Oleta Adams / Circle of One 2CD deluxe

Remastered • Notes by SDE

Caroline International will reissue Oleta Adams’ 1990 album Circle Of One, in April, as a two-CD deluxe edition.

Adams came in the public eye when she sang and played piano on Tears For Fears‘ 1989 album The Seeds Of Love and, in particular, that album’s second single Woman In Chains. This led not only to Oleta touring with Tears For Fears in 1990, but also to her signing a recording contract with Fontana.

The Circle of One album was co-produced by Roland Orzabal with Dave Bascombe stepping in to finish things off as the Tears For Fears singer-songwriter had to focus on the preparation for The Seeds of Love tour.

In fact, the album features Oleta’s version of song originally written by Roland and Nicky Holland for Tears For Fears; a song called Rhythm of Life. Worked on during the Seeds of Love sessions, the band were never satisfied with their own attempts to do justice to the composition, and despite many attempts, a master version was never recorded.

Oleta’s rendition (as remixed by William Orbit) was issued as a single, along with the title track, but it wasn’t until Oleta’s cover of Brenda Russell’s Get Here was issued as a 45 in early 1991 (around eight months after the album was first released) that Oleta had a big hit single, with the song going top ten on both sides of the Atlantic and propelling the album to the number one spot in the UK charts.

This new deluxe edition is remastered by Andy Pearce and Matt Wortham and gathers up all the B-sides and extra tracks from the various singles and adds a CD of remixes of Rhythm of Life and Circle of One – both of which got different treatments to appeal to various territories and markets.

In the tradition of the last few Tears For Fears reissues, I’m proud to say that SDE has had some involvement with this set. I interviewed Oleta, Roland Orzabal, Dave Bascombe and Nicky Holland last year resulting in an ‘in their own words’ track-by-track guide in the booklet that is included with this double-disc set.

This Circle Of One deluxe edition will be released on 4 May 2018.

Oleta Adams

9 Rhythm of Life – Heavenly Edit
10 Rhythm of Life – Reverend Jefferson’s Choo Choo Dub
11 Rhythm of Life – Reverend Jefferson’s Deeper Rhythm Mix
12 Rhythm of Life – Jules & Skin’s Rhythm Mix

58 responses to Oleta Adams / Circle of One 2CD deluxe

1. mike says:

Now I have it, a very fine set but any clues Paul why the best two versions of Rhythm of Life (Full/Twilight) were omitted please?

2. Todd R. says:

Remember 2019 will be the 30th anniversary of SOL….so new album this fall, rescheduled tour into Spring 2019, SOL SDE box fall 2019, 30 years on……! (just a thought……)

3. Don says:

Got my signed copy from SDE shop. Awesome! I really like the remastering on this. Interestingly, the liner notes contain this curious note: “Due to timing problems the following has to be omitted: Circle of One-Circle Dub/Swing on the Groove Mix.”

It appears the folks who compiled this honestly believe that’s the only omission. No mention of the missing Twilight Version and 12″ Orbit mix of “Rhythm of Life,” which are much more egregious in their absence.

Still, overall this is a great release. The interviews are fantastic Paul!!

4. Chris says:

A while back an article was posted on this site called “Don’t Stream It’s Over”. The article was very interesting and made some good points about Super Deluxe versions of records being made available on streaming sites at the same time as they are released in physical format.

So let’s take this Oleta Adams reissue as an example. I like Oleta and would want to listen to this reissue. However, aside from some very select outlets it is available precisely nowhere.

Why?

Surely, it should be made available on streaming sites in tandem with the physical outlets so that everyone who wishes to hear this album may do so while contributing royalties back to all involved? By not being available to stream this reissue will eventually just fade into oblivion.

So what, exactly is the logic behind this? Those who want to purchase the physical product will always do so, but those who want to stream it should surely be given the option to do so?

Thoughts?

I agree, but keep the bonus material for the physical set only. If you want to stream the remastered album, fine. If you want an expanded version of the album you have to buy the physical set.

• I had to get an Amazon account because nobody could order me the first TFF box reissue (The Hurting)! It’s nothing new. Bad distribution, and the sellers in my area keep getting worse with their selection. Obviously, this does drive people to streaming etc. …

• Chris says:

I am in the US and can’t find a single outlet selling this. Not streaming either. Why, in this day and age, would a label make it so difficult to consume?

• Chris says:

This is still available approximately nowhere to stream. I appreciate there is a certain value in windowing the release for a period of time to physical copies but why at this time isn’t it available to stream?

What is the point in putting the work into remastering and curating this collection if it can only be heard by the most die-hard of fans willing to buy a (pricey) physical copy.

It just doesn’t make sense to me? The only version available to stream is the original release.

Surely the time and love that obviously went into this reissue is worth more than a niche, restricted physical-only windowed release?

The whole thing seems archaic.

Why don’t you want to buy the 2CD, out of interest?

• Chris says:

I’m not interested in remixes, live cuts or 7” versions, so I am not the target market for the 2CD. I am however, like many others, an Oleta fan who would like to hear the remastered version of what I think is a great album.

What I can’t fathom from a business point of view is – why put work into a project and then only make it accessible to a very niche portion of the market?

Put it out there for everyone?

Chris

5. Shannon says:

Any chance of getting any additional signed copies? I ABSOLUTELY LOVE OLETA and would do anything to own a signed copy.

6. RJStevene says:

Sorry but there isn’t anything here which would tempt me to buy. I already have all the tracks I like on cd including the superior Orbit extended mix and the ‘original’ Twilight mix of ROF (which fits so nicely into the track listing of Seeds of Love). Did by the Circle of Life remixes and the ROF remixes from 5 years later ( included here) but only ever listened to them once as they are a million miles away from the acoustic piano sound of Oleta at her best. CD2 is A wasted opportunity to showcase Oleta as a pianist and vocalist rather than as a disco queen.

7. Jopla2 says:

The 12″ version on the 1990 CD is an edit/fade (7:22) of the ‘Full Length Version’ (7:45).

8. Kevin says:

They couldn’t be arsed to include the single version of her biggest -only- hit, “Get Here”?!?!

• Jim says:

That’s now 2 key tracks that are missing.

I know people have different views on this, but when space is limited, I think the focus should be on including all vocal mixes/edits rather than dubs.

I would like to see the two dubs of Rhythm of Life on CD2 removed and replaced by:

Get Here (Radio Edit) 3:27
      Rhythm of Life (William Orbit 12″ Mix) 7:22

9. v16trola says:

Well, well, I never thought I’d see this get the re-issue treatment. I’m thrilled! I wore this album out at the time and the b-sides are excellent too. Some of the remixes are really good too especially the Yvonne Turner mix of Circle of One and the Full Mega/Gospella mixes of Rhythm of Life.

The only admission I would comment on is the Twilight mix of Rhythm of Life which to my ears sounds like the original mix (as the version on the original album is itself a remix, if i remember rightly).

10. Simon says:

You’ve Got To Give Me Room is one of the finest tracks of the 1990s, beautifully understated.

The 1995 remixes of Rhythm of Life are not, in my opinion, inherently bad just different. We are lucky a third-rate rapper wasn’t added.

11. Neil McL says:

Hi Paul,

Any chance of getting any more signed stock?

Thanks

12. Andreas says:

To use your own words Paul, the second disc does looks like hard work!

13. Doug Carey says:

Hey, is there anyway to get a personalized signature? ; )

Oleta is from my town of Yakima, WA. In fact, she graduated from my high school (Davis High School) about ten years earlier than me. Many of our local musicians went to school with her.

Pretty cool connection : )

14. Friso Pas says:

I’m in. Too bad that only a 100 are signed. Missed it, as I’m seeing this just now. Oh well…
    It’s very nice to get this, while we still wait on the Seeds Of Love SDL. Is there any inkling on that ever being released, Paul?

15. Chris R says:

Yes!’ Mine ordered and cannot wait! First time purchase from the SDE Store and could not have been more impressed! Very easy and clear process to go through and will definitely be doing again in the future! Perhaps when the TFF Seeds of Love is finally reissued??? Please, please, please get Roland and Curt to sign some SDE copies and maybe even ask the lovely Oleta to as well!!?? :)
    p.s. I hope Oleta will come back to Seattle for another show soon…her absence is missed :(

Thanks Chris. Very pleased to hear that you found the SDE shop user friendly! Yes, would definitely love to do something similar whenever Seeds of Love finally gets reissued :)

16. Ryan says:

Shame no vinyl. No vinyl, no sale from me sadly.

17. kittens69 says:

Sorry! My bad. Just saw the Gospella mix in the rundown. Great it is there.

18. kittens69 says:

Nice compilation. The Gospella mix of ROL is an odd admission. It’s on the 2000 Danny Tenaglia ‘Back To Mine’ compilation and the 12″ remix if anyone is looking. For me the definitive version; her vocals are just sublime and freed from some of the rather era-specific remixes.

19. mike says:

The missing Rhythm of Life remixes are on the cd single from 1990 so in case of space makes sense but those later mixes are rubbish so double edged sword!!

20. Kauwgompie says:

Damn! Sold out.

21. Steve W says:

I adored this album when it came out alhough & haven’t heard it for years. I must dig it out.

Although… I may just order this version instead! :D

22. Stephen D C says:

Worth it for the first disc. I collected all the versions of Circle Of One & Rhythm Of Life originally [they tried SO many times to make it a hit, bless ’em].

Oleta is criminally overlooked so this is very welcome.

Woman In Chains is my favourite song of all time. If you’ve never heard Oleta on Tears For Fears’ Badman’s Song then you have not lived.

23. Don says:

It would be a shame if the William Orbit 12″ mix (also known as the “Full Length Version”-7:45) didn’t make it on here. It’s kind of the definitive version of the track. The album version/7″ version is just an edit of this.

24. Wow! And released on Oleta’s birthday as well! Also, remastered by Andy Pearce usually means THIS WILL SOUND GOOD, so… very good! That’s a good excuse for the constant delay of “Seeds of Love”. Speaking of which, is the live track from the TFF tour?

25. Don says:

My first order from the SDE shop. Thanks! Now that this album has gotten the deluxe treatment, there is simply no excuse for Universal to keep sitting on the Seeds of Love reissue. Set it free! Set it free!!!!!

26. Kiki says:

That’s great news , definitely !
    Obviously , there are some mixes missing, We could have dream of a 3CDs like Yazz reissue (but then it was also incomplete); I ‘d love to, but, let’s face it, it will never happen…

– Circle Dub(5’23) of “Circle Of One, is missing, as for :
    – Twilight version (4’04) and 12” (7’22) of “Rhythm Of Life”,
    – US promo Edit (3’27) of Get Here
    They would have suit better than Later remixes (If I remember well, The Reverend Jefferson mixes were done 3 or 4 years AFTER the 1st release of the album) , but nothing is perfect in a perfect world !

27. Jan Burnett says:

Bought. Nice one Paul.

28. Todd R. says:

Jaw dropping WOW.
    So happy this is happening – and that SDE has a hand in it all…all that is missing is the SEEDS OF LOVE box and…..
    FANTASTIC.
    TR

29. Ringo Funk says:

Hi all this is the William Orbit remix in full as taken from a CD single, so it shouldn’t be hard to track down and add to the tracklist. Otherwise Paul it would be a huge disappointment a reissue without it …unless there’s licensing issues. Best, RF

30. Darren Jones says:

I have the 12″ and the album and I’m sure they are different versions.

31. Jon M says:

Paul,

No, the William Orbit 12″ mix appears to be missing, which is a shame as it’s a great mix. Any chance you can push Caroline to add this mix to the reissue? As a William Orbit remix collector, I know I for one would love a reissued version of that!

Thanks for adding 100 signed copies to your shop, very nice that she is recognizing SDE readers. Have fun in NY –

Thanks,
    Jon

32. Tony says:

…aaaaaannnndddddd ordered.

33. DJ Control says:

Can’t see the William Orbit 12” mix on there anywhere. Maybe it’s been given a different title? Any ideas SDE?

34. Jon J says:

Cracking album and one long overdue for a reissue. I’ll definitely be getting this.

I would have preferred to see some more of the original remixes (the Twilight version of ‘Rhythm of Life’ and more of the Yvonne Turner mixes of ‘Circle of One’) in place of the inferior 1995 remixes of ‘Rhythm of Life’, but other than that, looks pretty good.

35. Alexandre de Andrade says:

I miss Rhythm Of Life (Twilight Version). Love that version!

36. gogandmagog says:

great….but again, my country is no in the list…I live in South America, it’s nearer than Australia!!!
    Please allow us to buy

37. Neill Rees says:

No Full Length Version by Orbit?