Out This Week / on 20 July 2018

Public Image Limited / The Public Image Is Rotten (Songs From The Heart)

The Complete Jan Akkerman / 26CD box

UK SUBS / The Albums Volume Two 15CD box set / Signed and limited

Matt Bianco / Indigo 3CD deluxe

Now That’s What I Call Music reissued on double CD and 2LP vinyl

Bananarama / single CD expanded reissues

Yes, I know it wasn’t that long ago (actually five years) since those remarkably comprehensive 2CD+DVD Bananarama reissues. Since then London Records has been sold by Warners (who previously licensed to Demon) to Because Music, who are getting to work on the catalogue. The first job when a label acquires a catalogue to get to out basic (or ‘vanilla’) editions of the albums. So this week all the albums are out again as cheap and cheerful expanded editions with seven or eight bonus tracks per album. Same remastering.

Bananarama

Deep Sea Skiving

HMV uk 6LP coloured vinyl box 6.99

REM / Document (vinyl reissue)

R.E.M.‘s 1987 album and their last for I.R.S. It features their first mainstream hit single, The One I Love. This vinyl reissue is hideously expensive.

R.E.M.

Document [VINYL]

Various Artists / Now 100 (2CD)

Shockingly bad 100th edition of the long-running series. While the producers’ hands are tied when it comes to the quality of output on CD 1, the second disc which is a self-styled “celebration of the greatest NOW hits ever featured over the last 99 editions” is downright appalling. Time to put this series out of its misery?

Various Artists

NOW That's What I Call Music! 100

HMV uk 6LP coloured vinyl box 12.99

22 responses to Out This Week / on 20 July 2018

1. Mmatt says:

Love the first Now compilation I have on tape – yes, did get the last reissue on CD – should I get the new reissue of Now 1 on CD? Great feature on the series located at: https://www.theguardian.com/music/2018/jun/23/generation-making-now-thats-what-i-call-music

2. CakeSaint says:

Paul — The release dates for the U.K. Subs boxes have been delayed. Volume 1 (A-M) comes out this week, and Volume 2 (N-Z) comes out on 24 August. Thanks for the tip on them, as I have both on pre-order.

3. Annabel Lecter says:

Having just viewed the track listing of the Now 100 second disc, I’m inclined to agree that the series is a shadow of its former glory.

In all honesty, my ‘phone has come up with better selections on shuffle. Whoever curated the project appears to have used the ‘stick a pin randomly in the ‘phone book’ approach. With 35 years of hits to choose from, it’s such a wasted opportunity.

Sorry to be a negative Nancy, but if the label was trying to woo a mixture of youth and middle-aged music buyers, then they’ve dropped the ball.

Not for me.

• Kevin S says:

If you want an insight into the selection process check out this

• Annabel Lecter says:

Thanks for sharing the article, Kevin.

Speaking of the Now series, I responded to a request from Bob Stanley – via the Saint Etienne MySpace page – back in 2009, I think. He was looking to fill the gaps in his Now CD collection and put out a request to the Saint Etienne fanbase to help out.

His offer was to provide an exclusive four-track CD of Saint Etienne rarities, in exchange for the donation of any Now CD that he’d specified in his wants list.

I provided him with two Now CDs from 1991 and 1993, after I’d ripped them to iTunes. In return, I received a signed copy of one of the rarest Saint Etienne items.

Now 4 features four tracks, unavailable elsewhere and was a hand-made CD-R with my name and ‘love Bob’ scribbled in Sharpie on the CD-R label-side.

4. daveid76 says:

Now 1 : Now That’s What I Called Music
    Now 100: Now That’s What I Call Sonic Torture

5. Dan says:

I like 7 songs on disc 1 Of Now 100, last summer I liked nearly every song on disc 1 of Now 97, the charts are appalling.
    Also I did some research and it seems they no longer can fill up 2 discs of hits, all the songs on disc 1 are in the charts, single releases seem to have slowed down drastically and stick around for months.
    Disc 2 is disappointing, I thought we were getting a compilation of 1 song per Now album. Wasted opportunity.

6. Greg says:

REM Document limited edition gold vinyl was supposed to be up to 2500 copies. Now you can buy it everywhere.

Is the one on Amazon gold vinyl, then?

• Andrew M says:

Yep can anyone confirm that’s the gold,vinyl urgently please? My partner was going to get it for me for Father’s Day but it sold out. If that’s the same disc I’ll order it now. Not paying that for black vinyl though.

• CraigH says:

I wouldn’t be sure this is definitely the gold version, that came out 1st June and was ltd to 2500 copies, I’m not sure what this one is..

Agreed… but equally wouldn’t be surprised if it was the gold version!

• Andrew M says:

I wish there was a definitive way to find out. No use asking amazon. They listed the Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence ltd edition cloud splat vinyl openly which I bought a few weeks ago and it was the black version. I paid £30 for that,

They offered me to return it (I object to paying £30 for standard black vinyl) but our nearest post office is 15 miles away so not worth it.

Not taking a risk on this one useless I know what I’m getting.

7. Soren says:

Now 100 is very boring

8. Kauwgompie says:

Looks like all the Bananarama Edsel Reissues are now out of print except for “Pop Life” and “Please Yourself”. Curious if we will see new SDE versions of these albums. Not much was left off the reissues, if anything, especially considering the Edsel Singles boxset which included every possible remix and b-side. Probably not much demand for new Bananarama SDE’s.

• Rosie says:

I’m so glad I’ve got all the Edsel deluxe editions of bananarama including their singles box set. The expanded editions are not worth buying, unless you don’t own any of their albums.

• Simonf says:

Same here. Got the lot, and much treasured they are. A really excellent job by Edsel.
        Can’t see these appearing in SDE again for a very looooooooooooooong time….

9. Jan says:

I no way would I want to promote my own album out on Friday.
    HMV are doing an exclusive PINK vinyl version, and there;’s only 75 of them.
    Other stores and colours available. :)