Gregg Allman dies aged 69

It has just been announced that Gregg Allman has died at the age of 69.

The Allman Brothers Band was formed by Gregg and his brother Duane in 1969, although the band was beset by tragedy when Duane and then bass guitarist Berry Oakley were both killed, in 1971 and 1972, respectively (both died in motorcycle accidents).

Despite this, the band endured (for a while) and in 1973 delivered their classic studio album Brothers and Sisters, which reached number one in the US and delivered a big hit single in Ramblin’ Man. Oakley does feature on two tracks, with the other five featuring his replacement, Lamar Williams. The album was reissued as a super deluxe edition in 2013.

No cause of death has been released at this point, although Gregg’s long time manager and close friend, Michael Lehman said, “I have lost a dear friend and the world has lost a brilliant pioneer in music. He was a kind and gentle soul with the best laugh I ever heard. His love for his family and bandmates was passionate as was the love he had for his extraordinary fans. Gregg was an incredible partner and an even better friend. We will all miss him.

RIP Gregg Allman.

11 responses to Gregg Allman dies aged 69

1. Charles K. says:

Playing Live at the Filmore now in his honor. Hopefully he’s jamming with his brother somewhere now, RIP.

2. Bill Light says:

Devastating news. Saw ABB at famous Beacon run a few times including last one. Also can’t forget death of Butch Trucks, another original “brother” several weeks ago.

3. Truthsayer says:

Fly high Greg and forever smile down upon us,

4. Mark Carroll says:

Yep, I’ll be playing the Allman Brothers today… hope the neighbours don’t mind ????????

5. Galley says:

Gregg had been in poor health for the past few years. I saw the ABB in the early ’90s.

6. Dave says:

No more deaths please. This madness has got to stop. All these musicians going way before their time. RIP Gregg… You’ll be missed.

7. Tom says:

Being a lifelong resident of Atlanta I was fortunate to see the Allman’s (incl. Duane) at a free show at Piedmont Park,I was young and they had an impact. I’ve seen them many times since as well as solo Gregg shows. His death hits all his fans very hard. He will be missed…..

8. bobkiwicelt says:

Yep, an unfortunate fact of life is death. Probably the hardest thing to get your head around when you look at it. If you believe in a hereafter then I guess he’s with his kin now. Duane never left him, was always by his side through good times and bad. He always struck me as having a haunted look about in the last few years which I guess would be his body taking it’s toll. Anyway like all great musicians born after the invention of the phonograph, he will live on as long on as long as humans listen To the art know as music.

9. Wayne Klein says:

He had liver cancer.

10. Kenneth Tilley says:

Devastated. Don’t know what to say other than he will be greatly missed. RIP

11. Julian H says:

RIP Gregg, great voice, great organist, great band of “brothers”!