Led Zeppelin / The Complete BBC Sessions / super deluxe edition box set

This September Led Zeppelin will release The Complete BBC Sessions, an expanded and remastered version of their 1997 BBC Sessions album which adds a third disc of eight unreleased performances. This new set will be available across a number of formats, including an 8-disc super deluxe edition box set…

The original two-disc collection featured live recordings selected from the band’s appearances on BBC radio between 1969 and 1971. The eight unreleased BBC recordings including three rescued from a previously ‘lost’ session from 1969. Originally broadcast in April of that year, this session included three songs: I Can’t Quit You Baby, You Shook Me and the only recorded performance of Sunshine Woman.

Also included amongst the unheard audio are two unreleased versions of both Communication Breakdown and What Is And What Should Never Be. These performances are separated by two years, illustrating the bands’ evolution in such a short space of time.

Led Zeppelin / The Complete BBC Sessions super deluxe edition box set

super deluxe edition box set (click to enlarge)

Jimmy Page has supervised the remastering and this new release is available as an eight-disc super deluxe edition that delivers the 33-tracks across five vinyl records and three CDs. Similar to the album super deluxe sets, this box set includes a 48-page book, a ‘high-quality’ print of the original album cover (the first 20,000 of which will be individually numbered) and a hi-res download card, providing all content at 96kHz/24 bit. It’s fair to assume that the design and dimensions will match the other box sets, making this a good companion to the rest!

You can also buy a five-LP vinyl set (good price on Amazon UK) separately (with the bonus material on the fifth LP) and a 3CD edition. The sets come with extensive session- by-session sleeve notes written by Dave Lewis, providing, for the first time, accurate details and notes about all of the band’s BBC sessions.

The Complete BBC Sessions will be released on 18 September 2016.

Led Zeppelin

Shop Price GBP Stock
HMV uk 6LP coloured vinyl box 19.99

track_listing

thecompletebbcsessions_3cd

Complete BBC Sessions 3CD Edition

Disc: 1
1. You Shook Me (23/3/69 Top Gear)
2. I Can’t Quit You Baby (23/3/69 Top Gear)
3. Communication Breakdown (22/6/69 Pop Sundae)
4. Dazed And Confused (23/3/69 Top Gear)
5. The Girl I Love She Got Long Black Wavy Hair (22/6/69 Pop Sundae)
6. What Is And What Should Never Be (29/6/69 Top Gear)
7. Communication Breakdown (29/6/69 Top Gear)
8. Travelling Riverside Blues (29/6/69 Top Gear)
9. Whole Lotta Love (29/6/69 Top Gear)
10. Somethin’ Else (22/6/69 Pop Sundae)
11. Communication Breakdown (10/8/69 Playhouse Theatre)
12. I Can’t Quit You Baby (10/8/69 Playhouse Theatre)
13. You Shook Me (10/8/69 Playhouse Theatre)
14. How Many More Times (10/8/69 Playhouse Theatre)

Disc: 2
1. Immigrant Song (1/4/71 Paris Theatre)
2. Heartbreaker (1/4/71 Paris Theatre)
3. Since I’ve Been Loving You (1/4/71 Paris Theatre)
4. Black Dog (1/4/71 Paris Theatre)
5. Dazed And Confused (1/4/71 Paris Theatre)
6. Stairway To Heaven (1/4/71 Paris Theatre)
7. Going To California (1/4/71 Paris Theatre)
8. That’s The Way (1/4/71 Paris Theatre)
9. Whole Lotta Love (Medley: Boogie Chillun/Fixin To Die/That’s Alright Mama/A Mess of Blues) [1/4/71 Paris Theatre]
10. Thank You (1/4/71 Paris Theatre)

Disc: 3
1. Communication Breakdown (23/3/69 Top Gear)*
2. What Is And What Should Never Be (22/6/69 Pop Sundae)*
3. Dazed And Confused (10/8/69 Playhouse Theatre)*
4. White Summer (10/8/69 Playhouse Theatre)
5. What Is And What Should Never Be (1/4/71 Paris Theatre)*
6. Communication Breakdown (1/4/71 Paris Theatre)*
7. I Can’t Quit You Baby (14/4/69 Rhythm & Blues Session)*
8. You Shook Me (14/4/69 Rhythm & Blues Session)*
9. Sunshine Woman (14/4/69 Rhythm & Blues Session)*

*Previously unreleased.

completebbcsessions_5LP

Complete BBC Sessions 5LP vinyl set

Side 1
1. You Shook Me (23/3/69 Top Gear)
2. I Can’t Quit You Baby (23/3/69 Top Gear)
3. Communication Breakdown (22/6/69 Pop Sundae)
4. Dazed And Confused (23/3/69 Top Gear)

Side 2
1. The Girl I Love She Got Long Black Wavy Hair (22/6/69 Pop Sundae)
2. What Is And What Should Never Be (29/6/69 Top Gear)
3. Communication Breakdown (29/6/69 Top Gear)
4. Travelling Riverside Blues (29/6/69 Top Gear)

Side 3
1. Whole Lotta Love (29/6/69 Top Gear)
2. Somethin’ Else (22/6/69 Pop Sundae)
3. Communication Breakdown (10/8/69 Playhouse Theatre)
4. I Can’t Quit You Baby (10/8/69 Playhouse Theatre)

Side 4
1. You Shook Me (10/8/69 Playhouse Theatre)
2. How Many More Times (10/8/69 Playhouse Theatre)

Side 5
1. Immigrant Song (1/4/71 Paris Theatre)
2. Heartbreaker (1/4/71 Paris Theatre)
3. Since I’ve Been Loving You (1/4/71 Paris Theatre)
4. Black Dog (1/4/71 Paris Theatre)

Side 6
1. Dazed And Confused (1/4/71 Paris Theatre)

Side 7
1. Stairway To Heaven (1/4/71 Paris Theatre)
2. Going To California (1/4/71 Paris Theatre)
3. That’s The Way (1/4/71 Paris Theatre)

Side 8
1. Whole Lotta Love (Medley) [1/4/71 Paris Theatre]
2. Thank You (1/4/71 Paris Theatre)

Side 9
1. Communication Breakdown (23/3/69 Top Gear)
2. What Is And What Should Never Be (22/6/69 Pop Sundae)
3. Dazed And Confused (10/8/69 Playhouse Theatre)
4. White Summer (10/8/69 Playhouse Theatre)

Side 10
1. What Is And What Should Never Be (1/4/71 Paris Theatre)
2. Communication Breakdown (1/4/71 Paris Theatre)
3. I Can’t Quit You Baby (14/4/69 Rhythm & Blues Session)
4. You Shook Me (14/4/69 Rhythm & Blues Session)
5. Sunshine Woman (14/4/69 Rhythm & Blues Session)

65 responses to Led Zeppelin / The Complete BBC Sessions / super deluxe edition box set

1. jon 77 says:

Is the live version of Whole Lotta Love from 71 complete this time or the same edit as the previous bbc release?

2. Callage says:

“box set includes a 48-page book, a ‘high-quality’ print of the original album cover (the first 20,000 of which will be individually numbered).”

‘spose it’s not as useless as a piece of chalk, but am trying to get my head around the concept of only numbering the first 20k. Why number them at all if it is not a limited edition?

Unless it’s some mad form of suggestive PR, and ‘we gotta catch ’em all’?

3. Lee Taylor says:

Remember when the box set came out in 1990 with two unreleased tracks and Jimmy Page said that the vaults had been emptied with Coda?

4. BritinDetroit says:

Don’t see much enhancement to the original issue

I had sorta hoped that Mr Page would let loose with a SDE Live Box including Destroyer

5. Matthew North says:

Its a bit poor that the 2 Radio 1 concerts are split up surely be better to have them complete.

6. Matteo Leoni says:

Why didn’t they list the songs in a simple an logical *chronological* order?
    First two track from the 1969′ march 23rd session, then one from june 22nd, then march again, then june, and “Communication breakdown” from the same march session is at the end, after the ’71 sessions… it makes no sense.

7. Zongadude says:

The is named “The complete BBC sessions”. Does this really contains every track recorded for the Beeb by the band, or is another commercial “shortcut” ?

• Gisabun says:

There will be a “Really Complete BBC Sessions” out in 10 years when Page and/or Plant needs some cash in their retirement.

8. Kevin says:

Nice! Although, it would have been nice to see the entire sessions re-sequenced chronologically, but I imagine that would have necessitated a fourth CD. I think the Paris show disc is pretty damn close to 79 minutes.

9. MOK says:

I really hope so Jon. Was a terrible edit last time and lost all of “For What It’s Worth” which had been exemplary on the full radio package. Perhaps Jimmy fell out with Stephen Stills….(!). Anyway also hope it is the full WLL this time, but I wouldn’t be too hopeful.

10. Dean says:

Boy – shouldn’t this stuff have been included with the original albums on the bonus discs? The bonuses presented on the albums was scant, and rather thin. Then you find out there was new stuff, but they were holding it back.

Still – what can you expect for £100 an album. :/

11. Eric says:

This is an improvement but certainly not the Holy Grail which we seem to be in short supply of these days as artists do the bare minimum to ensure they can mine the vaults for decades. I would have preferred they’d gone back and right the wrong that was the re release of The Song Remains the Same.

12. Gisabun says:

I would guess the remaining albums and maybe even video releases will get a further “deluxe” treatment. Wouldn’t mind seeing the “DVD” set on Blu-ray.

13. Adey says:

I didn’t think much of the 2cd release. Will probably put the 2cd one on ebay asap (not worth much tho) and get the 3cd set
    Ahh… The joys of being a completist!

14. Mario says:

Still missing “White Summer/Black Mountain Side” from Coda 1993 edition.

• Mic Smith says:

White Summer Black Mountain Side is on Disc 3.
      I think they should have resequenced everything personally and given us the unedited version of Whole Lotta Love from 1971. I suspect we’ll get the edited version.

I’m particularly pleased to get Communication Breakdown from 1971 as I once had a tape of the In Concert show taken from the John Peel show in 1977 but the tape is past its best.

I will order this to go with the official studio SDE boxes but I do feel it could be improved even more….. Just with a little extra care.

15. LedMan says:

Preordered the Super Deluxe edition.

16. Philip Birtwistle says:

17. Brian says:

It’s great to have an official release of the rest of these tracks, which many of us have had in a fantastic 4-disc bootleg set by Empress Valley Supreme Disc (EVSD).

18. Auntie Sabrina says:

“The three-CD release includes a “lost session”, recorded by the band for the BBC in 1969. The session was wiped from the BBC archive, but was recorded by a fan off the radio and has since been restored by Page”

19. Scott G says:

Having purchased the SDE box set of Physical Graffiti I was exceptionally disappointed with Jimmy Pages remaster. The hi-res download @ 24/96 is completely flat and lifeless – one of the worst sounding remasters IMHO. I would have purchased others but this example of Mr Pages efforts was enough to put me off. Will this be any better?

20. Huw says:

This must be the very last squeeze of the udder in a market Led milking it dry as a bone exercise. In the 70s these live tapes were fun, and full of glitches, now here they are presented to a new audience as if they were some holy grail which they are not. They are an accountant’s triumph. Print a bit more cash whilst you can!

21. Brian Stanley says:

Maybe they held this back just to make sure they wouldn’t have to retype the writing credit on “Stairway to Heaven” ?

22. Philip Birtwistle says:

Earlier I said :

“Can’t be “Complete” because the bootleg BBC Sessions runs to 4 rather full discs!!!!”

In fact, looking at the tracklisting, I have the Alexis Korner session on the discs I downloaded long long ago!!!!

23. Dave H says:

Initially, I thought the CD isn’t in chronological order because the amount of times ‘Commnunication Breakdown’ is played. As it happens, the track can be separated by other tracks even in chronological order though I’m not sure of the exact order of each broadcast.

1. You Shook Me (23/3/69 Top Gear)
    2. I Can’t Quit You Baby (23/3/69 Top Gear)
    3. Dazed And Confused (23/3/69 Top Gear)
    4. Communication Breakdown (23/3/69 Top Gear)*
    5. I Can’t Quit You Baby (14/4/69 Rhythm & Blues Session)*
    6. You Shook Me (14/4/69 Rhythm & Blues Session)*
    7. Sunshine Woman (14/4/69 Rhythm & Blues Session)*
    8. Communication Breakdown (22/6/69 Pop Sundae)
    9. What Is And What Should Never Be (22/6/69 Pop Sundae)*
    10. The Girl I Love She Got Long Black Wavy Hair (22/6/69 Pop Sundae)
    11. Somethin’ Else (22/6/69 Pop Sundae)

1. What Is And What Should Never Be (29/6/69 Top Gear)
    2. Communication Breakdown (29/6/69 Top Gear)
    3. Travelling Riverside Blues (29/6/69 Top Gear)
    4. Whole Lotta Love (29/6/69 Top Gear)
    5. Communication Breakdown (10/8/69 Playhouse Theatre)
    6. I Can’t Quit You Baby (10/8/69 Playhouse Theatre)
    7. You Shook Me (10/8/69 Playhouse Theatre)
    8. How Many More Times (10/8/69 Playhouse Theatre)
    9. Dazed And Confused (10/8/69 Playhouse Theatre)*
    10. White Summer (10/8/69 Playhouse Theatre)

• Mic Smith says:

How Many More Times was the set closer on the 1969 in concert show. The rest looks reasonably ordered to me but I guess Dave Lewis might actually know the order in which the studio tracks were originally broadcast.

24. Charlie Waffles says:

I wait in anticipation…

25. Luke Jackson says:

26 comments and I’m really the first person to remark upon the hideous, hideous album cover? It’s the worst thing I’ve seen since, well, Let It Be… Naked. Not to be negative ;-)

26. MiG says:

I never considered this canonical any more than “How The West Was Won” (is that next?). So, in this case, where’s the 1cd version (just consisting of disk 3) for those of us who already have the original 2cd set? That would be the fan-friendly thing to do.

But wait, it’s also been remastered. Does that mean I’m actually going to tell the difference in a good way, since I can assume they knew how to master tapes in 1997, or did Jimmy mix it to sound good in his beloved You-know-who headphones as he seems to have done the others? (JP, 2014, just in case we all forgot the purported reason for this reissue campaign: “The advent of Beats headphones, for heaven’s sake, has given everyone a different perception of listening. You’ve got all these digital formats, and it was apparent that everything had to be remastered in every format, all in one go, across the board.”)

27. Tim says:

Glad it’s coming out at last, but pretty pointless not to have the new tracks from the two concerts in their correct place. Anyone who already has the 4-CD bootleg is probably better off.

28. Dean T says:

Love all the super deluxe sets so far and can’t wait to add this to the collection .Am I one of the few who plays the companion disks on a regular basis? If you play them through from first to last l find you really do get a altantive view on the set of albums ,just as mr page intended with his mirror image idea .Better start saving the pennies …September starting to look a bit expensive if we get more Pink Floyd reissues (fingers crossed ).

29. xrey says:

Perhaps not as critical as a BBC listener’s rare radio aircheck recently discovered, but I notice the 1997 limited edition promo interviews that came with the Best Buy (US) 3CD edition aren’t included. These 3 interviews ran 65 minutes.

30. Pingback:Led Zeppelin BBC Sessions Coming Hi-Res

31. Robert Todd says:

I pre-ordered the 8 disc edition with Amazon UK on 21/07/16. I thought the £97.74 price was a bit much. Now they have put it up to £139.99 I’m quite chuffed.

The vinyl only has gone up from £60 to £85 too!

• Gisabun says:

Amazon loves to play with the pricing until its release. They are listing the 3CD at Amazon.ca at 22 GBP. I ordered it when it was about 12 GBP. It may drop a bit on Friday or after that when they see they aren’t getting any buyers who didn’t pre-order. :-)

32. Keith Lambert says:

Having purchased all of the SDE’s during the studio back catalogue release campgain, I would like to own this set (although as others have noted, some of the bootleg releases are more complete).

However, given the recent deal alert Paul kindly alerted us to (i.e. Houses Of The Holy) I think I’m going to wait and save a few bucks!

33. Harald Fjaer says:

Well, well, well….the ripoff continue….
    I find it somewhat curious that a man that is medically deaf remaster albums. On my HiFi system, the new remastered CD`s is sounding thin, with far too much energy in the upper freqensis. I have Physical Graffiti on Japanese SHM CD, and it is better than all other editions I have of that album. Other SHM CD`s I have, are much better sounding than European/US editions. How come, when they charge so much for new “remastered” CD`s, why not deliver the product as the best that can be? The same goes for the box sets (complete) by Family, Alex Harvey, Streetwalkers and The Pretty Things….real bad sounding CD`s. I do question myself if those who do the remastering are listening to the finished product, or if they do not cive a f%#k. Such expansive box sets should be of the best quality regarding the sound, not half muddy as a bootleg.
    Sadly, there are some difficulties to obtain SHM CD`s, maybe SDE should begin advertise them?
    I recon that we will have to buy everything once or twice more….when the SACD and BlueRay editions are released.
    ….and yes, I have a very decent HiFi system….

34. Alan Wilson says:

Very good price on the Deluxe set in Spain at the moment, considerably cheaper than anywhere else, it’s worth a punt.

35. Geoff says:

Showing as £38:75 but jumps to €147 when you click through.

Amazon Spain mis-priced it, have now corrected and they’re not honouring any previous orders. widget now updated.

• Gisabun says:

Seen that before. They goofed once on Porcupine Tree’s In Absentia DVD Audio. Saw it for 99 cents [!!!] they accepted mine but anyone after who ordered [I sent an Email out to friends] got rejected. [I think actually that was illegal in my jurisdiction if it was done now.]

36. Geoff says:

Thought it was too good to be true.

37. Mic Smith says:

This seems to be occurring more and more with Amazon. A friend of mine preordered the Graham Parker boxed set only to be informed they wouldn’t honour the special low price……

38. Dean T says:

Amazon have a product photo showing the back side of the super deluxe set at the moment.shows a list of contents etc…but it is clearly a lift off box lid type box and not the clamshell type used so far.bit of a shame really as it will not sit with the others quite as well.
    Why did they do this for the super deluxe? It would work with the five lp edition but the super deluxe!…nearly as bad as no back flips..

39. Paul Wren says:

Hold your fire if its the vinyl only version you want as surely this will be heavily discounted to reflect unsold stock before the year is out………………………………

40. Dean T says:

Just seen some unboxing photos on the Steve Hoffman site,yes it is a lift top box as I thought but it does look very nice .the book is not hard back ,but again looks great.l think Paul is right this will come down in price quite quickly .l had thought about cancaling my order but it shipped a few hours ago and I got a good pre order price thanks to this site(great stuff Paul)so wil see when it turns up.Have a very busy September ahead now with Zeppelin Bowie and Floyd all arriving at my door(better put the kettle on then)This could get loud.
    Again thank you Paul ,I made some good savings on early pre order prices especially Bowie and Floyd .I don’t expect then to come down in price for quite some time.
    Dean.

41. LedMan says:

So far I’ve listened to the vinyl and it’s dead quiet and the remaster sounds amazing. Not sure if my copy is numbered or not however I’m just glad to have it.

42. Dean T says:

Hi LedMan
    Glad to hear it sounds good ,I have read in places that this is a worth while up grade from the 1997 release .From what I can gather they used the original bbc analog tapes to make new masters with just a few of the tracks taken from dat tapes.I am quite releaved realy because I do own the 200g Classic records set (which I realy play because it’s worth quit a bit on e bay)but that set was taken from the 1997 digital masters and it kind of shows when you listen .My set is due today and I had thought of sending it back ( because of my classic set… Do I need both..)
    But it sounds like it’s worth keeping .
    By the way if you bought the super deluxe check your artwork print to see if it’s numberd or not ..if you bought the five vinyl set that’s not a numberd set .

43. James Gill says:

The (in)Complete BBC Sessions is a major disappointment to me. Should have been resequenced chronologically and the live sets in performance order, rather than the hotchpotch we have ended up with. Why oh, why have we not got the unedited version of Whole Lotta Love? The collection is still missing songs that are available elsewhere, albeit in bootleg form.
    Whilst the booklet with the 3 cd edition is an improvement, removing it from the slipcase is pretty difficult and will probably end up damaging the cover.

44. Dean T says:

Sometimes copyright and license issues get in the way of giving people what they want .Dont forget the Bbc own the tapes and maybe Jimmy could only remaster the music and not change the running order.the booklet in the super deluxe gives you the clear true running order of the tracks so I think his heart is in the right place but his hands are tied.trust me I too would love to have this properly sequenced .as for incomplete ..your missing a few lines of lyric from anther artist…again copyright issues,not to much to worry about from such a well remaster set .

45. Bob Mersereau says:

Has anyone else bitched that the 5 album version (at least the Canadian) doesn’t have the 48-page booklet? Four pages, just the session dates and track info.

46. Peter says:

Arrived today, super deluxe version!

Excellent quality to be fair, book, numbered print etc all good

Sleeves good

One whine, got all previous SD versions, and expected this to be similar clam shell and sit nicely with them. But it is a lift off box, is this due to different production company, i.e, BBC ??

47. Dean T says:

Once you play…all will be forgiven…totally in love with my set at the moment…

48. Phil says:

I get that there may be legitimate reasons for the haphazard nature of re-issues, particularly with regard to the tracks available at the time of release sequencing to restrict the number of disks. I can’t think of a good reason to keep releasing disks in cardboard packaging that might damage them.