Midnight Oil mega-sets now available for pre-order outside Australia

Midnight Oil‘s creative and expansive archival box sets (announced last week) can now be ordered from outside Australia – at a price.

The 14-disc ‘Full Tank‘ set (that features all 11 classic studio albums, the two EPs, plus a new DVD with all of the band’s music videos), the 12-disc (4CD+8xDVD) ‘Overflow Tank‘ rarities collection and the 13LP ‘Vinyl Collection’ are all listed.

These are effectively priced as imports, so none of these are easy on the wallet, although the Canadian and US pricing is currently far more more attractive than in the UK, where the investment required to acquire the Vinyl Collection makes Pink Floyd‘s Early Years set look like a veritable bargain. As things stand, Brits would be better off shipping from Australia.

On the other hand, it is over two months until these are released and the prices may drop significantly. No risk of import duties and not having to return an item to Australia, should problems occur, isn’t to be sniffed at.

All three sets have a release date of 12 May 2017, which is seven days later than in Australia.

0889854258825

Midnight Oil

The Full Tank

Shop Price GBP Stock

0889854258924

Midnight Oil

Midnight Oil: The Over Flow Tank (Limited Superdeluxe DVD Box Set 4CD+8DVD)

Shop Price GBP Stock

Midnight Oil: The Vinyl Collection

Shop Price GBP Stock

The Full Tank

Introducing Midnight Oil’s “Full Tank” from Sony Legacy and Sony Music Australia.This is the definitive Oils CD/DVD collection. It includes, for the first time ever, all of their 11 classic studio albums, their two EPs, plus a new DVD called 40,000 Watt RSL that contains all of the band’s unforgettable music videos. Each album has been digitally remastered over recent years and its artwork has been restored to match the original releases. This ultimate collection also includes some alternative album covers, plus a new cover for the DVD. Uniquely made out of recycled materials, all of these 14 discs are housed in a miniature replica water tank like the one seen onstage at so many memorable Midnight Oil concerts. This collection also contains a deluxe 36 page booklet that takes you on a journey through the unparalleled career and music of Midnight Oil with a collection of iconic photos and an essay by Australian music journalist and musician, Sean Sennett.

Contents

• Redneck Wonderland
  • Capricornia
  • ‘40,000 Watt RSL’ DVD

(10hrs 36mins of music)

Midnight Oil / Overflow Tank box set

The Over Flow Tank

Introducing Midnight Oil’s Overflow Tank from Sony Legacy and Sony Music Australia.
This treasure trove for true fans includes over 14 hours of previously unreleased and currently unavailable sound and vision from throughout Midnight Oil’s stellar career. As with its companion piece the Full Tank, the Overflow Tank is made out of recycled materials and housed in a miniature replica water tank like the one seen onstage at so many Midnight Oil gigs. It is the ultimate Oils collection containing one CD of unreleased studio recordings, one CD of unavailable B-sides and rarities plus 2 live CD’s drawn from iconic shows across two decades. It also includes 8 DVD’s; MTV Unplugged, a live concert from South Africa,s Ellis Park, and Only The Strong, a behind the scenes documentary about the making of 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1
(all previously unreleased). plus the films Black Rain Falls, Oils On the Water, Saturday Night at the Capitol, Blackfella Whitefella and a special bonus DVD with rare and unseen live footage from 6 different shows. Each of the 12 discs has its own new unique artwork and the tank also contains a deluxe 36 page booklet containing rare photos and an exclusive 5000 word essay about Midnight Oil by renowned Australian writer, Andrew Stafford.

Contents

• Lasseter’s Gold (CD)
  • Chiko Locallo (CD)
  • 2JJ Live at the Wireless (CD)
  • Punter Barrier BPM (CD)
  • MTV Unplugged (DVD)
  • Black Rain Falls (DVD)
  • Saturday Night at the Capitol (DVD)
  • Oils On the Water (DVD)
  • Only the Strong (DVD)
  • Blackfella Whitefella (DVD)
  • Ellis Park – the Concert (DVD)
  • Moments in Space (DVD)

(14hrs 13mins of music)

The Vinyl Collection

Introducing the Complete Midnight Oil Vinyl Collection from Sony Legacy and Sony Music Australia. This definitive Oils collection includes all of Midnight Oil’s 11 classic studio LP’s plus their two 12″ EP’s on 180gsm Vinyl in one complete box. Each vinyl has been remastered from the original tapes by Steve Smart at Studios 301, Sydney and then mastered for Vinyl at Abbey Road Studios, London. The artwork has been painstakingly restored to match the original releases and this deluxe boxset includes the original alternative album cover for Capricornia.

Midnight Oil is more than just a rock & roll band. From their beginnings as an inner city punk group gigging around Australian pubs in the late 70s they grew into one of Australia’s most successful international rock bands in the 80s and 90s. Midnight Oil followed nobody else’s rules. They blazed trails, they took stands and they pushed all boundaries. Most importantly, across a quarter of a century this iconic band created a uniquely Australian sound that is captured here in one complete vinyl collection for the very first time.

Contents

• Blue Sky Mining
  • Earth and Sun and Moon
  • Breathe
  • Redneck Wonderland
  • Capricornia

(8hrs 43mins of music)

38 responses to Midnight Oil mega-sets now available for pre-order outside Australia

1. Doug says:

Want. But can’t afford.

2. Neil says:

Amazon UK are really a joke expecting people to pay £100 to £200 more for these than the other countries. That new Icehouse box set is £140 on Amazon and that is way overpriced but theses boxes are really taking the proverbial.

3. Sean Lawler says:

Amazon UK prices are insane !!!!

4. Phil Aston says:

I just feel that my demographic is being fleeced before we get too old. Also, I have no shelf to fit that ….

5. Robert says:

I would think they’d be a significant drop in price over time. This seems like the Pink Floyd box which you can now get close to half of what it once was.

Oil prices do fluctuate… ;) I’ll get me coat.

• Charles K. says:

I doubt these will ever go down significantly which would require wider distribution and a large demand from the public. PF went down because of this reason and because PF always fleece fans in the beginning. Plus, PF still has major backing from a label, this effort by Midnight Oil shows this is not the case with them.

Sadly, this is the future of pre-packaged media, especially for bands without historical clout and sales like The Stones, Beatles, etc. I don’t care to blame MO for this debacle yet, if they had to do this largely on their own then they may not have had many options.

I read back in 2003 that they were planning a reissue campaign similar to the two disc Church remasters via EMI, I wish they would have done it then!

• I suspect they didn’t do those because they ended up not having enough bonus material for a second disc on all the albums. All the MO singles I own don’t have any non-album b-sides, so I wonder if they’re one of those bands that just never went into the studio with extra songs. In these sets there’s only two discs of non-album audio supposedly spanning the 13 albums/eps. And I think some albums have several related concert recordings and others aren’t documented at all.

I also don’t think these “Tanks” will go down in price, but I’d be kind of surprised if Sony/Legacy don’t have plans to release a more economical clam-shell box of the audio CDs down the line. Unless their involvement was solely signing off on the rights to let MO do this and they otherwise have no interest.

• Trash says:

I bet you were waiting to say that… :-)

(did make me laugh though).

6. Jon Mayers says:

Much cheaper on the Midnight Oil Store – http://www.midnightoil.com/store/
    “Over flow tank” for example is GBP £156 there, £366 on Amazon.

7. Peter says:

My first MO album was 10,9,8?etc.

There is a line in one of their songs “the rich get richer, the poor get the picture” that’s always struck a chord with me and I have followed them since,

Think that line is apt for the cost of this collection, UK.

8. RJSWinchester says:

I thought they’d be environmentally friendly and make this a download only release!

• David Bricknell says:

All packaging in these sets is from recycled materials and their forthcoming world tour is being carbon offset. They’ve always tried to walk the talk environmentally.

• RJSWinchester says:

The recycled packaging makes little difference. This would be a download only release if they really walked the talk. Granted it wouldn’t be entirely carbon free but it would be a lot friendlier than these two physical box sets.

• Fat Old Bloke says:

It’s all about the dollars, these guys are doing this for their retirement funds.
      I own all midnight oil CDs but won’t pay this price!

9. Glenn says:

Was excited to get a teaser ‘watch this space’ email from them last week. Sad to see this is what they are releasing vs individual albums with the bonus material attached. Also, just tried to tickets for their local show and they sold out in under 10 minutes…

10. zombiekev says:

Having already ordered the Tank Combo (Full & Over Flow Tanks bundle) from the MO store I was briefly concerned when I saw the title of this post – until I read the Amazon UK prices. What a joke!

I live in the UK so the set cost me £245 plus another £35 postage. Even if I get hit with import duty (2.5% of total) and VAT (20% of item price) the total amount I’ll end up paying will be about £340. Expensive, I know, but significantly less than the current Amazon UK price for either of the tanks individually.

That having been said, I will monitor the UK prices as they may drop between now and the release date (as Paul mentions). However, they’re going to have to come down by a huge amount before they even come close to the cost of getting them direct from the band’s store.

11. Warren says:

Is there any 5.1 content in any of these sets? That would get me to pull the trigger on these. I perused the Oils website, but found no mention of 5.1. As I recall, “Capricornica” was previously available in 5.1, but I am unaware of anything else.

12. Arcweld says:

I took the plunge and bought from their site in Australia. At 270£ including shipping, not so bad when compared with PF. I am expecting import duties, but agree the worry is getting faults corrected.

I based the risk on, if you have a set this big, and the promotion around the world tour, why not have a regional distribution of sets. It seems odd to me they seem to be Oz only with no mention of global release. So I figured it looks like this will be the only way to get it. I will certainly not pay the current amazon prices, and while I am sure it will go down I don’t see them both going below 270 in the U.K.

Anyway, you pay your money! Time will tell – will see in May if the decision was a good one!

13. Phil says:

“The artwork has been painstakingly restored to match the original releases” – this is the sort of bullshit that really pisses me off. The artwork will have been already saved on a file somewhere from the original pressings and is now being printed. This is not a big task, and yet is increasingly treated as some sort of buying incentive to make people shell out £££ for reissues.

I thought Midnight Oil were supposed to be the sort of band that cared deeply about their fans? This all stinks of rip-off.

• Straker says:

I don’t know that much about MO but chances are any artwork prior to 1990 will’ve been done old-skool ie physically with typesetting, artboard and good old-fashioned pen and ink. Those original artworks from which the sleeves were printed probably don’t exist anymore (and if they did it’d be expensive to re-originate from and as everything is digital these days most printers wouldn’t be up to the job – It’s dinosaur stuff).

I daresay “painstakingly restored” in this case means scanning, at high resolution, from printed sleeves taking them into an Apple Mac and tweaking as much as possible to get the best out of them, sorting out fine type and maybe using some blurring/de-screening to get rid of any screen-clash.

14. william mckinley says:

I would like this, but it is waaaay too much.

15. william mckinley says:

I would like this, but it is waaaay too much. But it does look like it is cheaper to buy it from Canada.

16. Adam says:

Decided to pass on this and see them live instead. Saw them in 1988 and they was marvelous. Their date here sold out in under 60 seconds, though, so that was a bummer. Oh well. If you get a chance to see them, you should.

I don’t begrudge the Oils exploiting their back catalog like this. I actually like the packaging, but the contents are a bit lacking, except for the one CD of previously unreleased tunes. Maybe if the price comes down. Seems unlikely, but you never know.

17. Stevo says:

Given how ineffectual Peter Garrett was as a politician, I’m having trouble swallowing all the hype used to promote this box set. ‘There’s no way we won’t say what we think.’ Sure, Peter. What a shame you didn’t do that when you were in politics.

This is all just about Peter packing in a lacklustre political career and making more money another way.

• Michael says:

Garrett was elected to Parliament and became a minister in government. This is lacklustre? How stellar is your career?

18. Stephen says:

Go to midnightoil.com where you can get both CD boxsets (or tanksets) for £281 which works out at £10.80 per disc. I’ve been waiting for this fabled set since they floated the idea around 5 years ago. Worth every penny.

• patjoller says:

same here…. been monitoring every website from band members (especially jim moginie) and they talked about this for a long time. Being a huge Oils fan I can’t wait to hear the rarities. They are known as a band without a lot of leftovers so I’m glad to have at least one cd of “new” material. It’s a shame to add again the same releases again (oils on water, capitol, black fella white fella and black rain falls), but the other dvd sound promising (I just hope that the unplugged is the full concert and not the MTV edited one.

19. Mark says:

Does anyone know where the tracklists (for the overflow tank esp) can be viewed please?

20. Hans lindskog says:

Hello, i bought both the complete cd set and the cd dvd set from Midnight oil own website. Ok, the vat could be high ( approx 25 %) which is about 68 pounds for sweden. The maximum total cost for both set would be SEK 3800 ( Divine by 11 and you get the prick in pounds) . Still , this is a good band that i have been following since “beds are burning ” back in 1988. I would like to see more complete albums collections in the future, for ex van Morrison. Has anyone heard snyting about a superdeluxe version of smashing pumpkins ” machina” ? Best regards , hans

21. smorrissey says:

Thanks God i only know and like the song “Beds Burning”. =)

22. Larry Davis says:

The Amazon price is a tad high…so I went to the Oils CD store and US price for the 2 CD/DVD sets is $305…which is not bad at all for 27 discs…12 bucks a disc…and cool usedful packaging…but still, these sets are quite limited, so like Amazon does, if you pre-order something, you basically reserve a spot and you don’t get charged till the sets actually dispatch, so I had to ask 24 Hundred about when the charging occurs…in May or right away??…and unfortunately, because these sets are in such high demand and limited, it is right away, and they apologized for any inconvenience. I can’t afford the $305 at this very moment, but will when my tax refund arrives, which might be in 2-3 weeks…so I have to hang tight…if it’s sold out in the Oils Store, I will have to order on Amazon, and hope the price drops…as for the NYC gig at Webster Hall, I have to check to see if that sold out or not…hopefully not.

23. Wayne Klein says:

I want to hear how these are mastered and who did it. If it is like the deluxe “Diesel and Dust”, then I will skip this. That was too compressed and did a disservice to music that needs to have dynamic range.

24. Michael G says:

Full Tank now available pre order £146.66 Amazon UK.