Oh Yeh! Paul Weller’s debut album coming to vinyl late this year

weller_debut

The album that kick-started Weller’s renaissance

Paul Weller‘s 1992 eponymous debut album is to be reissued on vinyl LP later this year, having been out of print on the format for over 20 years…

The album would be the foundation for Weller’s massive commercial success in the early/mid nineties with the Wild Wood and Stanley Road albums and was first issued in Japan on Pony Canyon in Spring ’92 (with a slightly different running order and featuring New Thing rather than The Strange Museum) before being released in the UK on Go! Discs in the autumn of the same year.

Three singles were issued from the sixties influenced long-player – Into Tomorrow (credited to The Paul Weller Movement), Above The Clouds and Uh Huh Oh Yeh – with the latter dipping inside the UK top twenty, resulting in an appearance on Top Of The Pops.

paulw_longI absolutely love this record and remember seeing the Pony Canyon version in 1992 in Tower Records at Piccadilly Circus. Pre-internet of course, with no fanfare, there sat a brand new Paul Weller album! The CD singles were all excellent with great bonus material.

The original LP was a gatefold affair with PW’s image ‘sideways’ on the front cover, to allow the full image to wrap around the gatefold. Annoyingly this wasn’t respected on the 2009 two CD deluxe edition, but hopefully will be on this vinyl reissue.

There is no official announcement as yet, but Amazon UK are listing this with an 18 November release date. Wild Wood is also being issued on vinyl on at the same time.

Paul Weller

Clues
Into Tomorrow
Amongst Butterflies
The Strange Museum
Bitterness Rising
Kosmos

17 responses to Oh Yeh! Paul Weller’s debut album coming to vinyl late this year

1. Shaun Harris says:

About The Young Idea: The Very Best Of The Jam [VINYL] Box set ( 28 Oct 2016) is also on Amazon.

2. ken.e says:

Looking forward to this one and hopefully more coming out on vinyl. This was a great record but in my opinion it opened the door for even better albums to come.

3. Dave says:

Loved this album, although I always felt that New Thing was a Style Council left over, perhaps why it was replaced. (for the record I came to Weller from the Style Council, so that was not a SC slur!)

4. Alan Wilson says:

Also Wild Wood is showing up for re-release on the same date (Vinyl)

5. tom says:

Into Tomorrow is a great track, just rediscovered it …thanks.

6. Jon C says:

Yes! It’s about time. I’ve been waiting for these to come out for YEARS! Let’s hope they do them with the quality that will do justice to the artist….and continue reissuing the rest of his solo catalog. It’s perfect for the vinyl format.

7. Kevin says:

Still my favorite Weller LP. Every album that followed was a new level of disappointment. I finally gave up for good after the horribly mastered Wake Up the Nation.

And I prefer the original Japanese edition to the later worldwide edition. “The Strange Museum” (oddly enough, a Weller-Talbot composition) sits uneasily with the rest of the material, unlike the re-recorded “Here’s a New Thing”.

Still, this may be worth looking into.

8. Trash says:

This is my favourite Paul Weller album (as in ‘solo album’). Weirdly enough I bought my copy from Tower records on Piccadily Circus too. It was the Pny Canyon version and I recall being very suspicious at the time because it was not available yet in the UK. However I loved ‘Into Tomorrow’ so much that I decided to take the risk… And have never regretted it. Particularly as I still feel that this version has a superior track listing AND has the wonderful conceit of the sounds of vinyl being turned over halfway through the CD and then a runout groove jump at the end. Still brings a smile to my face.

Got rid of the vinyl of this and Wild Wood when I slimmed down my vinyl collection but will probably have to re-buy.

9. David M says:

And I bought mine at HMV Oxford Circus (CD). Sales assistant told me “he’s going back to guitars!”

10. mike says:

My favourite Weller album, a classic.

11. Simon F says:

Will it still come with it’s original lyric booklet? I still have an original vinyl copy.

12. Josh N says:

FINALLY!! I was a teenager when this album came out, so my introduction to Weller was via catching “Uh Huh Oh Yeah” on MTV in the United States at a very late hour when they still played music videos back in 1993. I had to learn about The Jam and Style Council later. ;)

This record remains my favorite Paul Weller solo album, and is long overdue for vinyl reissue.

13. Vince says:

Can’t wait for this! I remember the initial CD single that came out before the album was great and then the lp was even better! I still rank this as one of his best!