Marillion / Misplaced Childhood 5-disc deluxe with Steven Wilson 5.1 mix

Remastered • 5-disc set with 5.1 on blu-ray • 4LP vinyl box

Marillion‘s classic 1985 studio album Misplaced Childhood, which features the hits Kayleigh and Lavender, will be reissued as two deluxe editions in June, including a five-disc set that will feature a lossless 5.1 remix of the album created by producer, musician and surround maestro Steven Wilson!

The 4CD+blu-ray package features a newly remastered edition of the album, a concert from Holland across two CDs (including Misplaced Childhood performed in its entirety) and a fourth disc of demos and rarities “remastered exclusively for this set”. These demos were previously issued on the 1998 two-CD deluxe of the album. The October 1985 concert was recorded Live at the Muziekcentrum Vredenburg in the city of Utrecht. It’s all previously unreleased except for Chelsea Monday which was the B-side to third single, Heart Of Lothian.

In addition, to the surround sound version of the album (hi-res 96kHz 24 bit), Kayleigh B-side Lady Nina has also been mixed to 5.1 and there’s also a new stereo remix of that track as well (this also features on CD 4 along with the original mix of Lady Nina). Note, the album itself isn’t presented as a new stereo remix since this was an instance where Wilson felt the original couldn’t be bettered.

On top of all this great content, the blu-ray delivers an hour-long documentary about the album and promo videos for the singles Lavender, Kayleigh, Lady Nina (which was the A-side to US EP Brief Encounter) and Heart Of Lothian.

The entire five-disc deluxe edition is presented in a case-bound ‘bookset’ that includes a 60-page booklet with sleeve notes written by Dave Everley.

The 4LP vinyl deluxe edition features the the newly remastered version of the original album and the entire concert from Holland. The four LPs are pressed on 180g vinyl and presented in a 12” x 12” lift-top box. This comes with a 24-page booklet which contains replica tour program and extensive writing on the history of the album.

These two physical deluxe editions of Misplaced Childhood will be issued on 21 July. Album-only versions of the newly remastered original album will follow on CD and LP later in the year.

Signed editions are these are available via the Marillion and Fish websites!

0190295866884

Marillion

Misplaced Childhood - 4CD+DVD deluxe edition

Shop Price GBP Stock

0190295865511

Marillion

Misplaced Childhood - 4LP vinyl box set

Shop Price GBP Stock

Misplaced Childhood / 5-disc box set

CD1 MISPLACED CHILDHOOD (2017 REMASTER)

1. Pseudo Silk Kimono
  2. Kayleigh
  3. Lavender
  4. Bitter Suite
  5. Heart Of Lothian
  6. Waterhole (Expresso Bongo)
  7. Lords Of The Backstage
  8. Blind Curve
  9. Childhoods End?
  10. White Feather

CD2 LIVE AT UTRECHT 1985

1. Emerald Lies (intro)
  2. Script For A Jester’s Tear
  3. Incubus
  4. Chelsea Monday
  5. The Web

CD3 LIVE AT UTRECHT 1985 (MISPLACED CHILDHOOD)

1. Pseudo Silk Kimono
  2. Kayleigh
  3. Lavender
  4. Bitter Suite
  5. Heart Of Lothian
  6. Waterhole (Expresso Bongo)
  7. Lords Of The Backstage
  8. Blind Curve
  9. Childhoods End?
  10. White Feather
  11. Fugazi
  12. Garden Party
  13. Market Square Heroes

CD4 DEMOS & B-SIDES (2017 REMASTER)

1. Lady Nina
  2. Freaks
  3. Kayleigh (Alternative Mix)
  4. Lavender Blue
  5. Heart Of Lothian
  6. Lady Nina (Steven Wilson Stereo Remix)
  7. Pseudo Silk Kimono (Demo)
  8. Kayleigh (Demo)
  9. Lavender (Demo)
  10. Bitter Suite: Brief Encounter/Lost Weekend (Demo)
  11. Lords Of The Backstage (Demo)
  12. Blue Angel (Demo)
  13. Misplaced Rendezvous (Demo)
  14. Heart Of Lothian: Wide Boy/Curtain Call (Demo)
  15. Waterhole (Expresso Bongo) (Demo)
  16. Passing Strangers: Mylo/Perimeter Walk/Threshold (Demo)
  17. Childhood’s End? (Demo)
  18. White Feather (Demo)

BR

1. Childhood Memories (Documentary 72 mins)
  2. Misplaced Childhood – Steven Wilson 5.1 Surround Mix
  3. Lady Nina – Steven Wilson 5.1 Surround Mix
  4. Lady Nina – Steven Wilson Stereo Remix
  5. Misplaced Childhood – 96/24 Stereo Remaster
  6. Kayleigh (Promo Video)
  7. Lavender (Promo Video)
  8. Heart of Lothian (Promo Video)
  9. Lady Nina (Promo Video)

Misplaced Childhood – 4LP edition

LPA MISPLACED CHILDHOOD (2017 REMASTER)

1. Pseudo Silk Kimono
  2. Kayleigh
  3. Lavender
  4. Bitter Suite
  5. Heart Of Lothian

LPB MISPLACED CHILDHOOD (2017 REMASTER)

1. Waterhole (Expresso Bongo)
  2. Lords Of The Backstage

1. Pseudo Silk Kimono
  2. Kayleigh
  3. Lavender
  4. Bitter Suite
  5. Heart Of Lothian

LPF LIVE AT UTRECHT

1. Waterhole (Expresso Bongo)
  2. Lords Of The Backstage
  3. Blind Curve
  4. Childhoods End?
  5. White Feather

LPG LIVE AT UTRECHT

1. Fugazi

LPH LIVE AT UTRECHT

1. Garden Party
  2. Market Square Heroes

82 responses to Marillion / Misplaced Childhood 5-disc deluxe with Steven Wilson 5.1 mix

1. gogandmagog says:

wonderfull!!!
    and blu-ray, perfect, let’s hope price get similar to JT sets

• Philip Cohen says:

The Marillion sets must inherently be priced higher than the Jethro Tull sets. The Tull sets have DVD’s featuring lossy compressed surround audio. The Marillion series will contain Blu-ray discs with high resolution surround and substantial quantities of video material.

• peter wolf says:

Phil and all fans looking forward to this one for an amazing price go direct to their home
        page and you can get a copy for 24 pounds and the first 1000 copies to be signed go check it out first just to make sure it does look great though

2. tom m hans says:

You can pre-order at Fish’s website as well – he will sign all the pre-orders and is prizing really great – I pay $48.00 incl shipping to the US.

3. Russell Emberson says:

There are limited signed copies available in the Marillion website, sadly not by Fish though

4. Peter says:

Price is a joke. Prince jethro tull box sets are similar packaging and way cheaper

• Paul Kent says:

What price are you referring to, Peter? The CD set is £24.99 and the vinyl set £49.99 through Marillion’s and Fish’s online stores. Sounds reasonable enough to me.

5. Gary Matfin says:

Wow, this looks interesting. This album is one of my all time favourite albums and remixed in 5.1 so it is bound to sound even better than before!

6. Chris Squires says:

The price will obviously come down shortly… I can only think of one item in the last year that didn’t shift downwards at some point. It’s what amazon does. It’ll be £25 – £30 for the CD and £50 to £60 for the Vinyl edition quite shortly I bet.

I just paid £30 and £60 for signed copies by Fish at his online store. I know that amazon will beat that(probably) at some point but, y’know it’s Fish….

7. Robert Morgenstern says:

Thanks, ordered by jpc for 32.99€. I remember i was 14 were i saw them live presenting the entire album in Frankfurt.

8. Daran says:

I miss Fish.

• elliott buckingham says:

fish is still a going concern and is currently reissuing his solo back catalogue is deluxe reissues

9. Thomas says:

I ordered my Box two days ago at jpg.

But Paul I wish you know this. Here the the picture of the Box has blue spine.
    I saw although pictures where the Box is like the old LP gatefold cover without the blue break.
    so which picture tell the truth, my favor would be without the blue break.

Universal will all old LPs given a box release, but Steve Wilson has only time for Brave to make a 5.1 mix.

My image was probably an earlier press shot. Likely to be the other one you mention, so I’ve updated.

10. Thomas says:

I mean jpc, sorry

11. Paul English says:

Great price. Just missing a few single edits which is a pity.

12. elliott buckingham says:

hope the alt version of Kayleigh is better than the bodged version on the 1998 reissue the same version on the singles box set was fine

• Neil says:

What was wrong with version on the 1998 reissue as i have had it since day one and never noticed anything wrong with it.

• elliott buckingham says:

it plays like a warped record tempo is all over the place I read because the vinyl version was like it they kept it for authenticity yet the version on the 12 disc singles box set plays absolutely fine

13. fan says:

if only Pink Floyd did this for their complete catalogue… :’-(

• Philip Cohen says:

In several instances in the Pink Floyd catalog, it is not possible to create a surround mix. The multitrack tapes for “Piper at The Gates of Dawn” & “Soundtrack From ‘More’ ” no longer exist.

• fan says:

what a shame, and very surprising :-(

• AlexKx says:

My understanding is that Surround Sound can still be done without the original master tapes, yes, or no?

No. You have to have the multi-tracks for a full, discrete 5.1 mix.

• AlexKx says:

That’s not what a little birdie told me! It said that they could “recreate” whatever and did not have to have the original source and that they could do well enough that way if need be. Or maybe that was a bat….

14. Michel D. says:

Worth mentionning that all Marillion’s EMI (now Warner) output will be released in this fashion, from Script for a Jester’s Tear up to and including Afraid of Sunlight in the next two years.

• Gisabun says:

Nowhere did they say when all 8 albums will be released and I really doubt it within 2 years.

• Phil Morris says:

Yes, this has been announced. Wilson is only doing the 5.1 mix of Brave, though. (And I don’t recall the 2 years part.)

15. DJ says:

It makes no sense for the Marillion store to only offer the first 1000 signed when Fish will sign all orders.
    Ordered from Fish because he probably needs the money more!

• Ex-Oligarch says:

I lost interest in Marillion after Fish left, but it seems to me that the band and its former singer have done well by their old fans, with regular releases of rare vault material and reissues packed to the max with additional tracks, all nicely presented and reasonably priced.

• Arie says:

Fish will sign all pre-orders. That doesn’t mean all orders I think.

16. Gavin says:

Saw them on this tour – fantastic band live and still upset that fish left !

17. Philip Cohen says:

Excepting the remix of “Lady Nina”, all of the “Disc Four” material was already released some years ago on EMI’s expanded 2-CD edition of the album. Assuming a good remastering, the new 4-CD + Blu-ray edition will render the old 2-CD set obsolete.
    Although the new deluxe edition is the start of a series, a busy schedule will only permit Steven Wilson to be involved in one more Marillion remix. The album is “Brave”, and Wilson already has the tapes in his posession. If Wilson could only be involved in two surround remixes, it made sense to select the two concept albums from the group’s years with EMI.
    A still unanswered question is why Wilson only remixed one of the two related B-sides from the “Misplaced Childhood” sessions. “Lady Nina” gets remixed, but “Freaks” doesn’t.

• Steven Roberts says:

If Steven Wilson has only the time to handle two remixes of the Marillion EMI catalogue, I would have preferred to see him tackle Clutching at Straws (surely another concept album?) rather than Brave.

Maybe Marillion wanted SW to tackle one Fish album and one H album (or maybe SW just likes Brave, who knows?)

As to the other titles….didn’t Nick Davis (5.1 mix engineer for the Genesis back catalogue) produce Seasons End? Just a thought…..

• Gisabun says:

Maybe SW likes the song a lot more…. Or like the stereo release of the album, it didn’t need fixing.

18. Kauwgompie says:

Wow, another one of those albums that I read is good but never bothered to purchase. When I listened to it on YouTube I find out this album is AMAZING. Quickly bought the album from the Marillion website and only paid $36 including shipping to NYC. What a steal. Who knows, maybe I will get the signatures too.
    Thanks Russell Emberson for the link!!

19. David says:

Does that mean the other reissues won’t have 5.1? Or just that someone else will do them?

20. Patrick says:

I’m 99% certain that the sleeve notes on the Grendel video EP from the 1983 Hammersmith concert declares that The Web hadn’t been performed live since. So I’m surprised (pleasantly so) to see it’s featured on the 1985 LIVE AT UTRECHT bonus discs.

• Arie says:

Grendel? I don’t think that’s on this release.

• Philip Cohen says:

And, as far as I know, “Grendel” was only performed live by the “Script For A Jester’s Tear” line-up, with original drummer Mick Pointer. Pointer was let go due to his technical limitations, and the group went through a brief period of instability in the drummer’s seat (Jonathan Mover, Andy Ward, John Marter) before finding Ian Mosley, who has drummed with the group ever since. Lead vocalist Fish detested Mover, Ward drank too much while on tour, and as for Marter(sometimes mis-spelled “Martyr”), he was & is an accomplished sessionman, but more more of a straightforward rock n’roller(not really a progressive musician), though he did drum on 3 studio tracks with the group.

• Mic Smith says:

Didn’t they play Grendel at Reading after Pointer was sacked? I seem to recall it being broadcast on the Friday Rock Show?

• Gisabun says:

It is featured in the live CDs because it is part of a concert. Grendel was dropped from the live shows before MC was released.

21. Tracy says:

This is a fantastic album and I love it, but I am a bit concerned about having a signed one, don’t want to ruin the lovely cover!

22. Will_2 says:

Superb.

One of the few releases I’ll be clicking “buy now” without checking the price.

23. adam shaw says:

I saw this tour at the Hammersmith Odeon , great gig , great album , cds for me please .

24. David Rubin says:

I have waited for this for sooooo long. It was an lp that stayed on my turntable for over one year. It struck me so deep I could not get away from it. It is an incredible piece of music.
    Thanks so much Paul for all you do for us. We really are indebted to you.
    I am so thrilled to get this that I will be listening to the lp again tonight and just waiting for June’s release.

Thanks you so much Paul
    All The Best
    Dave

25. Neil McL says:

Thanks guys for the heads up re Fish signing. Ordered at a great price

26. Neil says:

I wonder if they will use the proper version of Freaks with the intro intact.

27. Paul Trotman says:

In the Early Stages set the Reading show alone is wirth the price, it is absolutely brilliant – a band taking off like a rocket and acing it.

28. Steven Roberts says:

This looks like an **almost** great re-release of a fine album…

While it’s fantastic to finally have the album mixed to 5.1 – and presented in hi-res (take note, Mr Anderson!) – it’s frustrating to see the exclusion of a number of singles edits which would have made the box a complete document of the era.

Also disappointing, given the capacity of blu-ray, that the b-sides and live concert have not been included in hi-res. Maybe they are looking to spin-off the blu-ray from this set as a separate item at some point?

And as to why Freaks has not received the 5.1 treatment is a bit of a head scratcher…

• Stuart Russell says:

Apparently it’s simply down to the master tape for Freaks not being available (Misplaced?)

• Gisabun says:

Errrr. Edits? Why bother with edits? They are available in other parts of their catalogue such as the singles box set, Best Of Both Worlds, etc.
      The rarities/b’sides disc is also filled up.

29. Stuart says:

This will be the 15th variant of this album (my favourite) that I’ll buy and to be honest I can’t find fault with this release.

I’m not too worried about the lack of single edits as they are available on numerous Marillion and 80s compilations and whilst it’d be nice for Freaks to be re-touched, the 1998 remaster is fine to my ears.

The only concern I do have going forward is for the subsequent releases, particularly the 3 Steve Hogarth albums (I’m not counting Brave as the inclusion of 5.1 makes this a must buy anyway), as Marillion through their numerous live releases and Front Row Club live bootleg releases have already issued lots of shows from 1988 to 1995. You would assume that the shows issued to date were selected because they were the best quality or most interesting so my worry is that there is still sufficient unheard material of a good quality in the vaults to issue this time around.

I only hope that they don’t duplicate previous live releases, as from a demo point-of-view, I believe that all available material is already in the public domain via the 98 deluxe editions and fan club CDs.

• Gisabun says:

I’ve sure there are plenty of live concerts they can pick and choose from.
      There has been no fan club releases except the Curtain Call that is part of the fan club release and features Fish.
      And with the exception of Curtain Call, all FRCs are dated from 1989 to 2007.

30. Pingback:Saturday Deluxe / 6 May 2017 | superdeluxeedition

31. Ian Humphrey says:

Placed an order for both the vinyl and blu ray via Marillion (Racket Records), as they were the first to announce/offer. The day after placing the order, I get a Worldpay notice of a full refund being issued by the merchant; but no explanation from Racket Records. After a bit of email ping pong Racket Records apologised stating that there was a mis-pricing issue that was out of their control, but it only affected a few orders (then why not honour them!). Now ordered via Fish – can’t wait

32. Robert HPM Laversuch says:

Ordered from Marillion website – 33 quid total – cannot wait!
    Thanks for heads up!

33. JJDelmas says:

An absolute no-brainer for me even if I’ll have to buy a BR player to listen to the 5.1 mix. In fact I am even considering to get also the vinyl box just for the impressive artwork, even though I no longer have a turntable and I do not expect to go back to the XXth century! Do I want it signed? I am not sure but in this case I feel the Fish option would prevail.
    Btw, a much welcomed lack of cassette bonus and/or downloadable nonsense IMHO!

34. AlexKx says:

Sooo does anyone know why the little boy is dressed like Michael Jackson with a rainbow in the background? :)

35. Mic Smith says:

Without doubt this is my favourite Marillion album – rarely play the other Fish era ones and never bought into the Hogarth stuff.

It’s tempting to get it mainly for the live show. I’m not sure I’d play the 5.1 more than once to be honest. I’m not a fan of autographed copies either so will probably pre order elsewhere when I check out the prices.

36. Eric says:

Got the cd box set from the Fish site at 47 euros.
    Only pre-orders will be signed, beware !

37. Patrick says:

I’m a bit of an obsessive with Marillion and ordered from both Fish AND the band.
    Regarding my comment above, the track the Grendel video EP stated was never played live after the ’83 Hammersmith concert was The Web; and yet I noticed it is featured on the 1985 live concert recording with this box. I’m surprised but delighted as I’d love to hear Mosely playing on this song. I never really rated Mick Pointer’s drumming anyway!

• John D says:

Good to read Patrick’s comment. I was starting to think I was the only sad bugger who had ordered both! While I am sorry Wilson won’t do all the EMI albums I do hope they all get this style of packaging.

38. James says:

I understand that the reason Freaks was not remixed was that they did not have the master tapes as it was recorded later on at a different studio.

39. Paul Mac says:

Another sad bugger here, ordered the CD from Marillion and the vinyl from Fish. I think I need help…

40. Michel D. says:

New note on the Marillion web site:
    All copies sold through the Racket Store will be signed by Steve Rothery, Pete Trewavas, Ian Mosley & Mark Kelly.

41. Julian H says:

Wuuuuuuut!!!!! I think I’m dreaming!!

42. Richard says:

Hi,
    Just want to thank Paul and crew. I don’t remember them from the eighties here in NYC. Played the album on spotify. Love it and ordered it for my Brooklyn residence.

Cheers,R
    Richard

43. Highlander says:

Appreciate the heads on this Paul. I also appreciate Russell Emberson above, for providing a link and telling us you can pre-order it from the band’s site. It’s being signed by all the musicians and being shipped to the USA for $38 total. I never bought this back in the day and look forward to getting this! :-)

44. Philip says:

EMail from Fish / His Shop to say that he has been told that this is a one pressing only deal, so grab it while you can…..

“I received this on an e mail this Parlophone today which puts a bit of a new pressure on us all as we both have to gauge the pre orders.

“Just so you are aware, this is a limited product so we are only doing one factory run! Once it’s gone, it’s gone – as they say! “”