Grace Jones: Warm Leatherette blu-ray

The reissue of Graces Jones‘ 1980 album Warm Leatherette is out in a couple of weeks, and the blu-ray audio, which offers more tracks than any other format, is now more widely available…

The blu-ray audio (no video content) boasts 32 tracks at 96 kHz/24-bit, which is five more than the 2CD and 4LP deluxe sets. It also has the appealing advantage of being significantly cheaper than both and comes with hi-res downloads of all the tracks.

This can still be bought via Universal’s uDiscover store, but is also available as below. You can read more about this reissue and the other formats here.

Warm Leatherette is reissued on 17 June 2016.

Grace Jones

Warm Leatherette (Blu-Ray audio)

Shop Price GBP Stock

• 6. BULLSHIT
  • 7. BREAKDOWN
  • 8. PARS

LONG VERSIONS:

• 9. WARM LEATHERETTE (LONG VERSION) 5.35
  • From WARM LEATHERETTE cassette ICT 9592 and b-side of 12” single
    12WIP 6645, released September 1980.
  • 10. PRIVATE LIFE (LONG VERSION) 6.17
    From WARM LEATHERETTE cassette ICT 9592 and a-side of 12” single
    12WIP 6629, released June 1980.
  • 11. A ROLLING STONE (LONG VERSION) 5.43
    Issued as a-side of 12” single 12WIP 6591, released April 1980.
  • 12. LOVE IS THE DRUG (LONG VERSION) 8.38
    From WARM LEATHERETTE cassette ICT 9592 and a-side of 12” single 600
    198 (Germany/Netherlands), released May 1980.
  • 13. THE HUNTER GETS CAPTURED BY THE GAME (LONG VERSION) 6.44
    From WARM LEATHERETTE cassette ICT 9592 and a-side of 12” single
    12WIP 6645, released September 1980.
  • 14. PARS (LONG VERSION) 5.41
    From PRIVATE LIFE: THE COMPASS POINT SESSIONS, released June 1998.

LONG VERSIONS, SINGLE VERSIONS AND REMIXES:

• 15. PRIVATE LIFE (LONG VERSION 2) 7.55
    Previously Unreleased Mix.
  • 16. PRIVATE LIFE (DUB VERSION) 8.04
    From PRIVATE LIFE: THE COMPASS POINT SESSIONS, released June 1998.
  • 17. SHE’S LOST CONTROL (LONG VERSION) 8.23
    Issued as the b-side of 12” single 12WIP 6629, released June 1980.
  • 18. SHE’S LOST CONTROL (DUB VERSION) 8.38
    From PRIVATE LIFE: THE COMPASS POINT SESSIONS, released June 1998.
  • 19. LOVE IS THE DRUG (SINGLE VERSION) 4.41
    Issued as the a-side of 7” single 101.819 (Germany/Netherlands), released May 1980.
  • 20. PRIVATE LIFE (SINGLE VERSION) 4.37
    Issued as the a-side of WIP 6629, released June 1980.
  • 21. SHE’S LOST CONTROL (SINGLE VERSION) 3.46
    Issued as the b-side of WIP 6629, released June 1980.
  • 22. THE HUNTER GETS CAPTURED BY THE GAME (SPECIAL SINGLE VERSION) 3.21
    Issued as the b-side of WIP 6645, released September 1980.
  • 23. BREAKDOWN (U.S. SINGLE EDIT) 3.00
    Issued as the a-side of IS 49603 (US), released October 1980.
  • 24. PARS (SINGLE VERSION) 4.24
    Previously Unreleased Mix.
  • 25. PARS (DUB VERSION) 4.41
    Previously Unreleased Mix.
  • 26. LOVE IS THE DRUG (12” SINGLE REMIX) 7.23
    Remixed by Paul “Groucho” Smykle at the Fallout Shelter.
    Issued as the a-side of 12” single 12 IS 266, released February 1986
  • 27. PRIVATE LIFE (12” SINGLE REMIX) 7.04
    Remixed by Paul “Groucho” Smykle at the Fallout Shelter.
    Issued as the a-side of 12” single 12 IS 273, released May 1986

Blu-ray Audio Bonus Tracks

• 1. SHE’S LOST CONTROL (LONG VERSION 2) 6.45
    Issued as the b-side of 12” single 12WIP 6629, released June 1980.
  • 2. SHE’S LOST CONTROL (LONG VERSION 3) 5.45
    Issued as a b-side of 12” single 12 IS 273, released May 1986.
  • 3. LOVE IS THE DRUG (SINGLE REMIX) 3.21
    Remixed by Eric “ET” Thorngren.
    Issued as the a-side of 7” single IS 266, released February 1986.
  • 4. PRIVATE LIFE (SINGLE REMIX) 4.04
    Remixed by Paul “Groucho” Smykle at the Fallout Shelter.
    Issued as the a-side of 7” single IS 273, released May 1986.
  • 5. WARM LEATHERETTE (FRANCOIS KEVORKIAN REMIX) 6.32
    Remixed by Francois Kevorkian at Right Track Recording, NYC, May 1985.
    Previously Unreleased Mix.

39 responses to Grace Jones: Warm Leatherette blu-ray

1. Fat Old Bloke says:

Why do they put out Grace Jones on BluRay and not artists that sell far more than she ever would?

How about some more Elton John BluRays in 5.1 ?

Captain Fantastic ?

• I'll tell you why says:

Why? Because I’m a huge Grace Jones fan & can’t wait to get my hands on this. I find listening to anything by Elton John very painful. So as it turns out everyone in the world has different tastes in music & thankfully record companies cater to everyone & not just you.
      Hope that answers your question. Have a great day!

2. I’m pretty sure it’s released on the 17th of June, not the 10th Paul.

3. Paul Murphy says:

In the case of this particular release, whilst not in any way a GJ fan, the extra material on this, coupled with the sound quality, has made it something that is now purchasable to me, so I guess it has achieved its aim there. But some Elton stuff would certainly be appreciated – Captain Fantastic never seems to make those ’50 Best Albums Ever’ lists, for some strange reason, and one would hope there’s some outtakes or demos that could bump up the Deluxe Edition into a Box Set. I wouldn’t mind seeing an expanded ‘Too Low For Zero’ myself, and maybe a Deluxe ‘Breaking Hearts’ with the [full-set] phenomenal ‘Summer Of ’84’ Wembley concert on DVD/BluRay.

• DaveM says:

Paul Murphy, there was a great letter in Aprils Uncut about the very subject of EJ not appearing in ‘best of’ lists. The guy who wrote it suggests that EJ never gets the credit he deserves in the UK as he was discovered by the US before he was in the UK and was passed over by the UK music press at the time and they never got over it. I think his run of classic 70s albums including Capt.. are unbeatable and are not dated in anyway which is the real genius. He also continues to make great stuff now. As for Grace, can’t wait for WL but just wish they’d put another CD in the CD version with everything on the bluray as well, then the price would have reflected the content.

• Rob says:

What’s even worse when it comes to Elton is that 5.1 mixes of Don’t Shoot Me, Caribou, Blue Moves and Rock of the Westies were prepared over a decade ago. (Greg Penny, who created the other Elton 5.1 mixes, has confirmed this.) Why we can’t get blu-ray audio releases of these four albums is beyond me. The 5.1 mixes have been gathering dust in a Universal vault and there are tons of people who would love to hear them.

4. michael poole says:

do have a uk release date for blu ray pf warm leatherette

5. Are you sure the downloads are high-res? There’s been a bit of fuss in the past because the download files on other Blu-ray audio releases were actually 320kbps mp3s (which is ridiculous, obviously).

Yes I am sure, because I checked with Universal. The last Grace was hi-res downloads too.

6. Ern says:

Thanks Paul for the links for this. I was checking the UK site last night for the blu-ray and it wasn’t on there.

7. Auntie Sabrina says:

I wonder why Amazon.co,uk are not listing this?

8. Scott G says:

Well personally I am looking forward to this GJ release. I’m a big fan (mostly of her later stuff). I wish they would release ‘Living My Life’ as well as ‘Slave To The Rhythm’ as well.

As for EJ I am also a big fan and have all the SACD releases which are IMHO benchmarks of the SACD format and multichannel mixes. They are just stunning. I also wish he would release his other back catalogue including the already mentioned ‘Rock Of The Westies’ and ‘Don’t Shoot Me’ which have been remastered in 5.1 and are sitting on a shelf somewhere.
    I guess this gives Elton (and the record label) something to keep in reserve for later release – perhaps for when he starts to take his pension.

I wonder if/when they will release MJs Thriller which has also been mixed in 5.1. I believe there were about 10 different surround mixes produced but MJ did not like them.

• DaveM says:

Scott G, on EJ, I don’t have an SACD player so have bought CDs of Tumbleweed, Madman, Honky Chateau and GBYBR on MFSL and ROTW on Audio Fidelity. They are all sublime to my ears, particulary Honky Chateau. The MFSLs sound like I remembered them the most from my late 70s vinyl years.

9. gwynogue says:

I had already ordered from uDiscover, but I was ready to cancel it and re-order from Amazon France – until I saw the postage cost (to Australia). Turns out it won’t be any cheaper (maybe even a bit dearer). What annoyed me (with Amazon Fr) was no postage options, only ‘rapide’ for 12 euros. And that’s 12-15 days! Doesn’t sound very ‘rapide’ to me…

10. alexzenon says:

Do blu-ray packages typically include the booklet? I presume it’s cheaper than the CD edition because the packaging will be standard blu-ray minus the “bespoke leatherette” trim.

11. memoryboy says:

Wow! Now that’s what I call a digital remaster! Sounds amazing. I got the 2-CD Deluxe Edition and also the Blu-Ray. One note, anybody notice the drop out in sound on the the left speaker on the ‘Private Life’ (Single Version)??? It’s at the beginning right when the cymbal crashes. It’s pretty obvious to me, wonder why this happened, maybe from the source tape? Either way I am very happy with this collection. Excellent job on the remastering.

• Randy Metro says:

I’ve seen this comment in a couple places. I checked all of my versions (5 by my count) with Audacity, and I can only guess that it is at the 3 to 4 second mark???? All versions have a little fluctuation or “drop” in sound in either the left or right channel for a millisecond. The sound doesn’t drop out completely, just the volume gets low for a millisecond on all 5 mixes, some the right channel and some the left channel. I don’t hear it as a glitch, mistake, or loss of sound.

12. memoryboy says:

I wrote a comment regarding the remastered sound on this and the sound drop-out on one track,… my comment was awaiting moderation,… it seems to have disappeared and not posted. I did clear out the cookies on my browser, wonder if that is why?….

13. Griffin says:

I can confirm CD2-6 Private Life Single Version had a dropout on the right channel @0:03~0:04! It’s also on the download I’ve got (unknown source)! But that’s a bit less obvious than the CD.

14. Erick Haight says:

Anybody have issues with the downloaded zip file from the Blu-ray? It’s on my computer (11.2GB!), but when I try to open it, I get an “invalid file” message. Just thought I’d check here before I went to Universal.

15. Chris says:

Hi Eric… Same here!!! Can’t unzip it. It always says INVALID FILE!!! SOOOO ANNOYING!

16. Chris Tait says:

Having the same problem with the zip file. Also waiting to hear back from Universal. Will post reply too.

17. Jack says:

Same here re download. Several messages to Pure Audio/Universal with no reply as yet. I would have ponied up for the more expensive cd release if I’d realised the promised download would be a waste of bandwidth………….

18. Tom says:

I managed to unzip it using Winrar, and keep broken files option. I have given up on Universal so called customer support a long time ago. The word “Quality Control” is completely unknown to them

19. EW99 says:

And I managed – finally – by renaming it as a 7z file type and using 7zip to unzip it (selecting the “auto rename” option when I got errors on file names). Universal customer support kept on sending me new links to the exact same file and saying the problem was my end. At least they kept answering I suppose but it would have been more use if they could have got someone technical to support me.

• Erick Haight says:

Thanks for the 7z tip…that worked for me as well. (But we both know it shouldn’t be that hard.)

20. Griffin says:

Glad I didn’t buy the Blu Ray for the download voucher for only 5 songs & lots of trouble for getting invalid file. I bought the 2CD & got the 5 songs elsewhere.

@Universal, put the 5 songs on a bonus 3rd CD making a 3CD set. Then everyone is happy. I guess most of us wouldn’t paying a bit more for the 3CD set instead of the Blu Ray with invalid download file. Good luck everyone with the download.

21. EW99 says:

erm…. Has anyone else noticed that the long version of Pars on Disc 1 is the Compass Point Sessions version and not the long version from the old CD (which I assume is the original long version from the cassette)?

• EW99 says:

Sorry, obviously it says on the track listing above that it’s from the Compass Point Sessions. I meant that it’s not the same as the other version which is missing from this release.

22. EW99 says:

Having got most of the bitching and griping out of my system and finally getting the chance to listen to the downloads I’d like to say what a treat this edition is. Fantastic sound; a real joy to listen to. The album itself is marvellous, obviously, but I love the track sequencing. I particularly like that
    a) the original vinyl album is allocated the prime slot
    b) one each of the original extended versions follow immediately (my only remaining gripe is that the version of Pars here is not the one I think it should be but still….)
    c) the a-sides, b-sides and extra mixes are grouped together logically rather than mixing them all up to make a more “listenable” experience
    d) nice to get an unreleased FK remix
    e) One of those Groucho mixes is quite a bit longer than the version I have on 12″ so that was a nice surprise

23. gwynogue says:

Oh, damn this bloody download nonsense!

Here in Oz we have one of the shittiest download speeds in the world so I knew I’d have to start early and settle in for a LOOOOONG day.

Anyhoo, after TWO HOURS and only 4 GB (!) it suddenly stops, saying “Disk Full”!!! Which is bullshit because the drive I’m saving to has over 300 GB free. I click ‘Resume’ but it just keeps stopping and giving the same error message. So I’ve had to restart all over again! And it seems to be going HALF the slow speed it was already going (!) so it looks like I have to prepare for a 15-20 HOUR shift…and it’s already 2PM!

Congratulations Universal – I know a deluxe edition won’t please everybody, but you’ve managed to create a deluxe edition that doesn’t please ANYBODY! CD buyers aren’t happy about paying more and getting less and blu-ray buyers aren’t happy about the download debacle.

It’s no wonder Grace looks so damn cranky on the cover!

Sorry Paul, I know it’s not SDE’s fault but I just had to vent somewhere. If it happens again, I shall be e-mailing a virtual dog-turd to Universal.

• gwynogue says:

P.S. Maybe from now on we should call them Univarsehole. :)

• EW99 says:

I was toying with the idea of buying a blu-ray external drive and working out how to rip the audio files from the blu-ray. I’m sure it would have been even harder but at least there would have been support from internet forums and the like so I would have felt like I was getting somewhere instead of being left to flounder around on my own.

• Randy Metro says:

This may not help your situation but….

I have my main TV audio run thru my amplifier which is the guts of my living room entertainment system. Nice to get all those TV shows, concerts, & movies from my Blu-Ray in booming stereo. Last night I heard someone knock on my door; it was the damned movie!!!

Years before CD recorders were the norm for PCs, I purchased a stand alone Pioneer PDR-509 CD burner which worked great for transferring all of my vinyl to CD, recording concerts from TV or music from VCR, and, later, DVDs. I miss recording in “monitor” mode (now I edit with Audacity) but I got lazy over the years and just rip & record on the PC. Now that $400 Pioneer is a glorified CD player.

Long story short, check for a buddy who might have a set-up like mine.

24. spaceboy says:

I could really use some help here, Paul (or anyone else). Just received this yesterday. Brand new copy. Went to d/l the tracks and got a “This code has already been used by someone else.” Has this happened to anyone else? Who should I try to contact? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Jason