Let The Record Show: Dexys Do Irish and Country Soul

41LgTHtNPdL._SL500_SS50_

Dexys Midnight Runners, or just “Dexys” as they now like to be called, return in June with an album of interpretations of Irish Songs and other ‘select compositions’…

The band are at pains to point out that this is definitely not a covers album or a ‘stop gap’ and indeed, Kevin Rowland asserts that “we had the idea to do this album in 1984 or 1985. It was to be called ‘Irish’ and was to feature songs like ‘Carrickfergus’, ‘Curragh of Kildare’ and ‘Women Of Ireland’ – all of which are featured here. Dexys broke up not too long afterwards, so it didn’t happen.”

Rowland acknowledges that the brief has expanded from solely consisting of Irish songs, to songs he has “always loved and wanted to record” which explains the inclusion of a track like Rod Stewart‘s You Wear It Well.

Finally, he points out that “we’re not trying to be Irish, and we haven’t used too many Celtic instruments on there. It’s our sound. We’re bringing our style to these songs. I’m just a guy who follows my intuition, my inspiration. This really felt like the right thing to do. We have put probably more care and attention into these songs than we might have done with our own songs, because the odds were high.  It was important to get them right, and make sure every one of them felt relevant to us.”

As well as the standard CD, this album is available as a great value three-disc deluxe edition which adds a bonus disc of acappellas and instrumentals, along with a brand new 50 minute film on DVD. A 2LP vinyl set is also available.

Let The Record Show: Dexys Do Irish and Country Soul is released on 3 June 2016.

Dexys

Let The Record Show: Dexys Do Irish and Country Soul (Deluxe Edition)

Shop Price GBP Stock

8. How Do I Live
9. Grazing In The Grass
10. The Town I Loved So Well
11. Both Sides Now
12. Carrickfergus

Disc: 2
1. To Love Somebody (Solo Vocal)
2. Smoke Gets in Your Eyes (Solo Vocal)
3. Curragh of Kildare (Solo Vocal)
4. I’ll Take You Home Again, Kathleen (Solo Vocal)
5. How Do I Love (Solo Vocal)
6. Grazing in the Grass (Solo Vocal)
7. The Town I Loved So Well (Solo Vocal)
8. Carrickfergus (Solo Vocal)
9. How Do I Live (Instrumental)
10. Grazing in the Grass (Instrumental)
11. Both Sides Now (Instrumental)

Disc 3: DVD with short film

3. Carrickfergus

pre-order

2CD+DVD Deluxe Edition

2LP Vinyl Edition

17 responses to Let The Record Show: Dexys Do Irish and Country Soul

1. Rich Morgan says:

Is Big Jim Patterson still involved? I haven’t seen his name mentioned.

2. DaveM says:

Great news. Their last album, One Day I’m Going to Soar is the album of the decade for me so far.

3. martin farnworth says:

blimey! 2 albums in 3 years. seriously though i half expected they might disappear into obscurity again.

4. BritinDetroit says:

About three months out – but ordered and it will swing about $20.00 to Detroit.

From Geno to the Royal Festival Hall and One Day (nice comment DaveM) I have clunked along with Kevin and look forward to this in June

5. RJS Winchester says:

Their comeback album “One Day I’m Going to Soar” from 2012 was so disappointing.

• Jim says:

I disagree. I played that record to death.

• Stan Butler says:

Sorry RJS, but you’re well out of line there.. “One Day I’m Going to Soar” was a majestic album and was rightly given great reviews across the board.

• RJS Winchester says:

It wasn’t universally praised. In comparison to the majestic Don’t Stand Me Down I think it’s very average. I’ll take Rowland’s My Beauty over One Day I’m Going to Soar everytime.

• Fred Holmes says:

Interesting view. I thought it was up there with the best of their work, the majority of which is a very high standard.

6. Mike says:

That live album is incredible. Well worth purchasing.

• BritinDetroit says:

Mike – Totally agree, the 3 disc “Nowhere is Home” at the Duke of York Theatre is well worth having especially if you can nab it around 10 quid

• DaveM says:

The set with the DVDs in is great as well. I was fortunate enough to see the ODIGTS tour live in Manchester, absolutely amazing.

7. tom says:

A couple of tunes previously covered by Bryan Ferry on there. I love Ferry’s version of Carrickfergus and I’m looking forward to hearing this LP.

8. Steven says:

Caught them live in Australia during their One Day I’m Going to Soar tour. A great concert. And the lengthy, complete reworking of Come on Eileen was wondrous. I was surprised not to find it featured on the ensuing live album. No idea why!

Loved that 2013 album and I’m looking forward to this new one.

9. Charles Hodgson says:

Ordered the deluxe cd and the 2lp. Unheard of profligacy for me these days. But this is Dexys, and this will rule hard, like all their – and Rowland solo – records. And another peerless tour will indubitably inevitably follow. Keep on burning.

10. Pingback:Dexys Deluxe now available signed | superdeluxeedition