Hipsway / 2CD deluxe edition

hipsway

Scottish pop band Hipsway‘s 1986 eponymous debut album is to be reissued in November as a two-CD deluxe edition.

The label putting this out is Hot Shot Records, a new imprint from BBR (Big Break Records) and their self-styled mission is to “set to breathe life back into a variety of smart pop, dance gems and hidden treasures”.

This new edition of Hipsway features a bonus disc with nine 12-inch remixes (including all the singles from the album) along with B-sides and extra tracks.

The band had a top twenty hit on both sides of the Atlantic with The Honeythief but bass player Johnny McElhone left to join another Scottish band, Texas, shortly afterwards and by the time the second album Scratch the Surface arrived in 1989, all momentum (and interest) had dried up.

However, the band have reformed to support this reissue and will play a couple of gigs in Glasgow in November.

Hipsway will be reissued on 4 November 2016.

Hipsway

4. UPON A THREAD
5. LONG WHITE CAR
6. THE BROKEN YEARS
7. TINDER
8. FORBIDDEN
9. SET THIS DAY APART
10. ASK THE LORD (A NEW VERSION: US ALBUM VERSION)

Disc: 2
1. ASK THE LORD (12″ EXTENDED VERSION)
2. THE HONEYTHIEF (12″ EXTENDED VERSION)
3. THE BROKEN YEARS (12″ EXTENDED VERSION)
4. FORBIDDEN (12″ ALTERNATIVE VERSION)
5. LONG WHITE CAR (US RERECORDED VERSION)
6. ASK THE LORD (12″ NEW EXTENDED VERSION)
7. PAIN MACHINE
8. WILD SORROW
9. ARE YOU READY TO LISTEN
10. RING OUT THE BELL
11. ASK THE LORD (US 12″ FRANCOIS K. DANCE MIX)
12. THE HONEYTHIEF (12″ GALUS MIX)
13. THE BROKEN YEARS (12″ DUB MIX)
14. ASK THE LORD (US 12″ FRANCOIS K. DUB MIX)
15. END TITLES SEQUENCE (FROM THE FILM “œASK THE LORD”)

40 responses to Hipsway / 2CD deluxe edition

1. negative1 says:

decent album from a lesser known group.

later

2. John says:

Johnny McElhone was also in Altered Images!

3. tom says:

Loved this LP, got the cassette at the time because it had extended versions of some singles on it. I think I’m going to have to get this one.

4. David Mc says:

I have such warm memories of this album. It’s much more than The Honeythief + filler. I wonder what other wonders Hot Shot have up their sleeve.

5. Gary C says:

Welcome release for me, long time coming too. Few things extra I would have liked to have seen, but small imprint so they may have limited budget for the project.
    Is the original album remastered?

6. Will says:

It’s been remastered according to the Amazon description.
    Looks pretty comprehensive as there wasn’t much in the way of b-sides from that album.
    Would’ve been nice to have included the BBC In Concert from Reading Uni but guess that would’ve cost £.

7. mike says:

Comphrehensive in remixes, ticks my box.

8. mike says:

Remember most of the band morphed into Witness in 1991, signed to A&M and released the excellent House of Love cd.

9. Gary C says:

i used to have about 20 mins of that Reading concert from the radio, was it really only a half hour broadcast?

• Will says:

Yeah, think it was a double bill with someone else. It’s still up on the BBC6 website – they replay it quite a lot.

Having gone through my vinyl, the only missing tracks I can see is Bad Thing Longing (Live) and Forbidden (Live) from the Long White Car limited 12″.

10. Ravi says:

Every Friday I would go to the music store and 1) Buy an album I wanted and 2) Buy an album from an artist or group I’d never heard of.

While I ended up with a fair bit of marginal stuff as a result of #2, Hipsway was a real pleasant surprise. I still have that original purchase but this 2 cd set would be a welcome addition me thinks.

11. Tom says:

A great album, shame they didn’t licence in the BBC Sessions and an In Concert for the release.

Btw; Skin has release various albums over the years under different guises, he released his first solo album as ‘The Skinner Group’ in 2014, which is well worth searching out.

12. Trash says:

Only bought this on CD a few years back as I found it in a bargain bin and remembered quite liking The Honeythief. Was pleasantly surprised to find a decent album of 80s pop.
    The track Tinder is worth the entry price alone…

Will probably have to get this.

13. Paul H says:

I’m in for this. Great album.

14. Neil says:

At last a decent reissue for a change.

15. Francis says:

Other Expanded and Deluxe Editions getting reissued in November: “Shangri-La” (2 Disc Set) – Animal Nightlife / “The Sweetest Illusion” (3 Disc Set) – Basia / “Wanted” (3 Disc Set) – Yazz.

16. SimonP says:

Looks good. Hope it sounds OK. The original CD had a few bonus tracks on it and this seems a pretty comprehensive round up of all the others. The second 12″ of Ask The Lord is far superior to the US 12″ version and it’ll be great to finally have it on CD. I still listen to it a lot.

• SimonP says:

It does indeed sound good (my copy arrived today). Couple of track omissions which could’ve been squeezed onto CD 2, as it totals 68 mins as is:

Main Theme From The Film “Ask The Lord”
      Ask The Lord US 7″

As there are many versions of that track already, I guess I’ll forgive them!

17. Paul H says:

@ Francis. Animal Nightlife 2 disc edition is amazing news. Thanks

18. Paul H says:

re Animal Nightlife, slightly tempered now I’ve seen the track list. The Inner Vision tracks might have been hard to license but great shame to miss out. .

19. Billy Dojcak says:

Cd copies of the original album can be found at thrift stores. But it’s worth it for the abundant remixes. Didn’t know there were so many.

20. Kauwgompie says:

This is really an outstanding album. Glad its getting reissued. I have the original cd version with the bonus 12″es. The regular extended versions that were originally bonus tracks on the cd version are nothing to write home about. They are between 30 seconds and 1 minute longer than the album versions. I never understood that. When you bother to make an extended version, might as well do it right and turn it into a 7 minute feast. Hopefully the Kevorkian mixes are better than the regular extended versions. Good for Hot Shots that they are reissuing this album. It is high quality material, that deserves to be heard by a wide audience. I will get this for sure.

21. Jon says:

Kauwgompie,

Yes, the Kevorkian mixes are worth it and, IMO, worth the price of this reissue alone. I loved this album too, had heard the Honeythief which was a top 20 hit here in the US. I was pleasantly surprised that this album was so good when I bought it. But it was Ask the Lord that really stood out as a brilliant pop song and one of the best of the era. Clearly it flopped but the label believed in it and had it remixed and released it again. Stateside, Kevorkian delivered a great remix which I always thought was the best one. I hope they got all the tracks from the 2×7″ of Ask the Lord. I don’t have that double pack anymore, or the double 12″ of Broken Years but I am assuming all the tracks made it on here…

22. Jon says:

I am excited about that Yazz 3cd reissue. Has the tracklisting been posted yet?

23. Jon says:

Kauwgompie, you are so right about the Speng remix of “the only way is up.” That was a great mix and really is the best one, and I completely forgot they left it off the set! But, even 3 discs is not enough to cover that album. I don’t think they were able to get all the mixes from “Wanted Remixes” either. That was also great but they did get a ton of excellent remixes and bonus material on there.

Most people only remember “the only way is up” but she had many other great songs, particularly from this album. Same thing for Hipsway – Honeythief was great but, actually, they had even better songs on that debut album.

• Kauwgompie says:

Jon, couldn’t agree more. The Hipsway album is full of gems, some even better than “Honeythief”.
      The Yazz album certainly is a worthwhile album too. Just so disappointing the Speng Remix of ‘The Only Way Is Up” is not on the reissue. Can’t get over it. They added remixes with extra production that barely resemble the original song but the amazing Speng Remix was left off. I forgot about “Wanted Remixes”!! Gonna check those out, see if there is anything worthwhile on there.

• mike says:

No Acid Dub (Justin Strauss) Mix of The Only Way is Up!! Who compiled this, hanging is too good for them. Really, an amazing mix and should have been easy to add.

Still great about Hipsway though!

24. dave says:

would be great to get Love and Money’s All you need is.. re-released as well- was out at about at the same time as Hipsway and I think James Grant played on Both(not sure though),or Maybe even Friends Again’s Trapped and Unwrapped Album, which is really hard to get hold of on cd

• serw says:

You’re right, James Grant did play some guitar on Hipsway’s debut album. Grahame Skinner the Hipsway singer has turned up at several James Grant solo shows in Glasgow over the past few years as well to sing some of the Hipsway ‘hits’.

• sweevo says:

You’re right, James Grant did play some guitar on Hipsway’s debut album. Grahame Skinner the Hipsway singer has turned up at several James Grant solo shows in Glasgow over the past few years as well to sing some of the Hipsway ‘hits’ :-)

25. mike says:

Great package, interesting liner notes and photos.