Hazel O’Connor / Sons and Lovers

Single disc reissue of the 1980 album, with five bonus tracks

Cherry Red’s SFE imprint will reissue an expanded version of Hazel O’Connor‘s second album at the end of this month.

Sons and Lovers was originally release in 1980 as the follow-up to her first album, the soundtrack to Breaking Glass (a film in which she also starred, of course).

The album was produced by Nigel Gray and features the UK top ten hit D-Days (which stands for Decadent Days). This expanded single disc reissue actually features three versions of that song: the album version, the better known Tony Visconti remixed version and the alternate ‘New’ version dating from 1981. ‘

“

Amongst the bonus audio are two live tracks (from the 1980 live concert at the Dominion Theatre) which include a cover version of David Bowie’’s ‘Suffragette City’ which features Simon Le Bon (Duran Duran were supporting O’Connor at that time).

This reissue is presented as a digi-pak and comes with a “richly illustrated” lyric booklet with an introduction from Hazel O’Connor herself. It will be released on 30 March 2018.

Hazel O'Connor

6. Do What You Do
7. Sons And Lovers
8. Glass Houses
9. Ain’t It Funny
10. Danny Boy
11. Bye Bye
12. Time (Ain’t On Our Side)
Bonus Tracks:
13. Ain’t It Funny (Live)
14. Suffragette City (Live)
15. D-Days (7” Visconti Version)
16. Time Is Free (Original ‘79 Version)
17. D-Days (Alternate ’81 ‘New’ Version)

22 responses to Hazel O’Connor / Sons and Lovers

1. Francis says:

For those who do not know who Hazel O’Connor is, watch this:

2. Mark B says:

Breaking Glass was an amazing album, it fitted the time but this album, the follow up was released so quickly afterwards that it got lost and didn’t chart. I think the original “Will You?” single from BG was released after this album was issued. Some good highlights though, Zoo & Do What You Do. Love to see her 90s albums To Be Freed & Private Wars reissued.

3. thewildeyedboyfromfreecloud says:

I saw Hazel O’Connor live twice back in 1981 and she was fantastic. “Breaking Glass” is one of my all-time favourite music films and the soundtrack is simply amazing. The follow up “Sons & Lovers” suffered from poor production but there are some very good songs, of course Tony Visconti saved the day when he remixed the single “D.Days” – compare his version to the album version and you will know what you are going to get! Hazel got back on track with “Cover Plus”, a great collection of songs thankfully produced by Tony Visconti including a great cover of The Stranglers “Hanging Around”.

4. Jon says:

To be fair to one of the earlier posters, Hazel was not known in the US. She only had a couple of albums released here (both were commerical failures here) and I’m afraid not very many people know who she is.

• AndyB says:

Thanks for the support Jon. I ‘ve made my final attempt, however feeble it may be, to explain my comment below.

5. Steve W says:

I wonder if she will get money from this? I know her fingers were burnt by Breaking Glass because her management effectively ensured all profits went to them.

I rmember seeing her in concert a few (many?) years ago and she asked everyone not to buy Breaking Glass because she got nothing from it. She preferred people to buy her live versions which she was in control of as I recall.

• Mark B says:

Hazel is currently touring both this album and the expanded Cover Plus and wrote introductory liner notes for both. So would assume yes as she has been involved.

6. Urs says:

A question to the Hazel experts: Is there any interesting material that could go on a Deluxe Edition of Breaking Glass? (I shamefully have to admit that’s the only album of hers that I really know.)

7. Stephen DC says:

1. Who is Hazel?! You must be very young so I’ll let it pass [:)]
    2. It will be great to have a copy of this that’s not a German Import that’s £stupid.
    3. I agree, I hope ‘Smile’ will be next although that was on RCA not Albion so wonder if the same rights apply.

8. Pete {in Australia} says:

Super excited about this. ALWAYS been a fan of Hazel’s work, since I got the soundtrack to Breaking Glass, back in 1980, even though never got to see the movie, until just a few years back. Got to meet Hazel once when she toured Australia, in the early 2000’s, lovely lady. At school I was learning to draw, and did a copy of this Edward Bell cover, which I still have.

9. Sam Lowry says:

Here’s hoping that Smile will be next. My cassette from 1984 gave up the ghost a decade ago and the last CD release from 2008 – on Cherry Red- has crazy second hand prices.

10. AndyB says:

No disrespect, but who is Hazel?

• RJS says:

No disrespect, but have you never heard of Wikipedia?

• Francis says:

How young are you to not have heard of Hazel O’Connor, one of the New Wave Rock Goddesses of the 1970s and 1980s?

• Francis says:

How young are you to not have heard of Hazel O’Connor? LOL

• Stan Butler says:

My first reaction to news of someone I’ve not heard of is to go to Google/Wikipedia/YouTube. You’ll get much more information there than a reply here. Was never a fan of Hazel but it’s good to see her work getting reissued.

• AndyB says:

I’m 48.

I went to Wikipedia. I watched a few videos.

But I am American, which perhaps I should have stated in my original post, and have never heard her name mentioned before. I was hoping for a British perspective on her artistry because she was obviously far more successful over the Atlantic. She seems to have some Bowie/glam thing going on, but it is rare for me to see an artist on SDE that I have never heard mentioned in my life.

So, RJS, thanks for the snarky reply. I am most obviously an idiot who doesn’t share your superior knowledge of late ’70s early ’80s new wave.

• RJS says:

A few albums aside (Taking Heads, Elvis Costello, etc.), I’m not a fan of new wave but if I wanted to read up on it, I’m sure the Internet would be the most logical place to start :-)

• CJ says:

To be fair to RJS, your question was, “Who is Hazel?” That doesn’t say anything about wanting a peron’s perspective. It sounds exactly like, “Someone please save me the bother of using one of the largest resources for information in the history of humankind, which is literally right at my fingertips, and which I am obviously using right now to write this message on.” So no, I don’t think he was being snarky, and please don’t use “being American” as your excuse, because, as an American, I will vouch that most of us have at least enough ambition to know how to Google something.

• AndyB says:

Sorry, guys. CJ, you are correct. I should have been more clear that I would like a British perspective on her artistry and impact. My original terse comment reflects nothing along those lines. As for being American, I was trying to convey a general societal ignorance of Hazel, not of the use of the internet, but because it appears that she really didn’t make much of an impact in the US, yet she has enough respect to merit a deluxe reissue of her work.

So, beyond an internet search which tells me very little, how did Hazel have a significant cultural impact in Great Britain? Was she a part of a musical movement? Who were her peers in the industry? I know that Duran Duran opened for her, but I have never heard of her; I have never been completely ignorant of any artist that has ever been discussed on SDE, and my ignorance surprised me.

Part of the reason I love reading Paul’s articles and the comments is because I love the personal connections people make with the music and the artists – “I saw Culture Club in 1982 and Boy George gave me his lipstick and bought me a Coke” etc., etc. I want to understand the artists, not just glean superficial info from Wiki.

Again, I am sorry.

So how does Hazel fit into the British musical landscape of the late ’70s – early ’80s? How did her music impact YOU?

11. Argh! says:

Be warned that these new Hazel reissues from Cherry Red are not remastered. They’ve just used previous CD releases and vinyl rips for some of the bonus tracks. I love Hazel’s early stuff but I don’t like this budget approach. They did Cover Plus recently and it was not impressive.