Liza Minnelli / Results 4-disc deluxe

PRICE DROP! 21 remixes + DVD of videos in new expanded package

Results, the 1989 Liza Minnelli album produced by the Pet Shop Boys and Julian Mendelsohn, is to be reissued as a 3CD+DVD deluxe set in August.

Seven of the ten tracks on this album were written by Tennant\Lowe and it also included some choice covers, notably a version of Tanita Tikaram‘s Twist In My Sobriety and Stephen Sondheim’s Losing My Mind (the first single).

Four singles were eventually issued (Losing My Mind; Don’t Drop Bombs; So Sorry, I Said and Love Pains) although disappointingly, only Losing My Mind was a sizable hit, peaking at number six in the UK (it also reached the top 30 in America).

There have been a few reissues over the years; 2005’s CD+DVD combo, which appended three remixes to the album and offered the VHS Visible Results on DVD and a two-LP vinyl edition from Vinyl 180, which was beautifully packaged, but contained only a handful of remixes on the additional vinyl record.

This new edition goes way beyond both of those, offering a staggering 21 remixes. The second CD delivers seven versions of Losing My Mind and five of Love Pains. The third disc concerns itself only with Don’t Drop Bombs, with nine variants.

Even the DVD (region free, but PAL) included in this new deluxe edition trumps the previous one, adding two extra visual treats: a TV appearance with Liza performing Love Pains and the video of her last single for Sony, The Day After That (which seems a little out of place here).

This Results 3CD+DVD package will be issued on 25 August 2017.

5013929846807

6. TWIST IN MY SOBRIETY
7. RENT
8. LOVE PAINS
9. TONIGHT IS FOREVER
10. I CAN’™T SAY GOODNIGHT

Disc: 2
1. LOSING MY MIND (7″ MIX)
2. LOSING MY MIND (EXTENDED REMIX)
3. LOSING MY MIND (FULL LENGTH ULTIMIX)
4. LOSING MY MIND (ULTIMIX DUB)
5. LOSING MY MIND (ALMIGHTY CLUB MIX)
6. LOSING MY MIND (ALMIGHTY DUB)
7. LOSING MY MIND (ALMIGHTY TRANSENSUAL MIX)
8. LOVE PAINS (STEVE HURLEY’™S RADIO EDIT)
9. LOVE PAINS (STEVE HURLEY’S REMIX)
10. LOVE PAINS (DEEP HOUSE PAINS)
11. LOVE PAINS (DEEP DUB)
12. LOVE PAINS (STEVE HURLEY’S INSTRUMENTAL)

Disc: 3
1. DON’T DROP BOMBS (NEW 7″ MIX)
2. DON’™T DROP BOMBS (EXTENDED REMIX
3. DON’™T DROP BOMBS (DISCONET REMIX
4. DON’™T DROP BOMBS (EXTERMINATOR REMIX)
5. DON’™T DROP BOMBS (PEACE AND LOVE REMIX)
6. DON’™T DROP BOMBS (DUB MIX)
7. DON’™T DROP BOMBS (PERCAPELLA)
8. DON’T DROP BOMBS (ACCAPELLA)
9. DON’T DROP BOMBS (INSTRUMENTAL)

Disc: 4 (DVD)
1. LOSING MY MIND (PROMO VIDEO)
2. DON’™T DROP BOMBS (PROMO VIDEO)
3. SO SORRY, I SAID (PROMO VIDEO)
4. LOVE PAINS (UK TV APPEARANCE)
5. THE DAY AFTER THAT (PROMO VIDEO)

107 responses to Liza Minnelli / Results 4-disc deluxe

1. Tony says:

Yyaaaassssss!!!!!!

2. Any word if the album itself is remastered?

3. David Stanley says:

Love this album! At the time, it was just a clue that the Pet Shop Boys were gay, although in hindsight, it seemed much too obvious. I remember an interview early in their career in a local L.A. paper by a journalist who was a friend of mine who overheard a fan ask Neil Tennant “What type of girls do you like?” Neil answered, “You haven’t been paying attention.” Classic. However, I don’t know if the price here justifies a whole disc of just “Don’t Drop Bombs” remixes. I’ll contemplate this.

• stefan says:

i’ve had the most horrible of days this week but thanks to your neil tennant quote i just had the first laugh in days. priceless. thanks a lot!

• Daran says:

Me too. Somebody ran into the back if my car. This SDE news has cheered me up no end! One of the great pop albums, the best PSB album PSB never released under their own name, and was worthy if more hits. I still remember the excitement of seeing and hearing the two songs on Wogan chat show, when the Pets appeared on the sofa as guests for the first time. Heady days for PSB fans, as they were truly one of the buggest acts in the world by then. Losing My Mind has a killer baseline sequence on it. Never bettered imho.

• Matt NYC says:

It Must Be Obvious that “It Seemed Much Too Obvious” should be a PSB song title.

• John says:

This was your clue that the Pet Shop Boys were gay?

4. Simon says:

Lucille 2 losing her mind and balance

5. David Carter says:

Love this album but quite happy with my original cd

6. bertielego says:

Great news!!!
    Thank you Paul.

7. Joe Mac Pherson says:

The only Liza Minnelli album I bought, and I was really hoping she’d explore more of this direction. The album still sounds fantastic! If There Was Love has such wonderful lyrics, and when I heard the entire LP upon it’s initial release, I knew the Pet Shop Boys put real care into the material they wrote for her.
    The Los Angeles Times music reviewer gave this album a very favorable write-up. So many positive words, and she was dubbed a Pet Shop Girl. The reviewer saw this new style as a double win for her and the Boys. I know in the UK, the album sold really well!
    I paid to see her perform at the Greek Theater, about a year later. She employed a large orchestra, back up singers, dancers. I was so hoping she’d cover a lot songs from the not so distantly released Results; regretfully she only did Losing My Mind. She used the original Pet Shop Boys music track- no orchestra. The rest of her repertoire was very Broadway and Hollywood. I’m sure, to most of the audience, Losing My Mind sounded like nothing they could relate her to.
    I’ll buy this, but proceed slowly with all those remixes!!

8. Ken says:

ok this may be the silliest reissue ever. who needs 9 versions of losing my mind, 7 versions of love pains, and 11 versions of Don’t drop bombs? and only 1 new song?

• Darren H says:

I do!

• Neil Kelly says:

For £29.99… Not me!

• Michael Roberts says:

I do need all the remixes and I am beyond thrilled to be getting them all in one deluxe package. Just because the track listing doesn’t appeal to you doesn’t make this the “silliest release ever”.

You can please some of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time.

You can count me as one of the pleased and very excited for this release.

• J T says:

Actually, putting out everything the artist recorded and/or the record company released from them during the period, and letting people pick and choose which (if any) to skip or program out, IS pleasing all of the people with more than a passing interest.

Passing interest can be sated by just getting the standard album, or a handful of tracks on iTunes, if not with the Standard Deluxe variants some of the Super Deluxe Editions are released alongside.

If there ARE 9 versions of a song I love, I want an affordable opportunity to own all 9. Let me choose which I prefer and would listen to more than the others, but don’t withhold a version just because some wags call it overkill.

Silly would be for a latter-day compiler to have access but think they know better than the producers in the first place and the fans in the second and make a corporate decision to omit 2 or 5 or 8 versions when 9 exist and they’re embarking upon a multi-disc Super Deluxe Edition.

If you love a single enough to buy it, aren’t you going to listen to it at least nine times? Maybe not in a row, but you don’t eat a whole box of cereal in one sitting, it doesn’t mean you go to the store to buy one single-serving pack each morning, if you’ve got the pantry space you get the economy size.

Doesn’t everybody have albums they love but nevertheless skip a track here and there, or just not have time to listen to the whole thing every time they put it on?

The whole idea of a Super Deluxe Edition is it’s more than a bargain-bin “essentials” set.

Sometimes you have commercial considerations. You might want to include ‘one more remix’ but if it means going to an extra CD, you can’t.

• CJ Feeney says:

Yep, I agree. I don’t want multiple remixes of single track, that aspect 80’s is off putting to me. However I do own the Dylan Bootleg box with a whole disc of “Like a Rolling Stone” takes, so I understand why PSB/Minnelli fans would want this set.

9. Robert Lett says:

Love this too, but yea this is a little much for me. I’m OK with the extended one CD version from earlier. Good for the fans though.

10. Stephen E Cohen says:

Funny story for non New Yorkers. At the old Yankee Stadium, when the Yankees would win the game, the Stadium would play Frank Sinatra’s “New York, New York”.
    When the Yankees would lose, they would play Liza’s version! I know this is not really related to this release, but I don’t know when else I may share this story here with our British and other friends.

11. Thomas Weber says:

No personal stone?

12. Auntie Sabrina says:

This is a Cherry Red records release, so hopefully the sound quality is good with regards to all those differe put mixes.

It’s £24.99 with free UK postage and it looks like it comes in a boxset with a nice 40 page booklet detailing the albums history. Not so sure about the discs being labelled Disc A etc though.

Liza was smokin’ hot when she was on TOTP singing Losing My Mind…

13. Andrew Edwards says:

Exquisite timing with this release given the Pet Shop Boys reissue program on WB/Parlophone. It is so ironic when Sony released the reissue in 2005, so many complained about the lack of remixes included and proceeded to list the mixes missing. Now 12 years later when a label includes many of those remixes, now people are saying “the silliest reissue ever” to include multiple remixes of the singles. The good news for complainers is they didn’t have to buy it in 2005 and they don’t have to buy it in 2017

• Jonas says:

Spot on Andrew! ☺️

• Michael Roberts says:

Could not agree more Andrew. No one is forcing anyone to buy this release. I am confident many will though, including myself, and be more than happy with all the remixes brought together.

• Andrew Edwards says:

Oh I am buying this as well. Perhaps 2 copies. Keeping one sealed. It will be a Pet Shop Boys summer and year with all the catalogue in the coming months

• Michael says:

You can count me in for sure. I’ll never forget seeing the video for Losing My Mind and then buying the CD and hearing the pulsing electronic beats of I Want You Now and her exquisite vocals soar across the top.

And If There Was Love is one of the greatest tracks Pet Shop Boys ever created. What a blessed union this was. It remains a favourite.

• J T says:

I totally agree, Andrew.

I get someone not wanting to spend thirty bucks or more on an album. So then maybe a Super Deluxe Edition is not for them? If you’d gotten the album on initial release and then searched for the 12-inches or CD Maxi Singles as they first emerged—much less tracking pristine copies down since then—you’d spend a lot more.

Most of the time, we don’t simply like an individual work by an artist, we like that period of the artist’s work. Speaking for myself, I often prefer the less-well known second single and occasionally even a b-side.

I can’t tell you how many times I see a label remaster an album I liked, and therefore already have in some format or other, but they leave off a key remix or b-side, and half the time I’m like, no.

I don’t know which is worse, my not having been able to track down all the period mixes & bonus tracks and then seeing a lightweight new remaster omit them too, or my having gone to all the legwork and expense back in the day and then they can’t even be bothered to compile them now so every time I’d listen to a remaster I’d wind up feeling unfulfilled without going back to my old vinyl or ripped MP3s of the favorite mix/es.

Which brings me to my question: Where’s the best remix of the whole album, “Twist In My Sobriety”?!?!

They went to Ultimix for “Don’t Drop Bombs” but no Razormaid for “Twist”?

14. WILLIAM ENGLAND says:

Brilliant! … although people moan when remixes are left off and people moan when they are all collected together.
    Sony just can’t win can they…

Admittedly it’s tricky with only three singles, but I’d have mixed the remixed songs up and tried to create something a bit more listenable.

• Trash says:

Agreed!
        Love this album but I couldnt listen to so many consecutive mixes of the same song.
        I thought the previous Results+Visible Results was pretty good (good enough for me at least).

• Michael says:

Precisely Paul!!! As they should have done with the expanded reissue of Donna Summer’s Another & Time, mixing up the mixes, as it were, would be preferable.

• Kennysucina says:

4 singles – as you say in the main article. I have all 4 cd singles, as well as the album. Quite enough for me.

15. Andrew Edwards says:

Yes Paul I agree but that doesn’t appear to be the current trend with reissues that have many different versions of remixes. Oh well, there is always making custom CD’s with the mixes you want and in any order. I believe that is the buyer’s only recourse these days

I frazzled my brain a bit trying to keep all the Tears For Fears “Songs From The Big Chair” remixes apart on the box set. There are 10 versions of Shout, but none of them are sequenced back-to-back!

• Andrew Edwards says:

Yes excellent job with that Paul. However most of the current lot of music reissuers don’t have the love, passion and meticulousness that you have. Wish they did

• Damon Suttle says:

I’ve recently re-ordered all the tracks to play as per the original 12″ singles as they’re all over the place.

• Stevie B says:

Or perhaps press shuffle play if you’ve got that feature on your CD player and hope for the best!

• Randy Metro says:

I view these overkill releases with a zillion remixes as a buffet; I pick and choose the songs I like and make my own custom CDR. I already have a backlog of Results remixes banked away on hard drives for that rainy day Ultimate Results Album I never got to…

I found Steve Hurley’s remixes of Love Pains to be the most interesting. I have all of the original Results CD maxi-singles in cardboard picture sleeves along with a beautiful 12” LP single picture sleeve of Love Pains. Results-era Liza never looked better except in The Sterile Cuckoo.

If anyone is still reading, Liza self-released a concert LP from September 1979 at Carnegie Hall that hasn’t been released on CD. It has the Andy Warhol cover. Cherry Red should look into that. You’d think there are already enough live Liza albums but this one is excellent, more nuanced, and less “Broadway” Liza until side 4.

16. Dave says:

Are any of these mixes previously unreleased?

• Derek T. says:

Unreleased mixes? Yes, some have never had a full release. The Almighty mixes have only been on CD-R promos, the Exterminator and Peace & Love mixes of Don’t Drop Bombs have only been on a French promo 12″ and the Disconet mix was only on one of those Disconet DJs-only CDs.

17. Omar says:

Im going to guess that this is pretty much an expanded version of the 2005 remaster with more remixes. The older version didn’t really sound like it was remastered compared to the original 1989 cd.

18. Jan Burnett says:

Fantastic album.
    The original CD reissue got lost in the Virgin and HMV racks as it was filed under ‘Easy Listening’. such a shame.
    Hopefully this time, it gets the attention it deserves.
    Time to dig out my singles, remixes and greeting card CD single.

19. Nick M. says:

I had high hopes that Liza would stick with this sound and look. It was contemporary at the time and she could reach new audiences. I’d like to think it would have opened her up to perform with other modern-day pop & synth groups. But sadly, well… you know the story. As for “The Day After That,” it was supposed to be Liza’s anthem for AIDS awareness but, truthfully, I can’t say I heard much of it other than the VHS video I bought in support of the single. Saw her a year later in concert and, nope, she didn’t sing it. Instead, it was the usual fare of “Cabaret” and “New York, New York” type of stuff. She’s sang the same damn songs for 40 years now, and had the same look for at least that long… you’d think this PSB project would be better embraced (even by Liza herself!), as I thought it was brilliant! I had all the 12″ singles on vinyl; it will be nice to hear their now dated sounds (being remixes from back then) in clear CD form. That said — why is this only available in the U.K. at this point???? Will the U.S. be treated to the new package as well?

20. Auntie Sabrina says:

Cherry Red records have released several CDs recently with very poor quality sound.

Yazz and the last 2 Divine/Bobby O CDs to name but five.

• Straker says:

It seems to depend on whichever product manager is overseeing the project as to what the end result is. Cherry Red are notorious for ruining some releases that would’ve otherwise been very welcome and then to add insult to injury they are unresponsive to complaints afterwards.

With this many remixes on one set I fear, given their spotty track record, that we’re going to be disappointed. I’ve stopped pre-ordering their stuff and despite being the target market for the Bobby O and Divine reissues, I won’t be buying them new. If they end up dirt cheap second-hand then yes but I’ve been burnt on one too many of their CDs before now.

And as for the remix debate – There’s no such thing as too many remixes!!

21. CJ says:

This is the only Liza album I have ever owned (bought because of the PSB involvement), and I have wanted the original reissue for a very long time, but couldn’t swing the third-party prices they have been asking for it. I am ecstatic that it’s getting a new release wit even more material for less than the original reissue.

22. Neil Kelly says:

Interesting! Does anyone know about the sound quality on this 2017 issue and the last issue (which i own)? At £24.99 / £29.99 it’s way to much for me. It’s basically the original + 3 CD singles! Were there no demos, PSB versions or PSB guide vocal versions they could’ve tagged on to CD1?

23. Auntie Sabrina says:

Neil, all I can say is regarding the sound is that Cherry Red seem to use vinyl rips with some of these type releases.

I do accept that is very hard and no doubt very expensive to track down the master tapes or indeed remaster tapes that are 28 years old.

Cherry Red’s recent BA Robertson CDs have excellent sound quality, and given the original CD was on Sony/Epic hopefully this will be the same.

• Kiki says:

I hope a slight of remaster has been done, essentialy on Hurley’s mixes because they didn’t sound like the rest of the album at the time…

I think that the “exterminator” and “peace and love” mixes of “Don’t Drop Bombs” will be vinyl rips… These mixes were only released as a promo 12″ Here in France as a remix contest… I’m not wether no one (record company or remixer) kept the original tapes…

I wasn’t aware that Yazz reissue had a bad sound ?! except the faulty mixes, the sound wasn’t bad at all…

I had wished that this kind of release will see the light of day for years ! It will be my third times buying this wonderful album (first in 1989 on LP, then the deceiving 2005 reissue on CD…)
      Hey guys, Neil and Chris, you now see that Liza and Dusty has come to wonderful full (or nearly…) releases had come to us, so now we’re waiting for some complete “Please”, “Actually”, “Introspective” and “Behaviour” box sets !!!

• Andrew Edwards says:

Not only are remasters hard to track down at times but impossible to find or they no longer exist or they have to search worldwide for some of them. I’m certain that Sony U.K has made available whatever they had in their vaults to Cherry Red. Sometimes vinyl rips are the only option. For me I would rather have a vinyl rip of a rare or hard to find mix than nothing at all.

• J T says:

Again I’m in agreement with Andrew.

If I own the vinyl or otherwise came to have a vinyl rip because nothing else was commercially available, give me the opportunity to buy the best vinyl rip the label, artist, mix service and/or crowdsourcing can muster, it might be better than what I’ve been listening to already.

And even if it’s not, it’s finally a legit way for the track to be obtained and the artist to be credited and remunerated for the exchange of that version.

24. AlexKx says:

What does “Region Free, but PAL” mean? Wouldn’t that mean it is not region free?

• Neil says:

Region Free means what it says it will play on any DVD player in any country. As regards PAL that’s to do with your TV and if you are in North America you are basically screwed as the TV’s over there only transmit NTSC signals. Strange really when virtually all TV’s in the UK can transmit both PAL and NTSC signals.

• BillyD says:

That’s not true. I live in the US and a good portion of my dvds are from the UK. I have never had a problem playing them. I do have region free dvd and bluray players, but PAL has never been an issue. Check around for codes to make your player region free. Buy a player from ebay or elsewhere that is region free. If you still have a computer that should be able to play multiple formats.
        When I bought my first dvd player I made sure it would play anything cause there were many discs I wanted from the UK.
        I have never spent more than $100 on any player. Most are under $50. I found a first issue Insignia bluray player on ebay for under $50. You type in a code, choose make region free, and there you go. Just make sure you never connect these online. It will automatically update the firmware and disable the region free features.
        Years ago I only had a standard 20-year old CRT tv. Plays everything still. My more modern LCD tv is the same.

• Neil says:

You can hack almost every DVD payer now to change the region codes though Blu-ray players are a different story as they cannot be hacked as far i know. It all boils down to whether or not your TV can transmit PAL signals and obviously BillyD yours does but i imagine a lot of TV’s don’t.

• David Bricknell says:

Region Free relates to the Region Code being set to “zero” (0), meaning the DVD is unrestricted and as such will play on any DVD player worldwide.

However, as the DVD is encoded in the PAL system, this is the signal that your DVD player will be sent to your TV. If you live in a range of countries including the U.S., Japan, Canada or Mexico (to name but a few) you probably have a TV that can only process (the inferior) NTSC signal, meaning it will unfortunately be unwatchable.

25. Larry Davis says:

I’d buy this, when the price drops…I did own the original album (yes because of the PSB) and no other Liza CDs…I did dig the line in “Twist” “that’s Liza with a Z”…for some reason I keep thinking and forgetting that Liza didn’t do the brilliant PSB track “I’m Not Scared”, but that was Patsy Kensit and Eighth Wonder…I too also hoped there would be a proper stylistic sequel to “Results”, but eh what can you do?? I am sure Neil & Chris were mighty disappointed in that, but pleased with this album. As for that comment, “You Haven’t Been Paying Attention”, classic…and is it me, but wouldn’t that be a classic PSB song title?? BTW, I had no idea they were gay till many years later, although it shoulda been a sign partying with them at Studio 54!!

26. Bryan says:

The 2005 ‘remaster’ famously has a skip in one of the tracks. Being Cherry Red, I doubt they’ll sort that out!

27. Gazza b says:

Finally. One of the best PSB albums they never made, expanded like never before. Seems like I’ve waited forever for something like this. Love Pains (deep dub), pure class.

28. cdmaniac says:

I just listened to this last week,. Love it & am excited to spend more money!
    I hope they remaster the DVD. My old laserdisc looked better!?

29. Shane says:

Ever heard of the shuffle function?
    I personally hate reissues that mix up all the songs.
    Ken….what can I say, don’t buy it. Expanded Reissues are made just to include all versions. Did you complain when they released Bob Dylan’s box with all the dates of this tour when he must have performed the same songs dozens of times? Certainly these mixes are much more different.
    Just don’t buy it and go to the flea market and get a used copy of the original pressing.

• bob says:

What would be the point in using the shuffle function if every track on the CD is remixes of the same song?

Haha, yes that is a good point :)

• Daran says:

Sometimes the remixes are grouped together by remixer, so you can get two or three tracks together that are very similar in style / sound as they were remixed by same person or team, but just extended, dub and and radical ‘schizo’ versions sounding too similar. In these cases a shuffle will still help you out by skipping between remixers.

30. Kauwgompie says:

First and foremost I love period remixes so I much applaud this release. And yes who’s going to sit in their living room and pop in a disc w 9 versions of “Don’t Drop Bombs”? A little mixing up of the remixes would go a long way. May be next time. I’ll have to upload it into my Sonos and put the remixea on shuffle. Not a big deal though. Much prefer this than nothing at all. Very happy w this reissue and will get it for sure.

31. Daniel ( from Berlin ) says:

great !!!
    but i must say something. the almighty mixes are from 2002 ( maybe misplaced )
    and the french promo mixes of “don’t drop bombs” are horrible.
    i had this 12” in my collection. they were from a “remix contest”. horrible.
    sadly the instrumental version of “if there was love” is not included.
    PSB used this version for the introduction of their tour at the time.
    but i’m very happy about the dubs and instrumental versions + a-capella.
    the instrumental of “don’t drop bombs” was only released on a 7” and i purchased
    it only for this version.
    i hope the mixes are now taken from master tapes and not from old vinyls!

• Glenn says:

The ‘Don’t Drop Bombs’ Instrumental is also available on the 2-track mini-CD releases:

• Daniel ( from Berlin ) says:

wow i never saw it in shops. i had to purchase the 7” vinyl in that time.
        so then i hope the instrumental version is taken from that cd single
        and not from an old 7” like mine for the re-release of “results”

• Michael Reinberg says:

yes, and cherry red bought my 2 track mini cd about 1 year ago, so this track on CD3 comes from a digital source for sure.. looking forward to this release !

• Daniel ( from Berlin ) says:

hi michael
          thats really interesting.
          how can you know that cherry red bought that cd single from you?
          wrote they a letter to you and ask “please can you help us with digital singles?” ;)

By the way an engineer friend of mine says that taking the audio from an old CD single, is no different from taking it from an old UMATIC, which quite often the kind of tapes that are available in the archives. In fact, the CD is likely to be better since UMATICs can be quite unreliable, because of the moving parts. I’m just making this point because all this ‘from the original tapes’ isn’t always the be all and end all.

32. mike says:

Don’t tell me about your lack of restrictions
    Guilty records and previous convictions
    Or I shall start playing rough
    Baby!

Nine versions of the maddest PSB track ever, what’s not to like!

• Daniel ( from Berlin ) says:

hi mike please listen to the french promo mixes after you get the cd and you will see. horrible.
      nothing like the great regular 12” mixes.

33. StevenL says:

Just got back from watching PSB in Blackpool tonight. Fantastic show again. Into the basket it goes !

34. Francis says:

If you think this Liza Minnelli reissue is good news then you may get excited to know there are two great indie albums on there way in August: “Doppelgänger: 25th Anniversary Expanded Edition” 2 Disc Set – Curve / “Turtle Soup: Expanded Edition” 2 Disc Set – The Mock Turtles.

‘CURVE’:
    DISC ONE:
    ORIGINAL ALBUM
    1. ALREADY YOURS
    2. HORROR HEAD
    3. WISH YOU DEAD
    4. DOPPELGÄNGER
    5. LILLIES DYING
    6. ICE THAT MELTS THE TIPS
    7. SPLIT INTO FRACTIONS
    8. THINK AND ACT
    9. FAÎT ACCOMPLI
    10.SANDPIT

THE SINGLES
    11.FAIT ACCOMPLI (SINGLE VERSION)
    12.ARMS OUT
    13.SIGH
    14.FAIT ACCOMPLI (EXTENDEDEXTENDEDEXTENDED)
    15.HORROR HEAD (SINGLE REMIX)
    16.FALLING FREE

CHERRY EP
    9. CLIPPED
    10.DIE LIKE A DOG
    11.GALAXY
    12.CHERRY

RARITIES
    13.FALLING FREE (APHEX TWIN REMIX)
    14.COAST IS CLEAR (LIVE MANCHESTER ‘91)
    15.DIE LIKE A DOG (LIVE LONDON ’91)
    16.I FEEL LOVE

13. JOHN O’WAR
    14. TAKE YOUR TIME
    15. FIONNUALA
    16. BATHING IN BLUE
    17. CALM BEFORE THE STORM
    18. MAGIC BOOMERANG
    19. WICKER MAN (LIVE VERSION)
    20. WATCHING THE WANING MOON (LIVE VERSION)
    21. JOHNNY SEVEN *

17. SOMEWHERE IN ENGLAND *
    18. SHANGRI-LA
    19. THE ONLY ONE *
    20. ARE YOU EXPERIENCED?
    * PREVIOUSLY UNISSUED

• Martyn Alner says:

Thanks for the info on Curve, preordered on Amazon! :)

• rich says:

Thanks for the heads up on Curve – got pretty much everything on it but in assorted formats and various locations. Noticed there’s an expanded version of the follow up ‘Cuckoo’ so I’ve ordered that as well.

35. bob says:

I love this album but no way is this for me, way to many remixes.

36. Orie says:

Hearing “Losing My Mind” for the first time. Vocals are surprisingly good and low key. The music, though…. was never a fan of PSB’s shrill sound palette.

37. David McCallum says:

2005’s CD+DVD is a super deluxe edition with a handsome booklet and essay by PSB’s archivist Chris Heath. I hope this new edition approaches that package.

38. Auntie Sabrina says:

David McCallam, this new release has “a richly illustrated 40 page colour booklet with essays written by playwright Barney Ashton (Andy Bell Is Torsten) that tell the story of the album itself and give insights into all its component songs.”

39. Joe says:

£23.21 on Amazon UK now.

40. HiDefBear says:

Getting notified of significant price drops is one of the reasons I love and am registered with SuperDeluxeEdition! Thanks for your hard work, Paul. [And yes, I always try to use your links to Amazon for the 0.0001% commission! Every little bit helps, I trust!]

41. Shane says:

@bob and the likes: then just don’t buy it. Seriously, what are you doing here complaining about this being a comprehensive reissue???? Just go. People like you really have nothing to do with anything that is Super Deluxe Edition. That is its definition. Stop complaining. Really, just buy the used one-disc version from 1989. Plenty of them going around!

42. DanaDotCom says:

Glad to see this get a street date after reading about it here a few weeks ago. I agree with some who have said that it’s a bit remix heavy. Face it, many of these mixes sound identical and were half-baked to begin with. Hurley totally deflated the energy from Love Pains, while Don’t Drop Bombs & Losing My Mind pretty much stick close to their LP versions–barring the Almighty mixes that came after the fact. I’ve always been confused about the choice of singles released from this album, especially with such superior tracks like I Want You Now and If There Was Love begging for a remix table. I read in Billboard about a year after Results had run its course that Liza was in the studio recording with Shep Pettobone. I was somewhat wishful that maybe–just maaaybeee–some of that material might have surfaced on this as a glimpse into what might have been. All in all, I still maintain that Results is one of the best (not to mention underrated) female albums of the 80s. It’s mood is undeniable and it’s a quintessential example of the perfect pairing of artist/producer.

43. cdmaniac says:

Hey Paul can you find out if this really is the packaging http://bit.ly/2rJoAYu
    If it is, something must be done to stop this abomination!!

Thank You!

44. Steven says:

Seems you can’t win…leave remixes out and people scream -where is such and such!?! – add them all and people scream – there’s too many remixes!!!

For my twopenneth – I’d rather have them all. At least it gives me the option of constructing my own playlist from everything that’s available.

But, yes, I agree with everyone that they should try and mix the remixes up a bit so you don’t have umpty thrumpty versions of the SAME SONG one after another……

45. Deborah says:

Is the 7″ Mix of ‘Losing My Mind’ actually any different to the album version? I can’t hear any difference in the CD single version of ‘Don’t Drop Bombs’ and the album version either. I know Cherry Red have made these sort of errors before or can someone enlighten me?

• Gregory says:

The 7″ mix of “Losing My Mind” is supposed to be remixed by Julian Mendelsohn & Pet Shop Boys (credits from the single that don’t appear on the album) but the difference with the album version, if there is any, is far from being obvious.
      Regarding “Don’t Drop Bombs”, the regular single version is the same as the album version but the first track of CD3 here is not the regular single version, it’s the ‘New 7″ Mix” that appeared on the remix 12″ (ZEE QT2).

46. Auntie Sabrina says:

cd maniac, given that the packaging is on Cherry Red’s website I’d hazard a guess that it is the finished packaging. Cherry Red recently released a 4 CD boxset of The Vibrators which had a ‘clam-shell’ box and the catalog ID ends in BOX. What about the ‘Disc A’, ‘Disc B’ etc labelling for each disc sleeve then…

Deborah, I think the mixes you refer to are the same, although doesn’t the album version of Losing My Mind mix into If There Was Love?

I hope it’s a clamshell box, but this looks worryingly like it might be similar to the Dusty packaging.

The typography is woeful. Giving the subtitle “Expanded 4 Disc Edition” almost the same prominence as THE TITLE OF THE ALBUM is not a good idea. Even the words ‘expanded 4 disc edition’ sound a bit clunky to me. Also aren’t those words a bit too ‘pink’ – it’s more of a bronzey/orange I thought.

Maybe I’m being overly critical, but this is annoying. What’s wrong with a sticker on the outside of the seal? Once you own this you don’t need to be reminded every time you look at it that it’s the EXPANDED 4-DISC EDITION. You already know!!!

• cdmaniac says:

This was my problem with it. That neon pink – disgusting! (in this context).
        And the font is totally wrong.

Auntie Sabrina: Im praying to the reissue Gods that its just placeholder art.
        PLZ Cherry POP

47. Auntie Sabrina says:

The Reputation Expanded Deluxe CD? The one in the horrible thin card case with the CDs which are almost impossible to get out?

Um, yet again that age old problem of content vs price vs packaging.

Cherry Red BANNED my OBI-strip on Paul Young’s Remixes and Rarities due to cost. That was a best seller for them, too.

• Glenn says:

Yes, was worried about that as well. That packaging is horrible.

48. Auntie Sabrina says:

It seems that the packaging is where any profit/loss is made then.

Remember when Factory Records released the Blue Monday 12″ sleeve and lost money on each copy sold?

49. HS says:

I love this album and already have the previous CD+DVD version. That one looks stunning, in a casebound book. I really hope this new release will be a clamshell box.

Not loving the 4 disc expanded text, hope that will be changed. As for the age old complaints about price: if you don’t want to pay then don’t buy! Four discs at just over 20 pounds sounds fine to me.

50. Robbert van Deursen says:

Cherry Red is also releasing a 3cd deluxe edition set of Expose’s What You Don’t Know on august 18,2017.

51. Dan says:

Delighted to see this album get the same treatment as PSB-era Dusty and Cicero. The icing on the cake would have been the BBC Wogan special, where she performed “So Sorry, I Said” by herself and “Losing My Mind” with Pet Shop Boys. But I suppose there’s the dreaded rights issues involved here….