Lloyd Cole in New York: Collected Recordings 1988-1996 box confirmed

Lloyd Cole In New York: Collected Recordings 1988-1996, the new six-CD Lloyd Cole solo box SDE told you about last year, has been officially confirmed.

This box set will include all four solo albums Lloyd released on the Polydor and Fontana labels between 1988 and 1996 (Lloyd Cole, Don’t Get Weird On Me Babe, Bad Vibes, Love Story) and an unreleased album fifth album, Smile If You Want To. The sixth and final CD is called Demos ‘89-‘94 and features 20 previously unreleased recordings. Unlike the previous Commotions box set there is no DVD element.

lloydcole-ny-box_spread

The Smile If You Want To was was completed at the time, but thanks to time-honoured record company politics it was never released. The songs came out on subsequent albums (namely etc or The Negatives) although the version of Man On The Verge included here is the original Mick Glossop mix (it was remixed by Stephen Street for The Negatives). This is the first time they have been released as they were originally intended and the music is fully mastered by Ian Jones at Abbey Road studios. All the albums have been, in Lloyd’s own worlds “very gently” remastered, he says “there was nothing wrong with the originals”!

The presentation here is consistent with the previous box and will feature a hardback book by John O’Connell with new interviews with Lloyd and featured musicians, producers and collaborators and a selection of photos from the period, plus a poster and postcards that feature Lloyd shot in New York by photographer Kevin Cummins.

Lloyd Cole In New York: Collected Recordings 1988-1996 will be released on 17 March 2017. £37 is a pretty good UK pre-order price.

0602557204643

Lloyd Cole

Lloyd Cole in New York - 6CD box

Shop Price GBP Stock
HMV uk 6LP coloured vinyl box 42.99

0796841876989

Lloyd Cole and the Commotions

The 2015 Lloyd Cole and the Commotions box

Shop Price GBP Stock

track_listing

Lloyd Cole in New York: Collected Recordings 1988-1996

CD 1 – Lloyd Cole

1. Don’t look back
2. What do you know about love?
3. No blue skies

7. Unhappy song
8. Like lovers do
9. Happy for you
10. Traffic
11. Let’s Get Lost
12. For crying out loud

CD 5 – Smile If You Want To (unreleased album)

1. Old enough to know better
11. Went to woodstock
12. I’m gone

bonus tracks
13. Fool you are (demo)
14. Weakness

*Previously unreleased

CD 6 – Demos ’89-’94 (all previously unreleased)

1. A long way down
2. Sweetheart
3. Ice cream girl
4. Wild orphan
5. Loveless
6. What do you know about love?
7. Know you too well
8. The witching hour
9. The english weather
10. I confess
11. To the lions
12. The ship song (Nick Cave cover)
13. Pay for it
14. Weeping wine
15. The one you never had
16. Weird on Me
17. Casanova smith
18. Cold empty room
19. Everyday
20. She Loves You

34 responses to Lloyd Cole in New York: Collected Recordings 1988-1996 box confirmed

1. Tracey says:

I love the artwork! LC delivers once again. Really looking forward to this. Thanks Paul!

2. Liam Bastick says:

Off to see Lloyd Cole going through his greatest hits set here in Melbourne tomorrow night. It will be good to see how he performs these days! Maybe I will have a Lost Weekend…

Enjoy it. He was great in London in Nov. It’s quite entertaining watching father-and-son interaction on stage :)

• Garry says:

Saw Lloyd last night in Adelaide, he was in great form, his voice was superb, around 30 odd songs, lots of witty interaction in an intimate church setting, brilliant.
      Can’t wait for this set.

3. Klaus says:

I pre-ordered it when you first led my attention to it in December. Glad to see it’s GBP 15 off now and there are still more than 2 months to go until the release date…

4. richie says:

Nice one Paul, ordered. I don`t have any of those albums so this is a great release for me. I seem to be going backwards with LC`s music, I have the later recordings. How this has come to be I dunno, I was always a fan when he was with the Commotions. The guy is a class act as evidenced by that pair of live CDs from Pledge Music.

5. Trash says:

Almost purchased it again in my excitement. Luckily Amazon let you know when you have already purchased something :-)

Not usually one to comment on covers but I’m not liking this one particularly. But it’s the content that counts and that is going to be superb – can’t wait!

• Charles K. says:

Lol, have done the same thing myself in the past only to be saved by Amazon as well. Like you it’s usually pre orders.

6. seikotsi says:

This box looks fantastic. I will listen to these albums on spotify and hopefully I like them so I can buy this box :) (Lost track of Lloyd Cole after Lost Weekend…)

• Mark Story says:

Oh, you will like them alright it’s Lloyd Cole!, have them all , buy the box. Fan from early on and saw him in buffalo, ny, awesome!

7. Piotr says:

Looking forward to this box. I saw Lloyd tonight at the Trinity Sessions in Adelaide. First time seeing him live and it was excellent. He signed my stuff too. When he took a look at the Cleaning Out The Ashtrays box set I handed him to sign, he mentioned that Universal asked him for b-sides for the forthcoming box set and his reply to them was there they had all been released on the Cleaning Out The Ashtrays box. Would it kill Universal to do their homework and check the man’s discography before asking him for songs?

• RJSWinchester says:

“Would it kill Universal to do their homework and check the man’s discography before asking him for songs?”

It wouldn’t kill them but who better to ask than the man himself?! Ordered.

8. David M says:

I have the first 3 on CD. I loved the Commotions, but found the solo material got weaker on each subsequent release and I then gave up. Good way to get all together (with some “new” stuff) but surely the originally released albums can be found for pennies.

9. Pingback:SDE Reissue Preview for 2017 | superdeluxeedition

10. Mikey Roberts says:

Cheers for the tip-off Paul: ordered, and looking forward to it.

Those 1st 3 solo albums are really great, but I never fell for Love Story when it came out. Maybe its time has come? It would be fab if at some point Lloyd covers the later albums: I’d love to hear anything in the vaults from the Negatives sessions (that album is possibly my LC fave…)

Funnily enough I was the same re Love Story. Despite the ‘hit’ (in the UK) I lost interest a bit after Bad Vibes…

11. Mila says:

Looks great. So the unreleased album isn’t technically unreleased if the tracks were released on other albums? It’s a compilation then.

The mind boggles why labels put folded up posters and postcards in box sets. A decent book, which the previous box and looks like this includes.

12. Mila says:

I think it’s great that Universal are spending the time and money after all these years on Lloyd’s work. Long overdue.

Whenever anyone mentions Gouster, I smile and think of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fpl49TuQK40&sns=fb

13. russell finch says:

Oh dear – same guy remastering as the Commotions box, which sounded a pretty dingy. Let’s hope they use the right tapes this time !!

14. JuzzyB says:

The demos disc looks interesting but as for the ‘now released as originally intended album’ well, 11 of the 14 tracks are on ‘ETC’. So it has been out mostly as originally intended before.
    Nice set, but as I have the albums I probably won’t spring for it – unless I get a good SDE deal alert!

15. yawitz says:

Re: the unreleased “Smile If You Want To” album, I read the description as that the *songs* were released on later albums (presumably re-recorded), but not these original recordings.

Can someone clarify?

No, I think it’s the same recordings otherwise they’d all be ‘previously unreleased’ instead of one.

16. Randy Layton says:

Those first two solo albums are masterpieces, the first more so, and I did a lot of promotion for those records at the time. And I so wanted to make my own records sound like that then… great production, mixing, songs, voice. And cool touches like ping pong balls in a coffee can for percussion..yeah, the originals are inexpensive but for someone I really believed in, I’ll spring for this.

• Andy Shmushkin says:

“…cool touches like ping pong balls in a coffee can for percussion.”

Ha! That album is so deeply ingrained in me that “Loveless” immediately started playing in my head.

• Trash says:

Ha Ha same here…
        Although I never know what the sound was but as soon as read the description I knew exactly which song was being referred to. :-)

17. Randy Layton says:

I guess I should ask where were the b-sides ? They should be on here….there were some good ones!

18. Stevo says:

Seeing Lloyd Cole tonight here in Melb. :)

19. Matt Thurston says:

Love these 4 albums even better than the “Commotions” stuff. But… BUT… I want vinyl!!! If this is not being released on vinyl I’m not buying. I own all four of these albums on CD already, and the extra stuff is not enough for me to pull the trigger. But if it comes out on vinyl I’m buying, regardless of price.

I think Lloyd said Universal weren’t interested in releasing on vinyl, which I think is strange considering the stuff they *do* reissue on vinyl. So they need another specialist label to license, to make that work.

20. Oscar says:

The cover is very SNL-like.

21. Mikey Roberts says:

I was looking forward to this when you first announced it, Paul and I still am! Will aid my recovery from sinus surgery very nicely ;-)