Jimi Hendrix / Both Sides of the Sky

Both Sides of the Sky is a ‘new’ Jimi Hendrix album being released by Experience Hendrix and Legacy Recordings which features 13 studio recordings made between 1968 and 1970— ten of which have never before been released.

Both Sides of the Sky is the third volume in a trilogy of albums that feature unissued studio recordings, following Valleys of Neptune (2010) and People, Hell and Angels (2013).

Many of the album’s tracks were recorded by the trio that would come to be known as Band of Gypsys: Jimi on guitar and vocals, Billy Cox on bass, and Buddy Miles< on drums and indeed Both Sides of the Sky opens with their uptempo reworking of Muddy Waters’ Mannish Boy.

Lover Man is a Hendrix original and this rendition was recorded by the Band Of Gypsys in December 1969 — complete with a homage to the Batman theme song! Elsewhere, Hear My Train A Comin’ (from April 1969) features Hendrix’s old muckers, drummer Mitch Mitchell and bassist Noel Redding and further highlights include previously unheard recordings of Stepping Stone, Jungle, Cherokee Mist (which features Hendrix on sitar) and the January 1968 recording of Sweet Angel.

Both Sides of the Sky also features an assortment of guest musicians including Stephen Stills (who befriended Hendrix at the June 1967 Monterey Pop Festival), Johnny Winter and Lonnie Youngblood, his old bandmate from his pre-fame days in Curtis Knight & The Squires.

This archival release was produced by Janie Hendrix, John McDermott, and Eddie Kramer. Kramer served as recording engineer on every Jimi Hendrix album made during the artist’s life.

The album, with its striking cover art, will be released on CD and as a numbered 2LP vinyl edition on 9 March 2018.

Jimi Hendrix

^ Previously unavailable extended version
+Featuring Stephen Stills
#Featuring Johnny Winter
++Featuring Lonnie Youngblood

33 responses to Jimi Hendrix / Both Sides of the Sky

1. John Mason says:

Anyone know who did this cover painting?

2. Jon Shaw says:

@ Brian

Looks like the American tracklist for AYE which means no Red House, Remember or Can You See Me. There must be enough room for all the tracks from both the UK and US versions plus the attendant b-sides in both stereo and mono. Gotta say I’m not a fan of the mono mix of Axis, that album is a million times better in stereo.

3. Paul Wren says:

Reasonable prices for the vinyl versions – well done on that front. I’ve ordered my copy.

4. I wish they used someone better than Eddie Kramer, with fresh ears and coming from a different genre.

Hendrix music could be mixed nicely (with some decent, heavier, bass, for instance) by Godwin Logie, Steven Stanley, Sly & Robbie, Bruce Sweden, or the guy who mixes Earth Wind & Fire.

At last we’d be able to listen to something that’s well founded on a good solide drum and bass, guitars would not be earbleedingly shrill. Sweet, heavy, melodic and a bit more fun too.

• Tom Scheppke says:

I’m not vouching for Kramer’s hearing but the goal here is to present the material with the best sonics without making it sound like it’s from another era. Thank goodness current remastering engineer Bernie Grundman has a light touch unlike some others. If you need “heavier bass” you can always use Beats headphones.

5. voxstarstream says:

@ Mark Borland:

Janie is listed as “executive producer” on all Experience Hendrix releases, meaning she has the final say (and probably a fair amount of input) on those releases.

6. Brian says:

Related Hendrix news – the 1st 2 albums are coming out in high resolution stereo & mono on SACD!

7. Iain says:

I haven’t heard any of this cd (obviously!), but I’ll bet it sounds just like the bottom of a barrel being scraped! (and I am a big ‘fan’ of J.H.)

8. Colin Harper says:

We haven’t seen an official release of any of the surviving parts of the John McLaughlin / Jimi H jams – half an hour on bootleg, but Alan Douglas announced in the mid 70s that there was hours of the stuff (from an all-night jam at the studio). Similarly, one would imagine there must be more of Jim jamming with Larry Young than the (fantastic) short track titled ‘Young/Hendrix’ on one of those early 70s LPs. One gets the impression Experience Hendrix want to keep everything focused as far as possible on ‘rock’, the low-common-denominator version of Jimi. Jazzy jams are probably the most artistically interesting bits still iin the can.

• Fat Old Bloke says:

Colin

Very good point, the jazzy stuff deserves to be put out as well possibly on Dagger Records?

• Colin Harper says:

Indeed. Had he lived, I have no doubt that Jim would have pursued jazz influenced music much more so than basic rock. Blues would have been at the root of everything he did, but as McLaughlin and many others have said, ‘take the blues out of jazz and there’s nothing left’. Rock and simple musical forms would have lost much of their interest for him.

9. Nicholas Love says:

I have all the Hendrix studio CD releases, so I have
    4 versions of Stone Free, 5 Rooms Full of Mirrors, 4 Red Houses, 5 variations of Lover Man (Here He Comes), 4 Hear My Train Comin’, and 4 Bleeding Hearts. And that’s not even counting the ones I have 3 versions or less of. After this release I will inevitably purchase I will be on a staggering 6 versions of Lover Man.

10. Fat Old Bloke says:

I’m certain that there are still some good material from Electric Ladyland sessions we have yet to hear
    I’m also sure there are some 1970 sessions that are being held back for future releases

11. Nicholas Love says:

For every posthumous release since 2010 or so Eddie Kramer has mentioned that this was the absolute last of the outtakes and there’s no more studio stuff worth hearing, yet we keep getting the compilations every three or four years. I keep buying them out of loyalty but after the stellar First Rays and Delta collections I felt like the box set was starting to scrape the barrel, and that was 17 years ago. I can’t imagine what’s still left.

12. Zongadude says:

Would “Send my love to Linda” would be about Linda Eastman (McCartney?) (She took photographs of the Experience that should have been the cover of Electric ladyland).

13. ForThoseWithFourEars says:

As an aside – Next near is the 50th anniversary of Electric Ladyland – which Hendrix described as an exercise in ‘3D sound’. PLEASE ask Eddie Kramer to sort out a surround mix of this, before one of us gives up the ghost …

• Michael says:

Yes, I would also really like to see Eddie Kramer mix ‘Electric Ladyland’ in a 5.1 surround sound, which IMO is essential. I am still hoping and praying for this, as I would happily drown in the right-left-front-back phasing of Jimi’s psychedelic guitar attacks on songs like House Burning Down, and Voodoo Child (slight return). ‘Both Sides of the Sky’ looks interesting more because of the Stephen Stills and Johnny Winter collaborations, plus the album cover portrait of Jimi Hendrix is truly beautiful.

• Gis Bun says:

Probably an SDE with 4 CDs, 3 LPs, a cassette and a DVD and/or Blu-ray and charge something ridiculous like $175. :-)

14. Lemmin says:

Some may find this barrel scraping but not me. Few estates have managed a catalog better than Hendrix. They release everything slowly, we’ll packaged and at a good price. You can get all his proper 60’s releases on 200G vinyl in the US for an average of $15 and they sound great. They have never fleeced his fans like many other classic artists have. I have very few complaints about anything they’ve released by Jimi, vault or otherwise.

15. voxstarstream says:

Personally I prefer the 4 posthumous albums from the early 70’s. Even though the 4th one, “War Heroes”, was starting to “scrape the bottom of the barrel” a bit, it’s still a good album – certainly better than any of the compilations Janie has put together.

16. Ken Evans says:

Three years ago I actually went to the trouble of ripping all of my Hendrix discs and cataloging everything by recording date and made a 36 hour playlist in order. Which is fascinating because about a third of it is from 1970. The reason I did this is because of all these seemingly-random collections that have no context, including all the recent box sets, most of which I had only heard once or twice. So I got a lot out of listening to it this way. Very much wish the family’s approach was similar to the Dylan bootleg series – where each release contains everything noteworthy from a particular period or project. The concert releases have been good but these single-disc “new albums” and box sets have been maddening. Of course I can’t wait to buy this simply because I no idea Jimi ever recorded Joni’s Woodstock.

17. Solid Rick says:

Why not release this stuff properly in a major multi-disc set like Dylan’s Cutting Edge? Issuing one more randomly assembled CD of unrelated outtakes (as they do every few years) just seems like they are deliberately dragging this out and creating a very unsatisfactory “product” in the process.

18. The Golden Age Of Things says:

2xLP ordered. I have VofN and P,H&A on vinyl so I gotta complete the trilogy. Don’t I?

19. Chris Squires says:

Assuming “Numbered” means something – what is the print run for the 2LP version.

Can’t see the point of numbering unless it is under a few thousand. Anyone know? Paul?

20. Hasn’t this horse been flogged enough? Will they so be so desperate for new product they will release a recording of Hendrix flushing the toilet?

• peter chrisp says:

Well to my surprise or should i say shock a few people have already reviewed each track on the forthcoming album and i can’t judge until i hear the album but from what they have said it’s pretty poor

• Greg says:

I have a bootleg of several outtakes of Jimi flushing the toilet! Still waing for it to come out in 5.1 though.

21. gootsy says:

Still waiting for “Black Gold”… But the Hendrix / Stills take on “Woodstock” could be interesting.

22. Alan says:

Any new(archive) Jimi is pretty much an automatic buy for me, but this will probably be played once or twice and then I will go back to the core trilogy from 67-68.

23. Colin Harper says:

‘This is the last of the good stuff,’ Eddie Kramer said, on the release of the previous vault album. I have a feeling he or his heirs will be saying similar things about Hendrix vault trawls for years to come.