Otis Redding / The Definitive Studio Album Collection / 7LP vinyl box

All the original mono mixes • Great UK pre-order price

Rhino will next month issue The Definitive Studio Album Collection, a seven-LP Otis Redding vinyl box set which features the original mono mixes for all the singer’s studio albums.

The albums included are Pain In My Heart (1964), The Great Otis Redding Sings Soul Ballads (1965), Otis Blue/Otis Redding Sings Soul (1965), The Soul Album (1966), Complete and Unbelievable…The Otis Redding Dictionary of Soul (1966), King & Queen (Otis Redding & Carla Thomas – 1967), and The Dock of the Bay (1968).

All of the LPs replicate the original packaging, from the sleeve artwork to the original record labels (Volt and Stax) and catalog numbers and the records come housed  in a side-loading slipcase.

This set is available for just £67 right now in the UK, so that pre-order price might be worth locking into. It will be released on 1 December in Britain but has a 15 December release date in America and Canada.

Otis Redding

Otis Blue/Otis Redding Sings Soul (1965) mono vinyl LP

Side 5
1. Ole Man Trouble
2. Respect
3. Change Gonna Come
4. Down In The Valley
5. I’ve Been Loving You Too Long (To Stop Now)

Side 6
1. Shake
2. My Girl
3. Wonderful World
4. Rock Me Baby
5. Satisfaction
6. You Don’t Miss Your Water

The Soul Album (1966) mono vinyl LP

Side 7
1. Just One More Day
2. It’s Growing
3. Cigarettes and Coffee
4. Chain Gang
5. Nobody Knows You (When You’re Down And Out)

Side 8
1. Good To Me
2. Scratch My Back
3. Treat Her Right
4. Everybody Makes A Mistake
5. Any Ole Way
6. 634-5789

Complete and Unbelievable…The Otis Redding Dictionary of Soul (1966)
mono vinyl LP

5. Don’t Mess With Cupid

Side 14
1. The Glory Of Love
2. I’m Coming Home To See About You
3. Tramp – Otis Redding & Carla Thomas
4. The Huckle-Buck
5. Nobody Knows You (When You’re Down And Out)
6. Ole Man Trouble

18 responses to Otis Redding / The Definitive Studio Album Collection / 7LP vinyl box

1. David Cornyn says:

Thanks, Paul – this looks great value to me – pre-ordered!

2. Marc says:

Other than being on vinyl I cannot see the benefit of this. Soul Manifesto is far more complete and cheaper.

• David Cornyn says:

Think you’re missing the point – vinyl is exactly the reason many of us will be excited by this! Oh, and it’s mono.

• Marc says:

I’m not missing the point, I’m just stating that it is a high price to pay for a partial collection when a far more expansive set was released on CD and for far less cash. I don’t have my set in front of me but I don’t think the Soul Manifesto set released these as the stereo versions.

3. James says:

pre ordered from amazon.ca – thanks!

4. DAVID BURROWS says:

Love the songs but, nowadays we’re not only supposed to buy vinyl, we’re also supposed to love mono. Sorry but I avoid both .. I have a reasonable surround sound collection . .now that’s the way to hear music .. just wish there were more surround mixes out there ..

• Marc says:

Nearly all his studio work was two-tracked and released in mono. Stax did not have the time/money/skill/equipment to create stereo mixes at the time of original releases. The stereo mixes were all done off the original two-track tapes, I think. Working from old memory here. Apologies if I am incorrect.

• otisredding's_tight_trousers says:

I thought Stax was one of the very few record labels that actually recorded in true stereo, and they did so at exactly the same time as they did the mono – they ran the recordings into both systems at the same time. Could be wrong about that, but I am pretty sure that’s what I’ve heard. The stereo mix is very wide like a lot of 1960s recordings (hence why it’s funny you get people saying the beatles stereo is not authentic – it is authentic, it’s not necessarily great, but it is how lots of people mixed in stereo back in the 1960s). The mono is far far better, though – punchier, better balanced etc…
        It’s a pretty good price for 7 lps
        The only annoying thing about this is that it doesn’t include The Immortal, Love Man and Tell The Truth (all of which are actually my favourite releases)

5. abitoftap says:

Each to their own, but I own both the stereo and mono version of King and Queen. The tracks which were actually recorded in stereo (or more likely just multi track) really don’t sound great in that format. Really wide, LR, empty stage, pretty much like the first couple of Beatles lps. The punchy, musical mono mixes are clearly what the release was meant to sound like.

6. Charlie Waffles says:

Sweet!

7. johnny says:

amazon UK release date now amended to 15 December…

the comment about ‘where’s the surround sound?’, reminds me of people who can’t enjoy an old film like Casablanca, because it was made in black and white! I’ll wait to see it in colourised 3D at the Imax…

• David Cornyn says:

Totally agree, Johnny, I love this site but some people are unnecessarily negative. Without wishing to offend anyone, I find the likes of Phil Collins and George Michael incredibly bland. However, I do not comment on posts about these artists because some people like them and good luck to them. More positivity about music is needed here – Paul does a terrific job and we should generally support any release to encourage companies to produce more box sets!

• DAVID BURROWS says:

fully agree .. but still don’t understand the fascination with vinyl .. why was cd invented in the first place ?? i still remember the first 12 inch single (er Undisputed Truth “you plus me” ) I bought – I couldn’t believe the sound quality I got from that .,. and then when cds came out .. it was like wow where have you been all my life ??

And yes I have plenty of Otis on cd- from Monterey to a Japanese stereo pressing of his “Dock of the bay” set .. all sound incredible and not false stereo ..

I just wonder what the vinyl buyers will think when the covers get tatty (LPs are not easy to store) , and scratches start to appear on the music .. now that’s not good .. plus how much stuff has been released on cd compared to vinyl . .er loads ..

Sorry guys I may be missing something but Otis in mon on vinyl is not for me ..

• Howie says:

I always find it funny when a person who is clearly not into vinyl has to somehow justify why they are not into vinyl. Almost sounding cross that it exists as a medium.

• DAVID BURROWS says:

nope love the original version of “Casablanca” and I’d run a mile from the colourised version ..

8. Benjamin Adams says:

This is a true wow. And right in the middle of the Xmas season, when I need to be spending money on other people. Wonder if I can convince my wife….

9. Seth Onetooth says:

But wouldn’t it be good if the labels that reissue a lot of material and box sets put out drafts of what they propose to release, then see what the experts (ie me and you) have to say and then finalise the product. Just an idea. Inevitably choices still won’t please everyone but it could save some grief (and potentially increase sales).

10. Guided by voices says:

The rhino record store day mono vinyl sounds fantastic. Quiet pressings, excellent sound. The stereo mixes were always weird. Too wide, otis on one side, some random organ too loud on the left. Mono works best for Otis. I’m not sure I need this since I already have 4 of the mono rhino reissues. I mean I’ll buy anyway since for the price it’s a great deal.

Soul manifesto used older masterings and the weird wide stereo mixes. This is the way Otis should be heard. Only wish it had a mop up LP of non album tracks like I Can’t Turn You Loose.