It’s Immaterial / Life’s Hard and Then You Die reissue track listing revealed

ItsImmaterial_3D (2)

We’re pleased to confirm the full track listing of the forthcoming 30th anniversary deluxe reissue of the It’s Immaterial album Life’s Hard And Then You Die

As you will see below, the first disc contains the remastered 10-track album plus a whopping nine bonus tracks including B-sides and single versions. There are some fantastic tracks amongst these, including the seven-inch, shorter version of Washing The Air (which surely should have been on the album) and Only The Lonely. Those tracks were the B-side to the original Ed’s Funky Diner and then the reissued Ed’s, respectively.

Washing The Air (Rub A Dub Mix) features on CD 2 of the reissue

The second CD includes the band’s (previously unreleased) last Peel Session (where they played four tracks from the album), all the remixes and mops up a few further extra tracks, ending with the 4-track demo of Driving Away From Home. In fact there are five versions of Driving, on this deluxe set, along with three versions of Ed’s Funky Diner. If you’re already a fan, you’ll know he 12-inch versions are epic, and in some cases, very different from the seven-inch/album cuts.

In total, 12 tracks have never been issued on CD, but none of them have ever sounded this good. This new edition of Life’s Hard And Then You Die comes packaged as a gatefold card wallet and features a 16-page booklet with a track-by-track commentary by the band.

This is due for release on 1 July 2016. If you are interested in It’s Immaterial and/or this reissue, make sure you’ve added your name to the mailing list (see below) because there is more to tell you in the next few weeks (I’m considering organising an event in London, for example).

It's Immaterial

Life's Hard And Then You Die (2CD Deluxe)

Shop Price GBP Stock

• 4.     Rope (John Peel Session) [3.30]
  • 5.     Ed’s Funky Diner (The Keinholz Caper) [5.53]
  • 6.     Washing The Air (Rub A Dub Mix) [5.29]
  • 7.     Driving Away From Home (Wicked Weather For Walking) [7.11]
  • 8.     Ed’s Funky Diner (Friday Night, Saturday Morning) [8.05]
  • 9.     We’ll Turn Things Upside Down (When The Revolution Comes) [4.06]
  • 10.   Driving Away From Home (I Mean After All It’s Only ‘Dead Man’s Curve’) [6.29]
  • 11.   Space, He Called From The Kitchen [7.10]
  • 12.   Rope (Extended Mix) [6.07]
  • 13.   Space (Instrumental) [4.02]
  • 14.   Jazz Bo’s Holiday Transatlantique [4.47]
  • 15.   Driving Away From Home (Original 4-Track Demo) [3.13]

38 responses to It’s Immaterial / Life’s Hard and Then You Die reissue track listing revealed

1. Neil says:

I wish HMV would get their act together and get this up for preorder because i want it on the release date.

2. gb says:

‘five versions of Driving’
    my fave 4 words ;)

looks epic Paul. well done.

3. tyrone tudor says:

Hellpp.. can someone tell me how to log in?

If you mean subscribe to the mailing list, it should be as simple as putting you email address in the box in the post and hitting ‘subscribe’. You then need to look out for an email (check spam etc) to ‘approve’ your subscription.

4. Charles K. says:

Wow, that is one amazing album. Not sure how I missed them back in the day, Thanks for spearheading this, sold!

• Tom of FIN says:

Exactly, Charles! A forgotten gem for many regardless of age. Paul indeed deserves recognition for putting this much effort to reissuing this too much underrated masterpiece with loads of bonuses.

A must buy especially now to support your economy, that an arctic fishing nation with 170 times less population just made Brexit 2.0 to team England in your national sports. – “It is happening again…”

5. JuzzyB says:

I believe it has everything I want on it. Excellent!
    Still keeping my 12″s (and 7″ doublepack) though.

6. Paul English says:

Looks great, well done Paul. Can’t wait to hear this.

7. Steve Ferguson says:

I’ve always loved this album so good news indeed that its reissue is being lovingly and respectfully curated. Any news as to a North American release?

8. Francis says:

I signed up for a special email regarding this release and a day after I am emailed the track listing it appears on here, so that sign up was a waste of time and a con.

That comment is ridiculous.

• Francis says:

No it is not. I signed up for emails to give me details about this release when I could have just waited and read all the same information on here.

You were promised the details “first” and you got them first. It’s pretty obvious that things like a packshot and the track listing would be widely available in the near future. I’m sure they will be on Amazon soon. But subscribers to the mailing list got the exclusive.

9. Jack says:

I was familiar with everything except Jazz Bo & Kissing with Lord Herbert. Where were those from Paul?

10. Andrew says:

Jazz Bo’s Holiday Transatlantique was originally featured on the Space 7″ double pack (disc 2 side A) and so far as i can remember was Tarrant Bailey Jr playing his banjo without any of the It’s Immaterial guys accompanying him. It’s his tune from way back when. There is some great old Pathe footage of Bailey on YouTube that’s worth a watch. I’m not aware that Kissing With Lord Herbert was previously released but I’m sure someone will correct me if I’m wrong.

11. Rick says:

I had pretty much not cared to buy any CD anymore because I’m more interested in Vinyl these days. But this release is Essential. This album has always been a Top Ten Desert Island pick. I just pre ordered from the UK amazon. thanks for the heads up. I always prefer to order from the UK as I have never had a problem with the UK Amazon. They ship just as fast as if I had ordered from the USA Amazon. And in most cases, I get a cheaper price too. thanks again.

12. Richard says:

Looks amazing, thanks! And nice to see the Peel sessions on there too, just out of interest how easy/costly is it to licence Peel Sessions, I see so many reissues omitting BBC sessions and always figured it was because of money & red tape or is it just laziness on behalf of the people doing them?

13. Jack says:

Andrew – JazzyB Thanks for clarifying that. I thought I was pretty up to date with most of the official releases. Do either of these two tracks have vocals?

Kissing With Lord Herbert does, but Jazz Bo’s Holiday Transatlantique is an instrumental

14. Bob White says:

Love what’s here. Juat a shame that we couldn’t have all 4 peel sessions and the non album singles, Young Man (Seeks Interesting Job), A Gigantic Raft (in the Philippines), Imitate The Worm. White Man’s Hut, Fish Waltz

Yes, that was really down to space and the fact that those weren’t issued on Virgin/Siren.

• Neil says:

Interesting comment Paul. I only expected the stuff from Virgin on here but to also comment it was down to space gives me hope that a compilation of pre-Virgin stuff could be on the cards at some stage.

Well to be honest, I was working to a remit of two CDs, so I knew fairly quickly we’d have to keep anything non-Virgin out of scope… so in other words I wouldn’t read to much into the pre-Virgin stuff. Obviously if this does well, then there is definitely more chance of *someone* (not necessarily me) being able to do something with it.

15. mike says:

Just dragged out my original Siren cd, its gone gold! Good time for a replacement then.

16. Neil says:

Brilliant job with the tracklisting Paul. Sometimes I can look at a really good re-issue but bemoan the fact that the odd related track is missing but as far as i can tell everything related to this LP is here.

17. Neil says:

I’m waiting patiently on a preorder from HMV appearing on that widget lol.

18. Neil says:

This is available to buy on Burning Shed now but still no sign of it on HMV.

19. John says:

£12.89 GBP/$17.16 USD from Amazon UK incl. shipping to the USA. Can’t beat that!

20. Christopher V says:

Thanks for helping with this release Paul S. Just pre-ordered it on Amazon and excited to hear the new tracks. Great job!!!

21. Justin Isbell says:

Ordered…thanks to your article, an allmusic review, some distant faded memories of a couple of their songs and some YouTube listens. Now looking forward to pretending to wife and children that they’re a new band that I’ve just discovered :-)

22. David Morgan says:

One of the most greatly underrated albums of the 1980s. A much longed for reissue, finally my battered vinyl copy can have a rest. Thanks Paul.

23. Colin Young says:

Always loved this band and have ‘most’ of their singles. Just missing ‘Imitate The Worm’ from the non-Siren catalogue.
    I’m a professional audio-restorer specializing in vinyl transfers… and of course I’ve done all my I.I. material for my own enjoyment over the years. Nice to se an official re-issue though. Long overdue.
    HOWEVER! If anyone’s seriously interested in doing a compilation of I.I.’s non-Virgin material… If the master tapes for those recordings are absent or missing or damaged, I have very high quality examples of everything except ‘Imitating The Worm’ and that could be also sourced pretty easily. They are good enough for reissue – I say!
    Anyone? Contact me via my site seewhyaudio dot com. Serious enquiries only no downloads. Cheers all. Colin
    PS Hope I’m not breaking any rules here…

24. Pingback:Saturday Deluxe / 24 Sep 2016 | superdeluxeedition