Mike Oldfield to reissue 1984 albums, Discovery and Killing Fields

mike_1984

Mike Oldfield will this year continue his ongoing programme of re-presenting his body of work with reissues of his 1984 album Discovery and the soundtrack to Roland Joffé’s film The Killing Fields.

The announcement was made on Olfield’s personal Facebook group and although further details and bonus material information is yet to come, we were told that there would be a disc called SUITE 1984 included as part of the package(s) and this would be available on vinyl and in 5.1. surround sound.

2014 saw a pause in Mike Oldfield reissues to allow for the release of his last studio album Man on the Rocks. Five Miles Out and Crises were issued simultaneously in 2013. The box set version of the later is already out of print.

More news on Discovery and The Killing Fields soon.

22 responses to Mike Oldfield to reissue 1984 albums, Discovery and Killing Fields

1. DJ Control says:

This is excellent news. I’m hoping for a 5.1 of The Killing Fields. One of my favourite soundtracks.

2. Weide says:

Sehr vernünftig. Ich bin gespannt auf die Suite. Thanks a lot, lieber Michael.

3. Julian H says:

Crises out of print? Oh dear, I’m seeing prices of 595 € for the box set! Unreal!

• Steven says:

Yes, you would think some bright spark at the record label would have the idea to re-release at least the Crises 5.1 mix (which, let’s be honest, was the main draw for the box set) as a Blu-ray audio disc…

4. Steven says:

…although they could of course comfortably fit the entire box set on a single Blu-ray.

Just sayin’ :)

5. MAD says:

Why is the Crises boxset not reissued???

Many people, me included of course, are hoping for it :'(

They already reissued it once. There was a second production run almost straight away. Were you on holiday when all this activity was going on? ;)

• Julian H says:

C’mon Paul. Imagine somebody who only just got into Mike’s music and doesn’t want to buy a five-disc set right away. Or seeing how the “Hurting” box set is hard to find now, imagine someone ten years younger than me getting into TFF in a few years and wanting to get everything….

These releases are meant to supersede previous editions, but they end up becoming rarities and making the rare songs rare again. This can’t be ideal.

I hear you, but the more separate production runs of something they do more the audience diminishes (because most fans will have bought initially) and the higher the risk of overstocks and making a loss. It’s a business at the end of the day. Swings and roundabouts, I suppose. Something rare is great if you have it, but if you don’t then it’s not :) Also to play devil’s advocate, a very good 2CD deluxe is still easily available. *that* is really what supersedes the standard edition not the box set.

• Julian H says:

Sure, but it’s not the ‘real deal’. I mean I’m glad to have both TFF boxes but somebody who becomes a fan and wants to have everything is basically at a loss for, say, the Extended Versions from SFTBC or the live sessions on The Hurting. And the Crises boxset is currently the only place you can get the 5.1 in. I just had a conversation with a friend who thinks the same, he wanted to get some more of the Duran Duran re-releases as he’d waited for the price to drop, but they ended up being sold for insane prices.

6. Paul English says:

The 2000 remaster of The Orchestral Tubular Bells is a hard one to find.

• feline1 says:

A 5-disc Crises boxset, and somehow their was no room for the B-side of ‘Moonlight Shadow’ (namely, ‘Rite of Man’).
      And what about the Orchestral Tubular Bells and Exposed albums?

7. Rich says:

RE: Crisis 5.1 Deluxe Box. I spent over six months looking for a new copy for a decent price. In February it reappeared on Amazon UK and DE for £39. I assumed it had been reissued again. Fortunately I didn’t hesitate before ordering one as they had sold out a day later.

8. Ronald Frank says:

Crises? What Crisis!

9. David says:

What a bizarre situation- an obvious market for releases, and the companies choose to not do follow up pressings. This happens time and time again – try bagging an sacd of ‘ NEW GOLD DREAM’ or ” ‘MAXIMUM MINIMUM’. This is what you get when the accountants run the labels.

10. Paul English says:

Hope In The Pool makes an appearance.

11. Darren says:

My Anus will turn into a Vagina before Discovery Deluxe gets here – it’s as bad as waiting for the new TOOL Album (Algina!)

• Julian H says:

That’s the oddest thing I’ve read in weeks.

• Talaniel says:

Hehe, odd, but pretty good :-) I also eagerly wait for Discovery and I’m also interested in new Tool album :-) So I entirely understand the comment :-)

12. Paul B says:

Anyone heard anymore about these at all?

13. Pingback:Mike Oldfield revisits 1984 with reissues and new rarities set | superdeluxeedition