Grateful Dead / Aoxomoxoa 50th anniversary edition

2CD deluxe • Both mixes of the album, remastered • vinyl picture disc

The Grateful Dead‘s 1969 album Aoxomoxoa is being reissued as an expanded 50th anniversary edition in June.

The two-CD deluxe edition of this anniversary celebration features two mixes of the album – one being a “fully remastered” version from the original 1969 mix and the other remastered from the definitive 1971 band-produced mix. These are both on the first disc. The second CD features unreleased live music dating back to January 24-26, 1969.

The 50th anniversary vinyl edition will actually be a limited edition picture disc (10,000 units) showing off Rick Griffin’s wonderful artwork. The audio features the remastered version of the album (presumably the ’71 version).

Aoxomoxoa will be reissued on 7 June 2019 via Rhino.

Grateful Dead

12. Doin’ That Rag (1971 Mix) [Remastered]
13. Mountains Of The Moon (1971 Mix) [Remastered]
14. China Cat Sunflower (1971 Mix) [Remastered]
15. What’s Become Of The Baby (1971 Mix) [Remastered]
16. Cosmic Charlie (1971 Mix) [Remastered]

CD 2
1. New Potato Caboose (Live at Avalon Ballroom, San Francisco, CA, 1/24/69)
2. Dupree’s Diamond Blues (Live at Avalon Ballroom, San Francisco, CA, 1/25/69)
3. Doin’ That Rag (Live at Avalon Ballroom, San Francisco, CA, 1/25/69)
4. Alligator (Live at Avalon Ballroom, San Francisco, CA, 1/25/69)
5. Caution (Do Not Stop On Tracks) [Live at Avalon Ballroom, San Francisco, CA, 1/25/69]
6. Feedback (Live at Avalon Ballroom, San Francisco, CA, 1/25/69)
7. And We Bid You Goodnight (Live at Avalon Ballroom, San Francisco, CA, 1/25/69)
8. Clementine (Live at Avalon Ballroom, San Francisco, CA, 1/26/69)
9. Death Don’t Have No Mercy (Live at Avalon Ballroom, San Francisco, CA, 1/26/69)

20 responses to Grateful Dead / Aoxomoxoa 50th anniversary edition

1. Ben says:

Who cares about the sound of the vinyl, I just hope the 1969 mix on CD doesn’t sound muffled and noise-reduced like the 2011 vinyl reissue!!

2. David says:

To heck with the sound quality. Make it into a clock and hang it on your wall!

3. Dave S says:

Clementine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. paul wren says:

Watch this short video for a concise explanation of the picture disc manufacturing process and why sound quality is inferior it’s all to do with the final thin top layer of the disc:

• Scott says:

Thanks Paul, that was interesting.

• AndyB says:

AAAAAHHHH! Turn the music down! NSFW, as I discovered. But fascinating watching.

• Paul Mortimer says:

Yes, p w – the appalling sound quality on many pic discs stems from the ‘sandwich’ of picture-inbetween-the-vinyl in manufacture on many discs.

Just about the first picture disc released was Curved Air’s debut, ‘Air Conditioning” (1970, I think) – looked fantastic, sounded like it was recorded is a busy chip-shop with all fryers burning! Anyone remember getting that?

My brother bought it on original release and took it back a couple of times, but the shop couldn’t provide a decent copy as every one sounded hissy. He later bought a black vinyl copy, which we play to hear the record properly, and just chortle over the pic disc in comparison.

Coloured vinyl often sounds ace – but I don’t have any decent-sounding pic discs.

5. Kevin Wollenweber says:

This is good news! I can’t wait for this, just to hear that original mix again.

6. Brex Tangerine says:

Most of the Picture Disc Vinyl sounds inferior. But I have the Bauhaus – Burning from the inside
    Picture Disc and it sounds amazing. Pressed in the late 80s. I was surprised.

7. Ciaran parker says:

Prefer a non picture disc vinyl version of the CD I prefer the 69 version and the live tracks

8. Scott says:

Beautiful cover and picture disc, but when does a release not qualify for ‘limited edition’ status? 10,000 copies-limited? I thought the pull of a limited edition was its collectability further down the line? Not trying to be contentious here just curious.

Dunno… but people’s main complete is that labels don’t give you a number, so at least they’ve done that, even it’s a bit one.

• Peter Muscutt says:

I’m with you there Scott – personally I only really trust numbered editions…(like the Heaven 17 interview booklet for instance!!). When it just has a sticker on it that says “limited edition” its a bit like saying, ‘well, we only pressed the album for six months’ but there could have been 500,000 copies made. Hardly limited! Also, is there any truth/substance in the lower the number of your limited edition, the greater it’s collectability? i.e. would you rather have number 1/10,0000 or 6,414/10,000? I guess it looks cooler on the label!!

9. Paul Mortimer says:

This pic disc looks fabulous and it is such an iconic cover – though I’d guess that the audio would be mediocre, as are many pictures discs?

Has anyone cracked this problem, or know of any great-sounding picture discs out there?

Most of them that I know are best suited to framing and hanging, or making ‘rock-clocks’ out of!

• Bogdan says:

I have Frank Zappa’s mono picture disc of We’re Only In It For The Money and it sounds great. But you are right, more often than not, the sound quality of picture discs is poor (in my experience, surface noise is high and they tend to crackle a lot). On the other hand, Aoxomoxoa looks too good to resist and they usually take great care of the sound quality of GD releases.

• AndyB says:

Most picture discs do sound pretty bad. Has something to do with the manufacturing process. If I were interested in the pic disc, I would buy both that and the 2 CD version. Then you would have the extra content and something cool to look at!

• Ken Ronning says:

My 2017 Sgt. Pepper picture disc is perfectly flat and quiet. Sounds and looks great. Maybe I got lucky.

10. John Ireland says:

Nice to see the original 1969 mix being issued on CD. All versions up until now have been the 1971 remix although the vinyl in the Warner Brothers Studio Albums Box Set used the original mix. The picture disc is going to be the 1971 remix.

11. Peter Stevens says:

THIS…is the one I’ve been waiting for!

• John H says:

Yes, same here. I’ve enjoyed the 50th anniversary series so far and this looks terrific, two mixes and some 1969 live tracks too.