Jellyfish: Bellybutton and Spilt Milk 2CD deluxe reissues confirmed

Bellybutton deluxe

Jellyfish‘s two studio albums Bellybutton (1990) and Spilt Milk (1993) will be reissued as deluxe editions by Omnivore/Universal in January 2015.

The much-delayed reissues – revealed by this blog back in February – will see both albums expanded to two discs. Bellybutton (which is remastered for the first time) includes 10 live tracks and 16 demos while Spilt Milk (also remastered) comes with a massive 25 demos along with a further 6 live and studio performances. CD 2 from Bellybutton – The Bellybutton Demos – will also be available separately as a digital download package

Spilt Milk deluxe (click to enlarge)

Although there is nothing previously unreleased, most of these tracks have been hard (or expensive) to get hold of for some time, having formed part of the long-deleted 2002 Not Lame Fan Club box set or dotted about on various UK CD singles issued back in the day.

Both releases feature expanded artwork with photos and memorabilia. Essays from Ken Sharp incorporate new interviews with Andy Sturmer, Roger Joseph Manning Jr., and Jason Falkner from Jellyfish, as well as the albums’ producers. Even better, Sturmer and Manning also provide track-by-track commentary on the original album tracks.

Bellybutton and Spilt Milk deluxe editions are released on 20 January 2015.

Track listings

• I Need Love
  • I Don’t Believe You
  • Long Time Ago
  • Runnin’ For Our Lives

Disc Two

Demos, Live and Otherwise

• Spilt Milk Intro (demo)
  • Hush (demo)
  • Joining A Fan Club (demo)
  • Sebrina, Paste and Plato (demo)
  • New Mistake (demo)
  • Glutton of Sympathy (demo)
  • The Ghost At Number One (demo)
  • All Is Forgiven (demo)
  • Russian Hill (demo)
  • He’s My Best Friend (demo)
  • Spilt Milk Outro (demo)
  • Think About Your Troubles (demo)
  • That Is Why (live)
  • The Ghost At Number One (live)
  • Joining A Fan Club (live)
  • S.O.S. (live)
  • Fan Club Message

22 responses to Jellyfish: Bellybutton and Spilt Milk 2CD deluxe reissues confirmed

1. Paul Anthony Chapman says:

excellent, as most would agree, a very underrated band, good to see them getting the deluxe treatment!

2. Joe Wiz says:

Great stuff. Thought someone had forgotten about this…

3. richie says:

I agree with Joe, I thought these were coming out in the summer. I have most of the tracks on singles but the charity shop can have them.

4. Mike the Fisher says:

Didn’t they release a Badfinger cover around this time too on a bonus disc with one of the albums?

Yes, “No Matter What”. It was on one of the Bellybutton CD singles. Seems like this isn’t completely comprehensive then so Richie needs to reconsider trip to charity shop!

5. Mike Ostrich says:

…and as a proud owner of the FAN CLUB box set, I can happily skip this. :)

6. auteur55 says:

excited to see this but does anyone really care about demos. Are there no b-sides or proper recorded songs from these guys other then the albums?

7. Willy says:

Great at last!!!!!! Ignorance Is Bliss, Family Tree and Long Time Ago would not have been out of place on the actual Spilt Milk album. I always include these on my own SM compilation.

As for demos, auteur55, these guys’ demos are a cut above.

Also well worth searching out the ‘Stack-O-Tracks’ for the two albums.

8. Paul Kent says:

I, too, own the Fan Club box, so I’m not sure about these. Are they BOTH remastered, Paul, as your write up only alludes to Bellybutton getting an overhaul?

9. Paul Kent says:

Oops… ignore me, just re-read it! Well, I’ll have to get them, then! :)

10. Mik says:

At last!! By the way, ¿any info about who’s the mastering engineer?

11. Jim Galvin says:

I hope they follow with Vinyl releases of these 2 albums

12. Metal Mickey says:

Excellent news – “Bellybutton” is one of the great ‘lost’ albums and deserves some more attention, though of course McFly took “Baby’s Coming Back” to number 1 in 2007…

13. 90s Geek says:

First the news that the Posies first four albums are getting the reissue treatment and now confirmation of these two awesome records. Oh ambassador of power pop, you are truly spoiling us.

14. Foamfoot says:

I own this Fanclub box set – why do I need these re-issues?

My Japan disc of Bellybutton sounds good to me – why do I need it remastered?

My USA version of Spilt Milk is great sounding too. Why do I need this remastered?

As a big fan of Jellyfish these re-issues have me a bit stumped – why would I purchase them?

Shouldn’t Omnivore make it a package that someone like me who owns the box set would want to buy these re-issues as well? Of course the answer it ‘yes’.

These re-issues do not replace the box set unfortunately. The box set still retains its value as it holds more tracks.

Good try Omnivore – I hope the Posies re-issues don’t take tracks from the Posies box set as well. Please be more creative than that.

15. Steven Roberts says:

Boy, oh boy, Omnivore sure all milking the Jellyfish brand. To date we’ve see have released:-

Vinyl editions of the first two albums;
    Live at Bogarts LP/CD;
    Stack-a-trax CD*;
    Radio Jellyfish LP/CD…

…and now the deluxe CD editions. Problem is, whilst the aforementioned releases contained exclusive material and ranged from the essential to the merely very good (if a little curious)*, there is nothing on the deluxe editions that hasn’t already seen a release as part of the Fan Club box set (surely a contender for Best-Box-Set-Ever Award).

I love Jellyfish, but if Omnivore want to me to flash the cash on them again they need to bite the bullet and give us 5.1 mixes of both albums (with B-sides) in hi-res Blu-ray or SACD.

I would buy THOSE in a heartbeat.

16. Pingback:Jellyfish reissues up for pre-order | superdeluxeedition