More Pet Shop Boys ‘Further Listening’ deluxe reissues and vinyl LPs

The Pet Shop Boys will quickly follow up their ‘Catalogue’ July reissues with two more ‘Further Listening’ multi-disc sets of Yes and Elysium – the last two albums Neil and Chris issued in the Parlophone era.

Yes was originally released in 2009 and was produced by Brian Higgins and Xenomania. A limited edition two-CD version was issued at the time, which included a song called This Used to Be the Future, which featured Philip Oakey, amongst the bonus tracks.

This is amongst the bonus content on the new three-CD deluxe edition of Yes – newly remastered, like the album itself. Other content of note is a previously unreleased monitor mix of The Loving Kind, a song which became a Top 10 hit for Girls Aloud, as well as previously unreleased demos of songs from the 2010 Young Vic theatre production, My Dad’s A Birdman.

Elysium is the other album being reissued as a Further Listening set. This is a two-CD edition. The original special edition from 2012 was the most boring of all the PSB’s ‘specials’, just including an instrumental version of the album.

None of those instrumentals feature on the new reissue of what Neil Tennant describes it as “the Pet Shop Boys’ most beautiful album”. Content on the new set includes previously unreleased demos entitled Vocal, She Pops and In Slow Motion, as well as PSB mixes and remixes of Leaving and Memory of the Future.

Packaging will be consistent with the earlier reissues, which means the bizarre choice of a ‘fatbox’ 3CD set for Yes. Both of these albums are being reissued on vinyl, too. There is no word on when the remasters of the original 2001 ‘Further Listening’ will be reissued. Next year seems likely now, although Warners may choose to sneak them out in late November or early December, to capitalise on the Christmas market.

Yes and Elysium are reissued on 20 October 2017.

Pet Shop Boys

Yes - 3CD deluxe edition

FNAC fr 6LP coloured vinyl box 19.99

Pet Shop Boys

Elysium - 2CD deluxe edition

FNAC fr 6LP coloured vinyl box 17.99

Pet Shop Boys

Yes - vinyl LP

FNAC fr 6LP coloured vinyl box 19.99

Pet Shop Boys

Elysium - vinyl LP

FNAC fr 6LP coloured vinyl box 19.99

Yes: Further Listening 2008-2010 / 3CD Deluxe

Disc: 1
1. Love etc. (2017 Remastered Version)
2. All Over the World (2017 Remastered Version)
3. Beautiful People (2017 Remastered Version)
4. Did You See Me Coming? (2017 Remastered Version)
5. Vulnerable (2017 Remastered Version)
6. More Than a Dream (2017 Remastered Version)
7. Building a Wall (2017 Remastered Version)
8. King of Rome (2017 Remastered Version)
9. Pandemonium (2017 Remastered Version)
10. The Way It Used to Be (2017 Remastered Version)
11. Legacy (2017 Remastered Version)

Disc: 2
1. Gin and Jag (2017 Remastered Version)
2. This Used To Be the Future (with Phil Oakey) [2017 Remastered Version]
3. We’re All Criminals Now (2017 Remastered Version)
4. Gin and Jag (Frisky Mix) [2017 Remastered Version]
5. Beautiful People (Demo) [2017 Remastered Version]
6. My Girl (2017 Remastered Version)
7. The Loving Kind (Monitor Mix)
8. Love etc. (PSB Mix) [2017 Remastered Version]
9. Did You See Me Coming? (PSB Possibly more mix) [2017 Remastered Version]
10. The Former Enfant Terrible (PSB Bring It On Mix) [2017 Remastered Version]
11. Up and Down (2017 Remastered Version)
12. Pet Shop Boys “Brits” Medley (2017 Remastered Version)

Disc: 3
1. I Cried for Us (2017 Remastered Version)
2. It Doesn’t Often Snow at Christmas (New Version) [2017 Remastered Version]
3. All Over the World (New Version) [2017 Remastered Version]
4. Viva la Vida/Domino Dancing (Christmas EP Mix) [2017 Remastered Version]
5. My Girl (Our House Mix) [2017 Remastered Version]
6. Leaving (Demo) [2017 Remastered Version]
7. Together (2017 Remastered Version)
8. Glad All Over (2017 Remastered Version)
9. The Dumpling Song (Demo from ”My Dad’s a Birdman”)
10. Wings and Faith (Demo from ”My Dad’s a Birdman”)
11. Night Song (Fan Club Download 2010)

Elysium: Further Listening 2011-2012 / 2CD deluxe

Disc: 1
1. Leaving (2017 Remastered Version)
2. Invisible (2017 Remastered Version)
3. Winner (2017 Remastered Version)
4. Your Early Stuff (2017 Remastered Version)
5. A Face Like That (2017 Remastered Version)
6. Breathing Space (2017 Remastered Version)
7. Ego Music (2017 Remastered Version)
8. Hold on (2017 Remastered Version)
9. Give It a Go (2017 Remastered Version)
10. Memory of the Future (2017 Remastered Version)
11. Everything Means Something (2017 Remastered Version)
12. Requiem in Denim and Leopardskin (2017 Remastered Version)

Disc: 2
1. Vocal (Demo)
2. She Pops (Demo)
3. Inside (2017 Remastered Version)
4. In Slow Motion (Demo)
5. Listening (2017 Remastered Version)
6. Hell (2017 Remastered Version)
7. The Way Through the Woods (Long Version) [2017 Remastered Version]
8. I Started a Joke (2017 Remastered Version)
9. In His Imagination (2017 Remastered Version)
10. Leaving (Believe In PSB Remix) [2017 Remastered Version]
11. Leaving (Side By Side Remix) [2017 Remastered Version]
12. Leaving (Freedom Remix) [2017 Remastered Version]
13. Memory of the Future (New Single Mix) [2017 Remastered Version]

108 responses to More Pet Shop Boys ‘Further Listening’ deluxe reissues and vinyl LPs

1. Auntie Sabrina says:

This Used To Be The Future is the only bonus track from the 2009 limited edition Yes CD on this new version then?

2. Happy to see these, although I shall be waiting for them to appear on PledgeMusic as they were by far the better deal on the last batch :-)

• David Allardice says:

They were a far better deal but I didn’t get the last lot from PledgeMusic until 2.5 weeks after release and having to chase them…

• Straker says:

Prices were about level with Amazon by the time postage was added.

….

“Leaving” is up there with Being Boring as far as I’m concerned, Masterpiece.

3. Simon Baxendale says:

Great that they’re re-issuing the albums for the extra content but just cannot understand the need to remaster an album released in either 2009 or 2012….

• Craig Hedges says:

I’ll second Simons point, isn’t this taking the p***
      Bought the special editions and all the singles at the time so I’ve got 95% of the tracks.

• Aevion says:

Can’t say I understand the remastering of these two either, especially Elysium which for me has some of the best sound of any PSB album. Although if the stunning sound quality of the 2017 reissue of Release is anything to go off, hopefully Yes will sound crystal clear. Pretty good selection of bonus tracks as well. Shame about the strict band-only mixes rule, because I for one would kill to see the HappySad mix of Winner on Elysium.

Really not keen on the fatboxes either. A box like Elysium and Format I think would be better for these reissues, or even casebound books (although I know this would be freakishly expensive I think it would be a great medium for the fantastic booklets).

• Jakob says:

Yeah, I was really disappointed with how ugly the Nightlife and Release packages ended up being. I agree, for the 3 disc albums they should’ve gone with the clamshell box even if it isn’t the same O-card format as the other FL releases.

• Don says:

As I have noted in thread after thread since these were announced, it’s quite possible to put 3 CDs in a slimline jewel case and have all the 3CD sets in exactly the same packaging format as the 2CD versions. Neil and Chris and Farrow clearly aren’t taking my advice.

• Mike the Fish says:

Yes really needs remastering. It’s horribly compressed, and largely seems to stay at the same level whether at a more active or more calm part of the track. The vinyl sounds okay in itself, but dull compared to the CD.

4. Ross Baker says:

Marvellous! Although yes, the choice of using fatboxes is pretty bizarre. Can’t remember the last time I even saw one of those being used for anything less than big 5CD VA comps.

• Matthew James says:

I don’t usually participate in fat shaming, but the fat box must go. There are triple and quad jewel cases that would work fine for this series since there is a slipcase and the book doesn’t go into the jewel case.

• Dan says:

If they were released in cardboard sleeve i.e. Purple Rain, people would be complaining too, there’s no pleasing,

• CJ Feeney says:

I like Fatboxes, I have bought some for my vinyl rips of box sets. I like jewel cases generally as they are easily replaced. Card sleeves can’t be replaced once damaged and the dust covers I get or them only protect to a point.

• Jon says:

Dan, one of the reasons I read the comments here is to see how many people quickly nitpick everything about every release. Sometimes it makes me weep for humanity.

People do nitpick (human nature, I guess), but they also heap praise on great sets and flag things to fellow music fans. Overall I always enjoying reading people’s comments on this forum!

• Michael says:

Yes there is. If they wanted the series to remain Completely Consistent, they’d package the 3 disc editions into a classic, slim jewel case, which is easy to do. Those fatboxes are unnecessary and plain ugly.

I’m seriously disappointed, after the negative feedback on NIGHTLIFE and RELEASE, they’re doing it for YES.

5. Kauwgompie says:

This is good news. The original bonus cd from Yes Etc. only has 1 song (This Used To Be The Future) that is on this new Further Listening version. The other 6 songs are dub remixes and remain unreleased on Yes Further Listening. There is also a rare megamix of the Yes album that was included on some versions of the Yes Etc (as a third disc). That megamix is also not on the Further Listening version.

Also there are no instrumental versions on Elysium Further Listening so the entire bonus disc on the original version of Elysium remains unreleased on Further Listening.

• Albais says:

What about the Elysium bonus track for Japan The Way Through The Woods? On FL is named Long Versión so is a different one included on álbum ommiting original one in both versions?

6. Stuart Russell says:

Looking forward to ‘Yes’ as the track listing looks pretty comprehensive and, more importantly, interesting, however even though I’ll buy Elysium it definitely looks like the runt of the Further Listening litter as evidenced by 3 remixes of Leaving (4 versions overall).

My lack of anticipation is probably not helped by the fact that Elysium is the weakest of all of their albums, in my humble opinion – although this represents a good opportunity to re-evaluate it.

I know the Further Listening sets will only cover their Parlophone years, however it’d be good to see both Electric and Super expanded in a similar format in the future (plus any future works).

• CJ says:

I had a similar opinion of Elysium until I revisited it a couple months ago, and I found that it’s much better than I originally gave it credit for. It’s very subdued though, in comparison to the rest of their catalog, so I think it’s one of those album’s you need to be “in the right mood” for.

• Craig Hedges says:

I hated Elysium when I first heard it, still didn’t like it on second listen… and then on the third listen I fell in love with the album and listen to it constantly. The Electric came out and I hated it … and I’ve listen to that several times and I still hate it.
        Not over keen on Super, apart from Into Thin Air which is one of the best things they have ever done IMO.

7. Mar Wolfgang says:

I actually like the instrumental version of Elysium, the version of Leaving is much better than the official one.

8. Trash says:

Have to disagree with your ‘boring’ comment Paul. I love Elysium but even more, I love the instrumental version of the album. I find I play it more than the vocal album which means that it gets played a lot more than most bonus CDs that I own.

But I gather Elysium was not a popular album amongst PSB fans anyway…

9. Kauwgompie says:

Yes Further Listening does contain all the 5 songs from the Christmas EP.

10. les says:

Im surprised that they are releasing these so quickly after the last batch. I thought after waiting so long for them to appear initially it might be a drawn out process. Every 3 months suits me fine, and my wallet!
    YES on vinyl is definitely worth a buy as original copies go for £80+ online,
    cant wait for the reissue of Very & Bilingual, my 2 personal faves.

11. bertielego says:

I wish the instrumental version of the entire Yes album would be included as fourth CD. It is at the moment only available on vinyl:

• Richard says:

I really should learn by now never to buy every PSB release, as they inevitably turn up on sets like these down the line… Anyway, to reply to Bertielego there is a Brazil promo CD of the Yes instrumentals which in the scheme of their promo releases is neither too hard or that expensive to track down. And is a great listen.

12. Groover says:

It may be worth holding fire on buying from any online retailers as we could hopefully see a couple more 12″ x 12″ art prints coming free with copies bought instore in HMV, just like the 3 from last month. HMV’s CD prices were just the same as Amazon anyway so all you lose out on is the Autorip digital copies.

• Dan says:

I’ll be buying from HMV store purely because I didn’t get my Amazon order until a week later, even though I preordered when announced, I returned them to amazon and went to HMV and got the prints.

• Gareth Pugh says:

According to someone on a well-known PSB forum, Community, HMV are repeating the free prints offer here, again for in-store purchases when you buy both albums at the same time.

13. Neil Kelly says:

Was hoping for ‘The Brits medley’ and the 2 ‘My girls’ and we get them! Purchased with ALL the previous ‘Furthur ilstening’ sets (all on day 1)!!

14. daveid76 says:

I suppose we were very spoiled by Nightlife and Release so this will pale in comparison. They probably should have held back Fundamental for batch 2 to even out the discs. Generally I’m fairly pleased. Glad Yes is a 3CD and that the Brits medley is included as I wasn’t expecting that. Shame there aren’t more demos but at least we have TLK and the Birdman tracks (wasn’t expecting them). Elysium was never going to have much, and indeed it doesn’t but at least we get She pops and In slow motion. I suppose they will hold stuff back in case there’s an Electric FL some day. People who are disappointed by the Elysium FL should reflect that it covers a shorter time period, most of its leftover tracks became the”Electric” album less than a year later and also it is still better than most of the original 2001 FLs, having two unheard tracks. Of the original six only Introspective managed this.

15. Edu says:

Where is After the Event?????

16. Pim says:

I wonder if Elysium will include the instrumentals on vinyl (as per the original vinyl), or if it’ll be just the album itself?

17. Nate says:

Very much looking forward to the material. However, I am still unclear as to why digitally made albums less than a few years old need to be remastered?!?

18. Gary Hunter says:

EDU, “After The Event” is on the Fundamental Further Listening CD……

19. Stevie B says:

6 unreleased tracks (half from the truly awful ‘Birdman’ musical)…over 5 CD’s?!!! Shocking value for most PSB fans who will have everything already but dreading the release of ‘The Dumpling Song’ and with possibly the worst lyric of any songs ever… ‘Night Song’…

‘And we will be happy
    like a soft, new-washed nappy’

• daveid76 says:

You don’t have to buy it or listen to that track if you don’t want to. It’s not like you’re going to be shot in the morning.

• Stevie B says:

I’m commenting on the fact that as a fan I’ve bought everything on here at considerably more than this box set and as such it would be nice to have something more than some shoddy second rate tunes. If you haven’t spent on the CD albums, Singles and Downloads at the time of release then this is a bargain but for a FAN it’s a disappointment. As for the shooting comment…Get a grip!

20. Raymond van Heusden says:

All packed in awful digipack.

21. Soren says:

Fatbox I like it (:

22. bob says:

Has anyone heard anything about the future box set release ‘with everything’?
    If the box is the entire Further Listening series then I would rather wait for that than purchase CDs separately.

23. Mark says:

I’m sure I’ll buy both cd sets and Yes on vinyl. I’m not sure I need the remastered Elysium on vinyl as I already have the 2LP set with instrumentals and I think it sounds very good – noticeably better than the original cd. On that subject, unless the original mixes are as compressed as the original masters, it would certainly be possible to produce much better re-masterings of both these albums on cd with more dynamic range, but we know that won’t happen based on the last batch and Neil’s statement that he think it is better to make things louder (which of course makes no sense – that’s what the volume knob is for).

24. Alan says:

Surely the remastering of these two fairly recent albums is purely to try and re-invent the wheel? Every few years, a remastering job done and the previous one described as not good enough. Or not loud enough as Neil would have it.

I got the last batch from HMV. Amazon no longer competitive on price, often don’t package them properly and usually arriving late.

25. Rick Marino says:

• Aevion says:

That’s okay, that one will be reissued with the other pre-Nightlife albums later this year or next, with improved sound quality (hopefully).

26. tim says:

No Yes on CD for the states? Weird that Amazon has the vinyl but not the cd.

27. Julian says:

Pre-orders of the digital version are currently not receiving the pre-release tracks – they are ‘stuck’ in the system. Frustrating. I hope they fix it soon.

28. Jopla says:

Well, I’m still waiting for my copies from the previous pledge….

29. probablyrustin says:

The Yes release looks great, although I’m again left wondering (as with Nightlife) if more could have been added – the discs do have quite a bit of empty space. I’m not as against the fat boxes – are they really so terrible other than being large? I’d prefer them to triple digipaks that always get creased, and would be inconsistent with the jewel cases used for the rest of the series.

Elysium, much like the album itself, really doesn’t interest me. The bonus disc is objectively paltry – there weren’t any more demos for what would have become Electric? I was under the impression that more of it was recorded in that period (making a potential Electric reissue overlap with the Elysium timeframe). They did come out in fairly rapid succession (surprisingly so), but unless a reissue of Electric is planned, I get the sense that it’s an incomplete story. I think I’ll pass on this one.

30. Rui says:

Hey guys.

Can anybody tell me if there remasters are digipacks or jewel cases?

31. Kevin Henry says:

Yes and Elysium are both great albums for which I bought the double CDs upon release also the CD singles that thankfully the PSB still release.

This Used to Be the Future is one of their great songs and why it did not appear on the album (a bit like the magnificent shameless) is beyond me and meant so many people not hearing it. Yes is worth buying just for Legacy which to my ears is just incredible. A great show in Manchester .

I can’t understand why A Certain Je Ne Sais Quoi and Baby are not on the new Legacy as they are both great tracks.

Good to see the It Doesn’t Often Snow at Christmas making an appearance. It should have done better as a single.

Also good to see the Brits medley.

32. mike says:

My favourite two of the latterday five. Elysium is a beautiful album, cant understand why it isnt rated. Yes, pure pop xenomania pleasure and The Loving Kind at last! Amazon can get stuffed this time, HMV for the prints!!

33. shaboo says:

“And yet the 1st album Please (Further Listening 2CD edition) is out of print & overpriced on Amazon & Discogs”

That’s exactly the reason it will be re-released very soon, so what’s the problem?

34. Mike says:

One thing about fatboxes is the CDs (some or all) always come loose inside. I think this time I’ll wait for other options after seeing the poor protection of the shipments from the Official Store (bubbles underneath, then the items, and then just close the box). I wonder if any of you had a problem with this, I even received them with the cardboard bent on the front. Regarding the instrumentals, I’m ok with the non inclusion of these, because I realize that the instrumental is not priority in the PSB catalog (unfortunately). Only ‘Yes’ and ‘Elysium’ had its entirely album this way. Although of course, the non inclusion of ‘Yes’ instrumentals hurts more because of the extremely limited Vinyl Box, and the dubious bootlegs.

35. Ern says:

It makes sense to remaster these last two Parlophone releases so that when the first six newly remastered albums are released, the sound quality is consistent throughout all 11 albums.
    Having been impressed with the remastering of the first batch that recently came out, I am looking forward to an improved audio experience for these two albums.

36. Barry says:

Like bob, I’d like to know more about the complete box set.

As tempted as I am by some of these, I won’t buy until that’s announced. Hopefully that’s not far away given the timelines between the first two batches – maybe Q1/Q2 next year? Fingers crossed.

37. CJ says:

So glad these are coming out now. I was worried there would be a long wait, and I am not patient.

38. mick lynch says:

Is Je T’aime on any of the further listenings. I have it on a cd single?

• Aevion says:

Apparently they don’t consider that one a true PSB song, so unfortunately it’s not on any of these Further Listening albums, nor is it on Format.

39. Michael says:

Anyone else notice the Memory Of The Future b-side One Night was included on Fundamental FL instead of Elysium FL? Curious..

• Javier says:

It was included because they composed it for Kylie Minogue after Fundamental, so it belongs to the period of time of that album. But Kylie didn’t use it and the Boys released their original (and fantastic) version as a B-side of Memory Of The Future.

40. OceanBlue says:

Is
    Love etc. (PSB Mix) [2017 Remastered Version]
    the same as
    Love Etc. (Pet Shop Boys Sex Mix)
    ?

41. Steven says:

Paul, I want to say I recently found this site and love it. I’ve found more great releases I didn’t know existed though admittedly it is painful in the wallet. Thank you so much for everything you do. I can’t wait for these releases. I would have never found these if it weren’t for you. I love the most recent 3 they released. Can’t wait for more. Cheers!

42. Glenn says:

Excited about these. Great to see the three PSB Leaving promo-only mixes being released.

43. Charles says:

I’ve been on a huge Pet Shop Boys kick since the last reissues were released. I dropped out after being disappointed with Disco 2 back in the day. I was only able to get the first three of the original Further Listening series before the prices went crazy so can’t wait to get Behaviour, Very and Bilingual.
    In the meantime I’ve been collecting the limited versions (Relentless, Fundamentalism, etc.) of the rest of the albums and enjoying the heck out of reading the liner notes of the Further Listening series. I missed a lot of great music. Thanks to Paul for all the great info.

44. Jason says:

Does anyone know when the rest of the further listening CDs and LPs will be released or are they all going to be trickled out 2 or 3 at a time?

• probablyrustin says:

I would imagine they will all be released as a batch in time for the holiday market to capitalize on higher sales. They were originally released in one batch in 2001, and since they are essentially just new pressings of the same reissues (plus some “remastering”) thee isn’t quite the same need to space them out and give them more distinct promo pushes. But we’ll see. I’d be kind of surprised to see any other strategy.

45. Straker says:

Anyone know if HMV are still doing the art prints with the recent three FL releases?

46. David McCallum says:

Farrow Design is usually very thorough but these fatboxes seem to have thrown them. The one and only spine of all these FL releases with any imagery from the cover is Nightlife. Release was a silver/gray (grey) and Yes will be an off-white.

47. Witkin says:

Thank you, yet again we save a good £4/5 on the vinyl with a pre order. I don’t care what anyone thinks about the Xenomania stuff, I’m bloody excited isn’t it. #yes

48. Anthony Hesseltine says:

Although I won’t be buying these last two in physical form because I have all but a handful of tracks, I appreciate the fact that they are doing this. When you compare these releases to other “deluxe sets”, they are far superior in their detailed and thoughtful approach.

Admittedly, when I first heard Elysium, I was baffled at the tone of the album, especially after a stellar album like “Yes”. When it was later revealed that the album was created as a response to ending their Parlaphone deal, I listened to it again and realized the genius behind it. The lyrics alone have a great sense of humor and it made sense after all.

Taking a step back, PSB has from day one approached music through the eyes of being music fans themselves through the attention to detail in packaging, formats and projects. I’m not saying I like every single one of their songs but I appreciate how good they have been to their fans.

49. Christophe Moreau says:

Well…
    Did anyone notice the cover on the PSB Official site ?

It has the same kind of cover art of the deluxe reissues , but with a new photograph and, instead of a name of the album, “catalogue”….
    Doesn’t it looks like there will be afterward a full box set with all the “catalogue” reissues ?

I could see this being a cover to a ‘full box’… Maybe they’ll sell empty boxes too, for people who’ve bought individual releases?

• bob says:

That would be a great cover for the box set. I can easily see this happening and as you say they might sell just the empty box for those who have already bought individual albums.
        Of course the record company would sell just an empty box, maybe not in record shops but to order on line. Let’s face it they sell t-shirts, mugs and God knows what else so why not a nice empty box to store your albums, they will still make money from it.

50. Mike says:

sorry but the idea of ​​selling an empty box seems absurd, I do not know if some other artist has made it that way, but I do not think that’s the case with PSB, and less with the current marketing plan of Parlophone.

• Straker says:

Blank & Jones sell an empty box for their S080s range. $15 or euros IIRC.

• Mike says:

Thanks, I just remembered that U2 dvd box (the one from the best 1990-2000 with the bisons cover) which included an empty space for another promo that came separately with the audio CDs.

51. James W says:

As I recall The Cure sold an empty box too, some 20 odd years ago, for the CD singles from the wish album.

52. Shane says:

Paul I’m surprised by the lack of air quotes for “most boring” and “bizarre”.
    I’m sure the Pet Shop Boys knew and know what they are doing so you say those things about artists.

I know they know what they are doing… and what they did with Elysium’s bonus disc was boring. That’s my opinion.

53. Merlin Hay says:

I suspect part of the reason for the upcoming RE-release of the first six Further Listening has to do with the Warner Brothers purchase of EMI in 2013 (with Parlophone owned by EMI). Warner Brothers likely wants a return on this investment. Now that PSB have their own label, X2, (starting with ‘Electric’ in 2013). Warner Brothers cannot make any money from anything after Elysium (the last PSB/Parlophone album released in 2012, before the Warners/EMI deal).

Neil Tennant on 30 April 2013:
    “Electric (and all future releases by us) will be released on our own new label through Kobalt Label Services. The label is called x2 (Times two). Chris thought of the mathematically inspired name. Maybe we’ll also release music by other artists on it in the future. Anything is possible. Neil x”

Which is fine with me because I love the Further Listening series and I picked up the recent three (Nightlife, Release, Fundamental), and I will pick up the last two as well to go with the original six released in 2001. The design and the content are fantastic. I am not sure I will RE-buy the first six, but if the mastering really is that much better… I probably will because I am an obsessive music collector.

…yeah, but the ‘fat boxes’ are a bit odd. Maybe this is more for marketing so consumers can “see” the third disc at the store.

54. Ant Heron says:

I never want to hear Ego Music ever again! Very disappointed with the Elysium re-issue, might just buy the 3 Unreleased Demos, that would save a fair penny.

55. Deano says:

Re: the combined box set, I wonder whether they will release this with new CDs of the remixes missed from the further listening albums. Even if they only released 4-5 CDs of vinyl rips and released these with the box for £50 as a standalone item (or the full box set seperately), I’m sure this would please many a PSB fan.

What will be amazingly annoying will be if they release the complete box set with additional material which is not available elsewhere. I’d feel let down as a passionate music buyer who’d recently shelled out re buying all the albums again only to find them still incomplete.

56. Stevie B says:

Like many other reviewers I bought most of what’s on these two releases at the time on CD, CD Singles and a Fan Only download. For anyone buying this now they’ve got themselves a bargain as I spent a fortune on the originals which have all been collected here. My only gripe is the lack of anything ‘worthy’ for the ‘SuperFan’ this was also the case with the last three FL releases… so much great unreleased stuff left off (the Closer to Heaven Demos for instance). The amount of ‘bonus’ material on these two releases is shocking (I look forward to fans response to the ‘My Dad’s a Birdman tracks! ).

As any further Further Listenings are standard reissues of the previous versions as Neil said ‘There’s no point in buying the 2017 remastered FL if you have the original FL’s’

… and as regards to the PSB Party Headquarters Diktat as regards PSB ONLY remixes… Fugitive (Richard X Extended Remix) on Fundamental FL?

• Fady says:

@Stevie B, can I just add that there are some odd choices/decisions as to which remixes to include on the Further Listening CDs. For example, the Gui Boratto mix of Love etc. is sensational and IMHO far superior to the PSB mix.

57. Stevie B says:

P.S. In 2011 all the ‘early’ PSB albums were remastered and issued by Parlophone, so technically these early albums when they come out as FL are re-re-mastered re-re-issues. A 2017 remaster of a 2012 digital recording also sounds bonkers too!

58. Michael says:

The Fugitive mix, was the original version they worked on with Richard X, so its not really a remix. It was later edited down to a 7″ edit.
    The Gui Boratto mix was a remix, and therefore excluded from introduction on the Further Listening albums, since only mixes Neil and Chris have worked on are included.

59. Redders says:

HMV are doing the “Limited Edition” print thingy again.

60. Phil Wilson says:

Just picked up the CD versions in HMV, and was delighted to be handed LP sized prints of both covers!