The Magpie Salute / High Water 1

The Magpie Salute / High Water I clear vinyl

Rich Robinson’s new band • Debut studio album • Limited clear 2LP vinyl

The Magpie Salute is an American rock band formed a couple of years ago by former Black Crowes guitarist Rich Robinson and they will release their debut studio album High Water 1 in August.

The band features other former members of the Black Crowes, namely Marc Ford and Sven Pipien. Other players include Matt Slocum, Joe Magistro, Adrien Reju and Katrine Ottosen.

The new 12-track album was recorded in Dark Horse Studios in Nashville and you can preview the first single Send Me An Omen, below.

A special double transparent vinyl edition is available to pre-order (for a good price) or you can opt for good old fashioned black. Both come with download codes. The humble CD is the other physical option.

High Water 1 will be released on 10 August 2018.

The Magpie Salute

Side 4

• 1. You Found Me
  •  2. Can You See
  •  3. Open Up

16 responses to The Magpie Salute / High Water 1

1. Paul Wren says:

Yes, I pre-ordered the marbled green version some time ago. Interesting to see some negative comments already, but to me this sounds like good early/mid 1970’s classic rock.

2. Gary Shaw says:

I’m going to see them on Friday at Oslo in Hackney. I’m even tempted to go Rough Trade East earlier that even for an in-store gig and signing.
    I loved early Black Crowes, but then they lost it for a while, you could almost smell the drugs on the albums! I remember seeing them at the Shepherd’s Bush Empire about 10 years ago, when they did a three hour set of extended jams. Even their cover of Hard To Handle was 10 minutes long. A dreadful gig. However, last time I saw them was 2013 at the Olympic Park in London, supporting Springsteen, where they did a greatest hits set and the only extended track was Wiser Time, which was fine.
    A great band, but those days are now gone. Chris does his Allman Brother(hood) thing and Rich, Marc and Sven are continuing where the Crowes left off. The video above is a good track. I look forward to hearing the rest of their material.

3. Led zep says:

It’s not their début album…
    And the very first one is an excellent one….

4. Richard says:

I am a huge Black Crowes fan …. seen them over 50 times live, this new band sounds a bit like a B- side of a B.C. single i don’t like to voice of this singer … sorry a no go for me

5. Friso Pas says:

Chris lost it a long time ago, in my opinion. Don’t care for the psychedelic direction he went musically. Rich is continuing the musical legacy of the Crowes. That is the music I always liked and will like. The Magpie Salute is an amazing live band. Last year I went to London especially to see them 3 nights in a row in the Under The Bridge club and it was very special. A few of the members even came out after the gig to talk.
    BTW, on their label’s website you can also pre-order a green marbled vinyl edition, which I think is even more beautiful than the clear vinyl.

• Nick Love says:

I loved Chris’s first two solo albums during the early Aught’s hiatus but haven’t really cared for the Brotherhood. Rich’s solo material has been much more rewarding. My favorite former Crowe though is Marc Ford, his solo career has been an underrated gem.

• Vincent Palazzo III says:

I like all of Chris’s music but I really liked his 2 albums back about 10 years ago with his band New Earth Mud.
        But Rich is still on the straight up rock/blues train; the different original material mix with covers of the classics and obscure greats is amazing.

6. ANDREW r says:

The sum of the Black Crowes is greater than the two halves i am afraid!

• SimonP says:

Agreed and if I have to choose a side I’m gonna stand over there with Chris. I’ve finally listened to this track and couldn’t even remember the tune when it finished. This would’ve been discarded as not good enough for a B side in the Black Crowes days.

7. mitchell feldstein says:

i am guessing this brother is the one who had them crush oh sweet nuthin’ buy the velvet underground

8. Heraldo says:

As a staunch follower of a North East football team who play in red and white stripes the only salute I would give a Magpie is a two-fingered one
    :-D

9. Iain says:

There’s also a marble green version, limited to 500 copies, available from the record label direct.

Almost twice the cost of the Amazon offers …

10. Nick Love says:

Can’t wait! Rich and Marc’s solo works have been a breath of fresh air compared to brother Chris’s tired Prog/Jam Band meandering tunes. Rich’s cover of Fleetwood Mac’s Station Man is one of my all time favorite covers.

• SimonP says:

The CRB albums are a little patchy in places, but the last one was a much improved and tighter affair with hardly any of the tracks over 5 minutes.