Patti Smith / Horses / 2CD Legacy edition reissued as vinyl replica

pattysmith_horses

The two-CD Legacy Edition of Patti Smith‘s seminal 1975 album Horses will be reissued by Sony in April as part of a second wave of Japanese-style mini-LP CD / vinyl replica reissues.

SDE was really impressed (scroll down for video) with the first batch of these vinyl replica reissues which came out in October 2016. These included titles such as Jeff Buckley‘s Grace, Dennis Wilson’s Pacific Blue and Iggy & The Stooges’ Raw Power.

Horses was re-released back in 2005 for its 30th anniversary and this reissue is a repackaged version of that set, with a bonus CD of Patti performing the album, in full, at the Royal Festival Hall London in June 2005. That performance featured Tom Verlaine on guitar and Flea on bass. The album on the first disc appends the 1976 live performance of My Generation (the B-side to the Gloria single) and Smith also includes that at the end of the 2005 live rendition.

Other titles in the next batch of vinyl replicas will be 2CD Legacy Editions of Janis Joplin’s Pearl, Johnny Cash At San Quentin and Mile Davis Sketches Of Spain. They will all be released on 28 April 2017.

0889854131722

Patti Smith

Horses – 2CD vinyl replica

Shop Price GBP Stock

track_listing

CD 1

Horses

1.  Gloria
2. Redondo Beach
3. Birdland
4. Free Money
5. Kimberly
6. Break It Up
7. Land: Horses / Land, of a Thousand Dances /La Mer(de)
8. Elegie

bonus track
9. “My Generation” (Live at the Agora, Cleveland, Ohio, on January 26, 1976)

CD 2

Horses: Live at the Royal Festival Hall. London, June 2005

1. Gloria
2. Redondo Beach
3. Birdland
4. Free Money
5. Kimberly
6. Break It Up
7. Land: Horses / Land, of a Thousand Dances /La Mer(de)
8. Elegie
9. My Generation

18 responses to Patti Smith / Horses / 2CD Legacy edition reissued as vinyl replica

1. Lee Taylor says:

Just bought the ’05 reissue last week. D’oh.

2. Pablo says:

Me too :)

3. SEAN says:

Any chance of listing the other titles Paul as it’s near impossible to track them down on Amazon because they don’t give any details, cheers :)

4. colm47 says:

I have the 05 version.

What’s the difference Paul? An extra bonus track?

Wish it was a SDE vinyl and cd box set, as it’s one of my favourite LPs .

5. Nodoyuna says:

So this is the complete next batch?

Horses – Patti Smith
    Pearl – Janis Joplin
    Johnny Cash At San Quentin
    Miles Davis – Sketches Of Spain.

Also, according to the video, the first batch were:

Jeff Buckley – Grace
    Iggy Pop – Raw Power
    Billy Joel – The Stranger
    Dennis Wilson – Pacific Ocean Blue
    Elvis Presley – On Stage
    Stevie Ray Vaughan – Couldn’t Stand The Weather
    Ozzy Osbourne – Diary Of A Madman
    Santana – Supernatural
    Miles Davis – Kind Of Blue

Is this list complete? I’d like to start and collect these editions
    Thanks in advance

6. gwynogue says:

What’s the sound quality of ‘My Gen’ (the 1976 version) like on this/’05 one? I bought a single-disc reissue a couple years ago and the bonus track sounded AWFUL – like they had sourced a chewed up tape! Then at the end, a horrendous loud 1-second buzz that made me regret listening through headphones!

7. Dean says:

Yeah, I have several copies of this CD. Still, the live thing is new, and that’s enough to draw me in. I basically see it as paying for the live version, with the studio version as the bonus – if that makes sense.

8. bertielego says:

I guess this repackaging exercise is some attempt to bring the Mini-LP format to the EU/US markets.

My opinion on this is: Just get the real thing… Japanese Mini-LPs.
    With obi strips on the side, and featuring Japanese text/artwork.
    The way is was meant to be!

9. Dean says:

There is simply no way these compare to Japanese Mini LP’s. You’d think they’d be able to do as good a job in the West, but I’ve yet to see a “Mini LP” that compares in quality and preciseness to an actual Japanese release.

Having said that, they do make a nice change from Jewelcases, and if we’re going to have card sleeves, Mini LP’s are a great way to do it.

Having said that (didn’t I write that before?) this will be a little odd, because the original album was not a gatefold. So they’re either going to invent a gatefold (which means it’s not truly a Mini LP), or they’re going to put two CD’s into a single sleeve.

Pondering this last night I just went ahead and bought the 2005 release, from Amazon, for £4.70. Not sure how I missed this all this time, so either way I’m glad to have it in my collection. I’ve never owned the live album….

10. David S says:

“Having said that (didn’t I write that before?) this will be a little odd, because the original album was not a gatefold. So they’re either going to invent a gatefold (which means it’s not truly a Mini LP), or they’re going to put two CD’s into a single sleeve”

All these vinyl replica reissues are copying the deluxe editions that came out previously.

11. David S says:

Here’s a list for all the previous reissues back in October for those that may want to get these

Jeff Buckly – “Grace”

Iggy Pop – “Raw Power”

Billy Joel – “The Stranger”

Dennis Wilson – “Pacific Ocean Blue”

Elvis – “On Stage”

Stevie Ray Vaughan – “Couldn’t stand the weather”

Ozzy Osbourne – “Diary of a madman”

Santana – “Supernatural”

Miles Davis – “Kind of Blue”

12. Eric says:

I’m not a fan of CD cardboard packaging, even the fancy vinyl replicas. You can’t read the spine and the disc goes into stealth mode when placed into the collection. There also doesn’t appear to be a correct way of removing or relpacing them from the sleeve without risking some sort damage to the disc.

13. Brian says:

all the links at amazon for this show it as a 1 CD version. is it the correct link?

14. David S says:

Just wondering if anyone has the same as me, but, I have recently bought “Horses” vinyl replica and the 1st disc is shiny Blue, 2nd is black(as advertised), do I have a fault with my 1st disc or has anyone else bought it and got the same as me?