Paul McCartney / “New” album announced for October

new_cover

This is the cover of “New” – Paul McCartney’s new album

Paul McCartney‘s new album is to be called ‘New’ and will be released on 14 October 2013.

The record will be McCartney’s first ‘proper’ studio album since 2007’s Memory Almost Full, his longest gap between pop records in his 50-year career.

The title track for the album has been made available, with Paul describing it to the BBC as “catchy”, adding, “it’s summery, it’s a love song. I think people will recognise it as definitely me.”

The track was produced by Mark Ronson, but four different producers have contributed to the album, including Paul Epworth, who co-wrote and produced Adele’s Bond theme Skyfall. Ethan Johns and, most intriguingly Giles Martin (son of George, of course), are the other two producers who worked on the record.

‘New’ will be a 12-track album, with iTunes showing a ‘Deluxe Edition’ of 14 tracks. There is likely to be a physical deluxe too, with enhanced packaging, as well as a vinyl version. It will be interesting to see with McCartney bothers with physical single releases.

No song titles are currently available, other than ‘New’. Amazon US have a pre-order available for the standard CD.

What do you think of the track “New”? Leave a comment and let us know!

‘New’ standard CD Edition

Deluxe Edition with bonus tracks

Vinyl

23 responses to Paul McCartney / “New” album announced for October

1. John says:

Will “Give Me Some Slack” be one of the tracks?

2. ivan says:

the cover artwork is so savillesque! ^_^

3. Tim Harrison says:

Minimalist artwork mirrors David Bowie’s The Next Day….

4. Dan says:

Ah, I get it. “Can I have Paul McCartney’s ‘New’ album, please?” Replace Macca with Pet Shop Boys and you get a joke from 1986….

Exactly… it only works until he follows this up with a new record.

He’s had some great album titles of late… “Electric Arguments”, “Chaos and Creation in the Backyard” and even “Memory Almost Full”… but “New” I would put in the category of “Kisses On The Bottom”, “Driving Rain”, “Press To Play”, “Off The Ground” – basically naff / boring.

5. Marko says:

This is a great news, but where is the deluxe editions of his 80’s albums. There is a lot of out of print albums from 80’s: Pipes Of Peace, Tug Of War, Press To Play, Give My Regards To Broad Street & Flowers In The Dirt. 1993 remasters is very hard to find for reasonable price.

Those albums are WAY down the list of priorities (unfortunately). Perhaps “Tug Of War” may get looked at in the next couple of years, but I can’t see Paul doing “Press To Play” before “Venus and Mars” or “London Town” or even “Wild Life” or “Back To The Egg”

6. Karel says:

It’s a very catchy beatle-esque song, a bit like penny lane with the beach boys on background vocals, I love it, good choice for a single

7. Gary says:

As nice and minimal as the artwork is, it doesn’t spell NEW, but rather WEW, WEM, MEM or MEW. Not NEW though.

8. walter ocner says:

Actually, the cover is utter crap. Bowie had a post-it note on his iconic “heroes” cover and this is just plain lousy. Minimalist was the white album. This is just awful, probably cost a nickel to design.

9. mike says:

like the song, like the cover, its Macca – nuff said!

10. mark alberding says:

This is a great site, no question, but when I see posts like this–nothing deluxe about it as far as I can tell–I wonder why other issues more fitting of the blog description and deserving of coverage receive none, e.g. Cabaret Voltaire’s upcoming multi-CD/vinyl box set which was announced quite some time ago (Cabaret Voltaire #8385 Collected Works 1983 – 1985 (Ltd Edition)).

Hi Mark – to be fair anything McCartney-related is going to be of interest to a fair proportion of our audience. However that Cabaret Voltaire box looks great and we will be posting about it soon. P

11. Christian says:

Seems that Mr. McCartney was inspired to the artwork during his last concert in Vienna by the local rock group “Excuse Me Moses”:

12. Paul Kent says:

I’ve given up on getting excited about new Macca albums. It’s the same thing every time – ooh, the single sounds good, the cover looks good, I’ll buy that… *fast forward a couple of months*…oh, it’s pretty weak, really, with half-sketched ditties and unconvincing rockers. Plus, even he seems to have no faith in what he writes and records these days as he never promotes them, preferring to perform the same old bloody Beatles-heavy live sets every tour. Stop already, and give us a setlist based on your massive solo catalogue. So, yeah, nice song but I think it will be another disappointing album.

You have a point, Paul. Pretty hard to think of another artist who IGNORES so much commercially successful material when playing live. Pipes Of Peace (UK#1), Say Say Say (US #1), No More Lonely Nights (transatlantic top 10), have NEVER been played live! Great songs like “My Brave Face” have been ignored since the early 90s. And why no We All Stand Together live? (joke)…

13. Marc Rehula says:

What’s the difference between the ‘deluxe edition’ and the regular disc? I guess that’s part of the details to be released later.

14. Warren B says:

I actually think Maccas music since the naughties has been really interesting, experimental and some of his best work. Memory Almost Full was full of strong songs and intelligent arrangements (though massively overcompressed) and one of my favs. Then again my favourite Wings album is Back to The Egg so maybe I just buck the trend!

15. Robert Zilli says:

9. Hosanna 3:30
    10. I Can Bet 3:22
    11. Looking At Her 3:05
    12. Road 4:31
    13. Scared 2:48

16. Robert Zilli says:

The deluxe version has, I think, 2 additional tracks. No title info yet..