King / Remixes and Rarities

Cherry Red continue their Remixes & Rarities series (initiated by a certain SDE editor) with a two-CD set of classic 12-inch versions, rare mixes and other audio nuggets from short-lived 80s pop band King.

The band were signed to CBS and released two albums in the mid-eighties (Steps in Time and Bitter Sweet) and they delivered a top ten hit apiece (Love & Pride and Alone Without You). Three other singles charted in the UK top 40 but the besuited and mulleted group called it a day soon after and Paul King ended up as a ‘VJ’ for MTV (and later VH-1)

There are loads of different mixes on this set including four versions of Love & Pride and five variants of Alone Without You. The label say that “where available we have sourced the tracks from the original production master tapes”.

King’s Remixes & Rarities will be released on 15 June 2018.

King

REMIXES & RARITIES

Amazon uk 6LP coloured vinyl box 8
HMV uk 6LP coloured vinyl box 12.99

DISC ONE
1. LOVE & PRIDE (BODY AND SOUL MIX)
2. SOUL ON MY BOOTS (RUB A DUB MIX) *
3. AIN’T NO DOUBT *
4. FOOLS *
5. WON’T YOU HOLD MY HAND NOW (HEAVY TIMES MIX)
6. FISH (REPRISE) (LIVE) *
7. WON’T YOU HOLD MY HAND NOW (ENCORE) (LIVE) *
8. AND AS FOR MYSELF (LIVE)
9. WON’T YOU HOLD MY HAND NOW (SINGLE REMIX) *
10. ALONE WITHOUT YOU (SCORCHER MIX)
11. I KISSED THE SPIKEY FRIDGE (ROCK HARD MIX)
12. THE TASTE OF YOUR TEARS (BREAKER HEART MIX)
13. TORTURE (P. F. EXTENDED MIX)
14. GROOVIN’ WITH THE KINGS

DISC TWO
1. SOUL ON MY BOOTS (SINGLE VERSION)
2. LOVE & PRIDE (EXTENDED MIX) *
3. WON’T YOU HOLD MY HAND NOW (THE MAGNIFICENT 12″ MIX) *
4. ALONE WITHOUT YOU (U.S. EDIT) *
5. LOVE & PRIDE (DUB MIX) *
6. TORTURE (SINGLE VERSION) *
7. WON’T YOU HOLD MY HAND NOW (YOUTH MIX)
8. ALONE WITHOUT YOU (CLUB MIX) *
9. LOVE & PRIDE (LIVE VERSION) *
10. WON’T YOU HOLD MY HAND NOW (85 REASONS TO HOLD HANDS MIX) (CLEAN VERSION) *
11. ALONE WITHOUT YOU (STREET MIX) *
12. WON’T YOU HOLD MY HAND NOW (DUB MIX) *
13. ALONE WITHOUT YOU (INSTRU-NANA-MENTAL MIX) *

* AVAILABLE ON CD FOR THE FIRST TIME IN THE UK

38 responses to King / Remixes and Rarities

1. soundstory says:

so now it’s out, any comments about the sound quality?

• Daneil Hunt says:

It sounds good and is mastered well; there are a few mistakes but nothing that bad. The live versions of ‘Won’t You Hold My Hand Now’ and ‘Love & Pride’ are not the versions issued at the time, the single remix of ‘Won’t You Hold My Hand Now’ (from the 1985 re-release) isn’t included instead they’ve included the album version. The US Edit of ‘Alone Without You’ isn’t included they’ve included the standard single/album version instead, the US Edit is a version which cuts off the na-na’s at the beginning and starts with the drum beat. ‘Soul On My Boots (Single Version)’ which I couldn’t hear any difference between this version and the “Steps In Time” album version, apart from the better sounding mastering. Overall it’s a good compilation, I just wished they could have filled it up a bit more with just over 65 minutes on disc 1 and just over 63 minutes on disc 2 there was space for more.

• Omar says:

How many vinyl rips are there?

• Daneil Hunt says:

Far as I can tell the only vinyl rip on this release that is noticeable is ‘Alone Without You (Club Mix)’, apart from that I couldn’t hear any other vinyl rips.

2. Omar says:

Pre-orderd mine already. A Flock Of Seagulls Remixes & rarities from last year was pretty good as were the Bucks Fizz and Paul Young sets previously. It would seem that anything with the Remixes & Rarities title by Cherry Red is a safe bet.

3. Omar says:

I always liked King and have bought every release by them. Wondering about the quality of the new compilation?

4. Neil Young says:

The six and a half minute Love & Pride (USA Summer Mix) is missing too. This appeared on side two of the Alone Without You (Scorcher Mix) along with I kissed the Spikey Fridge (Rock Hard Mix) which is included. It also appeared on the POP 12 Inch 3 disc set about 10 years ago. Not a vinyl rip if I recall.

I remember taking the original Love and Pride 12 inch back to HMV in 1984 disgusted that it was only a two minute instrumental tacked on the beginning of the 7 inch mix. Cheapskates I thought. It was at least £2.99 as well.

• Daneil Hunt says:

‘Love & Pride (USA Summer Mix)’ is included on Disc 2 using its US release version name of Extended Mix.

5. Nigel says:

What about Queen?

6. Nick says:

The first I heard of Paul King was as lead singer of The Reluctant Stereotypes. I still have a worn out cassettes of their album The Label
    I believe this still exists online somewhere as an MP3 download. Certainly worth a listen. The title track is rather good indeed

7. The Jackal says:

Couldn’t they find any more solo shots of Paul King for the cover?

Cherry Red “We want to put out a King compilation on CD”
    Paul King “Fine, but only if there’s one shot of the rest of the band on the cover”
    Cherry Red “That’s fine, we only have one photo and that’s without you in it”
    Paul King “How many of me?”
    Cherry Red “We can fit six of you on the cover”
    Paul King “Great, I’m worth six times more than the rest of the band!”

8. Kauwgompie says:

This is missing an interesting remix. It called Love – Pride And Brutality (7’20”). It was the b-side of Paul Kings solo hit “Follow My Heart” on the cd single. Would be great if they can still add this.

9. Dean says:

Loving this release. The Cherry Red website is now running ok and there are still signed copies available.

10. David S says:

Obviously one for the completists. Although I loved the band at the time, I think listening to 6 different versions of ‘Won’t You Hold My Hand Now’ in one go will wear a bit thin. While I realise that different versions of the album tracks would be few and far between, I think I’ll stick to the original albums.

11. kevin A says:

i read somewhere that King had recorded a double A side at sarm studios with julian mendleson, just before they split, what ever happened to those tracks?, thats what i would call Rarities, and i would love to listen to those, if indeed they exist.
    i think cherry red made a boo boo, with these king releases, especially Steps in time, they should have followed the track listing from the original cassette version, which a lot of people liked judging by some of the comments on amazon. but in saying that, its good to see these releases. King where a great band.
    ps/ actually i have a good quality live recording of the band i taped off the radio back in the 80’s.

• Rob says:

Hi Kevin
      I was too young to remember King but all the fans do talk fondly about the cassette version. King had so many non album tracks and b sides.
      I am interested in your live show. They were two BBC recordings: Dominion Theatre & Glastonbury. I have some King bootlegs recorded from the audience. If you want to discuss further you can email me humanracer@yahoo.com

12. Griffin says:

@Paul S, thank you for the post. I think I’ll order it. Just to hope using vinyl is to a minimum. And good mastering of the vinyl sourced material without cracking sound nor too compressed.

@Rob, thank you for the info’s of the original CD’s with remixes & the album versions etc.

@Chris, thank you for your honesty & the inside info’s about how Cherry Red operated using vinyl while not even tried to get the masters.

13. Darren says:

Great release. Being from Coventry and a teenager around 85 they bring back great memories of ripped out seats at Coventry theatre as they hit their peak. Great act live, nothing like the pop portrayal that you saw in the music press.

Steps in time is one of the most underrated 80s albums. Second album was a bit lumpy but hey what second album isn’t! Imploded when Paul King wanted to go solo quickly. His solo album was a flop but Music TV was beckoning.

BTW the Cherry Red release of “Steps in time” has the remixed single version of WYHMHN by mistake!!

14. Jan V says:

Thanks for the signed tip from the Cherry Red website, Chris Squires! Ordered one, about 50 left.

15. Aaron says:

The cover reminds me of one of those make it yourself moonpig mother’s day cards! Maybe because I was just doing one..(my wife is American)

Lots of bands which cherryred have the rights to would make a great remixes set…i’m thinking Haircut 100 / Nick Heyward – some great 12” mixes back in the day!

• Rich H says:

They’ve already done a double CD set of Pelican West (within the last couple of years) which has all the related 12″ versions. Well recommended.

16. colin says:

Thanks for the reminder about the signed copies Chris Squires. Last time I went on CR website it was down. It is a bit slow still today but is working an my order has gone though so cheers fellow music fan! Be quick if you want the signed copy folks as when I ordered mine it stated there were only 55 Signed copies left. Cheers.

17. Scott says:

I’ll be curious of their sources for some of the previously not on CD tracks after dubious “where available” remark on masters. When I did the Bitter Sweet reissue for them years ago, I worked from my original CD’s for most tracks but for the non-CD material I resorted to my vinyl collection. Not because tapes were not available from Sony, but because it’s what I was instructed to do. Their Steps In Time reissue used the previous U.S. CD for most tracks but they did spring for master sources for the additional tracks on that one, though I wasn’t involved.

Interesting…

• Kauwgompie says:

Astounding how Cherry Red operates. They seem better than Edsel but still lightyears from ideal. I personally don’t mind if songs are sourced from vinyl. A properly “sourced from vinyl” track is always better than nothing at all but only if there are no proper masters. So now we find out that even if there are proper masters, they still source from vinyl. What a total joke! Astounding really.

• Chris Squires says:

Hey Kauw – I would guess it’s pure economics. It might be different if they owned the masters – someone who does this kind of thing for a living might be able to help here – but I would hope it more than “Can’t be arsed”.

They will know how many they think they can sell and if it costs more to go back to the tapes than they could ever hope to make in sales then economics rules the day.

However much I loved King back in the day I realize they are not going to sell shed-loads. My barely educated guess is that the licensing costs *plus* mastering the originals made it a non-starter….
        To be honest I couldn’t worry less, just glad to have the music, even if it isn’t 100%.

And to Dave Richards below – King were Top of the Pops staples, if they were in the charts they were on Top of the Pops. I guess they were eager and reliable and going on the TotP specials you talk about you realize that many other groups were neither of those things and a right royal pain in the arse to boot.

• Scott says:

Economics on a small scale, and that’s not enough to toss out shoddy quality for the sake of what turns out to be a fairly nominal savings. I just released my first CD reissue last week on my brand new reissue label (the 1975 album by Ataraxia titled ‘The Unexplained’) and by far, the largest cost is the licensing. I’m talking many thousands of dollars. If you want a shiny new master transfer, including bonus tracks, you’re still talking often less than $1000. For just the album master it may only be a few hundred. Cherry Red have grown by leaps and bounds in the past decade, there is no excuse to side step available masters, especially in that case. I’m a struggling new startup and masters are essential to my releases.

• Chris Squires says:

Interesting Scott, Thanks for the further insight.
            I wish someone would do this for a 1982 to 1986 era Stephen “TinTin” Duffy…..

• Matthew says:

Given the state of some recent remastering a transfer from vinyl might be preferable!

18. Chris Squires says:

Ah these guys were just great. A real sense of fun, almost, if you will, a rockier Wham! (but without the mega success) The clothes, the boots, the hair and, not to forget, some bloomin’ good songs. I saw them twice in Birmingham just before and just after their mega (short-lived) success. A bit of research says Feb and Nov 1985 (I thought it was 1986, but it wasn’t).

The two previous Cherry Red releases are superb and this will make a nice addition, there are some signed copies available from the Cherry Red website if that is your thing for £10.95 plus reasonable postage. And it states that 17 of these tracks are new to CD in the UK, which is a bit ambiguous but there are certainly several that I don’t think I have heard.

All in all, chuffed to bits this is coming out.

19. Dave Richards says:

Funny, in the US, King was an almost-one-hit-wonder, but after watching several of those Top of the Pops specials on the BBC I am beginning to realize they were a much bigger deal in the UK.

• RJS says:

Not really, Dave. Five Top 40 hits, with two reaching the Top 10. Most people will only remember Love & Pride.

• Rob says:

That wasn’t bad for a year of chart activity. Remember in 1981, Duran Duran had three hits, only one of which made the top 10.
        I think King arrived on the scene a bit too late. They sounded like they came out of 1983.

• RJS says:

But they were never a “big deal” in the UK except for a few weeks in early 1985 when Love & Pride climbed to No.2 in the singles chart. Their second and final studio album peaked at No.16 whereas Duran Duran went on to have a few years of worldwide success.

20. colin says:

There are 2 versions of TTOYT (Breaker Heart Mix). On is a vinyl rip and lower quality and the other is mp3/cd quality. I think they may be slightly differing lengths too! The original CD release of Steps in Time used to command a high price but not so much in the last 5 years or so. AS Rare Glam says the 2 Cherry Red releases of SIT and Bitter Sweet are also worth getting for the album tracks as well as the mixes!

• Rob says:

King’s CD history is a bit odd. The 1st CD issue of Steps in Time was not until 1993 and had no extras. Yet Bitter Sweet had a 1985 release, a European CD made in Japan and with a few remixes in place of album versions. There was also an actual Japanese release which followed the LP tracklist. The digital version available to buy now is also the LP mix.
      I just bought the original CD pressings of the albums last week. The Breakerheart mix can be found in great quality on there. The alternative Breakerheart mix from the 12” is found on the Best Of, which includes lots of single mixes.

I am really grateful for this release as the chance of any King CD being released in 2018 was slim at best. Kudos to them for rounding up all the versions of Won’t You Hold My Hand Now even though it would seem repetitive. Let’s face it these CDs are more of an archive than something to listen to in a single sitting.

21. Rare Glam says:

Nice, I’ll grab that. I have both the CD albums which contain about half these tracks as bonuses that Cherry Red previously issued. I’ll glady get this set for all the others though.