More details on Prince 4EVER

prince4ever

Seven tracks new to CD

Despite being targeted firmly at the casual fan, the new Prince 4EVER compilation (due next month) will contain a number of well-known tracks in variants that have never before been issued on CD, according to Warners.

Twenty-two out of the 40 tracks on Prince 4EVER are single edits, as follows:

• If I Was Your Girlfriend 3.46
  • I Could Never Take The Place Of Your Man (fade) 3.39
  • Glam Slam* 3.28
  • Diamonds And Pearls 4.20
  • Gett Off (single remix) 3.59
  • 7 (Album Edit) 4.23

Warners are claiming that the tracks marked in bold and with an asterisk are “previously unavailable on CD” although labels are notoriously unreliable with information like this, so SDE readers can confirm if this is indeed the case!

Other points of interest include the fact that Nothing Compares 2 U is identical to the version on The Hits/The B-Sides and that Diamonds And Pearls wasn’t edited for the single in the UK, therefore the US 4.20 single edit must be what is being used. Of course as well as this Moonbeam Levels is included which is completely unreleased.

4EVER will be released on 25 November (22 Nov in the US). The full track listing is below.

Prince

6.    I Wanna Be Your Lover
7.    Soft and Wet
8.    Why You Wanna Treat Me So Bad
9.    Uptown
10. When You Were Mine
11. Head
12. Gotta Stop (Messin’ About)
13. Controversy
37. My Name Is Prince
38. 7
39. Peach
40. Nothing Compares 2 U

91 responses to More details on Prince 4EVER

1. unique says:

is there a running length for moonbeam levels published officially?

fans are wondering what version it may be. the original 1982 version or the 1987 version (which is basically the same as the 1982 version but mixed differently), or a rerecorded version such as from 2010 like when he rerecorded extralovable (he rerecorded 1,000 hugs and kisses and large room with no light in the last 10 years too)

2. elliott buckingham says:

i wonder if prince ever recorded manic Monday b4 giving it to the bangles

3. AnthonyC says:

I’ve checked my archive….

Little Red Corvette edit is on the Crown Jewels CD Promo – obviously not commercially available.

Alphabet Street edit is also on the Crown Jewels and the USA Promo Single – again not commercially available.

But there are two errors…..

Girls And Boys Single Edit is on CD2 of the Peach CD Single – cat no : W0210CD2.

Glam Slam Single Edit is on the Glam Slam CD Single – cat no : W7806CD.

4. Eric M. says:

Thank you for this clarification! “Glam Slam” is the LP edit judging by the length, and not the Pettibone 7″. The LP edit has •technically• been released on promo radio station CD, although not to the public. I think “Girls and Boys” has been out on a CD single with “Kiss”, but I am not 100% sure on that. “Little Red Corvette” was out on a backtrax CD single with “1999”.

“Let’s Work”, “Let’s Go Crazy” and “Take Me With You” are true 1st time on CD occurrences. I predict a lot of pissed off listeners when they hear thay awkward crossfade on the intro of “Crazy” but I, for one, can’t wait.

Those timings are mine based on the fact that it is confirmed that these are single edits, so in theory there is still a minute chance of getting the Pettibone 7″ of Glam Slam.

• Eric M. says:

Oh! Sorry if i read too fast and missed that. Be warned there are two different “single remix”‘es of “Gett Off” as well, depending on whether you’re in the US or UK. The US mix was closer in length to the LP version.

5. Eric M. says:

*that awkward crossfade

6. pjm says:

what, No LP? Life is so unfair. Cue rant!

7. Chris Brown says:

AFAIK that ‘Alphabet St’ edit was on a promo CD, but not the commercial CD single. I suspect that applies to a few others too.

8. Istvan says:

Thanks for the update Paul! I, personally, can’t wait to own the Batdance edit finally on CD!

9. David mcIntyre says:

If I am not mistaken, unless the version of take me with U is a different mix which I am unaware of then it has appeared on CD, Purple Rain, although on the album it runs to approx 3.47, maybe it fades out quicker.

Re: Elliot Buckingham.

Yes, Prince did record Manic Monday, with Vanity (Denise Matthews) on lead vocals and himself on backing vocals, originally intended to be on the second Vanity 6 album, which never happened due to Vanity leaving the Purple Rain tent before the movie was underway which opened the door for Patricia (Apollonia) Kotero to take the rains (see what I did there?) on the renamed Apollonia 6. It seems that P didnt feel that such a good tune should end up on such a mediocre album. It then eventually ended up with the Bangles. I have heard a rather murky version of the original and it is pretty much the same arrangement as the released version albeit with Susannah Hoffs on lead vocals.
    On a side note, Take me with U was originally slated to be on the Apollonia 6 album before Prince held that one back for Purple Rain.

10. princebowie says:

a shame if purple rain is the full length album version. the rest is good news.

11. Steven C says:

Great. The Crappy edit of “When Doves Cry” where they chop off the epic guitar ending from the album version. This is what happens when people who shouldn’t be putting these things together are given control…

• Rob Wilson says:

i am so glad I am not the only one who is fed up with the neglect of the Album Version. Prince’s screeches at the end completely make the song for me!

• spunkfunker says:

The album versions are superior on When Doves Cry, Delirious, and I Wanna be Your Lover they should be included!!! 1999, Controversy, and Purple Rain actually got better in edited form.

• Eric M. says:

With all respect due to other opinions, the LP versions are always going to be a part of their parent albums. “When Doves Cry” and “Let’s Go Crazy” album versions are set to be included on the remastered Purple Rain next year. For those of us who like to have the 45 versions collected, a best-of, or greatest hits like this would have to be the proper place.

12. elliott buckingham says:

will sexy mf be the clean version I hate 7″ edits especially 1999 it sounds awful

13. Tom says:

I personally love the “Cat, we need you to rap!” part of Alphabet Street.

14. MFG says:

From the list above, these are the songs that are different lengths from the versions on Hits 1/2.

(Hits 1/2 length listed second)

Little Red Corvette* 3.08 (4.56)
    Let’s Go Crazy* 3.46 (4.39)
    Alphabet St.* 2.25 (5.39)
    Gett Off (single remix) 3.59 (4.30)
    7 (Album Edit) 4.23 (5.09)

Disappointed that Little Red Corvette and Let’s Go Crazy are shorter versions. OK with the rest.

15. Jason says:

Blu-ray audio would have been a great one-disc format for this, much like the Rolling Stones’ GRRR!

16. Rob Wilson says:

Gonna go download the bootleg “Virtual 7″ Singles Box” to try to listen to how some of these are edited

17. AlexKx says:

It’s o.k.! This will allow those to be on a 2 c.d. compilation and there are FAR more compilations of hits and best ofs that can be done in the years to cum that can be FAR more extensive than all of this! Hopefully those would have the full versions you all are talking about, eh!

18. lee bowler says:

Really really wanted the Edit of ‘Purple Rain’, but i’m still loving this compilation. Yes it omits essential listening (Gold, Thunder, Most Beautiful Girl, Partyman, Thieves etc etc) but hey ho

19. lee bowler says:

Oops Thieves is there (my bad)!

20. baward says:

We all love physical media, but I would have thought that “previously unavailable on CD” is less and less an attractive selling point with a thousand ways to buy stuff as downloads these days. “Unavailable on CD” isn’t the same as “Unreleased”.

• Eric M. says:

I think that’s a shorthand for “previously unreleased in digital quality”, which is an important distinction to make, as they are not truly “unreleased”.

I thought it was fairly well understood what “previously unreleased on CD” means. It is supposed to mean that the track, in the form that it is being released, hasn’t been commercially available (i.e. promos don’t count) on any CD. Granted, labels regularly get this wrong, but I think we have established that 5 of the 7 Warners claim ARE genuinely previously unreleased on CD (and not just ‘digital quality’).

• Eric M. says:

Right. My point to the original poster was just that it would be woefully inaccurate to label these tracks “unreleased”.

I think there’s still plenty of consumers interested in titles previously “unreleased on CD”. God knows I am. I love my vinyl, too, but to only have that one option for the old single mixes/edits is frustrating. Anyway, I didn’t mean to second guess your notations– just meant that when I see “unavailable on CD” in relation to older music like this, I pretty much make it synonymous with “only previously available on scratchy 45’s and dull cassettes!”

Still excited for the few new tracks here – I think it’s a sign of good faith for any more forthcoming reissues.

21. elliott buckingham says:

what we don’t want is the edited when doves cry. I want a comprehensive 12″ collection have most on vinyl but would love a remastered set. amazon are listing some 12″ singles for 2017 release

22. Just one example that Discogs is a way to search for certain versions of songs. In this case Alphabet St. (single edit, on CD).

23. spunkfunker says:

I really don’t like single edits, especially of Prince songs! I may pick this up anyway though. It would have been nice for them to include some of the killer B’s like Irresistible B, 17 Days, Erotic City, She’s Always in my Hair, La la la He he he, or Shockadelica.

Hopefully we will get the 1999 era Xtraloveable on the Purple Rain reissue next year. There are rumors of a whole disc of songs from that era coming with the set along with Wednesday, and Fathers Song, plus the full version of Computer Blue. Also rumored to be included is his birthday concert from First Avenue, which is available now as a bootleg, If only half of this is true I am all over that one!

Does anyone know if there will be a vinyl edition of this set, maybe even a purple one haha!

24. RJSWinchester says:

Happy to have the single edit of Alphabet St. finally on CD because it works, unlike the single edit of When Doves Cry which doesn’t.

• AnthonyC says:

The single edit of Alphabet St has been available on CD single 1988. It’s on the USA CD Promo which is widely available.

Promo CDs don’t count as a commercial release however ‘widely available’ they may be. So it’s correct for them to say it’s “previously unreleased on CD” because a promo isn’t a ‘release’. But as discussed they’re wrong about Girls and Boys..

25. mike says:

I dont think anyone can complain, unusual for anyone to care what goes on a GH set. Good on Warners for bothering.

• Michael says:

The serious fans ALWAYS care what appears on their favourite artists compilations as it can often mean rare edits, 7″ remix edits, and other tracks never before available in remastered form or simply appearing for the first time on one of their compilations. Its why Paul’s drawn our attention to what’s included here.

26. Michael khalsa says:

Prince is one my favourite artists would love remastered versions but this tracklist & the edits would mean probably not worth buying for me.

27. Andreas says:

Looks like whatever record labels do, people will always complain. If they put album versions on, people want the single mixes. If they put single mixes on, people want the longer album versions. Longer album version means you’ll get fewer songs on a 2 disc compilation.
    If you’ve already got the albums, make your own mix/match version of desired album/7 inch versions. Technology is at your finger tips. It couldn’t be easier.

• Michael khalsa says:

No would just prefer some real care. Would be pretty simple to do a great Prince compilation. The Ultimate one I liked the Hits 3 CD the sound is not very good.

• Randy Metro says:

@ Andreas: Agree with you 100%. I make my own fabulous compilations. Never any whining at my house.

28. Donald Marshall says:

So happy it’s the edit version of let’s go crazy….love that edit start.

29. Kevin says:

In semi-related news, Warner Bros. have released a set containing Prince’s three movies (Purple Rain, Under the Cherry Moon, and Graffiti Bridge) on blu-ray. The packaging promises “dramatically improved video and audio”—but the sound quality of the musical performances in Purple Rain is horrible. It sounds as though they were recorded with one of those boom boxes with “automatic level control”—it’s especially obvious on “Let’s Go Crazy” and “Computer Blue” (and slightly less obvious on “Purple Rain”). It’s been long enough since I’ve seen it that it could just be that way on the soundtrack, but you’d think that they would take the extra time to clean up the audio as long as they were working on the image (the picture quality is very good).

30. Colin M says:

There’s also a 1 disc version up on Amazon.com…

31. MrMaxwell says:

Already over 50 comments and this is just the first greatest hits release – imagine how comments once Purple Rain Deluxe Edition is announced!

Obviously in the grand scheme of Prince releases this package is a drop in the ocean but really all the estate could manage with Warner Bros in time for the Christmas shopping season. One would think that Warner Bros are in pole position when it comes to moving forward as the sole Prince distributor but only time will tell.

I’m sure many will agree we still don’t know who will be responsible for curating the vault and putting forward new releases for the fans who already have everything – official or otherwise. Bring on the much- celebrated August 3, 1983 First Avenue show!

32. Rolo says:

This should be released on viny as well…gotta have it!

33. FurryGuardianAngel says:

No Prince edit is superior to its full-length original version.

Personally I think it’s a travesty that Let’s Go Crazy’s full intro & When Doves Cry’s full coda section will not be present on this – which will be many peoples’ introduction (and maybe go-to collection) to his work. To a slightly lesser extent, 1999, Alphabet St, Sign “O” The Times etc suffer from being hacked down to size but I understand the necessity and it’s probably more important to get a many of his brilliant songs on there as possible.

Vinyl box would be lovely too. And original 1982 Moonbeam Levels, please…

34. Kcool says:

I wish this whole set was remastered! Don’t we diehard fans deserve that since we been waiting for DECADES!?

35. Richard Littler says:

The good thing about including edits is that it keeps the casual listener happy, the hardcore fans get alternate versions of the tracks on CD and let’s face it, people are more likely to dig out the albums to get the original ‘album versions’ if they really get into his music. Hopefully a 1994-2016 compilation will emerge at some point.

36. baward says:

“The Crown Jewels” is still the best title for a Prince compilation, someone at WB back then clearly had a sense of humour!

37. John says:

Glad they’re including the 7″ versions of Girls & Boys, Alphabet St., Glam Slam & 7. But Warmers PLEASE include Anotherloverholenyohead and I Wish U Heaven!!

Anotherloverholenyohead was a bigger hit than Mountains in the UK, but not in the USA which is probably why the latter has got the nod.

• John says:

Aye probably Paul, Mountains is a better song too in my humble opinion. Personally, I’d prefer to have them both though, Prince in his prime. Ditch Gotta Stop (Messin’ About). Probably too late for amendments now anyway… Still, looking forward to it!!

38. Rob says:

I have read somewhere that the Purple Rain Deluxe Edition will be remastered. Is this greatest hits compilation also remastered ?

39. Michelle says:

NPG
    Partyman ??

40. John says:

Glad to see the Alphabet Street edit, that is after all the version in the video. When Doves Cry edit is a crime, even the video is for the FULL song. 1999 edit is understandable although I always feel the full length should be on any best of.

It would have been a good time for the UK 12″ extended version of Pop Life to get an official CD release as well, missed opportunity there.

Have they wrangled this onto being on Spotify?

41. Charlie Waffles says:

Looks like Warner Brothers is starting to ruin Prince’s music. I would gladly pay more for the full versions on a three disc release. What a shame…

• Paul English says:

The full versions are already available on the albums. Because they’ve included single edits here, I’ll be buying.

• Henry W says:

That’s a bit harsh…plenty of single edits used on The Hits which presumably Prince had some sort of approval over and I don’t remember anyone saying Prince was ruining his own music by doing so!
      I’d argue that whilst the full versions are in most cases far superior to the edits, there’s absolutely a place for the edits on a greatest hits – it’s what most people got to hear on the radio at the time. It’s not as if the original albums are unavailable.

42. Jay says:

John – there was the extended Fresh Dance Mix of Pop Life on the Ultimate Prince compilation back in 2006 if you’re looking for that on CD. It has some other first time on CD 12″ versions too.

I think overall it’s not a bad compilation. WB were never going to make everyone 100% happy but this hits a few good spots for most. Though a couple unreleased tracks would have been better!

43. Jay says:

…Although appreciate that the UK 12″ mix of Pop Life is still unreleased on CD.

44. Danny says:

Is I Would Die 4 U single version actually longer than on the Purple Rain album?

Some of the edits work well actually, like Uptown, Controversy, Delirious. Can’t wait for the edits of Alphabet St. & Girls And Boys!

• John says:

Only very slightly Danny, the 7″ version has about 8 secs longer at the end with an “echo” finish, instead of going straight into Baby I’m A Star like the album version does.

• Danny says:

Thanks, now I remember!

What about Kiss, are they really going to use the album version with abrupt ending? I thought the longer single version would be a given for that one…

45. Mark Franklin says:

I was hoping for the edit of Gold but it’s not here sadly. Not a bad track listing but like others have said, some of the edits aren’t good at all.

46. jon says:

ill stick with the hits/b-sides, still the best collection of Prince

47. Phil Wilson says:

Now available for £10 on Tesco.com, may be only for UK buyers though (in that they only deliver to the UK)

48. Rob Wilson says:

The Little Red Corvette edit was commercially available on the Backtrax series https://www.discogs.com/Prince-1999-Little-Red-Corvette/release/2787645

49. Steve says:

Any true fan would have all the album versions, and yes 1999, Doves, and Corvette are better in their original full length versions, but as a long standing fan I have wanted official digital versions of these previously unreleased single versions forever! So personally I’m very happy that so many 7″ versions have been included.

For me the only travelsty is the omission of tracks from Come and Gold Experience including of course the Most Beautiful Girl. Warner never acknowledge tracks from that era on these compilations.