Is there such as thing as ‘too much’ content in a box set? Not, it seems, if you are prog-rock specialist Panegyric Recordings, who are preparing, The Road To Red, a 24-disc box set, that attempts to comprehensively capture the essence of King Crimson‘s US tour of 1974 and the process leading to the band’s Red album released the same year.
The set is released on 14 October and to break down the content, you get 21 CDs, a DVD and two Blu-ray discs. In total, 16 concerts are featured across the various discs and you can enjoy new mixes of the Red studio album. More detail below:
• 20 CDs of live material drawn from:
• 10 concerts recorded on stereo soundboard cassettes directly from the band’s mixing desk – all previously unreleased on CD, audio newly restored at DGM Soundworld in 2013.
• Five concerts professionally recorded on multi-track tape. Parts of these shows have been previously included in the USA & The Great Deceiver releases, but they are all included here with many of the performances in full on CD for the first time.
• One CD drawn from an audio restored high quality bootleg of the band’s final 1974 New York concert previously available only via mail order and now re-mastered.
• CD 21 features a new stereo mix of Red by Steven Wilson & Robert Fripp
• DVD (compatible with all DVD players) High Resolution Stereo mixes of the Asbury Park/USA concert in its various released/unreleased configurations (24bit/48khz).
• Blu-Ray Disc 1 features full lossless audio 24/192 transfers of four complete professionally recorded concerts newly transferred at the highest possible resolution from the original analogue Dolby SR half inch mix-downs in LPCM stereo.
• Blu-Ray Disc 2 features a 24/192 transfer of the Asbury Park/USA concert.
• Blu-Ray Disc 2 features a new stereo mix of Red in 24/96 LPCM stereo by Robert Fripp & Steven Wilson.
• Blu-Ray Disc 2 also features the original stereo mix of Red along with the 5.1 mix of the album in 24/96 LPCM + bonus audio material.
The discs are all packaged in eight individual 3-disc digipacks, which is a great idea, because you can easily store them outside of the box.
The album sized box comes with an album sized booklet which features rare and unseen photos, new sleeve notes by Robert Fripp and Sid Smith, technical notes on the recordings by David Singleton, expanded band member diary entries and eye-witness accounts from fans who attended the gigs and various items of memorabilia, including postcards, album prints, replica set lists and more.
This set is limited to initial orders and will not be repressed.
If you order direct from the official artist store (Burning Shed/Panegyric) you get a free T-shirt.
- • Amazon UK Pre-order: The Road To Red 24-disc box
- • Amazon USA Pre-order: The Road to Red 24-disc box
- • Amazon CANADA Pre-order: The Road to Red 24-disc box
- • Amazon GERMANY Pre-order: The Road to Red 24-disc box