Out This Week / on 12 October 2018

St. Vincent / MassEducation

Elvis / 30 #1 Hits / 2LP gold vinyl

A Certain Ratio / The Graveyard and The Ballroom orange vinyl

A Certain Ratio / “The Graveyard and The Ballroom” orange vinyl pressing

Camouflage / Voices and Images 30th anniversary reissue

Camouflage / Voices and Images 30th anniversary deluxe editions

Elvis Costello & The Imposters return with a new album, ‘Look Now’

Eric Clapton / Happy Xmas

Eric Clapton releases a Christmas album…

Eric Clapton

Happy Xmas CD

HMV uk 6LP coloured vinyl box 10.99

Eric Clapton

Happy Xmas - vinyl LP

HMV uk 6LP coloured vinyl box 24.99

The Monkees / Christmas Party

Another Christmas album, this time from The Monkees! Christmas Party is produced by Fountain of Wayne’s Adam Schlesinger and features new songs written by the likes of Rivers Cuomo, Andy Partridge and Peter Buck. The album features new vocals by the surviving members of the band and vintage recordings of Davy Jones.

The Monkees

Christmas Party CD

HMV uk 6LP coloured vinyl box 9.99

41 responses to Out This Week / on 12 October 2018

1. gwynogue says:

Amazon Australia e-mailed me, saying “Loving The Alien” stock/supply delayed until November. *sigh* As compensation/apology, they gifted me a credit for a grand total of $5. Whoop-dee-bloody-doo. Oh well, at least they didn’t cancel my order like they did with my Howard Jones “Dream Into Action” box. Amazon AU really need to get their shit together with their suppliers because (outside of eBay), Australian music-buyers have few options and they’re all bloody expensive.

• gwynogue says:

I should clarify that I was referring to the CD version of “L.T.A.”.

• Garry Martin says:

I had exactly the same e-mail from Amazon AU for my order. I called customer service and complained and they offered me an additional $15 credit. JB HiFi don’t have any copies, nor do any of the independent retailers I have contacted. I guess there are no copies available in Australia yet. So frustrating

• Leemer says:

From everything I’ve heard about Australia, their troubles with music and Amazon and importing things, it really does sound like a penal colony.

• GentleRabbit says:

It’s certainly felt that way since July for all of us SDE lovers… Still living in hope that something changes, this is a sorry situation re Amazon. Help!

2. Neil says:

Just a heads up that somebody on Ebay is selling the CD’s from the Bowie box separately if you can’t afford to buy the box.

3. Darren English says:

News of the reissue of Badfinger’s two Warner Brothers albums, Badfinger (self tiled) and Wish You Were Here.

Each CD is bolstered with the addition of one unreleased song and an albums worth of alternate takes.

Badfinger releases over the last 25 years have focused on live recordings, demos and Apple studio material. As such it is great to see the Warner material getting an airing.

Badfinger – Badfinger

01. I Miss You
    02. Shine On
    03. Love Is Easy
    04. Song For A Lost Friend
    05. Why Don’t We Talk?
    06. Island
    07. Matted Spam
    08. Where Do We Go From Here?
    09. My Heart Goes Out

15. Dennis – alternate mix 2018
    16. In The Meantime / Some Other Time – alternate mix 2018
    17. Love Time – alternate mix 2018
    18. Meanwhile Back At The Ranch / Should I Smoke – alternate mix 2018
    19. Know One Knows – alternate Single mix 2018

• Larry Davis says:

There were actually 3 Warner albums, counting the unreleased 1975 album “Head First”, and 2 more Warner Music Group records, in also 1979’s “Airwaves” (on Elektra) and 1981’s “Say No More” on Radio Records/Atlantic…looking forward to these two, and hopefully Real Gone does something with these other 3…I’m really stoked to hear the unreleased songs from this period, as “Wish You Were Here” is arguably Badfinger’s finest and defining album, yes even more than “Straight Up” and “No Dice”…if Stan Polley never entered the picture in the first place, Pete and Tom perhaps would still be with us (barring health issues), and their career would not have been extended…perhaps they would not have been on Warners at all because Stan got a deal and lured them over from Apple, as Apple kinda didn’t treat the band well in terms of releases and rejections…personally yes, espesh George & Paul…but if the label released their albums as-is after they turned em in (early versions sounded totally fine really), and not rejected albums after album, the band would not have been in the state they were in when Stan entered the picture and lured them away over to Warners, just saying…the tragedies could have seriously been prevented…in a way, I prefer the band on Warners anyway, just personally love everything about the label…

• Darren English says:

True. I should have cited Head First, even though it was unreleased for decades.
        A better album than their self titled effort, and almost as good as the Chris Thomas produced Wish You Were Here.

4. StevieB says:

BBC 4 in the UK is broadcasting a one hour edit of David Bowie’s Glastonbury 2000 show later this month. There’s also a new documentary entitled Bowie: The First Five Years coming to the BBC sometime in 2019.

• RJS says:

The BBC are very good at promoting new releases and reissues by heritage acts. A lot of acts with reissues being released get almost a whole Saturday night devoted to them on BBC 4 on the weekend of release. I do wonder how it works – are the BBC bunged a pile of cash to promote the releases or are they just riding the tail of the releases with the likelihood of getting more viewers?

5. Dogfacedboy says:

Just reminded me that I ordered the vinyl n signed CD of the Primals. Will be fascinating to hear what the original plan was.

• Tim-Meh says:

All I can say is that must have been on some **** drugs back in ‘93 to be convinced the version of Give Out they actually released back then was superior to this original version. They had a really coherent album in the bag. Its a revelation.

6. Reed says:

I propose The Monkees revise their album’s title to “Cash In Christmas”

7. BritinDetroit says:

I am a shade surprised that SDE does not detail the Eric Clapton Happy Xmas Deluxe Box Set . So please excuse the cut and paste, but here it is

Deluxe Box Set Details:
    Pop-up Art derived from EC’s original sketches
    One-of-a-kind metal alloy Christmas tree ornament from Eric’s hand-drawn “Bushbranch”
    horse
    “Happy Xmas” album on CD
    7″ Picture Flexi Vinyl
    Custom rubbery USB drive designed from Eric’s Santa sketch that doubles as an ornament. Includes hi-definition WAV files of the full album, video content and interview, album artwork
    Custom deluxe box is wrapped in red and white faux fur to resemble a classic Santa hat

Cruises in at $60 plus shipping

• AndyB says:

Is it April fools already?

• Caroline says:

Given the standard of Clapton’s “art”, they’re brave to base so much of the content around it, eh? My 2 yr old nephew could do better…

(thought – is it an indication of how seriously he takes the project that he dashed off the cover with a couple of crayons in less than a minute?)

8. StevieB says:

It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas.

Great to have a new album from Elvis C.

9. Krzych says:

…also System Of A Down vinyl reissues and Morphine “Yes” on ROG.

10. Paul E. says:

If you’re like me and have been waiting for the Nitzer Ebb 10 LP box to make it onto CD, it’s now available on Pylon Records’ site as well as Amazon (cheaper via Pylon direct). I ordered this today:

NITZER EBB

Join In The Chant
    Alarm
    Let Your Body Learn
    Let Beauty Loose
    Into The Large Air
    Murderous (Instrumental)
    Fitness to Purpose (Mix Two)
    Join In The Chant (Burn! 12” Mix) –Bonus

Kick It (Adrian Sherwood Compulsion Edit) – Bonus
    I Thought (Sucked In Sucked Out) – Bonus
    Kick It (The Secret Knowledge Velvet Dm’s Mix) – Bonus
    Kick It (Banjo Sin Remixed By PK) – Bonus
    Kick It (Short Dub) Remixed By Adrian Sherwood – Bonus

11. David M says:

Why are people releasing Christmas albums in early October? Haven’t even had Halloween yet. Crazy!

12. Alan B says:

Just got the new Echo and the Bunnymen signed doubled picture disc LP. Very nice too except they have used the same picture across all 4 sides. A bit more imagination please!

13. Colin says:

That Monkees album/cd cover is superb! As i’m sure will the songs be that are on it!

14. gwynogue says:

EC was so desperate to get his Christmas album out (too damn) early that he didn’t bother taking more than 10 seconds on the cover.

Seriously, why bother with a vinyl revival if you’re going to create such dreadful packaging? Sure, people buy vinyl for the music, but I thought another part of vinyl’s appeal was to have large-form artwork that can be admired

15. Amdrew M says:

Hi Paul

Please don’t take this the wrong way. I just wanted to say I miss the saturday deluxe column and your weekly Sunday evening email.

I know you’re probably mega busy with preparing for the “Seeds of love” box coming out for Christmas (yeah, we can dream) and other such projects but just wanted to let you know that your writings are missed.

Thanks for missing it :). I was ill and shipping a large amount of Dead Or Alive purple vinyl at the same time… normal service will resume.

16. Charles Cotham says:

Oh dear, that Eric Clapton Christmas album’s cover………………….
    I know I’m always moaning about terrible cover art, but this bottom-of the-barrel artwork to a whole new sub-basement level of that barrel. It just makes the album seem very tossed-off before anyone’s heard a note.

Still, so much to look forward to this week – starting with that Bowie set for me.

17. Auntie Sabrina says:

Elton John is on the John Lewis advert…

18. andrew R says:

John lewis haven’t released their christmas advert yet
    but E.C. and the monkees are well out in front Christmas wise
    If you want to know why Christmas gets earlier every year
    these are the people to blame :)