Nick Mason / Unattended Luggage: solo albums box set on CD and vinyl

Pink Floyd co-founder re-presents solo work

As Nick Mason prepares to take his new band (Nick Mason’s Saucerful Of Secrets) on the road, a new pithily titled box set, Unattended Luggage,  brings together his three solo albums, which were all originally issued in the 1980s.

Available as a three-CD or 3LP vinyl package, Unattended Luggage contains the albums Nick Mason’s Fictitious Sports (1981), Profiles (1985) and White of the Eye (1987).

Nick’s solo debut solo album saw him collaborate with a musicians such as Robert Wyatt and Carla Bley, while the largely instrumental Profiles was actually a collaboration with 10cc guitarist Rick Fenn (issued as Mason + Fenn). A couple of tracks on the record do include vocals, such as Lie for a Lie (Maggie Reilly and David Gilmour) and Israel (Danny Peyronel). Finally, White of the Eye was a soundtrack for the British film of the same name, which was directed by Donald Cammell (who was best known for directing Performance with Nicholas Roeg). Again, Mason worked with Rick Fenn on this album, which has never been issued on CD.

Nick Mason says, “These recordings hold a very special place for me in my musical life. Listening back after 30 odd years, I’m delighted they are getting the reissue treatment. I’m rather hoping that sales will be sufficient to damage the market in the original rare vinyl versions!”

Unattended Luggage will be released on 31 August 2018 via Warner Music. Nick Mason’s Saucerful Of Secrets will be touring throughout Europe in September.

Nick Mason

9. Discovery & Recoil
10. Anne Mason
11. Mendoza
12. World of Appearances
13. Sacrifice Dance
14. White of the Eye

39 responses to Nick Mason / Unattended Luggage: solo albums box set on CD and vinyl

1. Owen says:

Yes, I file my Fictitious Sports album under B for Bley too.

Great album though, regardless! I’ll be getting this box.

2. Andy Haines says:

I have FS on a Spanish vinyl release & Profiles on first edition vinyl, but didn’t know about the third album! Not sure I want to spend nearly £70 on the vinyl box though for albums that don’t really warrant more than a couple of plays. FS is a quirky collection of tracks and Profiles is a yawn fest of eighties instrumentals!

3. Jim says:

To be honest I’m only familiar with Mason’s solo work on the Floyd’s “Ummagumma” LP and found it to be the worst sort sort of late-60’s/early-70’s experimental but largely empty what-not. But knowing he is (according to album liner notes) mostly responsible for the found sound effects on the best Pink Floyd albums, I’m really curious to hear these albums. Especially reading the positive comments left on the thread here. I’ve always trusted the folks here on SDE to steer me in the right direction. And 3 discs for US 22 bucks and change? I’m in.

4. movement says:

I have Fictitious Sports on tape somewhere. I couldn’t stand it at the time but I might actually like it now. I have Profiles on CD used to listen to it while playing first person shooters. Now I permanently associate the two together. Never heard the third.

I’ll be getting this, but it would be nice if the US prices were more reasonable. This might be like recent live releases from The Who and Miles Davis where I had to import to save money.

5. Robbie says:

awfully cheap looking cover

6. Sezai Basar says:

I was lucky to order the vinyl version @ £39.91 from Amazon UK.

7. Michael G says:

Have ordered the Cd Box Set definitely worth investigating!

8. johnny feathers says:

I might have to spring for these, though I’ll likely just go digital–I can’t really see the need to have hard copies.

9. Richard Cosgrove says:

Apropos of nothing, but the cover reminds me of Big Country’s The Crossing :-)

10. Top Cat says:

So, are they taking Gary Kemp on the road with them?

11. Rob says:

Will certainly buy this. It is a pity though that he didn’t have Andy Jackson do 5.1 remixes for these. These could sound great in surround. Also, there were a couple of remixes of “Lie For a Lie” that would have made nice bonus tracks for the “Profiles” CD.

Hopefully a similar Richard Wright set will follow someday. (Those definitely need 5.1 mixes!)

12. Ex-Oligarch says:

It’s nice to see these records back in print. Pity nothing has been added to top up the running time of the cds, but the price of the set is reasonable. Perhaps some hardcore fan can tell us if there were any outtakes from these sessions. I don’t believe any of these albums were promoted with live shows.

Mason has a unique drumming style — not flashy, but supremely expressive. Indeed, the utter absence of ostentatious virtuosity was a hallmark of the Floyd and a major factor in their unique sound.

13. Leonardo Lotti says:

I just loved the idea. I am quite pleased and satisfied that Nick is getting the attention and recognition he deserves. Hell, why can only Waters and Gilmour have all the fun? But there are a few things that I would like to know about these reissues! Are they 180g? Were they remastered? Now please, I am only 30 years old, but I am starting to think that a restored concert footage from the Nassau Coliseum concerts in 1988 (Delicate Sound of Thunder) will be released when I am no longer here. Does anyone also remember the La Carrera Panamericana VHS and its original soundtrack by Gilmour, Wright and Mason? ….
    See? Neither do them.

14. Paul Baker says:

Had the first 2 on vinyl . The white of the eye is new to me . Looking forward to this release and the forth comming tour.

15. Michael says:

Well, I had been curious about these. I guess this is my chance now.

16. Rasputin says:

The insider information leak was on June 4

17. Dan T. says:

I never knew he did solo stuff. I know the rest of the guys did (I like Rick’s stuff a lot), but not Nick. Interesting.

You know, people come to PF for different reasons (the guitar, the lyrics, the sound-scapes, etc.), but going to PF for its drumming is something I’ve never heard before. However, I must confess that if Nick were some sort of virtuoso, it would probably distract from the melodious/harmonious aspects of their music, so I’m grateful for his overly simple drumming style.

I’ll check it out!

18. Chris Squires says:

Not got any Nick Mason but I do have a lot of time for the personnel he hangs around with.

I must have seen Rick Fenn and Maggie Reilly on stage at least a dozen times each in the very early 1980s as my early teenage Oldfield obsession kicked in. I also saw Rick Fenn with 10cc on the Windows in the Jungle era at the Odeon in Birmingham as a 16 year old.

I have fallen in love with Rattle that Lock by Mr.Gilmour so might just have a bash at this as well… Spotify have finally got their act together and are back on LG tvs so I know what I will be listening to tonight (if they are there).

19. Mark Turrell says:

This looks great, and is great value. Never owned them on CD, only vinyl. Maybe they could do the same for rick wright. wet dream, broken china and zee’s identity with associated remixes. i know wright hated zee after the fact, but fans would still like to hear the stuff.

20. HalloweenJack says:

Love this man and his sense of humor!
    Nick’s Saucerful of Secrets is great! Check ’em out.
    Long live Floyd!

21. Runicen says:

Very excited for this. Fictitious Sports is a great album and I haven’t had a copy in ages.

Expecting to at least find the other two intriguing.

22. The Golden Age Of _ _ _ _ _ _` _ says:

So this is the Pink Floyd `Game Changer` announcement proclaimed for today zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Who said it was a game changer? It’s a box set.

• Caroline says:

The “game changer” quote comes from a thread on the Steve Hoffman forums Paul, if you can bear to read it.

Anyway, nice to see a fairly-priced CD set alongside the vinyl. Indicates a desire to bring the albums back into circulation rather than the fleece the faithful.

• The Golden Age Of ---- --'- says:

Something I read on the SH blog.

I’m in for the CD box even though I don’t know any of the content.

23. Stephen says:

Great news. Rather fond of Fictitious Sports, which deserves a wider audience.

24. Steven says:

No signed version?

25. Tim Abbott says:

Fictitious Sports is a marvellous album – it’s brilliantly off-the-wall and peculiar. The broader-minded Floyd fan should enjoy it, even if it bears no relation to the band or other solo albums that they’ve put out.

Also, White Of The Eye has never been issued in any form other than a bootleg, despite what the blurb might say.

26. Sam says:

Haven’t heard these albums before. Sounds like this Unattended Luggage will be subject to inspection. Thanks for the news.