Luke Haines returns with a brand new album, ‘I Sometimes Dream Of Glue’

Luke Haines returns with a new album I Sometimes Dream Of Glue, in May.

Haines actually mentioned the album in his entertaining SDE interview last year, although at that time he called it I Dream Of Airfix Glue.

The PR blurb (clearly written by Haines) describes the record as “the next solo concept album by Luke Haines (The Auteurs, Baader Meinhof and Black Box Recorder)” and the concept is typically surreal. The scenario is that in the late 1940s “British Special Services” had a cargo of 10 tonnes of experimental solvent liquid ready to dump on Germany to “finish the job of carving up Europe for good”. But the mission goes wrong and the trucks carrying the toxic liquid come off the road with disastrous consequences… creating a village called ‘Glue Town’. I’ll let Haines finish the story…

“There is little or no documentation of Glue Town. You will not find any information about it on the 21st Century internet. Gluetown is a rural settlement born out of mutation. Of the estimated 500 or so dwellers, no one is thought to be over 2 ? inches tall. The citizens of Glue Town exist on a diet of solvent abuse and perpetual horniness. The residents only leave to carry out daring night-time ‘glue raids’ on Shepherds Bush newsagent shops. On a tiny screen in the town centre, an old Betamax cassette of ‘Michael Bentine’s Pottytime’ plays on a loop all day and all night…”

I Sometimes Dream Of Glue is a 14-track album and tracks include Angry Man On A Small Train, The Subbuteo Lads and Airfix Cures The Ego.

It’s being released on CD and vinyl on 11 May 2018, with the latter limited to a tiny amount of just 300 copies. Cherry Red’s website has some signed editions available.

No widget yet, but you can order the vinyl LP from Amazon here.

LUKE HAINES

6. AIRFIX CURES THE EGO
7. AT IT WITH THE TREE SURGEONâ™S WIFE
8. THE GARDEN GATE
9. EVERYBODYâ™S COMING TOGETHER FOR THE SUMMER
10. OH MICHAEL
11. ONLY THE STONES WILL KNOW
12. EVERYBODYâ™S COMING TOGETHER (PART 2)
13. FAT BIRD FROM THE WOODCRAFT FOLK
14. WE COULD DO IT

21 responses to Luke Haines returns with a brand new album, ‘I Sometimes Dream Of Glue’

1. Chris Squires says:

Mine is black and signed by someone. Could be Luke, could be Stephen Hawking (too soon?) haven’t a clue. Whomever it is, is certainly from the Belinda Carlisle school of calligraphy.
    It’s only 150 copies ffs. Put some effort in man.

Charlie Harper has 2000 of his to sign and he’s 74 in 9 days time!

2. tonysp says:

I just recieved my signed LP, to be honest I don’t recall ever having an option to get clear vinyl.

Also, that is some signature. Haha.

3. Pete Muscutt says:

Did anyone else get an email stating that Cherry Red are now mysteriously unable to fulfil the order of the signed, clear vinyls? Apparently due to an “administrative error” – sounds like they allowed too many people to order and are now only realising when they come to ship them out. Which is odd seeing as I got my preorder in with them about six minutes after the album announcement…not impressed with their offer to send me a signed CD instead!

Anyone else experience this? With the Black Box Recorder box-set delays, its like anything Haines touches is cursed by crap pre-ordering processes right now!!!

4. elliott buckingham says:

id be impressed if the vinyl came with removable fuzzy felt art

5. Harry Irene says:

Why isn’t the ‘is alive and well’ box set not available on download?

6. Jorje Chica says:

I preordered signed copies of the CD and LP. I almost never play the CDs, but if it helps put some money in Haines’ pocket and keep him alive as an active recording artist, I’m happy to contribute. I may be one of only a handful of fans in Southern California (and perhaps the only one in the Inland Empire) who regularly buys Haines’ stuff, so when Cherry Red Records inevitably get my order, they must think, “Another order from that eccentric nut on the West Coast.” If only Cherry Red would put up a few pounds to fly Haines and his acoustic guitar out here for some live dates.

I also preordered the BBR box set what seems like ages ago. Considering the set has so little that is actually “new” to it, and it is on CD for Christ’s sake, the release date should have been closer to Christmas 2017. I can understand it takes longer to get a vinyl box set out because big labels hog up space at pressing plants blah blah blah, but there should be no queue anymore at the plants that make CDs, a dying format, apparently. And still no preorder for a vinyl version of the box? Haines mentioned in the SDE interview the box set would have a vinyl issue with perhaps exclusive live stuff, but the fact the CD box has an 8 June release date and the One Little Indian site still says nothing about vinyl makes me wonder if Haines and the label are not on the same page…

7. Auteur55 says:

Pre-ordered the CD. I own everything Luke Haines has touched. You have to wonder if the label is only able to sell 300 vinyl copies.

I’ve had money tied up in that BBR box set since last summer.

• Pete Muscutt says:

Makes you wonder if Cherry Red see Luke coming in and go: “Ohhh….Mr. Haines is back. Has he recorded another album already???!?” The man is certainly prolific! Agree with Auteur55 though, that BBR set needs to come out NOW! (Can’t see what the delay is, personally…)

8. guyser says:

Only a genius would choose to release his last 5 albums about things nobody can write about (wrestling, nuclear bunkers, new York in 1970’s badgers etc) – if they were about love etc he would be a household name, heaven forbid that

• Chris Squires says:

And there you have Kate Bush! A bare list of the subject matter alone of the first five albums would be quite the conversation starter. Throw into the mix that she was only 13 to 25 when she wrote all of them, plus being a woman in the 70s 80s ain’t what it is now…. Genius? I haven’t heard any Luke Haines, but will give it a go on spotify to see for meself.

9. Marty says:

I had never heard of this guy until he was mentioned on here last year. Sounds like a concept album! I am always up for something with imagination so I will try this. Thanks Paul.

10. Pete Muscutt says:

As genius as we think Luke is, I imagine he’d more than likely think: “oh do shut up, you sycophant; I didn’t release this album for your benefit” or something equally dry and cutting if we mentioned such a thing to him!! Love you, Luke! :-p

11. Gary says:

I’m always so grateful for Haines just being Haines. His stuff rarely disappoints and often amuses me.

12. toni says:

The cover is pretty similar to the new Eels new album, What a casuality!!

13. Pete Muscutt says:

Great news this is coming out. Signed vinyl duly ordered, especially after I missed out on his signed ‘Heavy Frenz…’ set. 300 copies worldwide? Yes please! Anybody know if the LPs are numbered?

14. RJS says:

I pre-ordered this a couple of days ago. Haines rarely disappoints.

15. Kevin S says:

Excellent.
    Thanks for the notifcation Paul.
    Signed vinyl ordered.

Looking forward to the Black Box Recorder Box Set.

16. Brian says: