George Michael’s manager confirms “anniversary album” due in the autumn

gm_lvp

George Michael‘s manager, Michael Lippman, has confirmed that an “anniversary album” – expected to be a deluxe edition of the 1990 album Listen Without Prejudice, Vol 1 –  is on the schedules for an autumn release.

Speaking to Billboard.com in reference to the forthcoming film Keanu, which not only features four of George’s songs, but also some has references to the superstar singer-songwriter woven into the plot-line, Lippman couldn’t contain his excitement: “A golden opportunity dropped in our laps. We were trying to find as much exposure as possible,” he told Billboard, adding “We’ve had an unprecedented 13 synchs this year leading into the anniversary album. It’s just getting started.” [‘synch’ is where music is used in visual media such as film, television shows, advertisements, etc].

Sony issued a Freedom! ’90 picture disc for Black Friday/RSD last year and George himself was fairly active in tweeting about #listen25, so an anniversary edition of his Faith follow-up always looked likely, but this is the first time it’s been mentioned publicly by someone in the know.

The Keanu film was released on Friday in the USA and features the songs Father Figure, One More Try, Faith and Freedom! ’90. It was directed by Peter Atencio and written by Jordan Peele, Alex Rubens. You can read more about it here. The reissue of Listen Without Prejudice, Vol 1 is expected in September.

Read more about this at Billboard.com

George Michael

Freedom '90 [VINYL]

Shop Price GBP Stock

30 responses to George Michael’s manager confirms “anniversary album” due in the autumn

1. DJ Control says:

Considering GM hasn’t tweeted anything since Feb (he’s obviously got more important things to do or smoke) I’m not getting too excited but an SDE of Listen Without Prejudice would make 2016 a slightly better year than what we’ve had to go through so far.

2. Johnathan says:

So excited that this finally seems to be happening! Wonder if they’ll include the ‘Red Hot + Dance’ tracks (originally slated for ‘Extended Plaything,’ plus others related to that cancelled release) as bonus tracks.

3. joe says:

Thanks Paul, good news this made my weekend, hope they put a live dvd of the covers tour that George done

4. André says:

This is GREAT news! It’s about time!

5. 2badmofo says:

Yes Yes YES! Make it a 6 disc set please, Vinyl Picture Disc, Bluray/DVD with C2C Concert & Promo Videos Also Make videos for Waiting For That Day, Heal The Pain, Cowboys and Angels, like the Lennon Legend DVD was done with a nice book & Postcards + Lyrics to every song

6. Glenn says:

Will it include the ‘Father Figure’ Instrumental?…

• timhaydu says:

thank you for mentioning it glenn! it was beyond belief to me that they did not include it in the “faith” reissue. how could they call it complete without it?
      -tim

7. Michael says:

Great news!
    Whilst not a big George Michael fan, I’ve has this album since its original release and love it.
    Was hoping it might get a remaster and reissue one day. Long overdue.

8. Gio says:

a re-issue of the older album on vinyl would be fine!

9. alan hansen says:

i’ll dispense with any humor. here’s my credit card. now just give me the damn thing! (and i mean that in the nicest of ways!)

10. Daniel says:

“Faith” was not a good re-release in my opinion. So many tracks missing.
    1. “Hard Day” – U.S.Shep Pettibone 7″ edit
    2. “Father Figure” – instrumental
    3. “Monkey” ( dub Version / instrumental )
    4. “I Want Your Sex” – the full alternate 12” Mix )
    5. non album single / mixes with Aretha Franklin
    on CD 1 – space: 39 min
    on CD 2 – space: 27 min
    result: 66 minutes – enough time for all these tracks and mixes
    So what can be on “Listen” ?
    The radio edit of “Cowboys and Angels” ? Wow!
    …and the boring “Back To Reality” Mix of “Freedom 90″.
    And ?
    They should put all the lost tracks from the unreleased album on CD 2 now.
    Many of them are since years bootlegged in different qualities.
    But we will see in a few months… I’m really curios about the forthcoming release.
    Again flop or this time top. I guess flop again….
    ( Daniel from Berlin )

• BlueGangsta says:

Here’s my fantasy (pun intended) tracklist.

Disc 1 – Album + Singles
      1. Praying for Time
      2. Freedom! ’90
      3. They Won’t Go When I Go
      4. Something to Save
      5. Cowboys and Angels
      6. Waiting for That Day
      7. Mother’s Pride
      8. Heal the Pain
      9. Soul Free
      10. Waiting (Reprise)
      11. Freedom (Back To Reality Remix)
      12. Cowboys And Angels (Radio Edit)
      13. Soul Free (Special Radio Edit)
      14. I Believe (When I Fall In Love It Will Be Forever) (Radio Edit)
      15. Freedom (Promo Edit)
      16. Cowboys And Angels (Instrumental)

Disc 2 – 1992 – 1993
      1. Don’t Let The Sun Go Down On Me
      2. I Believe (When I Fall In Love It Will Be Forever)
      3. If You Were My Woman
      4. Fantasy
      5. Somebody To Love
      6. Killer
      7. Papa Was A Rollin’ Stone
      8. These Are The Days Of Our Lives
      9. Calling You
      10. Crazyman Dance
      11. Too Funky (Digital Mix)
      12. Too Jazzy (Happy Mix)
      13. Killer / Papa Was A Rollin’ Stone (English Edit)
      14. Killer / Papa Was A Rollin’ Stone (Ligosa Mix)
      15. Killer / Papa Was A Rollin’ Stone (P.M. Dawn Remix)

Disc 3 – Unreleased Albums
      1 -11 Listen Without Prejudice Vol 2
      12 – ?? Trojan Souls Project

• Kiki says:

If I remember well there are some other versions of Too Fyunky you didn’t mention (Extended and 7″). It must also include the promo Edit of “Don’t let the sun go down on me”, as well as the tracks that were made for “prejudice Vol.2″ and finally ended in Red hot + Dance.
        “fantasy” and “I believe” have been put in the Faith reissue :-/ before…

There are also some tracks that leaked in rather poor quality …

That would be a great idea if for this time, Sony did a Good job and not shit like they did with “Bad”, “Thriller”, or uncomplete as “She’s So unusual” or “Faith”….

11. graham says:

would rather have a totally new album from george, it is well overdue

12. ant says:

great great news, for me the best album and finest moment of George’s career. Bluray vinyl or HD?

13. probablyrustin says:

Let’s hope the bonus materials are a bit less skimpy this time around!

14. Mike says:

Apparently he is in rehab in Switzerland at moment. Must agree with the earlier comment, there isnt any material released that would make more than a 1cd deluxe release, so lets hope for Volume 2 at last or a complete Cover to Cover live show.

15. David says:

He could use his Trojan Souls project and get tracks from that. It’s a great album.
    I have a fanmade Listen Without Prejudice Vol. 2. A bootleg with the following tracks.

01 – Too Funky
    02 – Disco
    03 – Happy
    04 – So Damn Hard
    05 – Do You Really Want To Know?
    06 – Crazyman Dance
    07 – Pieces (instrumental)
    08 – Killer/Papa
    09 – Lonely Nights
    10 – Fantasy
    11 – Safe
    12 – Calling You (live)
    13 – Day And Night
    14 – Tonight (live)
    15 – Thank You

16. Anthony C says:

I’ll be happy with whatever George Michael releases!

Can’t wait!

Cheers.

17. Andreas says:

Everyone’s crying out for the LWP2 tracks, so if he doesn’t include this as a separate disc, there will be a lot of unhappy punters. Accompany this with a ‘Cover to Cover’ CD/Blu-ray, and we have the potential for a great deluxe edition.

18. Pete says:

As much as I want to see something exceptional, my hopes aren’t high after the Faith “deluxe” edition. Also, how is 26 years an anniversary?

19. Anthony C says:

Contrary to most of the track listings above, I’d rather we didn’t have a compilation of tracks that are already commercially available on CD. The fans will already have all of those!

However, I fear we will merely get a compilation of tracks from the CD singles.

But lets hope there are at least some surprises.

Time will tell.

Cheers.

20. Tony says:

I think LWP is an outstanding work, but I am disappointed that this seems to indicate we won’t be getting any new music from GM for at least another year (apparently). Enough with the re-releases and re-workings and re-packagings. GM is a major talent–songwriter, singer, musician–and yet his last album of new material was released in what, 2004 (I am guessing here)? Will I buy a “deluxe” LWP? You bet. Will I love it? Probably. Do I have sympathy for whatever struggles GM is experiencing personally? Yes. But 12 years + for a new album? Really?

21. bob says:

I can only add what has been already said, I would love a fantastic super deluxe of this album, but this is George Michael we are talking about, he makes even Kate Bush look prolific!
    The Faith re issue was hugely disappointing so I only hope that this album, George’s masterpiece, gets the release it deserves, however, as a life long fan I am not holding my breath.
    I am not sure that there is much in the vaults at all, and lets not forget that George actually distanced himself from the album a few years later.
    Also they are a year too late for the 25th anniversary release, unless 26 means something these days.

22. mikey roberts says:

Thanks for the heads-up Paul. I’ll definitely be having some of that while we all wait for the Wham! reissues… ;-)

23. Guillermo E says:

Maybe is OLDER, this is the 20th anniversary of that album. The manager never said, it was LWP.

24. steven says:

No shuttlecock? No thanks.

25. Griffin says:

Many years I made these CDR’s myself. It was way before Aretha & George their albums got remastered & expanded. So those 2 @ weren’t on mine yet.
    1. I Knew You Were Waiting – For Me (Duet with George Michael)
    2. I Knew You Were Waiting – For Me (Instrumental Duet with George Michael) @
    3. I Knew You Were Waiting – For Me (Edited Remix Duet with George Michael)
    4. I Knew You Were Waiting – For Me (Percapella Duet with George Michael) @
    5. I Knew You Were Waiting – For Me (Extended Remix Duet with George Michael)
    BTW many tracks on the original Faith album were crossfaded into each other (next track beginning has the ending of the previous track & previous track ending has the beginning of the next track)! On the CD Singles had the full length tracks.

George Michael – CD Maxi-Singles Collection 1 (79:58)
    01 I Knew You Were Waiting (For Me) [Single Version] 3:57 Aretha Franklin & George Michael
    02 I Knew You Were Waiting (For Me) [Steve Thompson & Michael Barbiero-Remix Edit] 5:28 Aretha Franklin & George Michael
    03 I Knew You Were Waiting (For Me) [Steve Thompson & Michael Barbiero-Extended Remix] 7:26 Aretha Franklin & George Michael
    04 I Want Your Sex [7” Version] 4:47
    05 I Want Your Sex [Rhythm 1-Lust] 4:56
    06 I Want Your Sex [Rhythm 2-Brass In Love] 4:35
    07 I Want Your Sex [Rhythm 3-A Last Request] 3:48
    08 I Want Your Sex [George Michael-Monogamy Mix] 13:13
    09 Faith [Album Version] 3:15
    10 Faith [Instrumental] 3:13
    11 Faith [GL-Special Extended Version] 4:55
    12 Hand To Mouth [Album Version/B-Side ”Faith”] 4:36
    13 Father Figure [Album Version] 5:39
    14 Father Figure [Album Instrumental With Backing] 5:39
    15 Love’s In Need Of Love Today [Recorded Live By The Capital Radio Mobile, 1st April 1987/B-Side ”Father Figure”] 4:29

George Michael – CD Maxi-Singles Collection 2 (79:54)
    01 One More Try [Album Version] 5:50
    11 Kissing A Fool [Album Instrumental] 4:33
    12 Hard Day [Intro] 0:27
    13 Hard Day [Single Version] 4:22
    14 Hard Day [Shep Pettibone-12” Remix] 6:29
    15 Hard Day [Shep Pettibone-12” Extended Remix] 9:03
    16 Learn To Say No [Album Version] 3:34 Jody Watley & George Michael

George Michael – CD Maxi-Singles Collection 3 (78:31)
    01 Praying For Time [Album Version] 4:39
    02 Waiting [Reprise/B-Side ”Praying For Time”] 2:24
    03 If You Were My Woman [Live @ The Nelson Mandela 70th Birthday Tribute, 1989/B-Side ”Praying For Time”] 4:00
    04 Waiting For That Day (You Can’t Always Get What You Want) [Album Version] 4:49
    05 Mothers Pride [Album Version/B-Side ”Waiting For That Day”] 3:58
    06 Freedom ’90 [Album Version] Featuring Shirley Lewis 6:30
    07 Freedom ’90 [Back To Reality Mix] Featuring Shirley Lewis 6:12
    08 Fantasy [B-Side ”Freedom ’90”] 5:00
    09 Heal The Pain [Album Version] 4:45
    10 Soul Free [Album Version/B-Side ”Heal The Pain”] 5:27
    11 Cowboys And Angels [Single Version] 4:33
    12 Cowboys And Angels [Album Version] 7:12
    13 They Won’t Go When I Go [Album Version/B-Side ”Cowboys And Angels”] 5:04
    14 Don’t Let The Sun Go Down On Me [Live @ Wembley Stadium, 1991] 5:24 George Michael & Elton John
    15 I Believe (When I Fall In Love It Will Be Forever) [Live @ Wembley Arena, 1991/B-Side ”Don’t Let The Sun Go Down On Me”] 4:56
    16 Something To Save [Album Version] 3:18