George Michael reissue delayed

The previously announced reissue of George Michaels 1990 album Listen Without Prejudice, has been delayed until next year…

The four-disc super deluxe edition, two-CD deluxe and vinyl reissue will now be released in March 2017 and not as planned, on 11 November 2016.

The delay has nothing to do with the reissue (which will not change), it is thought to be about scheduling, specifically timing the release to coincide the the broadcasting of the George Michael documentary that is in production (working title “Freedom: George Michael”). The documentary (narrated by George) tells the story of the making of the album.

This film is expected to be broadcast on the BBC in the UK, Showtime in the US and will undoubtedly be sold around the world.

Listen Without Prejudice reissue will now be released on 3 March 2017.

George Michael

5. You Have Been Loved
6. Everything She Wants
7. The Strangest Thing
8. Older
9. Star People
10. Praying for Time

CD3: B-Sides And Mixes (super deluxe only)
1. Soul Free (Special Radio Edit)
2. Freedom! ’90 (Back To Reality Mix)
3. Freedom! ’90 (Back To Reality Mix Edit)
4. Fantasy ’90
5. Freedom! ’90 (Edit)
6. Cowboys and Angels (Edit)
7. If You Were My Woman
8. Too Funky (Edit)
9. Crazyman Dance
10. Do You Really Want to Know
11. Happy
12. Too Funky (Extended)
13. Too Jazzy (Happy Mix)
14. Fantasy ’98
15. Heal the Pain – George Michael with Paul McCartney
16. Desafinado – George Michael with Astrud Gilberto

Disc: 4 – DVD (super deluxe only)
1. The South Bank Show 1990
2. Freedom! ’90
3. Praying for Time
4. Freedom! ’90 (MTV 10th anniversary)

49 responses to George Michael reissue delayed

1. Gio says:

OK, all GM fans have this LP already in their shelves… so once again my question: WHERE IS THE REPRESS FOR “OLDER”?????

2. Rick says:

Sad news, but timing is everything. I still wish they would release a CD/DVD of the ENTIRE Unplugged show. It is a brilliant moment that showcases his musical talent.

3. Tyler Williams says:

Pffft … well, that’s disappointing

4. Javier says:

Well, it was the most important end of the year reissue for me, it’s a shame. But my pockets will be grateful…

5. Kiki says:

Well, I was hoping they would take time to improve the content of the box…

6. James says:

If it is being delayed to coincide with a documentary about making the album, would it now not make sense to include that documentary in the SDE?

• RJSWinchester says:

“….would it now not make sense to include that documentary in the SDE?”

They’re holding it back for the 40th Anniversary Super Deluxe Whamtastic! limited edition box set.

7. I was looking forward to this one on vinyl, but I can wait :) Maybe they can use the extra time to correct the name “Astrid” to Astrud Gilberto on the back cover (as per the photo shown here).

8. esque says:

I had received a shipping update from Amazon about the delay to Feb 10, but just this morning I received a new notice of the November 18 release date.

(I’m in the US.)

9. steven says:

The delay is more likely to be due to the current low supply of shuttlecocks.

I blame Brexit.

• Paul E. says:

@steven…you beat me to it! @Mr. Sinclair- better start planning next year’s April Fools’ Day post. This one has certainly gotten a lot of play. Truly awesome.

• James Lindsay says:

Shuttlecocks, that takes me way way way back to the Wham! Club Tropicana tour when they were hitting shuttle cocks out into the audience after shoving them somewhere, I wonder if that’s when I started smoking ciggies

10. JuzzyB says:

What a shame that a load of old stuff that people have already got has been delayed.

11. David says:

So what is the point of calling this Listen Without Prejudice (25) when it will be released next year which will set this on 27 years.

12. bob says:

This is very disappointing but really not that surprising.
    I suspect this delay has nothing to do with scheduling and everything to do with buying a few more months hoping that George will be healthy and well, then maybe he will carry out some kind of promotional duties for the album, or at least be physically seen in person.

13. Carlton says:

As much as I would rather have this sooner than later, I am thankful for the break this gives my wallet. There is so much coming out this fall, and I need to also pay bills and the mortgage.

14. Steven says:

This is a bummer. Been waiting for “Waiting Reprise” with improved sound for a long while. And I love the worry about Brexit in the UK. We in the US are dealing with a racist nationalist with no morals or merit trying to be president…

15. mike says:

Getting cheaper though which is good!

16. Paul Nolan says:

It would make more sense to release it in november as previously planned for the xmas market and then when documentary comes out there would be increased interest and it would sell just as much if not more

17. Isauro says:

Will the japanese version (cd bluspec 2) be delayed also?

18. Michael says:

How i wish they’d rethink that 2 disc set. The B-side and mixes set should be featured on that version. MTV Unplugged is nowhere near as appealing.

19. Carlos Barahona says:

I was so looking forward to this release. I for one would have liked the VHS version of Faith done into a DVD to be included in this package. That VHS version had George explaining Faith and it’s video. A DVD of that as an extra for the Super Deluxe version would have been killer. I along with some of you agree it’s giving out wallets a break…for now! Don’t get all crazy on Christmas and save for the release and try to get the other stuff. I am for in the meantime Christina Aguilera, Britney Spears and Lady Gaga’s. But the Documentary included would have been phenomenal. Not big on cable as I feel we the loyal fans should have gotten that as well. But cable release is more lucrative…I guess :(

20. DJ Boji says:

Does anyone know The content of The South Bank Show on The DVD?
    Is this a documentary or Single live Performances or both?

21. DJ Boji says:

Missed One thing to mention. Why did Sony Not include The GM live in Rio ’91 performance instead of the Mtv unplugged? For me it does not make any sence to include The unplugged performance which is from a later period. Another big miss are The instrumental versions of The songs. The instrumental version of Cowboys and Angels is absolutely magic.
    Sony Records Hope you will change your initial plans.

I’m pretty sure GM probably told them to include Unplugged. There’s a limit to how much discussion and negotiation can go on, otherwise George will just say ‘let’s not bother’ if he’s been forced to do something he doesn’t want to do.

22. gary says:

a delay.
    that will give me time to get ur cds out and play the same old stuff.
    oh the same stuff ur trying to sell yet again.

23. Neil says:

Amazon and HMV still saying the release date is the 11th November.

24. Friso Pas says:

I’ll say, delay it another month, and put the documentary on blu-ray (HD, yes please) in the boxset as well. It belongs in there, doesn’t it, Paul?

25. AnthonyC says:

GM has always felt there is an expectation that whatever he releases is of quality and highly commercially successful. So the delay of this release is no surprise to me. Historically all of his releases have moved around to achieve maximum impact.

However, I do find it a little odd that the marketing team didn’t assume the film would coincide with the release of the re-issue. GM is also supposed to be releasing a new autobiography but as ever with no firm release date.

It’s also odd the Symphonica Tour film was never released!

26. Anthony Hesseltine says:

I would’ve preferred a live DVD of the cover to cover tour. The MTV unplugged show belongs with the older album.

27. Ivan says:

It’s been so hard to be a GM’s fan for such a long time. He is lucky to be alive by now, approaching Keith Richard’s legend almost. I can’t believe he’s still being so annoying regarding even re-releases. I gave up on a new album 8 years ago.

28. bob says:

just got this e-mail from a Sony publicist:

“Update – Due to extra archive footage being discovered and further exciting interviews becoming possible, the George Michael ‘Freedom’ film will now air in March 2017. The Listen Without Prejudice album will now be re-issued at the same time.”

Presumably “archive footage being discovered and further exciting interviews becoming possible” equates to “we’re behind schedule” :)

29. Richard says:

I guess it’s now a 27th anniversary edition.

30. Neil says:

Over a week since this was reported as being delayed and Amazon UK have still not updated the changed release date.