New Year Hi-Res Preview

The Great Rock ‘n’ Roll Swindle / Japanese SHM-SACD

Here is a brief look at some of the Hi-Res releases issued in late December 2013 and January 2014. As you will see, there is a solid selection of ‘High Fidelity Pure Audio’ new releases. For most of these audio-only blu-ray discs it’s probably best to assume they will contain just the tracks from the album without any bonus material, although there is the odd exception (Never Mind The Bollocks does contain bonus material). The Pure Audio discs are largely unavailable in the US and Canada at the time of writing.

The Japanese SHM-SACDs are very expensive but beautifully put together with exquisite vinyl replica packaging that sits within an outer slipcase (see image above). Unlike the Blu-ray discs these are proper limited editions and should at least hold their value. Worth noting that they are not hybrid so they will only play on SACD players.

Let It Bleed / The Rolling Stones

Issued as a ‘Pure Audio’ blu-ray audio

John Lennon / Imagine

Issued as a ‘Pure Audio’ blu-ray audio

Genesis / Selling England By The Pound

Issued as a ‘Pure Audio’ blu-ray audio

Sex Pistols / Never Mind The Bollocks…

Issued as a ‘Pure Audio’ blu-ray audio and a Japanese-only SHM-SACD

The Velvet Underground / White Light/White Heat

Issued as a ‘Pure Audio’ blu-ray audio

Tears For Fears / The Hurting

Issued as a ‘Pure Audio’ blu-ray audio

Lenny Kravitz / Are You Gonna Go My Way

Issued as a ‘Pure Audio’ blu-ray audio

Sam Cooke / Portrait Of A Legend

Issued as a ‘Pure Audio’ blu-ray audio

The Beach Boys / Pet Sounds

Issued as a ‘Pure Audio’ blu-ray audio

Alice Cooper / Billion Dollar Babies hybrid Super Audio CD (SACD)

Alice Cooper / Billion Dollar Babies

Japanese-only SHM-SACD (non-hybrid)

Supertramp / Breakfast In America

Japanese-only SHM-SACD (non-hybrid)

Rainbow / I Surrender

Japanese-only SHM-SACD (non-hybrid)

15 responses to New Year Hi-Res Preview

1. Pingback:The Beach Boys' Pet Sounds finally out on blu-ray audio in April | superdeluxeedition

2. Phil McCracken says:

The CIA is experimenting on using recordings of Jon Anderson’s “Olias of Sunhillow” album played at high volume as a way to extract information from both potential terrorists and US Senate aides.

3. Reginald Dwight says:

Assume a blueray of the Great Rock and Roll Swindle was a joke or a business school project to see if consumers are truly morons. The audio quality of all 12 of the versions I have of this (vinyl, 200 g vinyl, white vinyl, 45 rpm vinyl, 78 rpm vinyl, CD, HDCD, cassette, 8 track, reel to reel, DAT, and SACD)

4. Steve Ferguson says:

Has anyone performed an A/B test between the new Pure Audio and SACD/DVD-A versions of some of these titles? I’d be interested to know if the Blu Rays are better than the corresponding SACD/DVD-As.

I own a bunch of the latter format including Selling England (DVD-A); Pet Sounds (DVD-A); and Let It Bleed (SACD). Obviously I don’t want to buy replacements unless there is a compelling reason to do so. That said, I don’t believe either Imagine or the Pistols have ever been issued in hi-res and I am interested in them.

Any info appreciated.

But seeing as how I am here now… The way in which XTC seems to be going about reissuing its catalogue should be an example to Universal and their Blu-Ray line. Great packaging, new mixes, quality extras.

5. Tony says:

I have some blue-ray discs and the sound is very good better than my NAD CD HDCD player with a very rich bass sound and close vocals on Serge Gainsbourg’s 1971 ALBUM and Ella and Louis 2 on one disc from 1956 and 1957 on Verve music.
    I did listening through a Philips blue ray player in to a tresham tannoy (Scotland) 1984 power amp with all new caps and B&W P5 speakers

6. Pingback:Flagging HMV closes more stores | superdeluxeedition

7. LedMan says:

I will be preordering Genesis and Stones Blu Rays. Hopefully more Genesis and Stones will follow. Probably will order some of these other new and upcoming releases.

Are some of the pics above from the Japanese Platnium series?

Recently ordered and received Cream “Fresh Cream” and Cream “Disraeli Gears” SHM SACDs mono/stereo + bonus and after receiving positive feedback concerning sound quality from collectors who purchased the Rod Stewart, I’m seriously considering picking that up too

Happy Holidays!

Seriously considering Rod too. Not sure whether to go hi-res with SACD or stick with SHM-CD…

• LedMan says:

Paul, If you order Rod on either format, do you mind posting your opinion concerning sound quality? I’m starting to wonder if it’s safe to assume that most if not all of these releases will eventually be available on SHM-CD, SHM-SACD and HFPA Blu-Ray Audio?
        Although the Japanese Mini-LP style packaging is superior, I would probably consider mostly Blu-Ray Audio and especially if the sound quality is the same or similar.

8. Justin says:

I read somewhere that the entire Genesis back catalogue inc both stereo and 5.1 mixes will be released on Blu-ray ‘pure audio’. I’m assuming these will be the Nick Davis remixes from 2007/08.
    Will be interesting to see if that is true.

9. Galley says:

Not really sure why anyone would want an SACD that wasn’t a hybrid.

10. Tim H says:

Have u seen the prices of the Rod Stewart and Supertramp?!?…£50 for a format which from my reading offers no discernable audio benefits over cd. As for the Pet Sounds, as I’ve got it on DVD audio is there any point?…it will be interesting to see if this new release is surround but something tells me not.

• Thomas Hooper says:

I have both and there’s a huge difference in the sound quality. Breakfast in America is by far the BEST. So clear, like it was recorded yesterday. You must not have a good enough system to hear the difference.

• LedMan says:

Thomas H., Do you have Supertramp “Breakfast in America” SHM-SACD and also the “HFPA” Blu-Ray Audio in your collection?
        If so and you don’t mind, can you compare sound quality? Hopefully “Crime of the Century” will be released on both formats in the near future.

• Steven says:

Yes, the new platinum SHM-SACDs discs cost 50 odd quid if you order them through AmazonUK. But if you order direct from the likes of CDJapan it should cost around £30 with shipping (so long as you don’t get clobbered by import duties).