Marillion’s Misplaced Childhood remaster on single LP and CD

As promised, Parlophone deliver single disc remasters

The July reissue of Marillion‘s 1985 album Misplaced Childhood was a treat, but there was no opportunity to buy single disc remasters on CD, and in particular, vinyl. This has now been rectified and as promised at the time, in December the remastered album will also be made available on a single vinyl record and a single CD.

While Steven Wilson created the 5.1 surround mix for the box set, the 2017 remaster was done by Michael Hunter. Of course, I’m sure many SDE readers were pleased to pick up the 4CD+DVD package, so the single CD is likely to be of limited interest, however I’m not convinced everyone wanted to plump for the big 4LP vinyl box, with the live material, so a new single LP remaster of the album might be very welcome, especially at the UK pre-order price of just £14 (only 79p more than the CD, at the time of writing!).

The single disc CD and vinyl LP remasters of Misplaced Childhood will be released on 1 December 2017.

Marillion

Misplaced Childhood 2017 remaster - vinyl LP

Marillion

Misplaced Childhood 2017 remaster - CD Edition

Marillion

Misplaced Childhood - 4CD+DVD deluxe edition

FNAC fr 6LP coloured vinyl box 29.99

Marillion

Misplaced Childhood - 4LP vinyl box set

FNAC fr 6LP coloured vinyl box 72.99

1. Pseudo Silk Kimono (2017 Remastered Version)
2. Kayleigh (2017 Remastered Version)
3. Lavender (2017 Remastered Version)
4. Bitter Suite: Brief Encounter / Lost Weekend / Blue Angel / Misplaced Rendezvous / Windswept Thumb (2017 Remastered Version)
5. Heart of Lothian (2017 Remastered Version)
6. Waterhole (Expresso Bongo) [2017 Remastered Version]
7. Lords of the Backstage (2017 Remastered Version)
8. Blind Curve: Vocal Under a Bloodlight / Passing Strangers / Mylo / Perimeter Walk / Threshold (2017 Remastered Version)
9. Childhood’s End? (2017 Remastered Version)
10. White Feather (2017 Remastered Version)

22 responses to Marillion’s Misplaced Childhood remaster on single LP and CD

1. Darren Briscoe says:

I wish there was a separate chance to buy the Blu-ray for those of us who opted for the ( more expensive!) Vinyl box!

2. frattonlad says:

I feel your pain Darren. I opted for the CD purely because of the blu-ray. The documentary is a joy (I’ve watched it twice so far) and the 5.1 remix, whilst not pulling up any trees, does add something for those who, like me, know this album inside out.

That said, I do crave the vinyl. The live recording is a corker and I’d love to have it on vinyl. Not least as it knocks The Thieving Magpie into a cocked hat!

3. Stuart says:

Here’s hoping that further SDEs follow shortly for (at least) the remaining 7 EMI albums

4. Mathew Lauren says:

So, yeah I agree this would have been a nice standalone BR release, actually; and I have to demur, the 5.1 mix is amazing. The 2.0 versions simply don’t do the album enough justice. I, too, read SW’s comments about his 5.1 mix of this album, but that interview was quite an understatement of his achievement here. I was amazed at how much placement, movement and depth he achieved on the 5.1 BLU-RAY – as well as even MORE clarity. I’d say his 5.1 mix DID in fact, pull up trees — especially “side one” of album!

• frattonlad says:

Perhaps I need to give it a few more listens Mathew. My living room is in constant demand from the rest of my family so the opportunity to crank up the volume and enjoy a 5.1 album is limited to times when everyone else is otherwise occupied!

5. Not being a massive Marillion fan, but adoring the album and owning only the original CD version, I’d be interested in a remaster. Don’t have a 5.1 system so would the 1998 remaster suffice or is the latest one an audible improvement on that?

• frattonlad says:

Without a 5.1 system you can probably get by with the 98 remaster Bruno. That said, the 2017 set does contain the impressive 2-disc live set from Utrecht in 1985 too. Whether you think it’s worth forking out the extra cash or not I cannot say!

• Julian H says:

The 1998 remaster isn’t too great. I wouldn’t recommend it, though it’s not horrible.

• Gis Bun says:

Plus with exception of 1 track, what’s on the 1998 release is also in the box ser.
        Think of the BR as a future investment. Even then it has a stereo mix, documentary, promo videos, etc.

6. CJ Feeney says:

The new stereo mix is nothing much really and has an annoying glitch which once noticed is annoying. If it had been a good mix I think I might have upgraded my vinyl to add to the deluxe set. I’ll stick with my 1985 vinyl copy.

7. Tim says:

I know this album extremely well and I have to say that IMO the new remaster is utterly superb – easily the best I’ve hear the album (including original UK first pressing and my previous ‘go-to’ the EMI 100 vinyl)

8. Paul English says:

@CJ Feeney

Where is the glitch?

• CJ Feeney says:

DON’T READ IF YOU DON@T WANT TO KNOW

It’s on the track Bitter Suite.Pt3. Blue Angel (the bit used to end the Lavender single) has a piano fade that ends abruptly before pt 4 Misplaced Rendezvous starts.

As I say it’s hard to see how it happened if they weren’t remixing. It doesn’t appear on the 5.1 mix, so clearly it’s not an issue with the master tapes. It is on the BluRay, vinyl and CD stereo mixes.

It has been discussed by Fish on his FB page and he gives the impression that he and Marillion knew the glitch was there when they signed off on the package. However his comments are a bit ambiguous, he may mean he knows now but isn’t too concerned.

9. AlexKx says:

Why is the kid on the cover dressed like Michael Jackson?