Heaven 17 / Play to Win:The Virgin Years / 10CD deluxe & 5LP vinyl box

Heaven 17 / Play to Win:The Virgin Years / 10CD deluxe & 5LP vinyl box

10CD box set of the Virgin Years • 1000 only with SIGNED print • Albums • demos • remixes • Also available 5LP vinyl COLOURED vinyl box set

Synthpop legends Heaven 17‘s Virgin Records recordings are brought together in Play To Win: The Virgin Years, a large format 10CD deluxe set which features all five albums issued in the 1980s, along with over 100 bonus tracks, including demos, B-sides, non-album singles and remixes. It will also be released as a 5LP coloured vinyl box set called Play To Win: The Virgin Albums.

The albums in this new deluxe set are Penthouse and Pavement (1981), The Luxury Gap (1983), How Men Are (1984), Pleasure One (1986) and Teddy Bear, Duke & Psycho (1988). Every album has A-sides and B-sides appended and then there’s a whole disc of demos and four further CDs of remixes!

Glenn and Martyn sign the prints for the limited Play to Win 10CD box set

This 10CD box is a large format (12″ x 12″) book style package which includes a 36-page booklet with lyrics, credits, photos and ephemera from the band’s collections, and brand new annotation, based on new interviews with the band.

An exclusive edition of the 10CD Play to Win set available only from Amazon UK will feature a print of the Penthouse and Pavement cover art SIGNED by Glenn Gregory and Martyn Ware (Ian Craig Marsh left the band just over a decade ago).

Play To Win will also be available as a special five-LP 180g coloured vinyl box, featuring the original albums.

Both the CD and vinyl variants of Play To Win will be released on 29 March 2019 via Edsel and Demon Records respectively.

Heaven 17

5. We’re Going To Live For A Very Long Time

Bonus tracks – A-Sides

1. (We Don’t Need This) Fascist Groove Thang [7” version]
  2. I’m Your Money
  3. Play To Win [7” version]
  4. Penthouse And Pavement [7” version]
  5. The Height Of The Fighting (He-La-Hu)

Bonus tracks – B-Sides

8. We Live So Fast
  9. The Best Kept Secret

Bonus tracks – A-Sides

1. Let Me Go [US 7” version]
  2. Temptation [7” version]
  3. Come Live With Me [7” version]
  4. Crushed By The Wheels Of Industry (Part 1)

Bonus tracks – B-Sides

1. Let Me Go [instrumental]
  2. Let’s All Make A Bomb [new version]
  3. Song With No Name [new version]
  4. Crushed By The Wheels Of Industry (Part 2)

CD 3: HOW MEN ARE

3. Contenders [US 7” edit]
  4. Trouble [7” version]

Bonus tracks – B-Sides

1. My Sensitivity (Gets In The Way) [featuring Jimmy Ruffin]
  2. The Foolish Thing To Do [featuring Jimmy Ruffin] [Version 2]
  3. The Foolish Thing To Do [featuring Jimmy Ruffin] [instrumental]
  4. Excerpts from ‘Diary Of A Contender’

CD 5: TEDDY BEAR, DUKE & PSYCHO

3. Play To Win [12” version]
  4. Penthouse And Pavement [12” version]
  5. Let Me Go [12” version]
  6. Temptation [12” version]
  7. Who’ll Stop The Rain [12” version]
  8. Come Live With Me [12” version]
  9. Crushed By The Wheels Of Industry [Parts I & II – uninterrupted single version]
  10. Sunset Now [extended version]

2. Dangerous
  3. I Set You Free
  4. Train Of Love In Motion
  5. Responsibility
  6. The Last Seven Days
  7. The Foolish Thing To Do

178 responses to Heaven 17 / Play to Win:The Virgin Years / 10CD deluxe & 5LP vinyl box

1. Thorsten says:

Paul, is there a chance you could replace the small photo with Glen and Martin signing the prints with a bigger size one? Would be a nice addition to the ltd. box when we can print it in a better quality. Thx so much in advance!

2. Pingback:Heaven 17 / Exclusive signed SDE ‘keepsake’ interview booklet | superdeluxeedition

3. MATT SPARKES says:

I kind of like the coloured vinyl box, I think Queen opened up Pandora’s box on that one. Still, is it really arsey of me to grumble about the DEMON labels over the original layouts?

4. Pingback:Preview: Heaven 17 on the SDE sofa | superdeluxeedition

5. Longtime fan of the first two albums, though mine were the Arista versions of Heaven 17 (the first compilation) and the Luxury Gap. Having this collection on CD format is worth the price, and I always enjoy lots of dance remixes.

6. Kevin Henry says:

I was so close to ordering this. My finger was ready, but then I told myself to dig out my H17 catalogue. I have the 2006 and 2010 box set of Penthouse and Pavement and the 2006 copy of Luxury Gap (and the five album set). Instead I ordered the box set of Imagine and the Bohemian Rhapsody bundle set due next month.

H17 are a great live band having seen them eight times. Great hearing Penthouse and Pavement in its entirety. Strange to hear that they are a support to Squeeze this year and not out on their own.

7. Mark Jensen says:

Realistically, I’ll probably buy this cd set independent of track sources/mastering quality because it has enough material I don’t already own, plus the book. However, of course I’d like to see more details on this before I buy it.

I’m ok with vinyl rips if its the only way to get a version or mix of a track – I mean if the original tape is missing or no longer exists, then what are the options? I’m not saying that’s the case here of course – I have no idea. I suppose if the original master tape of a particular mix or edit was not longer available, someone could attempt to recreate it from original master tapes, but in that case it would likely turn out a little different still. Of course, I would hope that every effort has been made to find the best possible source and mastering for each track in the entire box, but of course we know from experience that unfortunately that is not always what happens, and mistakes are also sometimes made.

There were some questions in previous comments about the 5 Classic Albums Heaven 17 cd set. I own this and overall, I am happy with the sound of these cds, and don’t notice much difference between the first 3 albums and the 2006 remastered cd’s of these albums with the following exceptions (these are just what I’ve noticed – there could be others): On Penthouse and Pavement, (We Don’t Need This) Fascist Groove Thang seems to be at a louder level than the rest of the album for some reason (perhaps this is just my imagination?) and Play To Win is shorter (I’m guessing this is the 7″ version?). On The Luxury Gap, Come Live With Me is shorter (again 7″ version for some reason?). On How Men Are, The Skin I’m In is about 10 seconds shorter. It seems like the fade just cuts out sooner, but the very last vocals also seem to occur about 3 seconds sooner, so it would seem there is some other difference also earlier on this track that I haven’t yet detected. For the last two albums in the set, these are the only versions I own, so I’ve got nothing to compare them against. I’m happy with the set for a way to hear these albums without any extra tracks, which I do often appreciate. After I get this new cd set, I could see getting rid of 2006 cd versions of How Men Are and The Luxury with extra tracks, but only if (and and this point it seems like a pretty big if) the mastering of these albums and their extra tracks in this new set are just as good. The 2006 Penthouse and Pavement has the 12″ version of Are Everything, which it doesn’t look like is in this new box.

8. Luke says:

Torsten, that is part of my worries, so I’m not going to order before any reviews come across. ;-)

9. Thorsten says:

Luke i would say: especially when it comes from Demon Edsel!
    Will we get vinyl rips again?

10. Luke says:

When do we learn from what kind of sources the audio is taken from?! I really like to know this before I order anything. Especially big boxsets.

11. Larry Davis says:

Just saw this when I got back to the States off the cruise ship Friday, and promptly preordered as this will no doubt fly…as for the Paul Young box, I’m happy there are still copies around…on Amazon US at least…so i will order it Friday on Prime and get it next week…if no print, I will contact Demon, and I am too curious how many spares they have around…i think I know why there is this pic problem…Amazon uses boxes that fit the set snugly to reduce movement inside and maybe they did not realize a pic inside a flap…with bigger sets I ordered in the past by Demon…Ben Folds, Debbie Gibson, Suede, the pic was inside, no problem, except sometimes it was on the bottom and got bent or crushed corner…the Debbie box it was on top…this Heaven 17 is likely on top, the pic, and I am sure the versions on the So80s Blank & Jones CD are all on this lavish set so yes please!!!

12. Straker says:

This is the only way they’ll get anyone to buy Teddy Bear, Duke and Psycho!

How much overlap is there between this set and the already released standalone special editions?

13. Martin says:

I have loved Heaven 17 from the outset.
    I own most of the above.
    I live in Sheffield.
    I see them live everytime they are in the city.
    I have purchased this without hesitation.
    I think around £9 a disc is worth the price, despite point 2 above.
    I am rather happy to see this release.

14. Elliot says:

I think I’ll wait for this to come down in price, I’ve got the 5 Classic Albums set so it’s just the bonus tracks that I’m missing.

What were the problems with the 5 Classic Albums set out of interest?

• xymox970 says:

No problems.
      Great budget set, as far as I am concerned.

It doesnt have any bonus tracks, unlike few of those that do (for the price).

• Neil Hunt says:

Elliot, I only had the 5 Classic Albums set briefly. The last 2 albums were fine, but if I remember correctly, at least one of the other albums (possibly The Luxury Gap?) had a few single edits used instead of the album versions, and I did notice a few differences in mastering quality between some of the tracks. I ended up buying the individual remastered albums instead.

15. Branny says:

I’m thinking “This is mine” rather than “you can have it all, i don’t need it”.

16. poptones says:

I tend to agree with some thing Garry said in his post but not his ending about box sets “only designed to get you to part with your cash.” All products are designed to get you to part with your cash and in the real world; nobody really needs cd, vinyl or box sets. You could live with downloads or just stream content to your phone or hifi system or you could use your money just to buy food, water, a house and everything you really need to stay alive…

Commercials are made to make us buy stuff we don’t really need per say (expensive cars, expensive food, etc.), mass production and modern capitalism system works like that. Wether we talk about a simple CD, a box set, a £2 single, etc., it’s all the same, each item has a price and each person can decide if they really want it and if they can afford it. Two different things. You can pay £13 and watch a movie at an Odeon cinema, you can pay for a museum, a zoo, a gig, etc. and you’ll be left with only memories after the event, you won’t have anything to show for it. Not even plastic ! It doesn’t mean you shouldn’t pay for that because a movie, a concert, visiting a zoo with your kids, etc. can be an invaluable experience and something you’ll remember for the rest of your life. Holding a box set in your hands, reading the book or booklet, putting the disc in the cd player or the vinyl on the turntable and listening to the music is also a memorable and enjoyable experience (if you really buy the box sets to listen to the music). In the end, to each his own, some buy for the music, others are just collectors, some buy in order to sell at a higher price and make a profit, etc. We’re all different but I think Paul’s mantra (the box set and reissue music site for fans who love holding the music in their hands) sums up the profile of people who visit this blog every day; I think most of us love holding the music in our hands, we love reading booklets, sleeves, lyrics, etc. I think that’s the big difference with movies. There’s a decline of physical movie medias (DVD/Blu-Rays) in sales and HMV suffered from it because people who used to buy dvds or blu-rays don’t mind paying for Netflix, Amazon or another streaming service instead of buying the physical product, there’s no real incentive to own the box. When you buy a DVD, you just play the content on your DVD player, you don’t really spend minutes reading and holding the product in your hands while listening, you just watch the movie. It’s different for music.

17. Dave H says:

Just to follow up regarding the Paul Young signed print fiasco (see posts further down), I received this e-mail from Demon today.

Hello,

Thanks for contacting Demon Music.

It appears that the packaging we created that contained the print was not used by Amazon, and the box has been sent without the print.

Please send us your proof or purchase and confirm your delivery address and we will send you a replacement print.

With thanks,

DMG

18. Garry says:

Hmm, this isn’t quite what it’s cracked up to be. It certainly isn’t value for money.

The CD set works out at £9 a disc – that’s not cheap at all, and, let’s face it, how many times would you really listen to endless remixes and edits of a limited amount of tracks before the novelty wore off and the boredom set in? Who knows what the mastering of the bonus tracks will be like and if you’re actually buying the same quality as a streamed compressed file? As for the vinyl offering – that is frankly an insult as it’s £20 an album with absolutely NO bonus material whatsoever. That really does stink. I am not biased towards or against either format, but I would respond to some of the (childish) comments in this thread and advise that vinyl is in no way on its way out and sales continue to climb, whereas CD sales are in continuous decline. That’s a fact, not an opinion or a prejudice. Hence why we get these CD based attempts to get you to part with your money for a stack of cheap plastic discs, which, please do remember, have a limited shelf life and will deteriorate in time, unlike the vinyl counterpart. It really is rather sad that some contributors attack others who simply enjoy and prefer the vinyl format. I get the impression sometimes that these people perceive vinyl to be an elitist choice, or a status symbol. Really?????? People are actually entitled to have a preference and I fail to see why this draws such defensive responses. Each to his own.

The trouble with these seemingly deluxe, completist, editions is that they rarely are complete for a start, and they sell on the basis of being a tempting gimmick. For most people (not the dedicated fans), they play on the weak self-indulgence and ‘Christmas’ moment in buyers. This is heightened by introducing ‘exclusive’ or ‘limited’ editions, which add a sense of urgency and superiority: “I have the limited signed edition you know, very sought after, only a 1000 made, worth a lot of money, have you checked it out on Discogs?” (therefore aren’t I the lucky one and have achieved something you haven’t. However, the value of my item is a fantasy as I probably will never sell it, and if I ever did I wouldn’t get the return on it I think I would, so I’d actually rather not deal with that reality, thank you, and will remain in my fantasy).

No doubt the uber-fan will embrace these editions as goals and achievements in their fandom – great. Nothing wrong with that. For the rest of us, just take a moment before you hit that “Buy’ button and think about what you are actually buying into. You’ll probably realise that you actually do not want the item as much as you think you do, and you certainly need it even less. By all means have a splurge on genuine pleasure from time to time, enjoy being a collector of rare and enjoyable items, but be cautious about jumping at these endless releases that are, at the end of the day, only designed to get you to part with your cash.

Garry, that was a bit of a depressing post.

You don’t like others complaining about vinyl, but you are going out of your way to say to try and persuade everyone that the 10CD package is rubbish. So £9 a CD is “not cheap at all”? How cheap do you want CDs to be? I was paying £15 for CDs in the 90s, so in a world where a large coffee costs £4, £9 for a CD, 25 years later with all that inflation sounds fine to me.

There is also a book, the artists’ time to get involved, sign prints etc. The CD set has over five discs of bonus material and that’s rubbish (“rarely complete”). The vinyl box is rubbish for the opposite reason – no bonus material. We are all weak and easily led by these evil record companies… c’mon!

Please credit people with some intelligence. We are all grown ups. H17 are a band many people love, and here’s a good looking celebration that the band have approved and are involved in. If you don’t like it, that’s fine but please don’t come on this forum telling us we’re all suckers. These products are created to satisfy a demand… I don’t really have time for this world weary “only designed to get you to part with your cash” business.

• Nowhereman says:

Excellent response Paul. And as for the assertion that cd’s will deteriorate when will this happen? My oldest cd’s are now thirty odd years old and there is no sign of deterioration so when does it kick in?

• Andyb deserves a place 2 b says:

Sounds like someone is bitter and probably missed out on the Wings 71-73 box set me thinks

• Chris Squires says:

It always makes me go blank when posts talk about a cost per disc. If that were any way to go about things we would all be buying those massive 50 disc readers digest boxes of Flugelhorn classics for £49.99. That’s more like it, a pound a disc.
      There’s always one post or other that breaks the cost down into component costs of raw material, right down to the paper for the book, as if cost of printing is the *only* yardstick to measure the quality of a set by. If Ford can build a Focus for £3,600 how dare they charge £10,139 for it, those lightbulbs are only 84p. As me old man used to say “You know the cost of everything and the value of nothing”.
      EVERYTHING is designed to get us to part with our cash. Everything. It’s how the world works.

• andy b in the place to see says:

now now, don’t knock Flugelhorn Classics…I have several of those box sets, sealed and looking to sell for a profit.

No, not really

• Paul Taylor says:

I try to look at price per disc in a positive way. If each disc works out costing less than a standalone album then I believe there’s no grounds for complaint, as you usually get some nice colours and extras to look at or listen to. I don’t think any of the vinyl sets I’ve bought works out at any more than £13/£14 per disc so in my eyes they are a bit of a bargain and excellent value for money; I’ve also listened to all of them
        The only one I’ve seen (but not bought) that was overpriced in my eyes was the Black Sabbath Ten Year War. Even allowing for a handful of 7″ singles and some useless ‘memorabilia’, at its highest price on release it was close to £40/£50 per album.
        Don’t get me started on the Appetite For Destruction wooden abomination! :-D

• Foxee says:

I actually think there are a lot of good points well made in Garry’s post, and I don’t think it is depressing at all – it’s refreshingly honest and realistic. I don’t think he is being biased about any format – he is very clear about that – and his points about CDs are well made, and his observation about the vinyl version of this boxset being a rip-off are also right on the mark. Plenty of other people have made comments in the past about the cost of a product broken down by disc or lp and they don’t seem to have received such a backlash.

I think it’s ironic that someone gets smacked on the wrists for pointing out that others are quick to criticise and be biased. Apologies Paul, but I think your response was very harsh and unjustified. I think Garry cleverly drew the responses he was highlighting…..

Good for you Garry!

I didn’t think my response was harsh at all. Garry’s post was full of opinion, which is fine, but it’s not a ‘fact’ that the H17 set is not good value for money, just one person’s opinion. It’s also not a ‘fact’ that CDs are on the way out – yes, they are declining, but as of today, CDs are still the more popular physical format than vinyl. Who knows what the future holds (do you remember when downloads were the future – how did that work out?) It is not a ‘fact’ that CDs have a limited shelf life. I have thousands of CDs, some 30 years old, and they all play fine.

The third paragraph criticises businesses for deploying standard marketing techniques to try to make a profit (by tempting consumers to buy their products) while the final paragraph criticises consumers for being gullible fools.

This is a website for people who primarily *enjoy* buying physical music, box sets and reissues. It doesn’t sound like Garry enjoys that at all. Everything is a rip-off, not complete, too expensive, hyped up by marketing… I stand by my earlier comment. It’s a bit of a depressing post.

• Daz says:

OK. If these sets make people happy, then great…. but it is fair to sometimes question the price of them. Obviously we’re not naive and we know that record companies motives are to make money… but unfortunately they often really take advantage of fans. Sometimes the quality isn’t there. Other times it’s too high priced. Sometimes there are lazy obvious errors when they’re compiled. A rush job to make money.

The problem that I have is… if you’re a life-long fan and the record company creates really expensive, perhaps overly-priced limited edition releases, it’s ever so tempting if you’ve compiled a near perfect collection… £90 is a lot of money for most people. Nobody can deny that.

You know as I know, many fans will buy them as they’re completists and they want their collection to be as up to date as possible, and yes it can bring them a lot of joy and nobody is forcing people to buy – yet, I think most us know that struggle to make up our minds to purchase or not. We’ve all been there, right?

So much vinyl is overly priced and it varies so much – but what upsets me the most is that it’s quite often (not always) the artists with the biggest fan bases that charge higher.

I love special editions and reissues, but I’m always going to question price points and quality.

I agree, of course we should question the price. But ‘a lot of money’ doesn’t necessarily mean ‘overpriced’ – it will depend on loads of variables… how much you like the artist, how much you value the content/presentation, how many times the catalogue has been reissued, how much disposable income you have etc. This comes back to the age-old issue of fans being willing to pay a premium for a premium product. I think we can agree, broadly speaking, that the H17 set is a ‘premium’ product as far as music box set goes… so a premium price is to be expected. We can debate £80 v £90 V £65 but this is supposed to be the ‘top of the range’ option with heated seats, leather trim and parking sensors.

• Chris Squires says:

There were a couple of good points in Garry’s post but they were so poorly made that any of the intent was lost. It’s hardly going to win any body over to the extremely debatable (in that it is worth discussion) point that some editions are a gimmick if you lump everybody who might buy it as “Weak” and “Self indulgent”. The messages in that post were so mixed and contradictory, defending rights and then slagging off those who exercise those rights. You either believe in those right to buy what you want and “all’s fair” or you reserve the right to criticize anybody who doesn’t think exactly like you. It’s an odd skill to get both in the same post. It dilutes and deflects from the point.

• CJ says:

The “CDs deteriorate over time” rubbish goes back to some manufacturing glitches in the earliest days of CDs that resulted in “disc rot.” Today, unless a pressing plant royally cocks it up, disc rot doesn’t happen, and it hasn’t been a going concern since the late 80s (if not earlier). If you have a disc after that era that develops disc rot, it’s because of a manufacturing error, not because of an inherent flaw in CDs.

The myth about CDs deteriorating over time is the same as the myth about menthol cigarettes having fiberglass in the filters–yes, one time there was a manufacturing error and some menthol cigarettes did wind up with fiberglass in the filters (which killed people, because that’s what direct lung exposure to fiber glass does). But standard menthol cigarettes do not have fiber glass in the filter, and properly manufactured CDs do not get disc rot.

Vinyl, on the other hand, deteriorates every time you play it because of friction. If you never play it, then it’s forever, so long as you care for it properly, but who loves music but buys it to never play it?

19. David Culmer says:

Reading through the missing tracks with interest! What matters to me is whether a track has never been available on CD (or non vinyl rip download before) so the long sought after ‘Skin’ on CD is almost worth the £89 on its own. We live so fast B side mix is a great shame so will have to live with the MP3 rip from the Greatest Hits DVD. Everything else, such as Are Everything 12″, has been on CD/digital download before as far as I can see. Happy to be corrected!

20. Dan says:

As a “millennial” who absolutely loves 80s music and loves these kind of deluxe box sets a la Soft Cell being the most recent, I love Heaven 17’s singles but was disappointed to discover their albums don’t match up quality-wise. I bought How Men Are on vinyl for £2 last year…

• tom says:

To be Fair Dan, Penthouse and Pavement and The Luxury Gap are their two classic Lps. How Men Are had a sprinkling of great tracks(notably the singles). After that it went tits up for them.

21. Glen says:

So any official word on wether this release is remastered? The Five Classic Album release was all over the shop. I have the remasters of the first 3 albums (which are great!), but I’m very interested to hear if the last 2 albums are and an obvious bonus would be remastered material for the rest of the material.

22. mike says:

i agree, i wish their album “bigger than america” would be released on vinyl-that is my favorite heaven 17 album!!

23. Rose says:

It’s a shame Australians are locked out of international amazon exclusive signed print copies as it only sells on amazon. We miss out.

• Glen says:

I’m in Oz and I ordered some gear from Amazon UK store (and Japan) before Christmas with no problem, but obviously have had the issue with the USA store (on which they have backflipped a little…you can order from USA in the Oz site for a limited range). Give the UK store a try. You may be surprised.

24. Dav says:

Not a huge H17 fan so won’t be acquiring this but how I would love one of these for ABC from The Lexicon of Love through to Up.

• Francis says:

An ABC collection would be great!

• Chris Squires says:

Lets face it. We could insert the name of any of our favourite early / mid 1980s artists with three or 4 albums under their belt and this kind of set would be perfect.

The two that spring to mind so far that have that kind of collection were Five Star and the Soft Cell set Keychains and Snowstorms (didn’t get Debbie Gibson, so can’t comment – more fool me). A-sides, B-sides, demos, sessions, remixes, full albums, unreleased, non-album, live, videos…..

ABC, yeah bring it on, a “proper” Human League set, absolutely, Wham! oh yes. They would need to have the material to fill 8- 10 discs. I would say Japan but that cupboard is bare, isn’t it?

Companies have to realize that there is no point in holding stuff back. We are at Rorke’s Drift, The Alamo, Custer’s Last Stand, The Battle of Britain! Physical music will not exist if they keep drip feeding half-baked, ill thought out dross into the market place. Make it Big (yes please), make it bold, make it irresistible…If you make it, we will buy it and we will buy it again. Make a nonsense of it and well, frankly I’d rather give my money to my daughter to see her through her travels…..

C’mon….be imaginative. Think Bobbie Gentry…..throw the kitchen sink at it and damn the bean counters. Give me your ABCs…….

• Rob Glynn says:

Brilliant Chris, well said! Personally, I’m going to get the H17 box set because of all the remixes, B-Sides and odds “n” sods I missed out on the first time they were released

Love this site!

• xymox970 says:

There is a great ABC comp called the Ultimate Collection (3CD).
        It has just about everything essential in terms of singles / 12″ versions from the first four albums.
        Unfortunately, no longer available….

25. StevieB says:

Thanks for the info, glad there was still some stock this morning, ordered the signed CD set with print, or for £1 less you can get the set without the print!!!!

26. Fulvio Chisin says:

Oh, did they come to terms to separate CDs from Vinyls? So good! Wish that anybody see that the vinyl maniacs and the digital appreciators are people of different kinds, so why shouldn’t they be respected? I mean, I don’t want to buy vinyl anymore but I’d like to buy the best versions of the whole artists’ catalogue on a digital format, so…

27. Michael E. says:

Looks like a great set! My only wish would be a DVD with all the Promo Videos….

• Neil says:

There has already been a DVD released with all their promo videos on their Greatest Hits compilation from 2006.

28. Richard says:

Not a massive fan of Heaven 17, but did enjoy seeing them (and Blancmange) live a year or so ago. I’ll stick with my 5 Classic albums CD pack at the bargain price of a tenner :)

29. Luke says:

(We don’t need this) big boxset ;-)

30. Rudi says:

Would love to have Bigger Than America on vinyl. With that album they were really back to the classic H17 sound, and is imho one of the great lost albums.

• Trash says:

@Rudi
      Have to agree with you. I thought the first four albums were consistently excellent but the fifth (Teddy Bear…) I still find mildly disappointing so when they returned (after a long break) with Bigger… I was excited.
      I also met Martyn Ware a couple of times around the time of the recording of that album and got invited to a studio session (in Ladbroke Grove in London) where they happened to be recording the single with Claudia Brucken. I think I was a bit star stuck at being in a studio with Ware, Gregory and Brucken and just about managed to mumble something like “Your album is brilliant” to Claudia (I was referring to Love: And a Million other Things which is still one of my favourite albums of the period).
      Anyway – my copy of Bigger was given to me by Martyn and so will always be a treasured possession. The fact that it is also an excellent analogue-synth pop album also helps.
      A vinyl issue would be most welcome.

P.S. I’m not sure they actually used Claudia brucken’s vocals in the end (at least I can’t find her credited).

31. Klaus says:

This is almost too complete for me, i could have done without four additional cds of remixes.
    Perfect though that the full bonus cd from the P&P deluxe is included, missed that one out when it was still affordable.

Hope that Play To Win sells fine so we can maybe get a blu-ray with the contents of the dvds from P&P and TLG plus additional clips from the Virgin-era next.

32. Lozza says:

Look a great vinyl box set but coloured vinyl? I’ve always had reservations as to the sound quality compared to the normal black stuff. Sensible price though for 5 lps.

33. SimonF says:

This is certainly a lovely and well put together set. But since my interest in Heaven 17 does not extend past the first two albums I will not purchasing it.
    A Human League set like this would be most welcome however, but only covering the first four albums (five if you’re including Love And Dancing) as they went totally downhill after that IMO.

34. Stephen Gilmour says:

Paul Sinclair. Agree can you stock a few for your loyal Aussie fans so we can get signed copies please!

Not going to happen I’m afraid. Demon have an exclusive arrangement with Amazon UK for the signed edition.

35. Scott Harding says:

@PaulSinclair is it possible you could get some stock to sell through your shop so us Australian fans can get it. Amazon UK geoblocked to us as you know?

36. Francis says:

This box set looks f**ing brilliant! I want to get this.

37. SPEEK says:

Does “The Foolish Thing To Do”, now included on the vinyl version of Teddy Bear, Duke & Psych feature Jimmy Ruffin? Or is it a different version?

38. negative1 says:

a very good boxset on cd.
    not great, just missing enough stuff to make it not great.

even though i have most of the tracks, will wait awhile and then get it.
    especially for the book..

of course, there will be issues with the tracks, mastering, etc.

this is edsel we’re talking about here.

later

• SimonP says:

I agree with everything you said.

There are quite a few contemporary tracks missing, but lots of aftermarket remixes from the 1990s and 2000s that spoil it a bit for me. Would’ve liked all the bonus tracks from the How Men Are digital release. I also have most of the stuff on here, but will get an order in once I know how it sounds. Not bovvered by the signed print, especially as one signature won’t be present…

39. ToZ says:

I’m also waiting for the Virgin years box set… but from Gong which should also come this year hopefully !!!

40. Stephen K says:

Heavenly. It could be they realized that studio albums 4 & 5 are a bit ‘stifled’ or ‘clunky’ sounding compared to the earlier ones, and figured this was the way to publish that material – bundled with their more critically acclaimed work. At any rate, I’m excited enough that I’m without my usual observations of what mixes remain unreleased on here. I’m plenty satisfied with the content!

41. Dougie says:

I’m with the above. Would have bought the vinyl with the extra remixes. Opted for CDs instead.

42. Ximo says:

This is the kind of boxset we need too from The Human League and not what we got instead

43. Tyler Williams says:

Hey Paul … what can you tell us about the remastering of these albums/tracks, if any?

44. Martyn Alner says:

Looks like a great box, and I’m very pleased to see the Rapino Mixes of “(We Don’t Need This) Fascist Groove Thang” on this set. Saw Heaven 17 Live last year when they played Bournemouth O2 – they were brill.

45. Torchomatic says:

I’m staggered at the cost of the vinyl. I like H17 as much as the next man but they’re hardly essential listening. All albums are patchy, even P&P.

I’d much rather have a vinyl Music For Stowaways and/or Music For Listening To reissue.

Should be £40 tops for a band like H17.

• Trash says:

You are *so* wrong :-)

• Torchomatic says:

Each to their own, obviously. For me though…I bought Groove Thang, I’m Your Money, Play To Win, Height Of The Fighting, P&P 12 inches and the first LP, and even some of those were a little dodgy. Not really had much interest after that, liked the odd thing; Sunset Now, Contenders, but not enough to pay nearly a hundred quid for this set.

46. David says:

ordered looks like a great set.Suprised they’ve not included reproduction and travelogue in the set too

47. Jose says:

Any chance that “The Lost Demos 1980” will see the light of day as a standalone CD outside this box? I’d love to sit it a a sequel to the prequel which was ‘The Golden Hour of the Future’ (2002)

• Neil says:

It’s already been released on the box set of Penthouse And Pavement in 2010. So it’s not exclusive to this box set.

48. Steven Roberts says:

Looks good – very similar in format to the Debbie Gibson set from a year or two ago.

I do wish they’d included a DVD/blu-ray with the singles at least mixed into 5.1 – would H17 sound GREAT in 5.1? – but can’t have everything, I guess….

• Glen says:

5.1mixes would be fantastic. I dropped Martyn a tweet a while back. If we all did that we may persuade him. After all, his Illustrious Company is the king of surround. I’ve enjoyed many of his installations over the years. I’ve always found it strange he never did this with his own material.

49. Manuel says:

I read “play to win a CD set”…but no.

Bummer!

50. Paul English says:

Excellent set – ordered – CD10 looks amazing.

51. Schu says:

Thanks for the SDE Alert and Weblink Paul. Let me go and order this . . .

52. Steffen says:

Is there really a “dub version” of Crushed By The Wheels Of Industry? The “dub version” on the US 12″ seems to be the same as the Extended Dance Version (which is also included).

By comparing with my collection at least these are left out…
    Are Everything (Special Fortified Dance Mix) (04:28)
    Soul Warfare (Instrumental Mix)* [Hot Gossip] (04:59)
    We Live So Fast (7″ Mix)* (03:49)
    Lady Ice And Mr. Hex (Endless Remix)° (03:47)
    9 Instrumental “How Men Are” Demos
    4 “How Men Are” Full Length Versions
    Sunset Now (12″ Instrumental) (05:21)
    Chase Runner (Counterforce II Original Version) (02:59)
    And That’s No Lie (Edit) (09:05)
    Flamedown (12″ Version) (03:14)
    Heaven 17 Megamix (Edit)* (06:33)
    The Ballad Of Go Go Brown (Dance Version)* (05:07)
    (We Don’t Need This) Fascist Groove Thang (Rapino Instrumental)* (05:42)
    Higher & Higher Megamix (09:40)

53. Foxee says:

I am so f***** off!!! Why can’t we have a bigger vinyl box with a selection of the bonus material???? This is a real kick in the teeth and not thinking about the fans at all! Come on guys – you are of the vinyl era – where’s your loyalty???? Sorry but you can keep your CD set and your print.

54. Rob says:

9 tracks which were previously available to purchase, on the digital versions of Penthouse & Pavement, The Luxury Gap & How Men Are, are missing from this set:

(We Don’t Need This) Fascist Groove Thang (Censored Version)
    Are Everything 7″
    Temptation (Backing Track)
    Come Live With Me (Backing Track)
    Sunset Now (Full Length Version)
    The Fuse (Full Length Version)
    Flamedown (Full Length Version)
    Reputation (Full Length Version)
    Sunset Now (12″ instrumental)

There are also two unique mixes from CD that are NOT on this package:

Chase Runner – remix of Counterforce. From Electric Dreams soundtrack.
    The Height Of The Fighting (Endless version) – from the CD Compilation Higher & Higher. Originally from the cassette version of the remix album Endless. A slightly different mix to the 1982 remix.

There are also three edits not available on CD:
    Heaven 17 Megamix 7.50 [edit] – we have the full remix so not essential
    The Fuse – b side version, not essential IF they included the full version
    Flamedown – b side version – not essential IF they included the full version

There are two tracks not available on CD and long awaited by fans. Sadly not on this set:
    We Live So Fast 3.50 [Special B-side Remix]
    Let Me Go! (Extended Instrumental)

Finally the following cassette only items would have been nice:
    How Men Are Instrumentals – fan club cassette
    Lady Ice & Mr Hex (remix) – cassette from Electronic Soundmaker magazine

Apart from that it’s a genuinely great set!

• mike says:

So Paul, a test of your power, how many of these can you get added please? :)

I must admit Ihad forgotten about the ‘How Men Are’ digital foursome, they are all very much longer versions, so perhaps they are the versions now on the main How Men Are disc?

55. xymox970 says:

One of my most treasured possessions from Heaven 17 is the 12″ This Is Mine with the Filmix / Cinemix versions, but especially because of the extra track “Skin”. “Skin” is definitely one of the most beautiful pieces of music they have ever created. I believe tracks like these reveal the greatness of a band – and thats how good they were at that time – in 1984. I have noticed that “Skin” is included in this set, but since there is no running time, it is not clear if its only the 7″ or the grandiose 12″ version. I wish both were, but what can you do ? I am sure they know how good they were at that time, so both versions should have been included here in such an extensive set.
    The Luxury Gap was certainly ahead in terms of singles, but for the overall quality of a album, I would go for How Men Are over the first two any time…..

This wonderful box is certainly good news for the fans, but as for the price, I guess the same applied as it did in the case of Keychains & Snowstorms. Wait a few months after the initial release and the price is bound to go down by 25/30%……and thats the right time to pull the trigger.

• Robert says:

what’s the duration of the extended version of Skin?

• xymox970 says:

7:25 – 12″ version
        3:40 – 7″ version

A huge difference.

• Robert says:

Do you have the extended version of Skin? I can’t seem to find any reference to it on any discography sites. Are you sure it exists?

• Guy says:

There is no extended version of Skin. If you are using Discogs as your reference, then that entry is wrong.

• xymox970 says:

My mistake.
            On the 12″ the running time of This Is Mine (Cinemix) is 07:25, and Skin (the only studio version) is 03:40 as previously pointed out.

• John Archbell says:

..then you run the risk of miss firing.

On a personal level I would normally go for the vinyl but there seems to be a trend here that it’s a ‘no brainer’ to go for the CD set. Speaking as somebody who does not own any Heaven 17 albums and is a synth fan that grew up in the greatest decade of music, I think I am going to opt for the CD set. I mean, just look at all those goodies!!

I’ve also noticed that the Simple Minds CD Boxset Rejunvenation is also released on the 29th March. I call that fate. Buy now, pay later. Don’t mind if I do.

• SimonP says:

I’ve wasted money on buying stuff from discogs because of BS track durations added on there. Boils my bladder contents!

56. Ken Murphy says:

Let’s hope Amazon remember to put the signed print in with the box! (Yes, yet another Amazon Paul Young purchaser who didn’t get the signed print!)

Email already gone to Demon though, so fingers crossed.

This is a bigger set so the print will likely be *in* the package. Sorry to hear you didn’t get the PY print.

• Mark H says:

I was also missing the signed print for the Paul Young box set from Amazon.
      Contacted their help desk and got a 30% refund.Would have liked the print but hey-ho.

• Bridge says:

I received my Paul Young boxset and could not find the signed print either…until I thought must still be in the packaging box. Its an A4 size photo (approx. 8×10) inside a cardboard sleeve, so was very easy to miss. Almost went out with the trash!

• Dellertronic says:

I did the same thing… was in the recycling before I decided to fully investigate the packaging and found it. I wondered how many did get accidentally binned.

• Dave H says:

Thanks Mark H for letting us know about the discount.

I hadn’t opened my box until today and after reading all the comments, I wondered if I received a print or not. I hadn’t received the print either and it’s definitely not in the box.

Once I contacted the help desk they initially wanted me to return the item. Obviously, I didn’t want to return the item but was able to suggest a 30% discount for its misleading information.

I wonder if Amazon have these Paul Young signed prints laying around or has someone pocketed them?

Hopefully, better luck with Heaven 17!

57. Isaías says:

My God!!
    What is It??
    I just can’t believe in It!! That’s too much even to my better dreams. I’ve been waiting for the How Men Are album clamshell edition a couple of years since Virgin released the first two albums that way but this box with such a 7″ versions and 12″ remixes altogether is something that I couldn’t even imagine. I pray for Edsel to do the same to the Human League albums, or Japan, or OMD, or Echo and The Bunnymen, or Eurythmics, or Culture Club, or Duran Duran…

Ok, stop dreaming !!!
    Feet on the ground please !!!

But on second thoughts all these bands deserves the same treatment !! Don’t you think ??

It seems to me 2019 will be a promising year. I get the feeling that up to the end of it good boxes will come.
    Hummmm, Tears For Fears Seeds Of Love !!!
    How knows ???

I need to prepar my wallet !!!!

58. Mickey stevens says:

This is extremely tempting. Not only was the music well-written and well-produced, it was well-recorded. If you are ever testing new speakers or headphones, “Let Me Go” is a great track to use.

59. poptones says:

Always liked Human League’s early incarnation (The Future) and their first two albums. Phil Oakey’s Human League and Heaven 17 were never as good but it’s still two of the best synth-pop bands of the 80s. I won’t buy that box set because I already have the albums but it’s a pretty nice box set (CD version). For the vinyl, you can find them for cheap in record fairs or discogs.

60. Dylan says:

Maybe my reading comprehension is not great but does it say anything about whether the post Luxury Gap albums are remastered?

61. Ron de Joode says:

Hopefully the remixes are not ‘remastered’ from vinyl … that’s always a risk when buying this boxsets without no information about the sources which are used, especially when it comes to twelve inch mixes.

62. Kauwgompie says:

No brainer for every 80’s new wave/synth fan. Excellent albums well worth the reissue. I bought the P&P and TLG 2CD/DVD reissues at the time. They are still unopened so I could sell them and finance this one. Either way, ordered. Great set, love all the remixes and B-sides.

63. Mark Scholes says:

Well had to miss the last tour due to end stage liver disease…not alcohol related! Having just received a new liver, this is a wonderful way to cheer up my recovery. What a band, it’s an honour to be a fan!

• Chris Squires says:

eek! Here’s to a swift recovery Mark.

• Eamonn says:

Wow, hope you’re on the mend, Mark.
      Just been diagnosed with Haemochromatosis (high iron, genetic condition ) so have to keep an eye on my liver.

• Kauwgompie says:

Eamonn, I also have hemochromatosis. Congenital, nothing you can do. Good luck with all the blood donations, you get used to it.
        Mark, I wish you a speedy recovery and a H17 concert in your future! Great band!
        Sorry didn’t mean to turn this into a hospital forum Paul.

• Mark Scholes says:

Thanks for your good wishes. Was really fed up missing the last tour, but can’t wait for the next one. A band making up for list time as a live act, just love them!RSD next, missed out on the fun last year, not just ears that makes all this music fun! Thanks again, best wishes to you…

• Mark Scholes says:

Thanks Eamon, you’ll be fine I’m sure, but watch those Liver tests! I got caught unawares, but really on the mend now. I can also recommend the Kate bush story on the iplayer as great music therapy, as i discovered late last night kn ny ward of loud snorers! We so lucky to have great music in our lives..

• Mark Scholes says:

Thanks for all the best wishes everyone, really appreciated as I am getting my life back. Can’t wait for these sets, despite all the other bands i love, Heaven 17 just have that little something extra! Hope we all enjoy them for years to come…

64. Rob says:

I’ve seen H17 a couple of times live, alongside other 80’s artists on a themed night, I’m probably more a casual “greatest hits” listener but, like the erasure FMTM Box, this is a fantastic price point!
    I’ll check out a couple of their albums and decide.

RE: the post about Queen, is that true?

65. Derek says:

Ordered! Looks great. Has nobody done the ‘Oh, it’s missing this and that’ thing yet? Can I start? I can’t see the Are Everything 12″ version (assuming that the version listed is the 7″. They are different). Other than that, just some instrumentals. Although, a few years ago a digital edition of How Men Are was issued with 4 “Full length album version” as bonus tracks. I don’t see those here. Maybe they will replace the original album versions.

66. David Stanley says:

Been a fan since they released the American compilation of the first and second album and singles together (with horrible cover), and then upon finding out the truth, searching for all the original components. On my first trip to London, I found one of my greatest prizes, the 12″ of “Let Me Go” with the shimmering silver cover, still one of the all-time best extended versions ever created. Also found Numa-era Gary Numan singles which along with so much else were impossible for me to get in the U.S.

Not sure if I’ll get this set, however, since I’ve bought and re-bought so much Heaven 17 from vinyl singles, vinyl albums, CDs, remastered CDs, deluxe remastered CDs, and even the Original Album Classics.

67. Ian Harris says:

First thing I can see missing (STILL!) is the superior 7″ mix of We Live So Fast.

Fascist Groove Thang…7″ is the album version and the 12″ is just the album version with the BEF ident added. I think. So why’s that on 3 times? Hopefully one version will be the censored one.

No How Men Are fan club instrumentals; I’d much rather have those than a disc of crappy 90s remixes I’m never going to play.

• xymox970 says:

“How Men Are” fan club instrumentals would have indeed been the reason to go for this set.

• Derek says:

Live So Fast from the Temptation 7″? I never realised it was different! I’ll have to get a copy. That single came out a few weeks before the album. Maybe they tweaked the track a bit for the album

68. DJ Salinger says:

Presumably this set makes the deluxe edition outing for ‘How Men Are’ an even more remote possibility now? Pity.

1998’s comeback LP ‘Bigger Than America’ may also be reissued this year, on vinyl at least. It got a bit lost at the time it first appeared, that one.

Saw them live last year on the ‘Luxury Gap’ anniversary tour, and a thoroughly good time was had by all. For a band that spent their ’80s imperial phase studiously avoiding playing live, they’re really good at it.

69. Jan V says:

Ordered the cd set. According to me the last 3 albums have never been remastered. It’s a bit steep in price but the authograph is a nice bonus. Any idea about how many boxes are signed?

70. Barry says:

Just ordered. Good deal to the US. Thanks Paul

71. mike says:

Cannot wait to see the first ‘its’ missing X and Y’ comment, or have they nailed it? One hopes so, their back catalogue deserves such a set.

• Jon says:

That’s my guilty favorite part of the comments–all the nitpicking. And the “I already have everything, so I don’t this” comment–thanks, mate, for letting us know!

72. Tony says:

Forgot the brackets around; ( and that’s no lie )

73. Paul E. says:

I saw Glenn’s face in that signing photo and HAD to buy the autographed 10 CD Set! Guilty of triple-dipping [at least] and will hold on to my box sets of the individual albums with DVDs from a few years back. Thanks for putting this on my SDE radar Paul!

74. John Wede says:

CDs ordered. No brainer.

Vinyl would look amazing but will wait to see if the price falls a bit…or maybe not…they do look lovely.

75. kevin says:

There’s always money in the banana stand.

76. Ole says:

FANTASTIC!!!!! That’s the REAL motherlode!!!!!
    It’s more than perfect. Both boxsets.

77. Paul H says:

For completeness it seems a shame not to include “Endless”. Also frustrating that having done commemorative box sets for P&P and Luxury Gap, that the other albums were not pursued in the same way, but its a nice looking set and I’m still in.

78. David Hughes says:

Am I reading the Amazon listing correctly that this is from Demon not Universal? Not their biggest fan (even less so after I opened a record shop in 2017) and was exposed to even more of their product and the questionable QC.

Any insight into mastering etc?

79. John Kent says:

As a Sheffield lad I’ve jumped straight on the signed CD edition

80. Phil G says:

As a long-time H17 fan, this is a complete no-brainer for me. Shame ICM couldn’t be cajoled into the signing but as you say, he’s not in H17 anymore, Toto…

The set looks pretty comprehensive to me. Thrilled to see their cover of My Sensitivity (Gets In The Way) [featuring Jimmy Ruffin] getting a CD release at last – a terrific version.

81. Chris Squires says:

Brilliant, to a casual listener who has always liked them it looks superb, I’m sure it is missing something like the 7″ instrumental version (edit) of something or other, but to me it looks great.

Would kill for a comprehensive SDE compilation like this for some of my other favourite artists, like ‘ole TinTin Duffy……

82. Graeme Black says:

Ordered the cd set.Looks the biz.

83. Leeuk says:

I would have bought the vinyl edition if they had bothered with extra tracks/mixes as either double albums for each of the albums or bonus vinyl tagged on the end. Shame

• Chris Squires says:

It’s a good point, I’m sure the model that The Police had with 5LPs and a bonus LP would have made this sell better, although I am sure it will do OK anyway….

• RobS says:

Agreed, what a let down. Coloured vinyl is all they could come up with….I have the first 3 from back in the day plus a healthy smattering of 12 inches so will pass but might be tempted by a standalone Contenders

84. I would be so much happier if I knew that the vinyl came with a digital download of the entire CD set.

Which it likely won’t :-(

85. Clive says:

That’s a bunch of bananas for me please

86. Darren Briscoe says:

A bit pricey for me as I already have most of these tracks in one format or another. Any indication that the vinyl albums will see stand alone releases as luxury gap is a must have.

87. andrew R says:

Or you can buy the 5 remastered cd set from 2016 in card sleeves for £13.49
    Currently available at amazon uk .Even with their signatures £90 really??

Or you can buy a bunch of Bananas for £1.35…

• Derek Langsford says:

While the first 3 albums tower over the latter two, this is a monumental set that provides the definitive collection of material for this period of the band. With 10 very full CDs, including the albums, all a-sides, b-sides, 12 mixes and remixes, a book, and a signed poster for £90, this is an essential purchase for a H17 fan. Far better value than the Human League set that originally priced similarly with only 3 CDs and a DVD.

Pre-ordered immediately!

Surprised this wasn’t identified in the 2019 preview – did they keep it that quiet?

Thanks Paul!

• andrew R says:

Tried that idea Paul now have a useless cd player full of
        bits of pulped banana and it didn’t play Facist groove thing either

• Paul Murphy says:

Only until March 31 apparently, according the supermarket bosses today. Then it’s back to the black market and ration books. “Psst – banana guv, yours for a tenner, if you’ve got an extra fiver I’ll throw in a tomato…”

• Mark Andrew Evans says:

Hah,makes me laugh how people comment on stuff they’ve got no interest in..for the record this is worth buying for all the Pleasure One remixes on CD..Beautiful looking set..Great work!

• Neil Hunt says:

The 5 Classic Albums box was put together badly. Some non-remastered tracks and incorrect versions of songs were mixed into the albums. This new set at £90 works out at £9 per disc which is fairly good value if they are well remastered and contain many rarities. I’m really pleased to see all these tracks in one place.

• Melvin says:

Year, H17 hated that release which was done without their involvement and quality standards. They did not make any money from that release which was wrong too. Best avoid that 5 Classic Albums disaster. The official reissues for Luxury Gap and Penthouse & Pavement however were second to none.

• xymox970 says:

Actually, that was priced at 9.99 just recently.
      Quite a bargain.

88. Jono says:

Ordered the CD set, will get the vinyl if it drops a decent amount.