Paul Young / The CBS Singles Collection / 20-disc CD singles box set

19CD+DVD box • Compiled by SDE’s Paul Sinclair • 1500 SIGNED sets

Early next year Edsel will issue The CBS Singles Collection, a new Paul Young box set which includes every UK single issued on the CBS label as a CD single, packed with mixes, B-sides, instrumentals and even the odd unreleased demo. The box set also includes a DVD with all the videos which (issued on the format for the first time), and the first 1500 boxes come with a print SIGNED by Paul Young.

After working with Cherry Red in 2013 on the Remixes and Rarities compilation, and then two years later with Sony on the Tomb of Memories anthology, in the last year or so I have been collaborating with Edsel and Paul Young himself on this very box set. All 19 of Young’s UK CBS singles (originally issued between 1982-1994) are featured on individual CDs that replicate original artwork and include almost every variant available from the archive, including original seven-inch mixes, 12-inch mixes, alternate mixes, rare instrumentals, B-sides, extra tracks on so on.

CD 2 alone – which is  ‘Love of the Common People’ – provides almost an hour of music, including as it does the original version of the song from 1982, the 1983 re-release, the 12-inch version, various live tracks, the instrumental (unreleased outside of Japan) and the demo of B-side ‘Tender Trap’ (first discovered in the archives when I was researching the Tomb of Memories anthology).

The box journeys through the singles from five albums No Parlez (1983), The Secret Of Association (1985), Between Two Fires (1986), Other Voices (1990) and the last long-player issued on CBS, 1993’s The Crossing. While the early period can broadly be defined at the ‘hit years’ there’s some fine treasures in the later era, including the brilliant lead single from The Crossing ‘Now I Know What Made Otis Blue’ (with two high quality non-album tracks on the CD single), Paul’s cover of Crowded House‘s ‘Don’t Dream It’s Over’ (which in this set includes Dutch single ‘I’m Only Foolin’ Myself’, and Japanese duet ‘Come On In’) and ‘Heaven Can Wait’ a 45 from Other Voices, a song which features a fine vocal contribution from Chaka Khan and David Gilmour on guitar!

The physical box set has an inner ‘drawer’ (not shown on the visual above) which contains the 20 discs and a 36-page booklet with notes from yours truly and single cover art from across this era. That drawer then slides into the outer box which features a young Paul (see what I did there?) from the No Parlez era and the all important Paul Young ‘crest’ which I dusted down and revived for the Tomb of Memories set and is your badge of quality for this new CBS Singles Collection.

Some of Paul Young’s videos turned up on a companion VHS when the From Time to Time compilation was issued in 1991, but they have never been issued on DVD and certainly promos for all the UK CBS singles have never been compiled together. That finally changes with the inclusion in this box set of the final DVD, which collects 18 videos (the reason it isn’t 19 is because there wasn’t a video for ‘Iron Out The Rough Spots’!).

The icing on the cake with this new set is that it comes with an A4 print of Paul Young SIGNED by the man himself. It’s also excellent value at £55, which is less than £3 per disc.

The CBS Singles Collection box set will be released on 25 January 2019. Use the pre-order button below (or this link) to secure this signed and SDE-curated item direct from the SDE shop or you can order via Amazon.

Paul Young

The CBS Singles Collection 1982 - 1994 (Signed)

HMV uk 6LP coloured vinyl box 49.99

CD 1 – Iron Out The Rough Spots

1. Iron Out The Rough Spots (7” Mix)
2. Behind Your Smile
3. Iron Out The Rough Spots (12″ Mix)
4. Behind Your Smile (1982 Demo)

CD 2 – Love of the Common People

1. Love Of The Common People (1982 7” Mix)
2. Tender Trap
3. Love Of The Common People (1983 7″ Mix)
4. Behind Your Smile (Live at the Royal Court, Liverpool)
5. Love Of The Common People (Extended Club Mix)
6. Wherever I Lay My Hat (That’s My Home) (Live)
7. It’s Better To Have (And Don’t Need) (Live)
8. Oh Women (Live at the Royal Court Theatre, 1983)
9. Tender Trap (Demo)
10. Love Of The Common People (Instrumental)

CD 3 – Wherever I Lay My Hat (That’s My Home)

1. Wherever I Lay My Hat (That’s My Home) (7″ Version)
2. Broken Man
3. Wherever I Lay My Hat (That’s My Home) (Extended Club Mix Version)
4. Sex (Extended Club Mix Version)
5. Wherever I Lay My Hat (That’s My Home) (Edit)
6. Wherever I Lay My Hat (That’s My Home) (Instrumental)

CD 4 – Come Back and Stay

1. Come Back And Stay (Single Remix Version)
2. Yours (7″ Version)
3. Come Back And Stay (Extended Club Mix)
4. Yours (Extended Club Mix Version)
5. Come Back And Stay (Scratch Mix)
6. Come Back And Stay (Original LP Mix)
7. Come Back And Stay (US Single Version)
8. Come Back And Stay (Instrumental)

CD 5 – I’m Gonna Tear Your Playhouse Down

1. I’m Gonna Tear Your Playhouse Down (7″ Mix)
2. One Step Forward (B-side Mix)
3. I’m Gonna Tear Your Playhouse Down (Special Extended Mix)
4. I’m Gonna Tear Your Playhouse Down (Remixed U.S. Dance Floor Smash)
5. Hot Fun (Extended Mix)
6. I’m Gonna Tear Your Playhouse Down (Alternate Mix)
7. I’m Gonna Tear Your Playhouse Down (Instrumental)

CD 6 – Everything Must Change

1. Everything Must Change
2. Give Me My Freedom
3. Everything Must Change (Extended Mix)
4. Everything Must Change (US Single Version)
5. Soldier’s Things
6. Everything Must Change (Alternate Mix)
7. Everything Must Change (Instrumental)

CD 7 – Every Time You Go Away

1. Every Time You Go Away (Single Version)
2. This Means Anything (B-Side Mix)
3. Every Time You Go Away (Extended Version)
4. Every Time You Go Away (US Single Version)
4. Every Time You Go Away (Instrumental)

CD 8 – Tomb Of Memories

1. Tomb Of Memories
2. Man In The Iron Mask
3. Bite The Hand That Feeds (Live)
4. No Parlez (Live)
5. Love Will Tear Us Apart (Live)
6. Tomb Of Memories (12″ Mix)
7. Tomb Of Memories (Alternate Mix)

CD 9 –Wonderland

1. Wonderland (Single Mix)
2. Between Two Fires (B-side Mix)
3. Wonderland (12″ “Milan” Mix)
4. Wonderland (Instrumental)

CD 10 – Some People

1. Some People (Single Version)
2. A Matter Of Fact
3. Some People (New York Mix)
4. Some People (Dub)

CD 11 – Why Does A Man Have To Be Strong

1 Why Does A Man Have To Be Strong (Single Version)
2. Trying to Guess the Rest
3. Why Does A Man Have To Be Strong (Extended Remix)

CD 12 – Softly Whispering I Love You

1. Softly Whispering I Love You (Single Version)
2. Leaving Home
3. Softly Whispering I Love You (Extended Version)
4. Dolcemente Mormoro Ti Amo
5. Lovers Cross
6. Softly Whispering I Love You (Alternate Mix)
7. Softly Whispering I Love You (Instrumental)

CD 13 – Oh Girl

1. Oh Girl (7″ Mix)
2. You’re The One
3. ‘Till I Gain Control Again
4. Oh Girl (alternate mix)
5. Oh Girl (Instrumental)

CD 14 – Heaven Can Wait

1. Heaven Can Wait (7″ Remix)
2. Back Where I Started
3. Heaven Can Wait (12″ Remix)
4. Heaven Can Wait (Instrumental)

CD 15 – Calling You

1. Calling You
2. That’s How It Is
3. Everything Must Change (Live)
4. Calling You (Long Version)

CD 16 – Don’t Dream It’s Over

1. Don’t Dream It’s Over (7″ Version)
2. I Need Somebody
3. A Little Bit Of Love (Part II)
4. Don’t Dream It’s Over (Solo Version)
5. I’m Only Foolin’ Myself
6. Thinking About You
7. Come On In
8. Come On In (Instrumental)

CD 17 – Now I Know What Made Otis Blue

1. Now I Know What Made Otis Blue
2. Only Game In Town
3. Man Of Steel
4. Cold Sweat

CD 18 – Hope In A Hopeless World

1. Hope In A Hopeless World
2. Half A Step Away
3. What Becomes Of The Broken Hearted
4. Right About Now

CD 19 – It Will Be You

1. It Will Be You
2. Long Distance Love (Acoustic)
3. Don’t Let Me Be Lonely Tonight (Acoustic)
4. Wherever I Lay My Hat (That’s My Home) (Acoustic)
5. Everything Must Change (Acoustic)
6. Follow On (Acoustic)
7. Love Has No Pride (Acoustic)

DVD – The Videos

1. Love Of The Common People
2. Wherever I Lay My Hat (That’s My Home)
3. Come Back And Stay
13. Heaven Can Wait
14. Calling You
15. Don’t Dream It’s Over
16. Now I Know What Made Otis Blue
17. Hope In A Hopeless World
18. It Will Be You

187 responses to Paul Young / The CBS Singles Collection / 20-disc CD singles box set

1. elliott buckingham says:

the 1st 7 discs are essential listening

2. Anthony says:

Paul, you weren’t able to locate the Laurie Latham remix of Hope in a Hopeless World? As we have talked about it before, it was labeled correctly but not added on either the 1st or 2nd Hope cd single set releasesd at the time…The only place I had part of it was on the Q&A CD that came with the press kit fold out version of the CD…Would have LOVED to have that included…! :-(

3. mike says:

I’d have a stab that new to digital are;

Behind Your Smile (demo)
    Love of the Common People (inst)
    Wherever I Lay My Hat (edit) + (inst)
    Come Back and Stay (US Single) + (inst)
    I’m Gonna Tear Your Playhouse Down (alternate) + (inst)
    Everything Much Change (US single)
    Everytime You Go Away (US single) + (inst)
    Love WIll Tear Us Apart (live)
    Wonderland (inst)
    Softly Whispering I Love You (inst)
    Oh Girl (alternate)
    Heaven Can Wait (inst)
    Come On In (inst)

17? No idea about Tomb of Memories, would love the Difford & Tilbrook acappella though!

4. Griffin says:

Many thanks Paul S for another great project. Although I think I have everything already including all your Paul Young projects and From Time To Time Instrumental CD. I think it’s good to have the “vinyl” singles replica in CD format. Duran Duran Singles Box(es) was/were one of the very first I bought. About this PY boxset I would love to have all other versions of songs from the EU/UK/US vinyl/CD/cassette albums. But I can still do that myself once I’ve collected all the tracks ;)

What the story on the following?

And great to have his videos on a DVD. I believe I bought his Japanese LaserDisc somewhere.

5. DLG says:

Hey Paul – I’ve loved this site for years. Though from a storage/expense perspective, I try to shy away from huge box sets, despite wanting almost all of them. Especially now – my fiancee eyes me funny every time she sees my slowly-expanding Japanese mini-LP collection…

So this is the first time I thought – better pre-order this release to be sure I get it. So…ordered!
    Thanks so much to everyone who made this happen.

6. Tony O says:

I once had a sleeping pet that I mistook for a garden ornament….wherever I lay my cat, that’s my Gnome…..I’ll get my coat

• Chris Squires says:

“Every Time you go away, you take a pizza free with you”
      This was really one of the joke lines that Gary Davies used to do on the Radio 1. Rather like a little Ronnie Corbett joke Gary would spin out a story and the punchline was always a song title. Happy Days when Radio 1 and the chart countdown mattered.

7. Stefano says:

Great piece of work Paul. Hopefully Sony will ask your assistance with developing a long overdue multipiece set on Sade (if the lady is finally willing).

One question about this terrific box set (which I pre-ordered today). The original vinyl LP mix of ‘Love Of The Common People’ isn’t added on Disc 2. What’s the real story about that one? We all know it’s on the US ‘No Parlez’ CD edition, but obviously there’s much need for a remaster.

8. John O'Neill says:

Hi Paul,

Why is postage so expensive to Australia :( ?.

Thanks,

John

It’s £19….which I don’t think is too bad, to send something fairly heavy, so far away. More or less what Royal Mail charge us…

9. Vincent says:

Many thanks to you, Paul Young and Edsel for this fantastic set! Order placed, so now let’s wait. Paul Young has been one favorite artists of the 80s since this decade, so I can’t wait to listen to this fantastic collection.
    Thanks for your great work on this website and your other works, Paul!

10. Rach Brown says:

11. Nathan Veenstra says:

Shut up and take my money already.

Damn this is sweet. And at a ridiculous price. As in ridiculously cheap for what you get.

12. Andrea says:

Hi Paul, I don’t think I saw anything, in your feature, about the sources used for this set, while for the “Tomb of Memories” box the use of original sources was very much emphasized, and rightly so, with pictures of the actual tapes and so on.

I’m just curious because while I imagine it might be somewhat “easier” (even if I know these things are never really easy) to work with Sony for a boxset of Sony-owned material, I also imagine that licensing the actual tapes might not be so easy when working with a third party label (and these are often the limits within which a label such as Edsel has to work – The Pretenders come painfully to mind).
    Thanks for any insight!
    Andrea

A lot of the work had been done with Remixes and Rarities and Tomb of Memories on transferring and remastering tapes. So the idea was to use those remasters, where we could, since there was really no need remaster those again. There was so much content though, so there was inevitably a variety of sources. There’s a limit to how much you can micro-manage the source for each individual track on a 100+ box set but I have no concerns about the audio and I’m sure it will sound great.

• Andrea says:

Let’s hope so. Tomb Of Memories was great, sound and everything – top notch.
        With Edsel I’m crossing my fingers :)

13. Tim says:

Hi Paul,
    Could you indicate on the track listing which are new to cd, which have never been released before etc?
    Thanks

14. Wayne Olsen says:

What a beautiful package. Made with obvious love

15. tom m hans says:

Congratulations to this splendid box set. I am beyond thrilled. Very very well done and I am so looking forward to it. Merry Christmas!

16. Chris Squires says:

One final thought. It’s lovely that you used the original cover to Love of the Common People. The second and more common one is so similar to “Hat” with a red theme instead of blue but the original 1982 cover is terrific and so different. Good choice.

17. Kauwgompie says:

Paul, are the video’s on the dvd in stereo or 5.1? Sometimes when an artist doesn’t have any original albums on dvd or BR in 5.1, I buy their “best of videos” on dvd or BR as often times the videos are in 5.1. I bought the Queen and Peter Gabriel best of dvd’s for that purpose. Thanks!

18. HEYMES says:

I’ve just order my copy / what a great Christmas gift ! ! Probably the best ever box set / 19 CD with all versions ever of each single of Paul Young / can’t wait to receive it ! A french fan since “Wherever I lay my hat” / Philippe from PARIS

19. Steve Woodward says:

Hi Paul

Looks a brilliant box set, but would like confirmation that Tomb Of Memories is the correct remixed 45 version. Your detailed track listing doesn’t specify it’s the single version where other tracks do??

Both Amazon and Demon are listing it as the single version, but they might be wrong?
    I’d appreciate clarification on Tomb Of Memories please.

20. Uwe Spiller says:

Paul,

I just got my Tomb Of Memories box set a few weeks ago. Before I start the daunting task of comparing track listings, do you have a number at hand about the track overlap count of these two compilations?

Thanks, much appreciated!

Not really… but yes, there’s obviously a reasonable amount of overlap. However Tomb was almost the opposite of this set, because the ‘rule’ with Tomb was not to repeat tracks, so no two versions of the same song, whereas this is a very different beast of course.

21. El Nino says:

How odd – most of the time I read the comments about box sets all you dudes do is moan.
    How can you like this set! No BluRay! No vinyl! No download code! No 5.1! No marbles!
    Just kidding. This is a cool box set.
    Far too expensive of course.

• Chris Squires says:

Ha! Funnily enough I did write a short post about how I wish there was a 6LP 60 track crossover between this and Tomb of Memories. Kinda like the American Treasure / Joni Mitchell book style releases. Plenty of room for essays and explanations about versions and how things happened. £90 – £110. To have the full 8.55 version of “I was in chains” on vinyl finally….

But I ditched the post before sending as I didn’t want to sound ungrateful when we already have what many 80s acts could kill for. But now I guess I do sound ungrateful….
      I am sure Sony would go for it (big smiley face and fingers crossed – I know they won’t)

22. KevinK says:

Hi Paul, a great looking set.
    Amazon UK lists 110 tracks for this – can I assume this is incorrect, as the sticker states 108.
    Amazon lists one extra track on Disc 11 “Why Does a Man Have to Be Strong (Alternate Mix)” [which was on the Tomb 4CD set] and lists “Trying To Guess The Rest” on Disc 13 (as well as on Disc 11. The latter was a “b-side” to both but I guess a decision was made to avoid repetition as several early hits re-appeared as bonus tracks on later singles).

Correct… Amazon it is incorrect. Those two tracks are missing… we actually had access to the original analogue tape for ‘Why Does A Man Have To Be Strong’ and my ‘alternate mix’ from Tomb turned out to be the single version (with the ‘full voice’ chorus). Oops. Hence we didn’t need both versions. Trying To Guess The Rest, as you said would have been pointless repetition. That was spotted late on, which I think is why an incorrect track listing sneaked out… :)

23. Shane Marais says:

Hi Paul – very excited about what I’m sure will be a glorious PY box. Was there any discussion at any point about including all the alternative (and US) versions of the videos as special features on the DVD? I’ve dreamed of having all the alternative video versions for years (3 video versions of Love of the Common People that I know of, including a Christmas version; the US and UK versions of Come Back & Stay; the US and UK versions of Everything Must Change; the Royal Albert Hall and live versions of I’m Gonna Tear Your Playhouse Down; and the US and UK versions of Every Time You Go Away).

Yeah…there is a story about that. Will do as some have suggested and post a bit of a ‘behind the scenes’ feature on this set, although probably not until early Jan!

24. Julie Pritchard says:

While I’m a huge Paul Young fan, I’ve never been this much of a ‘completist’. What interests me most is the DVD collection, Paul’s videos never having been released on DVD before, as far as I’m aware. Any chance of that being released separately? It looks like a fantastic box set, but not sure I can justify the whole caboodle.

25. LeBaron says:

I remember there was an Interview track on one of the ‘Otis Blue’ CD single.
    Was is omitted from this box set because it had no musical interest?
    Thanks !

26. Filippo says:

Hi Paul, thanks for your amazing job for the site/FB page/everything and this very PY release. If you can kindly update the article marking wid an asterisk which of these have never been before on CD before that would be awesome (if some were, the hype sticker says so!). And/or which not already on those 2 mentioned compilations you worked on. I assume none is unreleased since they are all released singles…. or not? lol… cheers.

27. andy jones says:

No” you’ve lost that lovin feeling ” live B side off softly whispering I love you cd.Is this a copyright issue?

28. Disney Mike says:

I was going to comment on how much I hate these box sets in which every single is given its own CD — having to constantly change CDs in the player in order to listen to the music — but then I saw how much material is on each CD! No complaints here. If only all of these singles collections put together so much material on each single!

• AlexKx says:

Belinda Carlisle did this too. I think all artists should too…but really fill them up though.

• Larry Davis says:

The Girls Aloud CD singles flight case has all 23 discs filled up as they have all tracks from every version of each single together on each one…CD1/CD2/promo CD/12″/cassette with CD-ROM vidclips, karaoke videos, even games…nice thick booklet in a foam lined metal “flight case” with handle and actually lockable with 2 keys…that’s the standard for sets like these…for me at least…one that sucked was the Britney Spears one…yes it has a DVD with 30 videos, but each CD single only had 2 tracks…lame…

29. Daniel P says:

At long last. Paul, is the original single version of Wherever I Lay My Hat i.e. the 4.52 used? This has never been available on any CD compilation or CD reissues of No Parlez. I heard that he never liked that version and resung it as a much shorter version. This is the holy grail of getting every correct version of number ones in the 80s. Could we also get the UK version of Ferry Aid Let It Be instesd of the heavily edited US version as used in the SAW complilations?

30. Justin Bryant says:

Ordered all the way from Australia. Now we just need that ‘Tears For Fears – Seeds Of Love’ Deluxe Box!!!!!

31. Kevin M says:

Respect!

Kate Bush / Bauhaus / Siouxsie and the Banshees… could do with your golden touch like this… I wish, for starters :)

32. Tom Richardson says:

Great work Paul! Looks amazing! Any reason why a couple of singles were missed out (“Love Will Tear Us Apart” & “Bite the Hand That Feeds”) – and all the singles from “From Time to Time – The Singles Collection”?

The decision was made fairly early on to stick to the UK CBS singles. “I’m Only Foolin’ Myself” was also a single in some territories (not the UK) and “Come On In” was a single in Japan. The trouble is not only would the set become more expensive, with more CDs, there wouldn’t have been much other content on them really since normally any extra tracks were on some other associated UK single. At least with the UK CBS singles there were no grey areas.

• Tom Richardson says:

Ah yeah having done a little research I see the singles I mentioned were very thin on the ground with regards to extra content – no matter as the box as it is is pretty damn great!

33. Shane Marais says:

34. Benjamin Adams says:

This is the way all singles collections should be for ’80s artists – gather all the variant mixes and B-sides, bam!

Brilliant set, Paul!

35. Todd says:

I am so so so in. After seeing Paul live this year of course I’m in!

36. Torsten says:

Really nice item!
    Will it be available by a German dealer (like jpc) too? Postage kills the joy of shopping…

37. Laura says:

If I order now, when are we charged?

38. 7 says:

At last, the return of the CD single format! Wonderful news!

39. poptones says:

Congrats for the excellent work. It’s a beautiful box set and the price makes it very tempting.
    I like Paul Young’s CBS era but only his first 3 albums (basically the 80s). That said, putting in consideration the price and the fact it contains a DVD with all his 80s videos, I’ll probably pull the trigger and order this box set for the first 9 singles and the dvd.

I also have a question about the label, the previous box set was made with Cherry Red. This one with Edsel. I wonder why Sony (owner of CBS) didn’t show interest in releasing this box set themselves? Don’t they still own Paul Young’s CBS catalogue?

It seems only the likes of Cherry Red, Sanctuary, Edsel, Rhino, etc. basically all the labels specialized in reissues can make a box set like that these days. Major companies are making a habit of divestments to independent labels like Cherry Red or Edsel.

I find it odd Sony released a 25th anniversary edition of No Parlez in 2008 but the deluxe @ CD editions of the Secret of Association and Between two fires have been released by Edsel.

Thanks! Sony do still own Paul Young’s catalogue. Edsel are very much specialists in making these quite big sets so it seems big labels like Sony are happy to hand over these kinds of projects. Sony did release the 4CD ‘Tomb of Memories’ set however, and they did a fine job with it. Because that one was me working with the major label that owned the catalogue, there was a bit more access to delve into the vaults which is how I managed to find some quite interesting rarities and unreleased material that hadn’t been issued before.

40. Chris says:

Any way of getting the original vinyl mix of ‘Love Of The Common People’ added? We have been waiting patiently for 35 years!

41. Mark says:

This set looks incredible – and will echo others comments about how awesome this kind of thing would be for other artists, and also am very interested in how a set like this is put together – an insight from yourself would be very very interesting to read :D

42. Paul English says:

Brilliant! Pre-ordered. Great to see some of those instrumental versions included – I could never find the Japanese version of From Time To Time.

43. Chris Squires says:

Paul? Out of curiosity which video version of Love of the common people is being used? The one that starts in the fake living room (Paul has much shorter hair and he wears black) or the one that starts outside the live gig and Paul is wearing his fantastic claret and blue Royal Family shirt?
    Either way, neither can top the experience as a 16 year old seeing the fabulous wealthy tarts live on The Tube, breathing heavily through the opening bars in thin knitted tops with no bras. That kind of thing has an effect on a young lad…… utter heaven.

44. Brenda says:

Hi. Is the DVD format worldwide?
    Will we be able to play it here in the US?

45. Mike Williams says:

For us USA customers, the shipping options are cheaper though AmazonUK, so I ordered it there instead, but Thanks Paul Sinclair! How are the autographed ones allocated? Since I ordered it from AmazonUK today, am I likely to get a signed one?

46. Stephen Ko says:

Awww, gee. I just wanted a decent Paul Young singles compilaton, as none of the other 20+ compilations really pulled it off completely. And now here we have this! Truly a magnificent work of art!

I assume that when DVD’s get pressed for reissues, they are usually going back to some master tapes? So if you aren’t remastering to remove imperfections/scratches and you aren’t upscaling to maybe tighten the picture up, you are still left with a video source that is every bit as good as an expensive remaster… just with some inconsequential artifacts throughout? I mean, sure, remastering is lovely, but if it gets the product on the shelves in an affordable or timely manner, I’ll take an unremastered picture! I’ll take it eagerly!

Well if you can visit Paul Young’s catalog three times, here’s hoping for a follow-up Thompson Twins project! Those vinyl reissues aside, I don’t think there’s been any activity by anyone on the Thompson Twins archive since your beautiful sounding work (and the mastering engineer) on Remixes and Rarities. I still neeeeed that 12″ remix of “Revolution” from 1 of those 2 12″s… the one that still has never been released on CD!

We’ve left the clocks and pre-video credits on the promos on the Paul Young DVD for a bit of fun nostalgia! Not sure about sources, to be honest. You’re right about Thompson Twins. The catalogue has moved to BMG now I believe (from Sony). If they aren’t working on something, they should be!

47. Larry Davis says:

Hey I’d buy a Kate Bush singles box as well…I don’t buy singles boxsets usually because it’s usually a lotta discs with not much stuff on each one, waste of space, when I like things condensed, B-sides together compiled on their own discs or as bonus tracks on their corresponding albums…but there are exceptions… I bought this Paul Young set, had to, would buy Kate, and the Belinda and Bananarama sets, but for me, the bar was raised and set with the Girls Aloud singles box from 2009…it’s 21 CD singles/EPs with every version, remix, B-side, etc from all formats (CD1/CD2/promo CD/12″/cassette) together on each disc, along with included videos and karaoke videos, plus CD22 is a few rarities, and later on, Universal sent out a CD-ROM of the Karaoke videos together because many of them didn’t work for whatever reason and many complained, so CD23 is what they sent out…there is also an excellent booklet and tip of the iceberg is the packaging… A lockable metal “flight case”, foam-lined inside, and 2 keys & handle…that is the standard…not sure how many were manufactured, but it couldn’t be that many… So yes, that is the standard in CD single boxsets really, and yes I love Girls Aloud…

48. Daniel ( from Berlin ) says:

hi paul. greetings from berlin again and very happy pre-christmas season to all readers and writers here!
    i’m very happy about the inclusion of the instrumentals. i like that too on bananarama singles box set. sadly the kate bush set excludes the instrumental version of “running up that hill”. only one question: is the instrumental version of “everything must change” again the 7” b-side mix with the x-mas messages at 0:39 and at the end, or this time a clear instrumental ?

Hi Daniel… same to you! Yes, the “Everything Must Change” instrumental is the one with the Christmas message. I would have probably swapped it for a ‘pure’ instrumental if we’d come across one, but sadly we didn’t. It still makes me laugh though, that Xmas message :)

49. Larry Davis says:

Bagged this set, looks like a brilliant box, and was able to get a signed one on Amazon…thanks for putting it together Paul…would buy anything Mr Young does cuz not just his music and records are great, but he blew me away live and was a helluva nice guy when I met him and Midge Ure after their joint gig a few months ago… After this, deluxe CDs of all the albums…thanks again Paul, cheers!!

50. Robert Laversuch says:

Perfect – so excited by this. Cannot wait!

51. Steven Roberts says:

I’m actually in two minds as to this set. On the one hand, the first couple of albums are *great* examples of 80s pop – but I do feel the wheels came off a bit when he went all ‘adult-contemporary’ with the third album….

…what the hell, pre-ordered anyway! – hopefully the price will come down a bit before the release date and make it a no-brainer for me :)

52. Bridge says:

Can we assume that the DVD is All Region?

53. Caroline says:

I can’t wait, I’ve been waiting for a DVD of the videos for so long, I would buy it just for that! Order placed for this great set at a great price, thank you!

• SimonP says:

You’d pay 55 quid for just the DVD?!

I’d rather it came without, as these 80s music video DVDs are always crushingly disappointing with terrible picture quality. I’ve been spoilt by 4K for too long now to go back to VHS.

Looks to be a great set (CD wise), but anything after the first two albums doesn’t hold much interest for me. Apart the Crowded House cover I don’t even recall any of the other singles…

54. Schu says:

I’ll second the motion of Paul (Sinclair, if he has the time) (if not, no prob, love the website, forum, and alerts) providing a little insight into how he goes about putting one of these collections together. I’m sure each process is different, but in general, since we are all lovers of Super Deluxe Box Sets it would be interesting to know how you are contacted for a project, are the artists usually involved or just the label, how do you compile the music material (known sources, tape review for extra material, artist held demos), are you involved with other aspects of the box set (booklet, photos, design, layout), do you at least get a complimentary set for your hard work!, any other interesting aspects of running through one of these projects, etc.

55. Moti Cohen says:

Hi Paul,
    Can you open an Israel purchase option? I want to place an order and can check out :(
    Best, Moti

56. william says:

For a Singles box set, this is actually a good price. Seen others that are over a $100 for these types of box sets.

57. Mark Levy says:

Very tempted to get this collection. But I think the compilation I already have is enough

58. Craig says:

While this set isn’t for me, I appreciate the hard work Paul and others did to deliver such a complete set of material! More companies/artists should want to do this. New music, especially for these types of legacy acts, hardly sells, and the time to strike with these types of archival sets is sooner rather than later as streaming becomes even more prevalent.

The list of artists who could use this type of treatment is long – Depeche Mode, Pet Shop Boys, Dead or Alive, Thompson Twins, Erasure, New Order, etc. I know there are “singles sets” of many of these bands, but I’m talking compete ones with all the mixes in one place like this one.

Great job Paul!

59. Pam says:

Hi Paul, I read in the comments that you’ve just added Singapore to your mailing options. Can you also add Hong Kong so I don’t have to use my mother/in-law in the UK for deliveries (she has a habit of telling my wife that I’m buying vinyl – much better getting it sent to the office here ).

60. Craig Hedges says:

Paul, I’d be interested in reading a feature by yourself on the full process on the production of this box set, things like finding the original artwork, music clearances, etc. I’m not a fan of Mr Young which is a shame as it would be nice to buy a box set which doesn’t have lots of silly pointless mistakes which litter a lot of box sets.
    Can you work on a Thompson Twins box please!!!

61. Mikko Suhonen says:

World you like Kate Bush ask you to do the same for her singles and videos? I would.

62. Glenn Kennedy says:

When this box set was announced, I wasn’t all that crazy about yet another singles box set, that is, until I read what it’s contents would be. I think from what it look’s like, it is well put together. And I have to be honest, the dvd with all the videos was a huge selling point, at least to me.

63. Bruce says:

Good work, Paul. I’m hoping Swing Out Sister might get the same treatment in the not too distant future?

• johnwede says:

That would be amazing.

I don’t know their more recent music, but certainly loved their early albums. It would be great to have a set that contained old and new.

64. dazzler says:

I can’t find the 7″ single edit of Love Will Tear Us Apart.
    Not a UK single release, but could have been added to Come Back And Stay.

And I’m still waiting for the vinyl album version of Love Of The Common People.
    That’s nowhere on any single release, but also nowhere on an European Paul Young CD.

But apart from that: nice box.

65. Meadowmeal says:

I don’t want to be nitpicky, but am I right that the LP version of LotCP still remains vinyl-only for now?

66. Simon Carson says:

Would love to see a set like this for Pet Shop Boys and Level 42.
    Well done Paul!

67. John says:

Is the DVD NTSC Region 0, or is it PAL?

68. Nancy says:

Brilliant work, Paul!
    It’s a definite must-have for me next year!
    If only Kim Wilde’s classic i.e. 1981 – 1996 period could get the same treatment. That would be another dream come true.
    Cheers! :-)

69. Rafael Bonatto says:

Just amazing!! Congratulations Paul and Paul..hahaha!
    A great vision for a great singer!

70. Steve Woodward says:

Paul, can you confirm that Tomb Of Memories is the correct 45 remix? The track listing doesn’t state that it’s the single version, unlike other tracks. I hope so, don’t think it’s been on CD before!

71. Erik says:

Fantastic Paul!! I’m not really a Paul Young fan, but I have nothing against him either. It’s great to see these types of sets. I enjoy reading about boxsets even if I don’t care for the artist. I just wish some other singers/bands would get similar treatment instead of the same singers/bands over and over again every few years. Thanks for the good laugh at your “sigh” remark, that was brilliant and thank you for your work and your passion. Peace

72. LeBaron says:

I cannot believe it!
    Each and every Paul Young vinyl and CD singles I’ve been collecting since 1983, now gathered in a single box, furthermore compiled by the editor of my favourite website !
    I had to read twice your message to make sure I wasn’t dreaming.
    Thanks for us Paul Young fan !!
    Already ordered (via SDE shop of course).
    Now get some rest, Paul (Sinclair), then start compiling a Mike Oldfield singles box set!
    Thanks again !!!!

73. Gisabun says:

I’m actually a bit shocked in that era that the big track Every Time You Go Away had a total of 5 tracks on the single.

74. Steve Gilmour says:

Paul. Can you do an Adam and the Ants singles box??

75. Michel Banen says:

I’m no Paul Young fan but I LOVE 80’s music and this set looks brilliant ! With the DVD and signed photo this is just too good to pass up !!!

76. Nick Love says:

Having never really listened to either, but being familiar with the name, I just realized for the first time this morning that this Paul Young and Mike and the Mechanics’ Paul Young are not the same person. I never really listened to either but just knew that Paul Young was a vaguely soulful 80’s frontman. Apparently there was two of them.

• Chris Squires says:

There is also a very good Scottish Actor of the same name so when the Radio Times says something like “Tuesday 21.15 – Soldier Soldier with Paul Young as General MacDonald Brown” he isn’t going to belt out “Love of the Common people” with Robson and Jerome.
      Believe me I did make that mistake before I realized, not Soldier Soldier, but I think it was a chat show with “Paul Young” as guest star…….wrong one.

• Brian Stanley says:

Nick, Until I read in this post there were signed prints, I thought they were also the same guy and that this Paul Young had been dead for 15 years.

• Nick Love says:

That’s funny Brian, because when I saw the article headline I didn’t know much about the artist other than he co-fronted Mike and the Mechanics and died about 15 or 20 years. I popped over to do a quick search on Wikipedia and they had a picture of Paul Young from 2015 in the header, which was my first clue something was amiss.

77. Meadowmeal says:

Haha, Platomania’s online catalogue had already spilled the beans! As soon as I asked about it, I realized that of course it’s compiled by you. That means top quality is guaranteed, so the order has been placed. I’m looking forward to it!

Paul Young was in the Netherlands earlier this month. It was great to see and hear him having a great time performing his hits and some of his new songs. He even sung Love will tear us apart! It was a seated gig in a theatre, and the audience was a bit tame, but that wasn’t for lack of energy from Paul and his band.

78. John 79 says:

I’m going to buy this, just for Pino Paladinos bass playing on the early hits ( he is amazing) a good value CD set,well done Paul, you’ve come through again.
    Keep up the good work with the site.

79. Glen says:

Can you do a Frankie set next?

80. Rickjapan says:

Oh, Paul (Sinclair), you really know how to bleed money out of me!

I’m not even the biggest Paul (Young) fan, but went for this all the same, and of course, through the SDE shop rather than Amazon ^o^/

Looking forward to it, and the fact that you’re involved makes it much more of a “guaranteed” good thing

So, I can be listening to my Kate Bush and Howard Jones sets while waiting for this one, sometimes life is good…

Kind of pissed off about the Re-Flex cancellation though, but I guess it saves me money!

81. Andrew Lake says:

Amazing work once more Paul, well done sir. So much passion and hard work goes I to runni g this blig/website, let alone curating special releases like this.
    Well done too, to PY and the label for getting behind this so well. The bar has been set very high, and I’m sure we could all list several artists/ bands we would live to follow suit, but be glad that there’s this for now.
    Mr Sinclair, take a bow!

82. Billy Dojcak says:

Paul, good thing this doesn’t get released till next year. My music spending has reached critical mass. The League of Gentlemen box sent my wife over the edge.

83. Marcus Walters says:

Paul, great set, but will the version of ‘Tender Trap’ on ‘Love Of The Common People’ be the original B-side version? Think it’s the only version of a song not released on CD. (nice to see Paul relented on releasing ‘I Need Somebody’ again, shocking song but nice for completists).

84. CraigH says:

Wow, that’s a great put together set and cd singles have always been a weakspot of mine. If I was a PY fan I’d definitely be picking it up at that price. Hope other artists take note.

85. Chris says:

Really looking forward to this set…definitely going to pre-order.

86. Billy Dojcak says:

That would be great.

87. Steve F says:

Congratulations, that’s what I call a labour of love. If every record company could please read this, *this* is how you do it.

Any chance of doing New Order next, Paul?

Lots of credit go to Demon here, because one of the main reasons this set is happening is that they were really open and enthusiastic about the concept, were able to license the audio and make the economics work. With other catalogue on other labels it can be very different situation.

88. Marc says:

Who buys CD-Singles these days?

*sigh*

• Andrew M says:

Ok, Paul. I see what you mean now.

Ha! Thank you :)

• Chris Squires says:

Ha, that’s funny. Nice one Andrew.

• gwynogue says:

I stopped buying them…but only because they stopped making them. :(

Now that cassettes are making a comeback, do you think we’ll see a cassingle revival? ;P

Thank you Paul (both of you!) for this lovely looking collection. Expect to see a pre-order from me very soon! I’m excited about the DVD, even though my new blu-ray player is very unkind to old music videos. (Seriously, it made the recent(ish) Debbie Gibson and 5 Star DVDs look AWFUL!)

89. Peter says:

Is the live version of Oh Women still edited, or is it finally the full-length?

90. Alan B says:

This looks excellent for Paul Young fans. A superb set and very decently priced too. Now if only New Order would do a similar release with every variation / remix of each single per CD single….

91. Peter T says:

One question though … Why no blu-ray option on the video disc?

I pushed to get the videos on DVD… but they haven’t been restored and there’s no 5.1 etc. So truthfully, the cost/benefit just does justify it. The videos are great and a real trip down memory lane, but it’s not 4K Ultra HD presentation.

92. Peter T says:

Nice one Paul! Looks great, I might order this

93. Kauwgompie says:

Still on safari in Kenya. Found some WiFi again. No big cat behind me except for an angry wife. Not sure which one is worse. Of course awesome job Paul. I have the 2xcd’s albums that were reissued a few years ago, the Tomb of Memories box and of course the Remixes and Rarities 2cd but going to bag this one too. Love those instrumentals, I believe some are new to CD. Thanks, gotta run!!

94. Neil says:

Hopefully they have put the proper 12″ Mix of Everytime You Go Away on this instead of the 7″ Version which was never rectified on that 2007 reissue. Anyway i think i have the vast majority of stuff on this apart from the videos of course nice release though.

95. David TW says:

Not my bag personally, but if you can give exactly the same sort of treatment to an Adam Ant/& the Ants singles box set, I’ll throw my money at you.

96. John Archbell says:

Brilliant news Paul! You’re the man.

I thought I’d already owned a concise Paul Young Boxset (Tomb of Memories) but this is the dogs wotsits. What an amazing set!

Of course, the other plus is knowing that Paul (Young – see what I did there? Ha!) has a red line drawn underneath. I really don’t need anything else by him. Mind you, never say never. There’s always vinyl…

Will order straight away.

I don’t suppose you have any idea what the text size is in the book..or how big the book is?

Cheers

97. SimonF says:

A few years ago when the ‘a-hem’ Daily Mail was giving away a set of classic albums of the 80’s, I collected the set (mostly without having to buy the paper but that’s another story) and amongst them was Mr. Young’s No Parlez. Up to that point I had never bothered with anything Paul Young related but one listen to that album and my whole attitude changed. I absolutely loved it, so much so that I went and tracked down an original second hand vinyl copy as well.
    The Mail used the original CD release for their freebie which featured the full 12″ mixes of the various singles which made it even more fascinating listening. So much so that I am really interested in this box set. It’s just a problem of finding storage space.
    Looks like a really lovely item and would sit nicely next to the Bananarama singles box.
    Hope I can sort something out as regard this.
    Paul , if I pre-order from the SDE store do you charge credit cards straight away or wait until dispatch?

P.S. Got my T.Rex 7″ singles set yesterday courtesy of Amazon.de, and once again a huge Tanx to Colin for tipping me off about the low price. Excellent stuff!

• David M says:

Tracking down an original vinyl of No Parlez shouldn’t take long as it is the law that every charity shop in the UK must carry at least one copy ;)

Not a big fan of Mr Young, but this looks like an outstanding set. I echo comments that a New Order one would be great.

98. Chris Ng says:

I can’t find shipping cost to Singapore. I’m keen to pre-order to secure signed copy.
    Regards,
    Chris Ng

99. Steve Robertson says:

I couldn’t not buy this!

Gutted there are no extra mixes of Some People [my personal favourite PY track]

Well done Paul :)

Thank you. Talking of “Some People”, there was a very slight imperfection with the Dub mix on Remixes and Rarities. That’s been fixed for its inclusion in this set. The video for Some People is quite good, too.

• Michael says:

That song should have been a hit. Read an interview with him around that time he talked about Wonderland not being a good choice for first single & some people should set it right. The Otis song is great as well. I have the essential collection which is pretty good. Talented & I hope he is well. Regards Paul I would love a Dead Or Alive box like this. And Wham!s music remastered which is probably number one on my wish list. Thanks Paul.

100. Liam Bastick says:

Well done on putting this together. I understand the rules of what should be included, but ’tis a shame Senza Una Donna is excluded. You can’t have everything though – where would you put it? And kudos to ParcelForce for charging an arm and a leg for shipping. I am expecting their CEO to hand deliver it to me :-)

101. Thorsten says:

Hi Paul, what about the “Love Will Tear Us Apart“ Single?

102. Barry Frost says:

Looks a great package but wondering what the sound quality is like as it doesn’t mention ‘ remastered ‘ etc ?

Some of this set uses the 2015 mastering from Tomb of Memories, which didn’t need any ‘improving’ some come from original tapes etc. I’m confident this will be a good sounding package.

103. Klaus says:

Paul Young will sign or already has signed 1500 prints for this? Wow, that’s what i call work ethics. Hats off to him.

104. Leif says:

Super!
    I ordered it right now.

105. Joe says:

This is really good Paul. Not someone I would have thought of for a singles boxset but this looks great. Already ordered.

106. Urs says:

This looks very nice! I wish more artists would get this kind of treatment!

107. mike says:

Hi Paul, can you flag up what is currently unreleased please? would be useful to judge as I have lost the plot of what has come out over the years! thanks

108. Chris Squires says:

This is fabulous news. What a spectacular set. I can remember the very day and place I bought most of these singles e.g. Oh girl – Rhyl, North Wales, a posh hotel on expenses with a company I knew I was about to be sacked from. I bought this the day I found out I had just landed a new job with a pay rise. To be fair I had spent the week trawling record shops instead of working so it was a fair cop. That’s how engrained physical music is in my psyche, you won’t get those memories with Spotify in 28 and a half years time. Paul (Young) you are a massive hero of mine and I am in. SDE shop here I come…. in about 15 minutes as I am caught up with Lionheart right now.

Thanks Chris! You probably didn’t need to put ‘Young’ in brackets :)

• Chris Squires says:

Didn’t want it going to your head now we have internet Bloggers on “Strictly”….. and now Paul Sinclair doing the Argentine Tango…..
        Seriously though it looks a bang up job. As someone says above other artists could easily do something similar (but rarely do)…. maybe even an updated The Whole Story across 25 CD singles including all of those missing 12”ers? Now that would be something to get your name on. Does Paul (Young, again) know Kate? Drop a friendly word?

109. AKICKUPTHE80S says:

This looks amazing. Order placed!

Great work, Paul.