Metallica / Hardwired.. To Self-Destruct

metallica_hardwired

Metallica‘s 11th studio album, Hardwired… To Self-Destruct will be issued in November.

The album has been produced by Greg Fidelman, along with James and Lars from the band. At nearly 80 minutes of music, Hardwired… To Self-Destruct is being issued across two CDs (yes, they could have squeezed onto one) and two vinyl records. A three-CD deluxe edition is also available with the third CD offering “riffs that were the origins of the album”.

There is also a limited 3LP vinyl box that includes that third disc with the demos/riffs. To differentiate this from the two-LP version it’s a triple coloured vinyl pressing and comes with a “lithograph photo print” and a digital download. This is all contained in a “high quality box”.

Hardwired… To Self-Destruct will be released on 18 November 2016.

Metallica

3. ManUNkind
  4. Here Comes Revenge
  5. Murder One
  6. Spit Out The Bone

Disc Three

1. Lords Of Summer
  2. Riff Charge (Riff Origins)
  3. N.W.O.B.H.M. A.T.M. (Riff Origins)
  4. Tin Shot (Riff Origins)
  5. Plow (Riff Origins)
  6. Sawblade (Riff Origins)
  7. RIP (Riff Origins)
  8. Lima (Riff Origins)
  9. 91 (Riff Origins)
  10. MTO (Riff Origins)
  11. RL72 (Riff Origins)
  12. Frankenstein (Riff Origins)
  13. CHI (Riff Origins)
  14. X Dust (Riff Origins)

Hardwired… To Self-Destruct 2LP Vinyl

3. ManUNkind
  4. Here Comes Revenge
  5. Murder One
  6. Spit Out The Bone

55 responses to Metallica / Hardwired.. To Self-Destruct

1. Tim-meh says:

The lead single has the best riff they’ve written in the last 25 years. Shame about the production.

2. Kevin says:

Love the lead-off track. Looking forward to this. I’m really happy they’re still around and putting out new material.

3. Gary says:

Well that’s the hands-down winner of best sleeve of the year.

4. WeeSluggy says:

Thats a shocking price for the coloured vinyl, but decent price for 3CDs thou

5. Billy says:

I could watch Lars drumming all day, very entertaining to watch. Good track as well.

6. Craig says:

I’ll be getting the 3CD version . The deluxe boxset was initially advertised as including the CDs on their website but that has now being corrected after initial orders were placed which I imagine has upset a few people.
    I’d have been tempted if the box included the CDs and matched the format of their back catalogue reissue programme (of which I’ll no doubt end up buying them all…even Load/Reload if I’m feeling flush when they get on to those).

7. Stu says:

The state of that album cover, hideous !

• Galley says:

There’s no way I’m gonna have that in my iTunes library! If I do buy it, I will edit out everything but the Metallica logo.

8. Paul Mac says:

What is going on with Amazon UK prices at the moment, they’re haywire for pre-orders!?

And that sleeve is awful.

9. Willard says:

Where was this song when I was 16?!?

10. Marcus says:

The riff is boring, Hetfields singing sounds compressed – much like the awful production. And Ulrichs drumming gets worse by the minute. He was never one of the best drummers, but up until ‘Reload’ he at least tried. After that came the atrocity named ‘St. Anger’. I still struggle to decide what was worse, his drumming or the dreadful sound.

I’ll give this one a pass.

So long, and thanks for all the thrash!

11. TheProgster says:

What a dreadful derge how can any sane person call this music? Absolute CRAP this is an incrediblely noisey badly sung, badly constructed piece of S*** of a so called song.
    It takes a lot of skill to write a proper well constructed song with a tuneful melody and good lyrics, but obviously these no marks couldn’t possibly do that…oh no they think they are clever
    by making a nasty noise like this…LOSERS !!!….enough said.

12. Tom says:

Oh boy, in retrospect I have to say that they should have called it a day after S&M. Overly redundant. Maybe I am getting too old but the sound hurts my ears and I am playing Master of Puppets still weekly.

13. Dave says:

Another mastering job worthy of the bottom of the landfill… It’s so odd to me that THIS genre suffers from such awful DRC and yet is the ONE genre that could really benefit from moving away from it.

But man, that album cover is great. And where was that main riff 30 years ago? I could have really used it back then!

14. AlexKx says:

I am serious when I say that I think that there is a big scandal with the idea and concept of them getting away with doing only one c.d.’s worth of music and then putting on two c.d.s. This is wrong on so man levels. Obviously the intent is to make people feel like they are getting more than they really are. There are no technological issues concerning why they have to do this…RIGHT?!
    The single other artist I know of who did this before in the c.d. age was Joan Jett And The Blackhearts with their compilation entitled “Greatest Hits”. The only thing I can figure as to why that was a two c.d. set is because it was trying to imitate the vinyl version. Is that the excuse here? I do not find that acceptable at all. Very bad. Very poor.
    I suppose that there was and or is the compilation by The Beatles entitled “1962-1966″ a.k.a “The Red Album” was carried evenly over two c.d.s that could have fit on one c.d. but the idea and concept there was again to imitate another product that being the companion compilation “1966-1970″ a.k.a. “The Blue Album” which had to be two c.d.s because of the time constraints. I want to know what the story and excuse is here. It’s 2016. C.d.s have been able to hold 80 minutes worth of music at LEAST since the late 1980’s and I really don’t know that they never couldn’t before then. Very bad standard being set here.

• Dean says:

I’ll speak in defense of 2 CD’s.

If they keep it to two CD’s, then it allows them to create an “album”, with the running order to match, and a second CD of what amounts to extras.

I personally dislike it when albums are reissued, and the extras are tucked in at the end of the CD – I much prefer 2 CD’s.

I don’t mind two CDs for ‘artistic’ reasons, as long as it doesn’t increase the price dramatically. Kate Bush’s Aerial is a good example where this works well.

• Charles K. says:

James was interviewed about the new material several months ago and he said most of the songs were 6 to 8 minutes the lead off single notwithstanding. Probably the reason for discs one would assume.

15. Mike says:

I probably would have liked the PG-13 lyrics when I was 15 and first discovered Metallica during Ride the Lightning. Now that I’m in my 40’s it just seems really cheap.
    Today I don’t listen to anything past MOP after the way Lars’ changed his drums to almost sound like a drum machine on ..And Justice and everything after that.

16. elliott buckingham says:

not bad sounds like something from justice but awful sound quality perhaps you tube vid isn’t doing it justice

17. Friso Pas says:

If only they would get the mastering right this time. Anything above DR level 7 would already be a big step forward for Metallica. So they may not be the greatest musicians and songwriters, but…. They’re still kicking a.. though. Looking forward to hearing the rest. Will probably buy the coloured 3 LP.

18. Tom of FIN says:

OMG, why do not they retire at last with their tens of millions and ex-supermodel wives/MILFs/girlfriends or whoever? Indeed and really?

Kill’em All all and Ride The Lightning got this all over 30 years ago and everything else was just repetition, gimmicks and going with the trends and too much studio time (money) after that.

This is like Windows 10 update in user interface, which nobody needs, but heavy user consumer base.

19. AlexKx says:

Wow! How are you all explaining being taken advantage of with two c.d.s when it could all fit onto one?! This doesn’t make sense. How does it make it an “album” and the second “bonus tracks”. This is so profoundly incompetent. It’s like when the morons said that the future of the music industry is touring. That might have been the case but that was not a good thing. That’s like me giving you ham and saying, “That’s the new ham sandwich.”. It’s a lie on every front. It just means you do with less and it DOESN’T MAKE SENSE!!!! What in the HELL?!!

20. Jason Brown says:

I think £15 for 3 CD’s isn’t too bad in this day & age. Cover art does seem a little KISS circa 1984, but hey. And as ever, at the end of the day, if you don’t like it, then you’re not obliged to buy it.

Personally, I loved the compression of Death Magnetic – no problem with metal sounding loud! So I’ll be more than happy to give this a go.

21. elliott buckingham says:

the price on amazon at 8:49am is showing £97.30 for a triple vinyl ….wtf

22. Dean says:

While I have sympathies for those complaining about low DR numbers – this is not the stage on which to fight the war. Have you guys listened to this track? You could have a DR of 15 and it would sound exactly the same.

DR benefits music with a lot of dynamics, this track has virtually none – not because it has been mastered poorly, but because of the artists intention. I’m not a Metallica fan at all, but seriously, anyone who thinks this would sound better with a DR of 12 or so is not understanding why DR is important. It’s not a black and white issue – and this track is an example where, frankly, DR isn’t a primary concern. For example – listen to the compressed drum sound. That’s not a mastering mistake, clearly. It’s what they wanted.

I have no idea about the rest of the album, honestly I’m never going to hear it, but while DR of 3 would hurt any recording, a DR of 12 wouldn’t have made any difference in this case.

• Julian H says:

I think you’re oversimplifying the issue. Yes, a compressed drum track has less DR than an uncompressed one (which should be around DR 20) but if you mix it with vocals, guitar and bass you should end up with something that still has reasonable microdynamics (DR 9 or 10, I’d guess). So there’s still a large amount of compression *after the final mixdown* applied and I think a lot of listeners would say that’s really not necessary. The only thing it tends to do is make the rhythms less defined. Not really a good idea for music that’s supposed to “move” you (i.e. headbanging or whatever). “Enter Sandman” on the original CD has a DR of 11.

23. Julian H says:

I see people complaining about sleeve pictures on this site all the time. But this one is really… ugh.

24. John Collins says:

The cover rivals the Foo Fighters’ Wasting Light in its awfulness.

25. Adam says:

Big Metallica fan. Loved pretty much everything up to S&M, disliked most of St. Anger, enjoyed Death Magnetic immensely, hated Lulu (except for the final track).

This song is alright, maybe 6/10. Pretty good riffs, lyrics could use some work. Looking forward to the CDs, not shelling out for the triple colored vinyl box.

Just because they wanted it to sound this way doesn’t rescue it from criticism of that choice. I’m not a slave to DR at all, and much of Death Magnetic sounded OK to me for the most part as an artistic choice, but the decision to make everything (except the bass, obviously) the same volume generally doesn’t help them. Go back and listen to “Creeping Death” or “Disposable Heroes” and tell me that even their faster tunes don’t benefit from some space between Ulrich and Hammett. You can defend the compressed drum sound, and that’s fine, but why can’t I hear the solo over it? That’s just silly.

That said, I don’t trust YouTube to represent the full audio quality of music, so I’ll wait for the CDs to pass judgement there.

26. JWL says:

The cover looks like it was made by the same designer who did Dave Gahan’s newest album.

27. Gisabun says:

I would guess 2 CDs to match the 2 LPs to make it “balanced”. Not a fan of the band but as long as they keep the 2 CD edition reasonably priced, I think few will care it’s on 2 CDs.

28. AlexKx says:

Oh my, GOD! How can you all excuse it on being two c.d.s in order to have it “balanced” to the two l.p. set?! What is this, 1985?! Seriously! Why not make it five c.d.s?! You all will excuse anything! How pathetic!

Alex, I think you need to calm down. Please tell me you are not really THIS outraged about this issue. Are you even planning to buy this album? If they want to release it on two CDs they can. If that puts people off buying it and has an impact on sales, then I guess they won’t do it again. Let’s move on, I think…

• Wazza says:

I think if all you have to complain about in life is that the new Metallica album that could be released on 1 cd is being released as a double cd , then I think you are doing ok

29. Wayne Klein says:

Worst. Album cover. This year.

30. Timbo19 says:

I have no axe to grind (see what I did there) for Metallica and I am all for fair comment and constructive criticism so I am at a loss over some of the more judgmental comments here. After all, how many of us can say we have as much enthusiasm and energy to devote to some activity we used to enjoy when we were 18 now we are middle aged – oh, wait…

31. hirum says:

im a massive fan of the band but 1 cd, 2cds is irrelevant.what is important is that the song just aint that good, i want to love it but cant, very average for an increasingly average band. 25 years is a long time ago…………….

32. Chris2 says:

The youtube single apparently has a DR value of 8, much better than Death Magnetic! Hopfully the CD will be in this range as well.

33. Chris2 says:

Okay, the dowload has 6. Bad but still better than DM.

34. AlexKx says:

It is entirely relevant when someone is screwing both you and others over something that not necessary. Especially if people are not only so passive about it and compliant but don’t speak up about it! Especially if they don’t speak up as soon as possible before other people start doing this more often or it becomes the standard! HENCE why I am pressing the issue. It ALSO occurred to me today that another scamish reason this is being put on two c.d.s is that it will probably allow the sales to be twice as high as they would be otherwise.

• Julian H says:

Alex, if people don’t speak up about the issue it means that people don’t think it’s as important as you’re making it out to be. SDE is filled to the brim with complaints about formats, track selection, artwork, mastering etc. so it’s not like people aren’t speaking up if they feel like it. But speaking up (in the hope of changing something) only makes sense if there’s a number of people who are upset about it. This is obviously not the case here. You’re of course entitled to your opinion but you cannot expect others to have the same opinion.

35. AlexKx says:

I meant to say “…that is not necessary.” but since there is not an edit option here is my correction.

36. hirum says:

DISAPOINTMENT AWAITS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

37. Philip says:

Onbe review Isaw states a running time of 88 minutes, so the reason it’s a double could be because it’s a double

38. Jason Brown says:

Don’t know if anyone has noticed, but disc 3 has changed : no longer ‘just’ riffs, it’s now a compilation of Lords Of Summer, a Dio medley, couple of covers ( DP & Maiden) plus a bunch of live classics. I’ve pre-ordered mine today!

39. Flavian says:

Why has the 3rd disc tracklisting changed all of a sudden ??? No longer ‘riff origins’ – been changed to some old live tracks we’ve seen many times before !!!!
    I only ordered the deluxe for the demos