Mariah Carey/ Butterfly vinyl pic disc

Sony’s Legacy Recordings will celebrate the 20th anniversary of Mariah Carey‘s 1997 album Butterfly with a ‘collector’s edition’ 12-inch vinyl picture disc.

Carey describes her sixth studio album as “a defining moment in my career and in my life” and this picture disc, naturally, features the original cover photo and (somewhere) a “special note from Mariah to her fans”.

The album featured five singles and includes a cover of Prince‘s The Beautiful Ones (a duet with with Dru Hill).

The Butterfly vinyl picture disc is released on 20 October 2017. Mariah has told her fans to “stay tuned for more surprises”.

Mariah Carey

Butterfly [VINYL]

Side 1
1. Honey
2. Butterfly
3. My All
4. The Roof
5. Fourth of July
6. Breakdown – Mariah Carey feat. Krayzie Bone & Wish Bone

Side 2
1. Babydoll
2. Close My Eyes
3. Whenever You Call
4. Fly Away (Butterfly Reprise)
5. The Beautiful Ones (Featuring Dru Hill) – Mariah Carey feat. Dru Hill
6. Outside

18 responses to Mariah Carey/ Butterfly vinyl pic disc

1. Craig Hedges says:

It would be better if the picture was zoomed out and the centre hole could’ve landed in her belly button, by the looks of the pic the centre hole will land between her t*ts

2. Dan says:

Thanks, cancelled my USA preorder and went for the cheaper French one. Shame it’s on picture disc though!

3. CJ says:

Jeez….20 Years. I feel so freaking old.

4. Lemmin says:

I honestly don’t understand this. Is her fan base clamoring for this? As a group are the purveyors of vinyl? To each his own and I think she’s really talented but this seems odd. As a collector of comics on top of music I know people who buy certain comics they don’t like or read simply because they collect 3-D covers, etc. as a medium regardless of the subject or story. Does the same occur in the picture disc collecting world?

• Nick says:

I know a few Mariah fans, including myself, that have been wanting her music to be reissued on vinyl for a while now, though a few of them aren’t happy that it’s a picture disc.

• Lemmin says:

I completely understand, I wasn’t saying she shouldn’t have her catalog on vinyl, I was just referring to picture disc.

5. Chris says:

Nice, I may get it one day. However, I would much rather a repress of the actual record, or her entire Sony catalogue for that matter. Because the prices for them today are outrageous! Maybe on gold vinyl to pick up the artwork.

BTW there were two covers for that album, are there two picture discs?

6. Mimi fan says:

Really? OK computer sure. Urban Hymns sure. Not this one from 1997. How many will be pressed? At least, do some sort of deluxe with remixes and demos.

7. Ronald says:

Only ever cared for the remixes of her songs. The ones she did with David Morales were superb.

8. Rafael Preato says:

Already buy a copy – now just wait for delivery. This album has a special mean to me: This was my Mariah first listening. when I saw the Honey video:
    I knew my life will never be the same. Mariah make mi life so much easier and happy with this album. It’s a personal album for her, but I know that is for many lambs, like me ❤️

9. Dan says:

I’d love Daydream to be repressed.

10. Ralph says:

Brought to you from an era when Mariah Carey could fit on a 12″ record without being photoshopped. :)
    She was a real Beauty back then, and she could sing. Nowadays she’s embarassing and nothing else.

11. Shane says:

Don’t care even to read all those negative messages. I’m an occasional Mariah fan but I will be putting in my preorder on amazon.fr because of the stunning image. This is probably going to be one of the best-looking picture discs of the last years, I don’t get where any negativity comes from.

12. Tom says:

It still remains my favourite Mariah album. I’m sure it will look lovely on vinyl.

I hope there is a CD reissue. I’m surprised that Mariah hasn’t reissued any of her albums on CD. I think of any artist, Mariah would probably be most open. We already know she likes remixes, so it would be a surprise if those were left off.

13. v16trola says:

I’m one of the early-years Mariah fans although Honey, My All and Butterfly rank among my all-time favourites. I’ve ordered the French version of this. I used to have posters of both sides of the album cover – stunning photos. I just wish they’d do expanded editions of her first 5 albums – there are b-sides and loads of remixes to make great collections.