Luke Haines is Alive and Well and Living in Buenos Aires / 4CD Solo Anthology

This September Cherry Red will issue a four-CD anthology that focuses on solo work of singer, songwriter and author Luke Haines, best known for his work with The Auteurs in the 1990s and Black Box Recorder.

Snappily titled, Luke Haines Is Alive And Well And Living In Buenos Aires (Heavy, Frenz – The Solo Anthology 2001-2017) this collection has the perhaps unenviable task of keeping up with the prolificacy of Haines over the last 16 years, while ensuring it doesn’t miss diversions into music written for films and side-projects.

Luke Haines is Alive… effectively cherry-picks highlights from 12 albums. Some were bona fide solo albums (such as The Oliver Twist Manifesto (2001), 2006’s Off My Rocker At The High School Bop, and 21st Century Man (2009)) while others are soundtracks (Christy Malry’s Own Double Entry (2001)) or collaborations (The North Sea Scrolls (2012)).

It’s debatable whether anyone needs (or wants) this much Haines in one sitting, but this set is a welcome reminder of some great and perhaps forgotten music and some of these albums are quite hard to find on CD these days (Off My Rocker… in particular).

As well as all the album tracks, it digs up the odd rarity (for example Fag Break from 21st Century Man limited bonus disc Aching Mutha). It also includes the three ‘new’ tracks (The Mitford Sisters, Bugger Bognor and Satan Wants Me) from the 2003 Das Capital album, which was primarily concerned with reinterpreting Auteurs tracks . Those songs also appeared on SDE’s favourite Haines compilation, 2005’s triple CD Luke Haines Is Dead (which this new set clearly references in its title). The good news is, there is very little overlap, since that Virgin-issued release focussed on The Auteurs and excellent terrorist side-project (an odd phrase) Baader Meinhof. Haines’ solo career was only in its infancy at that point.

CD four is the ‘rarities’ disc and is pithily titled The Boners Disc: Hard On For Haines. It features 21 tracks, with 13 of them previously unreleased. Luke Haines himself has contributed sleeve notes.

Presumably, licensing issues and label politics prevents a proper career-spanning Haines retrospective, one which would include The Auteurs, Baader Meinhof, Black Box Recorder and the solo material here, so unless that ever gets resolved, these will be tackled largely separately. The good news is that Haines has promised a Black Box Recorder box set before the end of this year.

Luke Haines Is Alive And Well And Living In Buenos Aires (Heavy, Frenz – The Solo Anthology 2001-2017) is out on 29 September 2017. You can order signed copies from Cherry Red’s website (UK shipping is £4).

Luke Haines

Is Alive And Well & Living In Buenos Airies: Heavy Frienz The Solo Anthology 2001-2017

FNAC fr 6LP coloured vinyl box 40.41
HMV uk 6LP coloured vinyl box 24.99

CD 1
1. DISCOMANIA
2. HOW TO HATE THE WORKING CLASSES
3. ENGLAND SCOTLAND AND WALES
4. THE OLIVER TWIST MANIFESTO
5. NEVER WORK
6. DEATH OF SARAH LUCAS
7. THE MITFORD SISTERS – Luke Haines & The Auteurs
8. SATAN WANTS ME – Luke Haines & The Auteurs
9. BUGGER BOGNOR – Luke Haines & The Auteurs
10. OFF MY ROCKER AT THE ART SCHOOL BOP (Album Version)
11. LEEDS UNITED
12. COUNTRY LIFE
13. BOVVER BOYS
14. QUEEN ELIZABETH I
15. ALL THE ENGLISH DEVILS
16. THE WALTON HOP
17. BAD REPUTATION (THE GLITTER BAND)
18. ENGLISH SOUTHERN MAN
19. 21ST CENTURY MAN

CD 2
1. SUBURBAN MOURNING
2. KLAUS KINSKI
3. PETER HAMMILL
4. RUSSIAN FUTURISTS BLACK OUT THE SUN
5. FAG BREAK
6. INSIDE THE RESTLESS MIND OF ROLLERBALL ROCCO
7. GORGEOUS GEORGE
8. SATURDAY AFTERNOON
9. BIG DADDY GOT A CASIO V L TONE
10. HAYSTACKS♠IN HEAVEN
11. I’M NOT THE MAN YOU THINK I AM KAREN, I’M THE ACTOR TONY ALLEN – North Sea Scrolls
12. THE MORRIS MAN COMETH – North Sea Scrolls
13. ENOCH POWELL – SPACE POET – North Sea Scrolls
14. ROCK ‘N’ ROLL ANIMALS
15. MAGIC INTERLUDE 1
16. GENE VINCENT (ROCK N ROLL MUMS AND ROCK N ROLL DADS)
17. A BADGER CALLED NICK LOWE

5. DOLLS FOREVER
6. CERNE ABBAS MAN
7. CARAVAN MAN
8. ADVENTURES IN DEMENTIA
9. BRITISH NUCLEAR BUNKERS
10. TEST CARD FOREVER
11. PUSSY WILLOW (KIDS♠SONG)
12. COLD FIELD MORNING UNDER BLISS

1. BLACK SUN (Early Band Demo) *
2. PROPERTY *
3. 1963 *
4. DANDIFICATION *
5. BOMBER HARRIS *
6. BUILDING FOR BRITAIN IN THE ’70S *
7. OFF MY ROCKER AT THE ART SCHOOL BOP (Richard X Single Mix)
8. I AM THE BEST ARTIST/ SKINNY WHITE GIRLS
9. SUBURBAN MOURNING * (BBC Session)
10. KLAUS KINSKI * (BBC Session)
11. 21ST CENTURY MAN * (BBC Session)
12. ME AND THE BIRDS
13. THIS IS OUTSIDER MUSIC *
14. NATURAL MYSTIC FURRY FREAKS
15. JOHN BARLEYCORN MUST DIE
16. JEFF STARSHIP SUPERHERO
17. ELECTRONIC TONE POEM
18. HACK GREEN
19. CHRIS FROM THE STARS*
20. 68P IN MY POCKET*
21. RAVE *

* Previously Unissued

23 responses to Luke Haines is Alive and Well and Living in Buenos Aires / 4CD Solo Anthology

1. RJS says:

“collaborations (The Dead Sea Scrolls (2012))”

North! Looking forward to this. I don’t buy much physical music these days but looking forward to this.

2. Heraldo says:

A limited number of signed copies of this were available on Cherry Red site still last night. You might still be lucky enough to get one if you hurry…

3. The Subeditor says:

Off My Rocker At The ART School Bop
    The NORTH Sea Scrolls
    ACHTUNG Mother

4. Gavin says:

Some of the best song titles in the business

5. JohnR says:

I ordered the signed one last night. It feels slightly wrong, though, a curmudgeon like Haines doing autographs! I’ve loved his stuff – all of its incarnations – since Showgirl. I’ve got all the releases so I’m only after that Boners disc. A DVD would have been nice – I’d like to see more of the Back With the Killer Again video.

6. Kevin S says:

For JohnR

He was the essence of geniality when I met him after his gig at The Cluny in Newcastle this year. He chatted for quite a while and signed a number of things quite happily.
    Makes me feel it’s all an act! (insert shocked and winking emoji here).

7. GentleRabbit says:

Huge fan of How I Learned To Love The Bootboys, a masterpiece. Largely unfamiliar with his other works, though – can’t really afford it right now but couldn’t resist snapping up one of the last signed Cherry Red copies (thank you, Heraldo!). Lovely.

8. Gary says:

Pretty decent trawl through the Haines solo years. The Leeds United B-sides are a nice thing to have considering how scarce that single is. I see he’s also included a few tracks from his Outsider Music project too, not too sure how I feel about that since I shelled out so much for a copy in the first place.

But the Outsider project was all unique recordings, wasn’t it? So these won’t be ‘your’ versions! :)

• Gary says:

True, it’s just I always thought that those songs would remain exclusive too. But a few have slipped out here and there. I’ll pick this set up, but I’m in no rush to do so at the moment.

9. alan hansen says:

what ever happened to Jacques Brel?

10. Urs says:

Definitely will get this! Always liked Luke Haines and his work (solo and other) but found it somewhat hard to follow his output in recent years. Some of his solo releases were also a bit patchy in quality, imho. So I’m curious to get a bit up to date on he’s been doing in the past 10 years or so … :-)

• Urs says:

PS: Really looking forward to that Black Box Recorder box set! (Even though I kind of have most of their releases already.)

Yes. I slightly lost track post-Rock n Roll Animals. Arguably too many releases, too quickly. That said, there is part of me that likes the fact that he does the opposite of what most rock/pop acts do!

11. Mark says:

Ha! Gutted. Wanted a signed one. Went out for coffee earlier thinking I’d order it when I got back. Gone! Lesson learned :-)

12. Jorje Chica says:

I preordered the signed copy. Though honestly, his signature is crap, almost as bad as mine!

Paul, I doubt licensing issues kept the Virgin/Hut material out of this new collection. Haines reissued deluxe editions of the 4 Auteurs albums and the Baader Meinhof record a few years ago on 3Loop Music, so clearly he has no problems getting the rights to his old stuff. I have a feeling he intended this to be an exclusively post-Virgin/Hut affair, considering Luke Haines is Dead is the definitive collection of his Virgin years. Now bring on the Black Box Recorder box set!!

13. Peter Muscutt says:

Does anyone know if the Black Box Recorder set will be a compilation of tracks or will it contain all the albums and possibly some unreleased/bonus stuff? Had a major Sarah Nixey crush back in the day!!! I think it was her stern vocals on ‘The School Song’ – whatever you say, headmistress!!

14. Michael G says:

Have to say Cherry Red Records seem to be getting it right, their box sets are good value for money,and the dreaded vinyl is nowhere to be seen.
    Any chance of the Mungo Jerry or the Residents Box Sets being included on here,again signed copies are available via cherry red.

15. Metal Mickey says:

@ Heraldo – thanks for the Residents tip – ordered!

16. Jorje Chica says:

I wish to amend my earlier comments, tail between legs, which clearly were written during a “senior moment” (a little early for me, since I’m only about to turn 45!). The first 9 tracks are from Haines’ Virgin years, so this is certainly not “an exclusively post-Virgin affair” as I’d written. Nonetheless, I’m happy this collection focuses mostly on the post-Virgin years.

After further study of the track listing, I have four thoughts about omissions:
    (1) Instead of including both the album and single versions of Off My Rocker, I would have included one or the other plus the excellent acoustic version that was exclusively available on Itunes.
    (2) The collection includes three tracks from the North Sea Scrolls and two from the best-forgotten Adventures in Dementia EP, but only one track from the excellent Achtung Mother?! I would have included Ex-Teds, Greenwich Observatory, and perhaps Playground Dread from AM.
    (3) I would like to have to seen more radio session tracks. I have recordings I made from BBC streaming of three sessions he did around the time of Off My Rocker, and I’m sure there are many more he did since then that could have been included.
    (4) Last, if possible I would have included the excellent cover of The Go-Betweens’ You Won’t Find It Again, from the truly rare and hard to find Grant McLennan tribute CD Love Goes On.

That said, I am excited for this collection!

Like Peter, I too had (have? does one ever get over her?) a major crush on Sarah Nixey. I was lucky enough to see Black Box Recorder live once, in Hollywood, on their final tour. I’m very excited for the BBR collection, whenever it comes out (it was originally promised for summer, now it is slated for end of the year).