Manic Street Preachers / This Is My Truth Tell Me Yours: Collectors’ Edition

20 Year Collectors’ Edition • 3CD deluxe • 2LP vinyl

As previously reported, the Manic Street Preachers will reissue their 1998 album This Is My Truth Tell Me Yours, with anniversary CD and vinyl sets now confirmed for December.

The band’s fifth album reached number one and features the chart-topping single If You Tolerate This Then Your Children Will Be Next.

Dubbed the ’20 Year Collectors’ Edition’ the reissue is available as a three-CD set which includes the ‘original album remastered’ (except it’s not quite the original album) and unheard demos, live rehearsal recordings and B-sides and remixes. The square format of this triple-CD set is annoyingly inconsistent with last year’s anniversary Send Away The Tigers and the established book format deluxe editions for new Manics’ albums.

A 2LP vinyl edition is also available. This is album-only, across four sides of vinyl and comes with download codes. The first pressing includes a poster.

The change to the album is that ‘Nobody Loved You’ has now been removed and demoted to ‘bonus track’ status, while B-side ‘Prologue To History’ takes its place on the album proper.

This Is My Truth Tell Me Yours is released on 7 December 2018.

Manic Street Preachers

This Is My Truth Tell My Yours - 3CD deluxe

HMV uk 6LP coloured vinyl box 34.99

Manic Street Preachers

This Is My Truth Tell My Yours - 2LP vinyl

HMV uk 6LP coloured vinyl box 20.99

3CD deluxe bookset

CD1: Remastered Album

1. The Everlasting (Remastered)
  2. If You Tolerate This Your Children Will Be Next (Remastered)
  3. You Stole the Sun from My Heart (Remastered)
  4. Ready for Drowning (Remastered)
  5. Tsunami (Remastered)
  6. My Little Empire (Remastered)
  7. I’m Not Working (Remastered)
  8. You’re Tender and You’re Tired (Remastered)
  9. Born a Girl (Remastered)
  10. Be Natural (Remastered)
  11. Black Dog On My Shoulder (Remastered)
  12. Prologue To History (Remastered)
  13. S.Y.M.M. (Remastered)

CD2: Remastered Demos & Live Rehearsals

1. The Everlasting (Remastered)
  2. If You Tolerate This Your Children Will Be Next (Dave Bascombe Mix Remastered)
  3. You Stole the Sun from My Heart (Remastered)
  4. Ready for Drowning (Remastered)
  5. Tsunami (Remastered)
  6. My Little Empire (Remastered)
  7. I’m Not Working (Remastered)
  8. You’re Tender and You’re Tired (Remastered)
  9. Born A Girl (Remastered)
  10. Be Natural (Remastered)
  11. Black Dog On My Shoulder (Remastered)
  12. Prologue To History (Remastered)
  13. S.Y.M.M. (Remastered)
  14. Nobody Loved You (Remastered B Side)
  15. Nobody Loved You (Remastered)

CD3: Remastered Remixes and B-Sides

1. If You Tolerate This Your Children Will Be Next (Massive Attack Remix) (Remastered)
  2. If You Tolerate This Your Children Will Be Next (David Holmes Remix) (Remastered)
  3. The Everlasting (Deadly Avenger’s Psalm 315) (Remastered)
  4. The Everlasting (Stealth Sonic Orchestra Remix) (Remastered)
  5. You Stole the Sun from My Heart (David Holmes Remix) (Remastered)
  6. You Stole the Sun from My Heart (Mogwai Remix) (Remastered)
  7. Tsunami (Cornelius Remix) (Remastered)
  8. Tsunami (Stereolab Remix) (Remastered)
  9. Montana/ Autumn/78 (Remastered)
  10. Black Holes For The Young (Remastered)
  11. Valley Boy (Remastered)
  12. Socialist Serenade (Remastered)
  13. Buildings For Dead People (Remastered)

2LP deluxe vinyl

Side A.

1. The Everlasting (Remastered)
  2. If You Tolerate This Your Children Will Be Next (Remastered)
  3. You Stole the Sun from My Heart (Remastered)

Side B.

1. Ready for Drowning (Remastered)
  2. Tsunami (Remastered)
  3. My Little Empire (Remastered)

Side C.

1. I’m Not Working (Remastered)
  2. You’re Tender and You’re Tired (Remastered)
  3. Born a Girl (Remastered)
  4. Be Natural (Remastered)

Side D.

1. Black Dog On My Shoulder (Remastered)
  2. Prologue To History (Remastered)
  3. S.Y.M.M. (Remastered)

32 responses to Manic Street Preachers / This Is My Truth Tell Me Yours: Collectors’ Edition

1. Jonathan Muirhead says:

Does anyone know when this will be available on Itunes?

2. Ross says:

I kind of get why they removed Underdogs – don’t think the band or the majority of the fanbase were happy with it, and it’s scrappily mixed (that cut word from a removed chorus coming to mind), but taking out one of the fan favourite tracks from the album seems utterly daft to me.

Some genuinely excellent remixes on this set, and I’m not often a fan of them. But having the entire Japanese mini LP collection + Forever Delayed and Lipstick Traces, I’m generally satisfied with my pre-2009 Manics collection at the moment. Would love Japan to do some LP replicas of the more recent albums, as there are a ton of b-sides to collect.

We could get a Know Your Enemy one in three years, I think they’ve made their peace with that album. Lifeblood and GATS though… I think Sony would have to really push them to get down to celebrating either of those albums (which is a shame as I love Lifeblood).

3. Dave Butterfield says:

Fed up of these reissues stuffed with remixes. Collectors want demo sessions live.not 17 mixes of the same song. For a band who rallied against such things this is a disappointment

• kook says:

I’m not sure there’s much consensus on that. Look at the hullabaloo over McCartney’s decision to put loads of demos in the ‘Flowers in the Dirt’ reissue last year, instead of the single remixes (even though these were made available as downloads, and I’d always thought they were pretty ropey anyway).

In fact there are only two remixes of each of the four singles here, which I wouldn’t call excessive, and they are pretty decent on the whole. I do think it would have been good to see a live recording from the ’98 tour as well – especially having seen them at Wembley Arena that year – but I don’t know if one even exists?

• Tim-Meh says:

Since when? They’ve been consistently remixing tracks since Generation Terrorists.

4. Simon says:

I’m hoping that Gold Against The Soul is next to be reissued and expanded. I know that it’s not the band’s favourite album, but if it was reissued then that that would be the first five albums re-issued if you don’t count the 2009 Japanese re-issues.

Re the price increase, it does seem a bit of a jump in the space of 18 months, when you compare it with the Send Away the Tigers 10 Year reissue from last year, for what was also a 3 Disc version albeit 2CD’s + DVD.

I wish they would stop doing a Morrissey and revising the tracklists of the albums. That is 2 reissues that they have done it for. Makes me wonder if they are going to continue doing it on future reissues.

Also looks like there is a bit of space on CD1, could have maybe added in a few live tracks from that era.

• kook says:

Sorry but I hate it when extra tracks get bunged on the main disc!

I don’t suppose anyone knows the dimensions? It looks too big to be 7″ (just trying to work out where the hell I’m going to put it…)

5. Daniel says:

Delighted that ‘Prologue to History’ has been rightfully placed on the album proper.
    Pissed that ‘Nobody Loved You’ has been taken off (moved), especially as it means the vinyl edition won’t have the track at all.

6. Simon, Perth WA says:

I’m not imagining this? The cover artwork is different, right? (albeit from the same shoot…)

7. Neil says:

According to the track listing on Amazon the original of Nobody Loved You isn’t on this at all it’s a demo on the second disc.Strange decision indeed to omit a track people have been used to being there for the last 20 years.

8. Larry Davis says:

Preordered…at least they didn’t get rid of NBLY altogether, just moved it to end of disc 2, unlike what they did to “Underdogs” on SATT…good to have this all in 1 place, and I can now sell my Japanese 2009 “4 Real” 2CD, and it’s OK this is not the same size as the other book deluxes they put out that I have…Tigers/Postcards/Resistance/National Treasures/Journal (Japanese 4 Real)…still need the Japanese “Rewind The Film” & “Futurology” deluxe booksets…I have THB20 and still need EMG & Terrorists big boxes…as for the others, “Gold” I have as a Japanese 4 Real 2009 2CD and that we know they hate and won’t reissue, and what’s left then??…”Know Your Enemy” & “Lifeblood”?? Prob a new album before deluxes of those come out…I have the J4Rs and once they are redone, will be sold…

But this era of “Truth” is important for me because that was the first time I saw them live in NYC at the fairly small Bowery Ballroom, I met the band afterwards and James bought me a beer…I was struck by how much shorter he was than I am, but he was really cool…so were Nicky & Sean…who looked a LOT like a friend of mine I had at the time named Victor…my program was signed by them and so was my copy of their book…but their signatures are now starting to wear off on the shiny cover…

Preordered…with VAT removed, 28 pounds…not bad…bring it on, and believe it or not, MTV Classic shows their spooky clip of “Children” with the missing eyes and blood…there is a message in there, like watch out or we will all be owned by the government and have no power to resist…or something…as for a missing DVD, the vidclips are on the DVD with “National Treasures”…perhaps a documentary and live footage?? I know Virgin US (their US label at the time as Sony US would not release this album at the time) put out a promo live concert VHS tape…and for the life of me, I can’t find it…that coulda been on a DVD…but whatever…Manics rock.

9. Neil says:

The price of this is an utter joke and i’m just glad i don’t need to buy this as i have all the singles from that album. I wonder if anybody knows why the keep ignoring Gold Against The Soul ?

• Stupidactingsmart says:

They seemingly hate GATS, which the Holy Bible was famously a reaction to. JDB referred to Sleepflower as ‘soft rock pish’ or something one of the recenter times I saw them in Scotland, when someone shouted for it. Think that was Edinburgh Corn Exchange (cannae rightly mind).

However, much as I love it myself, there are some minor tracks that I can imagine them not leaving alone, if they’ve established that they can fiddle with the tracklistings on reissues, which makes me okay without a new edition. I bet they’d delete Symphony of Tourette, for example.

And there was a time when they were adament that Patrick Bateman should be an A-side, but now they’re embarrassed by it, so I wonder if even the b-sides of the era have them not wanting to revisit that album. They rarely favour completism anyway, from the first compilation, through to the b-sides and singles sets, they’ve always missed stuff off.

10. Martin says:

Not an urgent pick up for me and will look for a deal on both the CD and the vinyl

11. Robert Laversuch says:

After now seven book formats would have been cool to continue but hey. So many different formats overag the years, so fair enough. Yet another release to look forward to. Need a massive increase in pay to finance all of this, though!?

12. Kevin Galliford says:

I ordered the autographed one the other day. Good to have everything in one place, especially the remixes but agree about the format & missing DVD. A good opportunity missed there. Personally for me, it’s not their greatest album but too good not to buy this reissue.

13. Jan says:

Obviously three discs, but it would have been nice to keep the long book format, perhaps that’s just my OCD. :)

14. JuzzyB says:

Decent enought tracklist, would like it for the collection but – size matters! The book editions of the Manics albums look good next to each other. I am sure they could have made it the same size if they had wanted to, they should have done the whole lot like that. This is another “Benefit”!

15. Norrie MacLean says:

Looking forward to this release and managed to get 2 tickets for Shepherds Bush – long way from Glasgow but will make a weekend of it.

16. Darren Leach says:

Nobody Loves You is one of the better of the album tracks. Get rid of My Little Empire, bland as! And I agree, where’s the DVD?

• Caroline says:

This is the trouble with “TIMTTMY” – most fans agree the album is too long and a bit patchy but no-one really agrees on what should be removed…bit like the fantasy single-albums Beatles fans hatch for “The Beatles”. (I’d remove Be Natural, You’re Tender And You’re Tired and SYMM before adding Prologue To History and shuffling the running order myself…)

• David M says:

SYMM could possibly be their worst track. The sentiment is solid, but the track is just awful. If ever there was a candidate for a track to be removed, it would be this one.

17. Rob Deighton says:

I’ve added this to my Xmas list – thank god they have decided to press the album across 2LPs. While the MOV version is great, it’s a long album to have on just one disc.

18. Pim says:

At least they included the replaced track on the bonus-discs – unlike SATT last year where only a demo of Underdogs was included.

• Caroline says:

If they have it’s a last minute change because if you zero-in on the artwork, it only shows NLY once – Nicky Wire originally said it had been replaced by a demo they considered superior.

I’m passing on this – the first time I’ve done so (although I saw no need to upgrade by 10 year THB and EMG to the 20 year editions). No DVD, lots of unnecessary remixes, pretty much nothing we don’t already know. Feels like a bit of a wasted opportunity.

19. robert peel says:

Cannot wait for this release in was at virgin megastore 20 years ago on release day such happy memories

Managed to get tickets for 5 shows on this tour this morning cannot wait

My only gripe with this release is the size of the box set etc also £31 is steep I feel although pre-order the signed edition

20. stupidactingsmart says:

“Usual moaner” here. I don’t see anything to properly tempt me on this release, much as I’m interested in hearing the demos. I played Prologue to History and Montana/Autumn ‘78 to death when they came out (both are better than ‘Tolerate, in my eyes) but removing any track, especially NBLY, which is great, is just dumb.

I imagine I might end up with this as a Christmas gift, but if not I think I can,live without it.

21. Alan B says:

Managed to get one of the signed CD editions before they disappeared from the website (only available for a few hours). £30 for a triple CD is pretty expensive given their previous 2 CD handbook releases have been around the £16 to £18 mark. Double LP good value although I have an original LP bought on its original release date 20 years ago which was autographed at an instore signing at the old Virgin store in Cardiff.

22. Mark Reed says:

This doesn’t make sense in the body of their reissues : the packaging for it is inconsistent, and both EMG10 and THB10 contained DVD’s which… this one… doesn’t?

I do wish artists would stop mucking about with tracklistings as well.

23. Francis says:

This is a definite purchase for me and a great update from the original 1 CD! I expect there will be the usual moaners with regard its content or packaging but I am happy with it as it is and if a better edition comes along in 10 years from now or so, then maybe I will update again.