Jimi Hendrix / Electric Ladyland 50th anniversary super deluxe edition

Jimi Hendrix / Electric Ladyland 50th anniversary super deluxe edition

3CD+blu-ray  • 6LP vinyl+blu-ray • demos • 5.1 mix

This November, Sony’s Legacy Recordings and Experience Hendrix, L.L.C. will reissue a 50th anniversary edition of Jimi Hendrix‘s third and final studio album Electric Ladyland.

This new edition of the 1968 album will be available as a 3CD+blu-ray set or a 6LP+blu-ray edition. Via the blu-ray, both include a new 5.1 surround sound mix by Eddie Kramer, 24 bit/96 kz high resolution stereo audio, as well as a documentary on the making of the landmark record.

Electric Ladyland – 3CD+blu-ray 50th anniversary box set

The album has been newly remastered by Bernie Grundman from the original analogue tapes. This is of course the first CD and being a double this is obviously spread across two records for the vinyl set. Audiophiles will be delighted to hear that Grundman prepared an all analog direct-to-disc vinyl transfer of the album.

The second CD (or the next two LPs for the vinyl box) feature ‘More Electric Ladyland: The Early Takes’ which presents 20 never before heard demos and studio outtakes. Some of these are intimate demos for song ideas Hendrix recorded himself on a reel-to-reel tape at the Drake Hotel, as well as early recording session takes featuring guest appearances from Buddy Miles, Stephen Stills and Al Kooper

Electric Ladyland – 6LP + blu-ray 50th anniversary box set

The final two LPs (or the last CD) feature ‘The Jimi Hendrix Experience: Live At the Hollywood Bowl 9/14/68‘. This is a ‘recently unearthed’ soundboard recording of the concert that took place just weeks before the release of Electric Ladyland.

As well as the 5.1 surround mix and hi-res stereo, the blu-ray element includes the full-length documentary At Last… The Beginning: The Making of Electric Ladyland.

In terms of presentation, the vinyl set contains three gatefold 2LP sets and the blu-ray disc. This come with a large 48-page book containing Jimi’s handwritten lyrics, poem and instructions to his record label, as well as never before published photos from the recording sessions that were shot by Eddie Kramer himself. It appears as if these slot into an outer slipcase. The 3CD+blu-ray set appears to be a large format book edition with the same booklet content.

This Electric Ladyland 50th anniversary super deluxe edition will be released on 9 November 2018

Jimi, The Experience Hendrix

Electric Ladyland 3CD+blu-ray

Jimi, The Experience Hendrix

Electric Ladyland 6LP+blu-ray

Electric Ladyland 50th anniversary super deluxe 3CD+blu-ray

CD 1 – Electric Ladyland remastered by Bernie Grundman
1. …And the Gods Made Love
2. Have You Ever Been (To Electric Ladyland)
3. Crosstown Traffic
4. Voodoo Chile
5. Little Miss Strange
6. Long Hot Summer Night
7. Come On (Let the Good Times Roll)
8. Gypsy Eyes
9. Burning of the Midnight Lamp
10. Rainy Day, Dream Away
11. 1983…(A Merman I Should Turn to Be)
12. Moon, Turn the Tides…Gently Gently Away
13. Still Raining, Still Dreaming
14. House Burning Down
15. All Along the Watchtower
16. Voodoo Child (Slight Return)

CD 2 – More Electric Ladyland: The Early Takes
1. 1983…(A Merman I Should Turn to Be)
2. Angel
3. Cherokee Mist
4. Hear My Train a Comin’
5. Voodoo Chile
6. Gypsy Eyes
7. Somewhere
8. Long Hot Summer Night
9. Long Hot Summer Night
10. Long Hot Summer Night
11. Snowballs at My Window
12. My Friend
13. At Last…The Beginning
14. Angel Caterina (1983)
15. Little Miss Strange
16. Long Hot Summer Night
17. Long Hot Summer Night
18. Rainy Day Dream Away
19. Rainy Day Shuffle
20. 1983…(A Merman I Should Turn to Be)

CD 3 – Jimi Hendrix Experience: Live At The Hollywood Bowl Sept. 14, 1968
1. Introduction
2. Are You Experienced?
3. Voodoo Child (Slight Return)
4. Red House

Plus:

• At Last… The Beginning: The Making of Electric Ladyland documentary

Electric Ladyland 50th anniversary super deluxe 6LP vinyl +blu-ray

Electric Ladyland – original album remastered by Bernie Grundman

Side A

1)   … And the Gods Made Love
2)   Have You Ever Been (To Electric Ladyland)
3)   Crosstown Traffic
4)   Voodoo Chile

Side B

1)   Little Miss Strange
2)   Long Hot Summer Night
3)   Come On (Part I)
4)   Gypsy Eyes
5)   Burning of the Midnight Lamp

Side C

1)   Rainy Day, Dream Away
2)   1983….(A Merman I Should Turn To Be)
3)   Moon, Turn the Tides….Gently Gently Away

Side D

1)   Still Raining, Still Dreaming
2)   House Burning Dowm
3)   All Along the Watchtower
4)   Voodoo Child (Slight Return)

More Electric Ladyland: The Early Takes

Side A

1)   1983…(A Merman I Should Turn To Be)
2)   Voodoo Chile
3)   Cherokee Mist
4)   Hear My Train A Comin’

Side B

1)   Angel
2)   Gypsy Eyes
3)   Somewhere
4)   Long Hot Summer Night [Demo 1]
5)   Long Hot Summer Night [Demo 3]
6)   Long Hot Summer Night [Demo 4]
7)   Snowballs At My Window
8)   My Friend

Side C

1)   At Last…The Beginning
2)   Angel Caterina (1983)
3)   Little Miss Strange
4)   Long Hot Summer Night [Take 1]
5)   Long Hot Summer Night [Take 14]

Side D

1)   Rainy Day, Dream Away
2)   Rainy Day Shuffle
3)   1983…(A Merman I Should Turn To Be)

Jimi Hendrix Experience: Live At The Hollywood Bowl Sept. 14, 1968 (Dagger Records)

Side A

1)   Introduction
2)   Are You Experienced
3)   Voodoo Child (Slight Return)

Side B

Electric Ladyland presented as:

• Uncompressed LPCM Stereo 24b/96k
  • Uncompressed LPCM 5.1 Surround 24b/96k
  • DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 Surround 24b/96k

Plus:

At Last… The Beginning: The Making of Electric Ladyland documentary

86 responses to Jimi Hendrix / Electric Ladyland 50th anniversary super deluxe edition

1. Michael says:

I agree the box set photo, although pleasant, looks a bit ‘family holiday’ conventional. I think if Linda McCartney’s photograph was accepted by the record company executives back in 1968, as per Jimi’s request, the photo would have been enhanced with some psychedelic graphics, or photo effect to convey a more otherworldly, hallucinatory feeling, more befitting the music on Electric Ladyland. Sadly, since Linda McCartney is no longer alive to authorize or oversee someone who might alter her photo to make it more dynamic for this 50th Anniversary edition, the cover art photograph has been issued “as is.”

That’s fine, and I’m more than happy to have an SDE of one of my favorite albums of all time, but my personal choice is to pre-order the 6 LP + Blu-ray package so I can also have the large individual album covers that I prefer for Electric Ladyland.

2. David Olstein says:

Is the LP reissue going to be available separately, or only as part of the 6LP box set?

Hopefully Analogue Productions will reissue Electric Ladyland on SACD (with both the stereo and 5.1 mix).

3. Bruce Kelso says:

cd japan has it listed as a japanese pressing 3cd 1 dvd cost $100. also it states that cd 1 the original lp is REMIXED by eddie kramer. all other sites state remastered. so……. who right?

4. Gisabun says:

I can see it now in 2028:
    A new edition [on whatever media that is popular then] but 60th anniversary featuring the album remastered again A bunch more demos and out-takes but not the same as this edition.
    On the video/HQ side, a few better demos in 9.2, thrown in are some cover versions by the artists of the day, a documentary, and some fluff. The nude women back on the front cover

5. Payden says:

Currently $44.32 on Amazon USA

6. Brevor Trucking says:

Hope there’s a reissue of Blood Sweat & Tears’ self titled 1969 album soon….

7. Dick Byrne says:

No DVD of TV appearances, promo films, interviews and live footage from the ‘Ladyland’ era? As Father Liam would say, ‘Shoddy! Shoddy! Shoddy!’

8. Scott Meze says:

It’s going to be worth it if there’s finally a legitimate full length version of the 10 minute “Rainy Day” jam (the LP cut it in half on sides C and D with some overlap and lots of overdubbing) and the complete 8 minute “1983” Drake Hotel demo, both of which are only currently available on boots I think (the officially released version of this I’ve heard omits the last section). Side D of the outtakes LP suggests this might be the case…but without knowing the timings it’s a gamble, and putting the “Rainy Day” jam on two tracks in worrying…

Still, wonderful to finally have this with Hendrix’s original cover — but I bet they haven’t followed through by having his original gatefold design too. Maybe one day we’ll get Hendrix’s full cover design on LP. We know exactly how it should look since Hendrix made detailed notes, reproduced in the 1997 CD.

Incidentally, technically the UK version was released ahead of the US version (both were released on 16 October 1968 but the UK stores would have opened first) so the naked ladies cover might be seen as the “true” cover. It’s certainly the one I prefer, and I wish it was still available. The US “Jimi has an orgasm” one is horrible. As I wrote in “Progress 1968”, if your UK cover has teeth marks on it, retire.

9. D. Majestic says:

Great news!! Just pre-ordered. Thank you Paul

10. Andy Haines says:

Yet again the UK fans get stung nearly £40 more than our US fans! Why do we keep being ripped off? It’s the same product!! I’d also like to know if there will be a vinyl release of just the album, without all the extra stuff?

11. Electric Sydney says:

I see it’s being offered at Amazon Canada now.

• Gisabun says:

@Electric Sydney
      “I see it’s being offered at Amazon Canada now.” You mean over-priced at Amazon Canada.
      Bunch of amateurs they are anyways.

12. madman says:

Can’t wait to get this one, even though I’m pretty sure I have most of the “never before heard demos and studio outtakes” on various bootlegs. I’m hoping those have been cleaned up and sonically improved. Is the documentary the same one that was on the last CD re-issue?

13. Ivor Canning says:

Crikey – more ‘unreleased’ Hendrix gems . Mind you, I’m still waiting for my Amazon.co.uk pre-release order of the “West Coast Seattle Boy” compilation which I placed back in April for £11.

14. Brian Smith says:

Going by the 50th anniversary re-issues with 5.1. Then next year should be good. Especially if they (whoever that may be) release Bowie’s Space Oddity in 5.1.

15. Kevin Wollenweber says:

Oh, now this is good news! This is one of my favorite albums, one of my first purchases when I had money enough to buy my own albums at local record departments at the local mall, but I only recall the brightly lit and blurry photo of Jimi singing out under red and yellow lighting. Being blind now, I can’t appreciate the actual intended cover, but the music is still as intended, and I cannot wait to hear that! I’m kind of disappointed that there isn’t an inclusion of “Rainy Day, Dream Away” and “Still Rainin’, Still Dreamin'” as one track. I knew of FM radio stations that did fuse the two together and, so, they were often played together. I sure hope they do this for the previous two Experience albums, especially because there are mono and stereo mixes, sometimes with glaring differences…and, hey, why not a 5.1 on those two albums, too?

16. Gisabun says:

Well, looks like you will want to keep your 2010 edition as that version had the “Inside Look” documentary. Yup. A whopping 13 minutes!

17. Rasputin says:

Now it’s clear why Echoes Pink Floyd on vinyl will not be released!

18. Karl says:

It’s Electric Ladyland!! Got it preordered :)

19. Mark Wita says:

Hopefully the outtakes are not what have already been widely circulated.

20. The Golden Age Of SE Box Sets says:

Electric Ladyland✔️
    Imagine ✔️
    More Blood, More Tracks✔️
    Big Pink✔️
    Waiting For The Sun✔️
    Mott✔️
    Joe Strummer✔️
    Village Green✔️
    Ogden’s Nut Gone Flake✔️
    White Album✔️
    Tull✔️
    Steve Hackett✔️
    ….and more including hopefully Beggars Banquet & Animals.

Where the feck am I going to put them all?

21. ashleyplath says:

When I first saw the cover I thought it was Fat Mattress.

22. voxstarstream says:

The vinyl version offered by Experience Hendrix since 1997 was purportedly an all-analog mastering. So I guess this yet another mastering?

23. Steve Benson says:

Excellent. But I still have to stitch the two Rainy Days together myself!

24. Stephen says:

Regarding the unreleased material, how can none of this have come out before on the countless anthologies of outtakes, etc? Are we sure these are truly previously unreleased?

25. Phil Cohen says:

I wonder if we’ll get “Somewhere” in its original form, which now exists only as a (widely, but poorly bootlegged) mix. We’ve gotten various doctored versions:
    1.The “Crash Landing” version which replaces all of the original backing musicians with studio musicians, and adds non-Hendrix guitar.
    2. The version on the Jimi Hendrix Experience “Purple Box”. This has most of the original instrumentation, except with Buddy Miles’ drumming replaced by a clumsy attempt by Mitch Mitchell. Mitchell’s effort involved erasing Buddy Miles’ effort from the multitrack. This is why the song, in its original form exists only as a (muddy sounding) mix.
    3.The version on “People, Hell & Angels”. Hendrix’s one (and only) vocal attempt is “flown in” (synchronized ,with mixed success) to an entirely different Jimi Hendrix, Buddy Miles.Stephen Stills) backing track.

Did I order the set? Of course. I buy all of Experience Hendrix’s CD product, except pre-Experience recordings (Curtis Knight)

26. Andrew R says:

That’s just sorted my choice of Christmas present from my girlfriend…thanks

27. Albert says:

Where is the alternate version of (Have You Ever Been To) Electric Ladyland that briefly appears on the Classic Albums documentary? And it wasn’t the version that appeared On Loose Ends either…

28. ross says:

This is a 24/96 PCM Source & analogue productions only convert the mastertape to a pure DSD file to master the Sacd
    DSD was designed for archiving analogue tapes to digital & very hard to edit compared to PCM but they sound much better

29. ross says:

another 24/96 digital file exactlythe same as the bluray & pressed to vinyl
    will save a wedge & just buy the bluray
    Not a patch on the reference quality sound you will get compared to the full monty 100% AAA version of Axis due soon from analogue productions

30. Bruce Kelso says:

WOW, experience hendrix does something right. what a nice fall/winter treat. i have the japanese blu ray cd, it sound out of this world. i will go for the 3cd/1 dvd tho.s

31. Bill Z says:

I’ll be the first (and probably last) to say it: his weakest album while he was alive. Give me the first 2 LPS every time, and then the fantastic material he intended for the 4th studio album. Will I buy this? Oh hell yeah, it’s Jimi. It’s far from a bad album, I just think it’s overrated. To each his own of course, not trying to stir things up…

• John Straub says:

Well you stirred me up. “To each his own” . . . that’s complete NONSENSE. Hendrix is beyond the subjective.
      You’re not listening. It’s surprising how many ” fans” have not heard 1983. Try again.
      But it’s foolish to rate any of Jimi’s music, especially the albums. They are all blueprints to which everything else aspires to.

32. johnny says:

Thanks for the news..

BTW, I had to laugh at an amazon email I received just yesterday…

We’re still trying to obtain the item(s) which you ordered on April 08 2018 in Order#

Jimi Hendrix “West Coast Seattle Boy: The Jimi Hendrix Anthology”

Wonder if I’ll ever get it : )

33. George says:

Does the Blu-ray only contain tracks from the album itself or does it include the content from CD 2 & 3 as well?

34. Pablo says:

Pre-ordered… JIMI, no doubt… Thanks Paul

35. Kim says:

‘Cherokee Mist’ – fingers crossed that it will be the proper electric one, this time around. The version on Both Sides Of The Sky was godawful!

I interviewed Janie at the time of the purple box set release, and asked her about the cool electric version. She said one day, but not to hold my breath. Good advice, because it’s been a bloody long time.

As an aside, I also asked her about the possibility of there being anything in the archives of Jimi and Janis together. I mentioned how several books had recently mentioned how into each other they were, “hooking up” whenever their touring schedules intersected. Much like a certain Sir, who used to be fond of trying to rewrite Beatles history in his own favor, Janie snarled at me, “My brother would NEVER have had anything to do with that… (pause, while she mustered as much disgust as possible)… WOMAN!” The tone on “woman” was clearly meant to indicate something that had crawled up from the pits of hell and had public sex with your leg.

36. Mark McKendrick says:

Mazzy…. that’s not strictly true. There’s no record of Jimi ever having said that – only latent third party claims. What Jimi IS on record as having said is that he didn’t choose and wouldn’t have chosen the Track Records sleeve art. As an aside, for a 50th anniversary package – for history’s sake – I would have included both versions…. and replicated the original labels on different discs.

37. Jeff says:

This one is a definite. I’m stunned that there is actually new material that we haven’t heard.
    Electric Ladyland in 5.1 is a dream come true.

38. Robert says:

Electric Ladyland is an extraordinary album, even 50 years after it was first released. The phasing effects during the opening track were mind-blowing in regular stereo through headphones, so I’m really looking forward to hearing what Eddie Kramer has done for the 5.1 mix of the album. I might normally pass on the vinyl version, but Bernie Grundman’s involvement in the mastering of this means that I’ll probably break down and get that as well. Between this and The Beatles 50th, this is shaping up to be an expensive autumn!

39. TOM says:

This looks great,not a bad price…Ordered!

40. richard says:

Paul, great news, but did i miss something .. was there a 50th ann. edition from the 1st & 2nd album like this … ??

thanks for helping out

Richard

• Klaus says:

Not for the first one (Are You Experienced?) but for the second one (because Electric Ladyland was the second ;-) ). So there’s still hope for an SDE of the third one (Axis: Bold As Love), especially when you think that the Hendrix estate has never been shy in
      shelfing out “new” releases.

41. Mark McKenrick says:

£50. Pissed meself. Janie, who had no time for him and his English associations when he was alive… she’ll do well ot of this.

42. David Bly says:

The big question is whether they will have the pictures from the original UK version with the naked women of the front and great pics of the Experience on the inside.
    I understand that Jim was pissed about this, and the family has never released it this way, but to be honest in this anniversary set, they should at least show them.
    As it is, one of the covers picture was from the European “Electric Ladyland vol. 1” single LP, so……..

43. E.B. Cremers says:

What is exactly on the blu ray ? just the original album ?
    or are any extra’s from the 3 CD’s included ?

The track listing on the post tells you what is on the blu-ray.

• E.B. Cremers says:

Call me stupid, but the post doesn’t show track listing on the blu ray
        So my question about the content (5.1 tracks !) of the blu ray is still not answered,
        who knows ?

The post says “Electric Ladyland presented as:” It doesn’t say “also the following bonus tracks” therefore the 5.1 is ONLY the album. The stereo hi-res is ONLY the album. So you now know.

44. John Mason says:

Is it an oversight to NOT include a DVD?

45. andrew R says:

Once again this is how to celebrate a 50th anniversary
    (Oh Jimmy…. what an excuse) one question where are the ladies?
    Why the alt cover ? offence might be caused to the thin skinned i presume .
    post Weinstein what a world!

• Mazzy says:

That was Jimi’s original intended Cover. That’s why.

• Matt S says:

This is the cover version Hendrix originally wanted. He disliked the one with the ladies.

Taken from the Ultimate Classic Rock website:

The incident prompted Hendrix to write an extremely passionate and detailed letter – complete with sketches like the one above – to his American record label, explaining exactly how he wanted the Electric Ladyland art to look when they released it. They rejected his request, instead choosing the now famous red and yellow close-up of the guitarist’s face for the cover, and relegating most of the photographs he sent them to the inside panels.

46. Neil Wilkes says:

Instant pre-order for me.
    I wonder if the remastering left the original phase setup intact? Word is the tape boxes have “do not adjust for phase” all over them, and the original stereo sure does decode back into Quad using QS filters rather nicely, plus it upmixes well too in the usual suspects (Penteo, DTS Neural etc) so a new 5.1 will be really interesting.
    I’m definitely in!

47. Paul Sugars says:

It says on the Jimi Hendrix website that the vinyl version is limited but doesn’t say to how many … still it’s one of my favorite albums of all time so in for this one !!

48. Kevin says:

Wow! This looks great, and it seems that Bewrnie Grundman has done the vinyl mastering!

49. DPman says:

Wow. Finally something uncompromised.
    Looking forward to get this.

50. Bob Reid says:

I was wondering why analogue productions were not offering this title as one of their SACD hybrids. Now I know why. Very excited about this one.