Jean Michel Jarre / Equinoxe Infinity

Jean Michel Jarre / Equinoxe Infinity

With his Planet Jarre best of/box set only just released, Jean Michel Jarre has surprised fans with the announcement of a new album, Equinoxe Infinity, for November.

This is a sequel to his fourth studio album, Equinoxe, which was released 40 years ago and the artwork (created by Filip Hodas) references the original cover. Best let JMJ explain his thinking behind the music and the artwork:

“In days where vinyl is coming back big time, artwork deserves more attention. The cover of Equinoxe has always been one of my favourites. Are these strange creatures watching us? Watching space? Watching machines? Watching a natural phenomenon? We don’t really know. They’re not scary, but odd and mysterious. So, I took the original ‘Watchmen’ of the Equinoxe cover to continue the story.

Filip Hodas is a super talented young artist who I asked to create two different pieces in line with my vision. One cover shows mankind at peace with nature and technology, and the other depicts a picture of fear and distortion with machines taking over the world. With these two, I want to bring attention to two scenarios we are facing today with our love for and our dependence on innovation and technology. The music of Equinoxe Ininity is the soundtrack to those two different worlds.”

Alternate cover (“fear and distortion”) to Equinoxe Infinity

The album cover art is random (at the request of Jean Michel Jarre) so you don’t know which one you are getting!

Equinoxe Infinity is issued on CD and vinyl, but a box set called Equinoxe Project brings together the original album and the new one, on CD and vinyl (i.e. it’s a four-disc set). The box comes with four posters and a download card. The standard vinyl also includes a download and one poster. You can preview The Watchers (movement 1) below.

Equinoxe Infinity and the Equinoxe Project box set will be issued on 16 November 2018.

Jean-Michel Jarre

Equinoxe Infinity - CD edition

HMV uk 6LP coloured vinyl box 9.99

Jean-Michel Jarre

Equinoxe Infinity - vinyl LP

Jean-Michel Jarre

Equinoxe Project box set

HMV uk 6LP coloured vinyl box 69.99

EQUINOXE INFINITY

1. The Watchers (Movement 1)
  2. Flying Totems (Movement 2)
  3. Robots Dont Cry (Movement 3)
  4. All That You Leave Behind (Movement 4)
  5. If The Wind Could Speak (Movement 5)
  6. Infinity (Movement 6)
  7. Machines Are Learning (Movement 7)
  8. The Opening (Movement 8)
  9. Don’t Look Back (Movement 9)
  10. Equinoxe Infinity (Movement 10)

39 responses to Jean Michel Jarre / Equinoxe Infinity

1. Floris says:

I’m honestly a bit dissapointed in the available formats.

The CD version comes in digipak (really? All his other CD albums were in jewel cases, why digipak for this one?), and in the box set they come as “vinyl replica”, which appears to be just a cardboard sleeve instead of ‘normal’ packaging.

It would be awesome to be able to purchase those posters seperately, but it appears that they are only availabe as part of the box set. Sadly i just can’t see the logic in buying the expensive box set for the posters, only to be stuck with two records, one of which i already have, and two CD’s in paper sleeves that I can’t store with my other CD’s(on top of already owning the original on CD).

Then there is the problem with the artwork, i like the first cover and adore the black box set cover, but the alternate cover just has a lot less appeal to me (the headless figure looks clumsy and out of place IMO). Not making it possible to choose which one you get honestly takes away a lot of the appeal of the album.

I am a huge fan of the original album and it’s cover art, and if the CD was available in a jewel case with a selectable cover I would have pre-ordered immediately, might even have gone for the box set if the same was true for it.
    Sadly this is not the case, so no order from me until i can actually select which cover i want.

2. Dave H says:

For those of you who may want to know about the Planet Jarre 5.1 downloads they are high res 1920 x 1080 video files with high res dolby digital surround.

The video files uses the same still of the album cover on all tracks, there is no moving images.

The track listing is
    1 Circus
    2 Equinoxe 2
    3 Equinoxe 5
    4 Exit With Edward Snowden
    5 Oxygene 15
    6 Oxygene 17
    7 Oxygene 2
    8 Stardust with Armin Van Buuren
    9 Switched On Leon with The Orb
    10 Coachella Opening
    11 Souvenir Of China
    12 Zoolookolgie

It’s about an hour long.

The download card also includes the album as wav files.

3. Tom of FIN says:

Not very convincing sample there for marketing that You Tube take. Usually the first LP/CD cuts are the most calculative. Familiar bubbling, but nothing encouraging.

4. Fuzzywuzzy says:

Can anyone confirm whether or not Deserted Palace has ever been officially released on CD format ?
    Thanks

• Tom of FIN says:

Nope, it has not.

• Richard says:

Not in full no – a few bits were on the Essentials & Rarities album a few years ago, but it never had a commercial release on CD.

Just watch out for a few scammers selling cruddy Jarre CDs on ebay – one particularly bad seller is a guy in France called tom.angel – steer well clear, as I bought an album thinking it was genuine, only to find it was crudely taped from a TV broadcast, and dear God! the abuse I received from him when I wanted to return it!

• Fuzzywuzzy says:

Richard . Thanks very much for your advice and info re : Deserted Palace . Do you think it will ever see a commercial release ?

• Zenith O’Clock says:

Yes it has. It was released in full as a double CD set in the UK with Les Granges Brulees and the a and b sides of his frog single.

5. MüllerMüller says:

…….Blade Runner??
    The watchers…..

6. Craig Hedges says:

So glad to see Jean-michel being so prolific and he’s producing some really good stuff.
    I’m in the minority who really liked Oxygene 3, I actually listened to it more than once which is required for a lot of Jarre’s stuff to reveal itself, So it will be interesting see how he will take Equinoxe forward.
    It is now 30 years since Jean-michel staged his concerts at the Docklands in London, where’s the time gone!

• Patrick Gleeson says:

I’m astounded at the lukewarm response to Oxygène 3 too Craig. Seems most missed the whole point of it being a present day take on the 8 track layering and composing techniques of the original. A masterpiece IMO.

7. André says:

Random Cover – That’s Not funny!

8. Straker says:

I don’t know whether to laugh or cry at Amazon bolting on reviews for the original Equinoxe onto the order page for this November release. That one of the biggest companies in the world intentionally misleads/misinforms customers in this way time and again is just staggering. The obsession with automating as much as they can and doing away with human common-sense is turning their website into a joke, that’s if you can find anything in the first place seeing as their Search hides more than it finds these days.

Seriously Bezos, take your eyes off the skies and sort out your website back here on Earth.

9. Mark says:

Thank you Paul, great info, and love the links, as always.

10. Nick Love says:

I don’t know anything about him or his music but that is a great sleeve. Kind of reminds me a bit of The Division Bell, but obviously very different.

11. Richey Estcourt says:

Do you know if the original album is the original recording, or the ‘New Master Recording’ from about ten years back?

12. Gabriel says:

A Quick note about the Box Set

The Offical JMJ site gives 2 Providers : Amazon.de + JPC
    Items :
    1) Equinoxe & Equinoxe Infinity on CDs as Vinyl Replica CDs
    2) Equinoxe & Equinoxe Infinity on 180g heavyweight Vinyl
    3) Scratchcard to download both albums
    4) 4x Posters of the artworks in superzize No Posters ?

/ Amazon DE/
    Label: Columbia d (Sony Music)(Austria) / ASIN : B07H62Q4JN / all items according to JPC (De) regarding Columbia d label.
    The special price is sold out (around 66€ ) on Amazon.de -> Now 89€

and… customers coment on Amazon talk abbout the previous edition of the album.. not the new edition that are unavailable in september……
    Allways confusing !
    Gabriel

13. Yves says:

‘The album covert art is random’. That’s a problem: I don’t like the alternate one! No online order gor me, I’ll go to a fnac shop so I can choose the cover I want.

14. Michael says:

Fantastic news!
    I pre ordered the Massive Attack through the SDE Shop. Any chance Paul that this too will be available?
    Amazon Aus might take forever to have this.

15. Peter Anderson says:

Conversely a lot of us do have renewed interest in vinyl. When CD first came out I was the first to embrace it and reject my extensive vinyl collection. Now I have realised the merits of both. CD great for convenience but vinyl still wonderful for the full listening/ audio visual experience.

16. H says:

Superb information as always Paul many thanks keep up the great work.
    When are they going to realise that a lot of us have no interest unless its on CD.I got shut of vinyl and cassettes years ago and have no intention of going back.A box set for CD fans would be more than welcome.Until then it’s the single CD for me. Such a shame and another opportunity missed.

• Tim Weldon says:

I understand your frustration, H, but you’ve got to understand there are a LOT of us vinyl fans out here who went for years without being able to buy any album on vinyl. I too embraced CD (not that I had a choice!) but it is possible to like both formats and now I buy both and enjoy the choice to do so. It was your choice to go down the CD route but you don’t have to choose one or the other.

• H says:

Fully agree with you Tim it’s great to finally see vinyl releases at the same time as the CD . My issue is with the box sets – I personally would like to see a deluxe CD only release as it’s a lot to pay for an additional format I’m never going to use but I can certainly see the appeal for vinyl fans – unfortunately it’s an issue that’s never going to please everyone.

17. Graham says:

Cant wait but bit of a marketing own goal for Planet Jarre?? Will get this no problem and skip PJ

18. Gregg Porter says:

Fourth release, if you don’t forget “Deserted Palace” & “Les Granges Brûlées.”

19. Vishal says:

Hey Paul, I ordered the box set but just wanted to confirm if it is a CD+Vinyl or CD+Cassette as per the comments by Chris below? Thanks!

20. MartinJ says:

Fourth release is correct. “Oxygene” was Jarre’s third album.

21. Kauwgompie says:

I want that box but massively disappointed that -again- Jarre doesn’t provide us with a 5.1 mix on dvd or blu-ray. His music on 5.1 is simply amazing. I have the Aero cd/dvd and it sounds out of this world. I’m not going to bother with Planet Jarre and those 5.1 downloads. Does anyone even know yet what songs you get? And if you simply burn the files on a dvd, would it play in 5.1 on a dvd player without massive shenanigans? All of this is very disappointing. How out of tune with your fans can you be?

22. Highlander says:

This music would be perfect for surround sound! Wish he would’ve made an immersive mix for us home theater fans. I’ll still probably get the CD though and run it through a matrix encoder on the preamp processor. Thanks for the heads up Paul.

23. Euan Shanks says:

Thanks for the preview Paul. I’ve pre ordered the cd version. Very much looking forward to getting this and playing it in the car etc.

24. Patrick Goldstein says:

Second release. Not fourth

• MAD says:

Yes, fourth release.
      Before Oxygène he released Eros Machine and Les granges brûlées (The Burned Barns). Both are not electronic ;)

• Coen says:

Deserted Palace is his first album and his 2nd, Les Granges Brulees, is pretty electronic. La Cage/Erosmachine is a 7″ single. Which is also very electronic.

25. Rasputin says:

Where is 5.1?

On a download card?

26. Chris says:

I’m glad you had the link shown, so I’ve preordered the standard CD edition.

Still not convinced about buying a box-set with cassettes, especially at the price shown…but no one is forcing the choice.

I’m also not going to listen to the preview…I’ll wait for the album release, really happy Jarre is still releasing new material.