Paul McCartney debuts new song ‘Get Enough’ for New Year

Paul McCartney has surprised fans by making available a brand new composition, Get Enough, via YouTube and various streaming channels.

Like ‘Fuh You’ (and deluxe CD bonus track ‘Nothing For Free’) ‘Get Enough’ is is co-written and co-produced with Ryan Tedder but it doesn’t feature on his recent album Egypt Station.

The new song has appeared with no fanfare and not long after Paul’s video for ‘Who Cares’. ‘Get Enough’ might prove divisive because it makes very heavy use of autotune, for that now familiar effect which first used by Cher 20 years ago on her worldwide smash ‘Believe’.

Listen to the song below and leave a comment with your thoughts.

Enter the SDE competition to win the super deluxe editions of Wings Wild Life and Red Rose SpeedwayEgypt Station is out now. Read the SDE review.

Paul McCartney

Egypt Station - 2LP deluxe vinyl

Paul McCartney

Egypt Station - standard vinyl LP

Paul McCartney

Egypt Station - CD Edition

YouTube credits for Get Enough are as follows:

Producer, Associated Performer, Programming, Background Vocalist: Ryan Tedder Producer, Studio Personnel, Editor, Associated Performer, Programming: Zach Skelton Producer, Co- Producer, Associated Performer, Vocals, Bass Guitar, Piano, Acoustic Guitar, Harpsichord, Synthesizer, Synth Bass: Paul McCartney Studio Personnel, Engineer: Steve Orchard Studio Personnel, Engineer: Rich Rich Studio Personnel, Asst. Recording Engineer: Keith Smith Studio Personnel, Asst. Recording Engineer: Jamie Kirkham Studio Personnel, Mixer: Mark Stent Studio Personnel, Assistant Mixer: Michael Freeman Studio Personnel, Mastering Engineer: Randy Merrill Composer Lyricist: Paul McCartney Composer Lyricist: Ryan Tedder

Track listing for Egypt Station.

1. Opening Station 0:42

Bonus tracks on the ‘deluxe’ CD

17. Get Started 3:41
18. Nothing for Free

117 responses to Paul McCartney debuts new song ‘Get Enough’ for New Year

1. Pingback:Paul McCartney releases remix single | superdeluxeedition

2. Robin says:

Everyone talks about the autotune, but no mention of the faux/on-purpose vinyl crackle ‘n’ pop noises at the start & end of the track?

3. Pingback:Paul McCartney to release Egypt Station ‘Explorer’s Edition’ | superdeluxeedition

4. Steve Lees says:

A truly beautiful song, and in my view his best song since ‘I know that you want her too’ which he co-wrote with Elvis Costello. An amazing songwriter, the likes of which we will probably never see again, at least not in our lifetimes…Thank you Paul!

5. howard cohen says:

All I can say is I like to buy it as a cd single. I hope it comes out soon!

6. Ken Moore says:

Autotune? Really? Glad this wasn’t on the new album.

7. bob says:

What a dirge, no wonder he is giving it away.

8. wayne klein says:

It’s a nice song but the production with the autotune damages it.

9. Daz says:

Listened to it a couple of times now and if it was’nt for the auto -tune its not a bad little song!

10. phil Burford says:

Like it a lot but perhaps it would have been better as a “The Fireman ” moniker release because of the slightly experimental/ off kilter style . I wonder if the sleeve art is a nod to the vocals manipulation .

11. Alexey says:

In general it’s a nice little song with a degree of experimental treatment. No wonder that it was left off the album.
    Would be nice to hear what else was left from Egypt Station sessions on that mysterious SDE album.

12. Arthur O'Brien says:

Nightmare, because of auto-tune. Plain and simple.

This is my one and only listen unless they release an undoctored version.

13. Steve says:

Not a band song per se, but auto-tune ruins it.
    Who’s achingly hip millenial idea was that??

14. george glazener says:

On a happier note, this month marks the 50th anniversary of the Let it Be sessions. They were going at it this very day, 50 years ago..!!

15. TREVOR PUGH says:

Pure melody, pure Macca! It’s got it all, for me, great hooks (as you’d expect) plus a beautiful orchestration to end with and all in under 3 minutes…..love it!!

16. PJ says:

Get enough sounds like a reasonable song/tune. Absolutely ruined by auto tune, and to my old ears nigh on unlistenable it makes me cringe. Can understand why it did not make it on to Egypt station. Glad it is not a physical release so I won’t have to buy it at present. Although I’m sure it will be on the deluxe edition. I can’t believe PM is resorting to auto tune to impress his audience because majority of his fans will detest it. Im certain even young listeners will fail to be impressed. I can’t believe Im saying this about a PM song! Wonderful Christmas time & The frog song sound like classics compared to this.
    Pity JL & GH are not around now I would have liked to hear their comments!

• george glazener says:

@PJ; totally agree. If John had heard that song, he would have flown to London, driven to Cavendish Ave. and kicked Paul in the arse. If George had heard that song, he would have given Paul a copy of “Cloud Nine” and told him to ring up Jeff Lynne to produce his next LP.

17. M RALPH says:

Liked the song,not his best,sounds like memories from a bygone era when the docks were a hive of activity,not every song has to be a classic,its just a musical memory to visit,thank-you

18. seikotsi says:

First time since ‘No more lonely nights’ I heard an interesting Paul Mc Cartney song.

19. Magoo says:

This is shockingly bad , no question, I think anyone who try’s to stay current has lost it.
    The only thing I can gain from this mess, is that so many people on this forum agree, its CRAP.
    Sad man, who’s now is embarrassing.
    And people wonder why HMV is shutting down, it’s over and has been for years.

20. Tim says:

I really like the song, felt poignant to me.
    The Bon Iver album “22, A Million” is full of such effects and is just as wonderful as it is different to “For Emma, Forever Ago” The bridge between those albums was the “Blood Bank” ep. This song could be a similar thing for McCartney, I hope so.

21. Mike says:

GREAT F’N SONG, PAUL.

22. Randy Metro says:

I may be the only fan of Biker Like An Icon. I digress. This new song makes me clutch all of my 70’s Macca albums close to my heart, cross my legs tightly, bite my lip, hold my nose, roll my eyes, bang my head against a brick wall. Then I’ll go to my corner and rock out with Biker Like An Icon.

23. bobbysdad says:

So many ‘expert’ comments. Be happy you ungrateful sods that he’s still alive and still recording.
    “One off’s” like this just prove that he’s still happy to keep experimenting and recording, and THEN sharing it for FREE.
    Show some respect to a [still] living legend…. You’ll all miss him when he’s gone.
    Anyone here, is free to try and do better [if you can] and make sure you post a link here so we can all have a listen and slag you too!

• hendry doran says:

Bear in mind that Paul invited comments/thoughts. He didn’t say only post if you think it’s fab

• TREVOR PUGH says:

Nice one, Bobbysdad, I was beginning to think I was the only fan of this song. Don’t know what the fuss is all about, it’s a typical Macca catchy riff filled number with a twist (autotune) and a beautiful ending. As usual with Paul Mc, he’s not afraid to experiment. I love it!

24. Paul F says:

Well, that hasn’t got the year off to a very good start. How did he get talked into letting this out?

25. KJ Brent says:

One of the worst “songs”I’ve heard in years. It’s a shame Paul has sunk so low..

26. John Pei says:

I like it! And, as I have yet to have my 1st million seller, it certainly is not my place to critique. Paul is an artist. As such, just because he has reached a certain age, it doesn’t mean he is no longer one. Keep pumpin’ ’em out Macca! God bless!

27. Ian Mears says:

I like it. More Bin Iver than Cher. I like that he’s still playing with sounds.

28. Steve Benson says:

Dear Paul, I recommend retirement, and under a rock if that helps avoid today’s pop music. Every weak song you release diminishes your earlier and considerable achievements.

29. HalloweenJack says:

W in T F!
    Awful. Period.

30. R.naud says:

I wouldn’t praise Ryan Tedder for anything that he has ever touched even with a barge pole but Get Enough is much better than a few of the fillers on the album. The autotune was unnecessary but it’s no more intrusive than the vocoder on Be What You See, a snippet of a song from Tug of War that I’ve always liked. Get Enough has also decent lyrics compared to the horrendous Fuh You. It’s a song that would definitely deserve to be on the album alongside the bonus track Get Started replacing Fuh You, Who Cares, People Want Peace or Back in Brazil! And you would get a much stronger Egypt Station album in the process.

31. noyoucmon says:

The Ryan Tedder contributions are a big part of why I find Egypt Station to be McCartney’s most dismal album of all time, and I don’t need a new bonus song of more of the same. This road Macca has gone done is grotesque.

32. Robert says:

Autotune? And in distort mode at that?? WTF is this??? Thanks Sir Paul, but I think I ‘got enough’ in the first ten notes or so. And oh yes: Autotune sucks, full stop.

33. Colin henwood says:

Terrible song sorry Paul clutching at straws with this.andi am a life long Beatles fan. Bad bad bad

34. Magoo says:

Oh dear oh dear.

35. Ricardo says:

I’m sorry for me is a bad song. “Mccartney in the dirt”

36. Ed Bliss says:

I’m a massive Macca fan but this is the worst thing the great man has done since Biker Like An Icon’.
    ‘Bigly sad’ as The Donald might say.

McCartney’s worst song or recording is an interesting question. I might have to go for “PS Love Me Do” on the A-side and ‘Freedom’ on the B-side of the seven-inch single from HELL.

• 007 says:

Mid / side configurations reveal a heartbreaking 3 minutes

Keep your eye on youtube, Someone will demix the autotune, then apply the +L-R

I might do it, if I can be arsed.

This song has had all of your pants down.
        Live And Let Die :)

• Aaron says:

How about Rudolph The Red Nosed Reggae??

Or Love Song To The Earth which was particularly awful

Biker Like An Icon is awesome by the way!! :)

• Nowhereman says:

Am I the only McCartney fan who likes PS Love Me Do?

37. Steven says:

Here is my opinion: I realize Paul was a Beatle and certain fans will defend his every move at all costs. I see the same with Morrissey devotees as well. However, I could stomach a weakened voice but the auto-tune is awful. People say “Well, Cher did it with Believe!” Two things: first, are we really ready to put Paul in the same bucket as Cher? And does anyone truly think a song like Believe should be the benchmark?

I feel this song actually tarnishes his legacy a bit. He should fire the producer and work with someone classic. What’s Tony Visconti working on? Love Paul, but I’m pretending I never listened to this song…

• EW99 says:

*Many* other people besides Cher have used autotune and there’s nothing inherently wrong with it. Someone above mentions Bon Iver as a good example and I’d recommend Swamp Dogg’s Love, Loss and Autotune album as well.

38. StevieB says:

Available on iTunes (U.K.) for 99p.

39. StevieB says:

This is a SUPERB song, half expected it to launch into a massive banging dance tune (there needs to be dance remixes of this released) instead it goes all ‘Beach Boys-y’ FAB! Hope it comes out on vinyl!

• Ben Williams says:

I agree! A good little song, nothing wrong with it – it is a bit different but that’s not a bad thing. Art is all about taking chances.

Fair enough if not everyone likes it but at the end of the day, it’s just an outtake! Better to have it in the world than not.

40. Colin Harper says:

Surprised the Assistant Associate Tea-Boy wasn’t mentioned in the credits.

41. Fran says:

I like it..Pauls voice sounds real..poignant..reflective..not sure if the Tedder treatment adds anything to it though

42. johnnyv says:

Terrible song :-(

43. Michael Campbell says:

Sorry, but the autotune sounds like it was used out of necessity with pretentions of it being used as an effect. It would have sounded much better with a harmony supplying the higher notes

There’s plenty of good songs on Egypt Station that don’t use it, so don’t agree with all this ‘necessity’ business.

44. Arcweld says:

Not a huge McCartney fan, but do have an interest. Like some I do think there is a good song in there. I like the sentiments of the lyrics, and do agree the auto tune effect is a mess that truly screws the song, the production is also too overblown to my taste for the song.

Maybe he just wants to try new things with his music, I would be interested to hear a stripped back version of this.

45. AndyB says:

There’s a good song lurking in there somewhere. The most difficult part of the song for me is his voice BEFORE the autotune kicks in. If we are ever going to hear his voice in better form again, he has to stop touring and take care of that throat.

• Dave says:

Andyb . He should consider tull s ian Anderson s solution simply employ a somewhat younger sole to do it for ya .ha!

46. joan kelly says:

made me feel nostalgic/sad

47. Dave says:

Absolute pants !

48. The January Gateau says:

It’s worth noting that inglorious production choices are not a new thing for PM – I’m thinking of the Retirn to Pepperland era Love Me Do remake.

49. David Lock says:

Sorry Paul. This plain sucks. Such a letdown after “Egypt Station”. Should have just been voice and piano on the track. Don’t try going “Modern” with productions. It just doesn’t suit your music.

50. Steve says:

I quite like the song. It’s not like Cher was the only and last person to use it and it sounds a hundred times better than George Michaels auto tuned cover of New Orders True Faith.

51. Ken.e says:

Not a great song and poor use of autotune in my opinion. I would have been more interested in the song if the autotune was removed or rather not used.
    If this is a teaser for a deluxe edition it’s not a song that would have me invest further into Egypt Station. That would be okay as I gave Paul lots of cash last year.

• Mo hayes says:

Oh Paul give it a rest, sounds like you need a bottle of venos cough mixture! Oh maybe you’ve some of those zubes lozenges left lennon had on that first abbey road session he sang twist n shout, I’ve had enough! Same old tired sound! I love you but stay on the beach a while longer!! Mo an old apple scruff!!

52. BJ says:

That’s enough of that…

53. Tyrone Tudor says:

The Autotune compliments the tunes reflections of time .
    I love this

54. Mike the Fish says:

This is the first track from this Egypt Station era that I thought was worth playing again straight away. His voice is clearly damaged/worn out now, but the effect works nicely for me on the chorus, but on the bridge it sounds more obviously there to try and conceal/help his more limited range. I guess it could be there throughout for that, but for me it works as artistic effect without jarring aside from that section. I don’t think the middle eight suits the song, but overall I really like it. I’d want to buy it on 45 (price dependant).

55. Frankie says:

What a terrible piece of “music”…

56. patjoller says:

That’s the problem with artists requesting the services of Mr Tedder. They want a hit but it turns out as something pretty average. U2 keep on doing the same mistake and it fails miserably. Leave Mr Tedder to where he belongs, teenage pop with his onerepublic band, and do it on your own….

• TheProgster says:

Ryan Tedder is a genius in OneRepublic take a listen to their albums “Native” 2013 and “Oh My My” 2016…Superb albums these guys don’t get a mention on here which is a real shame because they do some very anthemic melodic songs which are well constructed…but on this track it’s a bit of a let down after the other 2 Tedder penned tracks on McCartney’s Egypt Station.

57. Timothy Harrison says:

Question is, is he using autotune as a production gimmick or because he genuinely needs it…

It’s pretty obvious it’s being used as a production gimmick, isn’t it?

• Andrea says:

it’s not so obvious really… in the glorious past he would ADT himself, or add an harmony or something… He doesn’t have much of a voice left and it is a bit painful to hear, but -hey – he will turn 77 this year and it’s not like he hasn’t left us enough music to listen to.

American Beatle Harry Nilsson was crucified for his voice on his later albums – and he sounded way better than Macca does now!…

58. Dave Lou Lindop says:

Well this guy really digs it, I loved the nostalgic lyrics and his amazing mature voice Yes it worked for me.

59. Michael D says:

All this serves as is a reminder that Egypt Station is out there and is a fine McCartney album. He’s taken a modern approach as far as publicity is concerned and ‘dropped’ a new tune on new years day.

In reality, it’s just a Paul McCartney demo of a barebones idea he probably spent a day on in the studio that Ryan fooled around on with him. If it had been explored it could have been a decent song, (it would have served as a Fireman track to have gone crazy on). It will get dumped into my extras for Egypt Station and in 10 years when I stumble on it again and I’ll no doubt think the same of it.

60. MüllerMüller says:

Exelent B-Side!
    Nice song

61. Marc K. says:

Just when I regained respect for McCartney, I really like the album, he does this……
    All that I hate about McCartney these days, especially the fading voice, has come together in this terrible song. WHY??? Is there really no-one in his entourage that tells him to NOT do this?

62. Renato says:

Quite bad, but always better than Temporary Secretary (for example…)

63. Alastair Brown says:

Good song, ‘interesting’ production and arrangement.

Is this perhaps a trailer for the super deluxe edition that you mentioned in June last year?

64. Billy says:

That tune hurts McCartney’s legacy. It’s pure rubbish.

65. Pádraig Collins says:

It’s crap, and so is Fuh You. McCartney should have more dignity. He’s Paul McCartney. Until he co-wrote two terrible songs (and one good song) with McCartney, I’d never heard of Ryan Tedder. In 20 years, when we are still on here talking about Paul McCartney, we will not be talking about Ryan Tedder.

• Tedder's Bear says:

Pádraig,
      You must have been living under a rock for the last 10 years. Sure, you may not like modern music and would like to hear McCartney style songs from the 70’s and 80’s but it’s wrong to slag off someone you haven’t heard of.
      Ryan Tedder has written or co-written some of the biggest hits in the last 10 years. To name a few:
      Leona Lewis – Bleeding Love (UK million seller)
      Adele – Rumour Has It
      Ellie Goulding – Burn
      Beyoncé – Halo
      plus songs for his own band OneRepublic

Since, in 20 years a lot of McCartney fans will be dying off, it’s actually more likely that the younger generation will more likely be talking about Ryan Tedder than McCartney. His track record as a writer is the reason that someone like McCartney wants to work with him. Sure, it takes his music in a different direction which will isolate some fans but it also keeps McCartney’s music modern.

• Tom m hans says:

Who cares about any of those hits mentioned by you? I surely have been living under the so called rock for the past 10 years and I don’t feel I missed anything. Million sellers usually cater to the bright masses and I could not care less. Sorry Tedder’s Bear. Now back in my cave spinning Tales Of Mystery by Alan Parsons Project.
        Peace and a Happy Healthy 2019.

Just to pick up on this issue, I can see both sides of this argument. Ryan Tedder is somebody the average SDE reader might not be aware of, but on the other hand he isn’t exactly a nobody either, and to give him his due he’s had significant success. That doesn’t mean his collaborations with Paul McCartney are a ‘success’ though and indeed Get Enough is easily the worst of the three that have been released.

• Andreas says:

I can also see both sides of this argument. If you compare e.g. Little Lamb Dragonfly or Get On The Right thing from the new Red Rose Speedway remaster with productions by Ryan Tedder, you have to come to the conclusion that we are talking about two completely different genres of music. Just because I personally detest Ryan Tedder’s sound, it doesn’t necessarily have to be bad. It’s just my taste. To me this new “song” remains a piece of garbage, especially because we know what gems Macca is capable of writing, Music taste will continue to change, and we all probably will be largely influenced by the type of music we were exposed to in our teens. I need to accept that music is changing to this Tedder sound, even though I personally would never listen to such music. I am trying to expose my two sons to the type of music I consider to be great :-)

• Dave H says:

It sounds to me a generational thing, as Paul says most SDE readers may not be aware of Ryan Tedder but a lot of music listeners under 30 will know the name. Both will be talked about in 20 years time but maybe by a different age group.

• Dave says:

Hi tom. Nice one . I ‘ll drink to that one mate for sure !!

• Jarmo Keranen says:

When i look at the list of the artist i’m glad i don’t know who Ryan Tedder is and haven’t heard any of his composition. Shame that Paul McCartney didn’t stop making music after 90’s!

• Pádraig Collins says:

I’ve heard of those artists you mention, but have never thought anything I heard by any of them worth buying.

I didn’t entirely slag him off, I said one of the three songs he co-wrote with McCartney is good. One out of three ain’t bad.

McCartney’s music has stood the test of time because its quality makes it timeless. Using autotune and today’s production sounds immediately dates it to today.

Do you really think all of McCartney’s fans will be dying off in 20 years? Have you heard of The Beatles? They were the biggest band in the world one time and people still buy their records and talk about them almost 50 years after they broke up. McCartney co-wrote most of their songs.

I’ll bet you a pound we’re still talking about McCartney in 20 years, and not Ryan Tedder. Come on here on January 3, 2039 and we’ll see who is right.

• Marcel says:

Maybe you should look up Ryan Tedder’s credentiala. Amongst other things he penned Beyoncé’s Halo and Adele’s Rumour Has It. This is an accomplished songwriter. I am not very fond of the new song but i really like Fuh You.

66. Spike says:

Note to Paul McCartney –
    Sorry Paul, this one won’t be a hit.
    -Beginning sounds like it should be a Billy Joel song.
    -Autotune is not you, leave it with Cher.

67. Dave says:

Sad to hear his voice has gone.
    Eh, not a great song, but if anyone deserves to coast, it is Paul.

68. Gisabun says:

Would be surprised if he sprung some kind of “tour edition” or “collector’s edition” like he did with New.

69. James W says:

It has elements from “Fuh You” and “Nothing For Free”, but I think it’s a much worse song than either of them.

70. Ben in Colorado says:

Oh my……not good.
    Is his voice auto-tuned?

71. Paul Saunders says:

Now a stripped down piano and mic only mix would so benefit this song , a reflective piece that needs warmth . This auto tuned noise ruins what could be a beautiful lament .

72. Lee says:

I like it! I can see why it was left off the album, but as an outtake, it’s pretty decent.

73. Robert says:

Time to give it away Paul

74. Fran says:

I like it..it’s sounds real…it’s Paul McCartney as he is now a mature man who’s had a few of life’s experiences and he’s reflecting..you can hear it..thankyou xx

75. Andreas says:

A piece of garbage.
    Oh Macca, why are you doing this?? Several songs on Egypt Station demonstrated that you still are able to write great melodies… Happy With You, Dominoes, I Don’t Know…
    I cannot get it into my brain why you released Fuh You and this one (as bad as Fuh You or even worse)… !

76. Ian McJannet says:

I think it’s time he gave up and went travelling .. His voice is losing it
    Sad that he has to use ‘autotune’ .. No wonder this wasn’t on the album ..

77. Beautiful lyrics. Excellent rhythm. A blend of the old and contemporary themes and beats.

Reveals for me trappings of a classic by exclusively a legendary and iconic musician.

Kono.

78. Kevin says:

Blecch! This kind of thing is why I haven’t bought a new Paul McCartney record in, oh…almost 30 years.

79. Gareth says:

Cher’s Believe, all is forgiven. This is one of the worst Macca tracks l’ve ever heard. Thank god this wasn’t on the current album!

80. wardo says:

There’s a good song in there somewhere. Paulie had a nice run when he worked with producers who weren’t yes men, and wouldn’t let him get away with tossing off tunes like he used to. Now he’s stuck with Gen Xers and Millennials who don’t know his history, and don’t know that he needs to be steered from crap that merely sounds good because it’s “contemporary”.

• Pádraig Collins says:

I think it’s the other way round, Wardo. There is no way it was McCartney’s idea to use autotune. That was definitely Tedder’s idea and McCartney became yes man to a no mark.

• wardo says:

Yes, but he’s also collaborated with Kanye and Rihanna so he’s not exactly a stranger to the technology. It does cover the strain in his voice.

I am grateful he stopped dyeing his hair. At least that’s one concession to the march of time.

81. Ollie Carlisle says:

Get Enough? Couldn’t even get through the first minute of this. Sounded like it could have been a decent enough song but the production is as overpowering as cheap perfume. Such gimmicks might be needed to make forgettable pop less forgettable but when there’s a decent songwriter at work a good producer would get out of the way.

82. Chucky says:

I’ll admit up front that I am not a McCartney fan. I don’t dislike him, just don’t follow him or buy his records, but I certainly respect his ability as a songwriter. That being said, I listened to this a couple of times out of curiosity and…hard to believe(ha!) how bad this is. Hopefully this isn’t representative of his current work because this is truly awful, in my opinion.

83. Bill says:

And so far it is not available for purchase from itunes Canada,

84. greg says:

Whats the go here releasing a song not from the album. New album of material from the ES sessions? ES Boxset? quite strange move. Oh, by the way, I loath the song . Ploddy, autotuned mess.

85. John Kent says:

There’s a reason this wasn’t included on the album

• Nick says:

Yes it’s not on the last album because it’s total CRXX……

I was Half expecting Cher to start singing with him at any time! Oh dear….. awful …. the worst song of 2019 released on the very 1st day of 2019………