Humble Pie / The A&M Vinyl Box Set

Early seventies rock ‘super group’ Humble Pie see new vinyl editions of all their A&M albums collected in the appropriately named The A&M Vinyl Box Set 1970-1975.

The band were formed by Steve Marriott and Peter Frampton in 1969 and also featured former Spooky Tooth bassist Greg Ridley and Jerry Shirley on drums.

This new 9LP box set has been put together in conjunction with Jerry Shirley and Peter Frampton and features remastered versions of Humble Pie (1970), Rock On (1971), Performance Rockin’ The Fillmore (1971), Smokin’ (1972), Eat It (1973), Thunderbox (1974) and Street Rats (1975).

Shirley makes reference to the sound quality for this new box set: “At last we have the extreme privilege, thanks to the hard work of the restoration engineers at Universal, to hear all of our catalogue from A&M in it’s finest form, on vinyl. “Eat It” in particular, had sound problems originally that have now been eradicated once and for all, so that all our fans, old and new, can hear it as it was intended to be, a wonderful slice of Humble Pie Rock & Roll”.

Frampton adds “We pay tribute to our two lost brothers, Steve and Greg and hope you enjoy this as much as we did putting it all together.”

The records are pressed on 180g vinyl and feature “replica artwork” which means respecting original die-cut sleeves and inners. The A&M Vinyl Box Set will be released on 2 June 2017.

0600753757055

Humble Pie

The A&M Vinyl Boxset 1970-1975 [VINYL]

Shop Price GBP Stock
HMV uk 6LP coloured vinyl box 150.99

Humble Pie (1970) Produced by Glyn Johns

Side 1

1. Live With Me
  2. Only A Roach
  3. One-Eyed Trouser-Snake Rumba
  4. Earth And Water Song

Side 2

1. I’m Ready
  2. Theme From Skint – See You Later Liquidator
  3. Red Light Mamma, Red Hot!
  4. Sucking On The Sweet Vine

3. Stone Cold Fever

Side 2

1. I Walk On Gilded Splinters

Side 3

1. Rollin’ Stone

Side 4

1. Hallelujah (I Love Her So)
  2. I Don’t Need No Doctor

1. Black Coffee
  2. I Believe To My Soul
  3. Shut Up And Don’t Interrupt Me
  4. That’s How Strong My Love Is

Side 3

1. Say No More
  2. Oh, Bella (All That’s Hers)
  3. Summer Song

1. Don’t Worry, Be Happy
  2. Ninety-Nine Pounds
  3. Every Single Day
  4. No Money Down
  5. Drift Away
  6. Oh La-De-Da

Street Rats (US Version) (1975)

Produced by Andrew Oldham & Steve Marriott

2. Let Me Be Your Lovemaker
  3. Countryman Stomp
  4. Drive My Car
  5. Queens And Nuns

10 responses to Humble Pie / The A&M Vinyl Box Set

1. Paul Wren says:

Marriott once said that “Eat It” sounded as though it had been recorded through toilet paper! No extra tracks but maybe they will come later when/if the individual albums are reissued separately.

I have all the original vinyl albums of this superb band – buy with absolute confidence.

2. Simon F says:

I have an old worn copy of Performance; what a wonderful album that is. I’m sure the rest of this set follows suit, but I will not be purchasing it as I have no more room for any more records/CD’s of any type or configuration. (So no Sgt Pepper box either!!)

• StevieB says:

Simon, have you considered selling your home and buying an open field instead as a means of increasing storage space?

My sister was a big fan of Humble Pie and I remember hearing her play the Rockin’ The Filmore album seemingly on repeat in the early 70s. She’s probably still got all their albums but I’ll mention this release to her anyway.

3. peter wolf says:

Will never forget when their seminal live album Performance Rockin’ The Filmore came out way back in ’71 as it seemed to be the right moment to release double live albums in the 70’s
    Deep Purple, Ten Years After, and Humble Pies legendary live album followed by a few more in the mid to late 70’s, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Iron Maiden, Thin Lizzy, just to name a couple, and what a great trip down memory lane with their 40th anniversary The Complete Recordings, it’s often been suggested that one of the best live albums is “Made In Japan” it’s obvious i guess Deep Purple were more popular as a live act with countless concerts at their peak, but when you have a listen to Performance Rockin’ The Fillmore is there are better live album? Hmmmm

4. Kevin says:

Paul, when an artist/band goes to lengths such as these in the remastering of an entire catalog (and admittedly – HP’s is comparatively small next to say, Neil Young), is it reasonable to assume that such a process typically lends itself to being issued on more than just one format?

I’m essentially holding out hope for a CD release, here.

Wasn’t the Free vinyl box the first issue of the 2016 Andy Pearce remasters before the CDs were issued?

I think the Free CDs came out at the same time. But surely almost certain that these will be issued on CD at some point..

5. Keith Lambert says:

Excellent news! I have the the original pressings but if this set sounds good, it will be very nice to have a pristine set of the back catalogue on vinyl. I hope that the price comes down a little.

I still think that ‘Walk On Gilded Splinters’ from the Fillmore series (last show) is one of the finest live performances ever captured on tape.

Rock On!

6. Frampton's Camel says:

Would really love to see ‘As Safe As Yesterday Is’ and ‘Town & Country’ given the remastered 180g vinyl treatment too… T&C probably their most underrated album. Classics like ‘The Sad Bag Of Shaky Jake’ and Peter’s ‘Take Me Back’ are still superb. I still think of what a five man Small Faces with Pete might have gone on to achieve…

Or how about a 7′ reissue of ‘Natural Born Bugie/Wrist Job’ for record store day?

7. Marshall Gooch says:

What kind of turntable would you have to have to play a 7′ record?!

8. clive says:

Got this box set from Amazon and it is excellent. Also included is a HiRes MP3 download token. This says it’s on the BacktoBlackvinyl.com site but you need to navigate to the sister SoundofVinyl site to redeem the code.

There’s also a good chance that you’ll need to add the track details via file properties – unless you know how to shortcut the process.

All in all, great value.