Pet Shop Boys announce more reissues: Please, Actually & Introspective

2001 ‘Further Listening’ sets newly remastered • plus vinyl releases

Pet Shop Boys continue with their ‘Catalogue’ reissue campaign, this time going right back to the beginning and reissuing their first three albums, Please, Actually and Introspective.

Each release will feature brand new remasters of the original albums and the 2001 ‘Further listening’ albums which feature demos, remixes, bonus tracks. In other words, these are the same as the 2001 editions, save for the remastering.

But those editions were very good indeed, and so if you simply didn’t get around to buying them at the time (they’ve long been out of print) then it’s a no-brainer to pick these up.

All three albums (remix album Disco isn’t included) are available two-CD editions with the bonus tracks and superb Farrow-designed booklets which features fantastic interviews and sleeve notes. Remastered vinyl is also available, buy that’s album-only with no bonus material.

These reissues of Please, Actually and Introspective are all due for release on 2 March 2018.

Pet Shop Boys

HMV uk 6LP coloured vinyl box 16.99

Pet Shop Boys

Introspective vinyl LP - 2018 remaster

HMV uk 6LP coloured vinyl box 10.99

Please 2CD: Further Listening 1984-1986

CD 1
1. Two Divided By Zero (2018 Remastered Version)
2. West End Girls (2018 Remastered Version)
3. Opportunities (Let’s Make Lots Of Money) [2018 Remastered Version]
4. Love Comes Quickly (2018 Remastered Version)
5. Suburbia (2018 Remastered Version)
6. Opportunities (Let’s Make Lots Of Money) [Reprise] [2018 Remastered Version]
7. Tonight Is Forever (2018 Remastered Version)
8. Violence (2018 Remastered Version)
9. I Want a Lover (2018 Remastered Version)
10. Later Tonight (2018 Remastered Version)
11. Why Don’t We Live Together? (2018 Remastered Version)

CD 2
1. A Man Could Get Arrested (12” B-Side) [2018 Remastered Version]
2. Opportunities (Let’s Make Lots Of Money) [Full Length 7” Mix] [2018 Remastered Version]
3. In The Night (2018 Remastered Version)
4. Opportunities (Let’s Make Lots Of Money) [12” Mix] [2018 Remastered Version]
5. Why Don’t We Live Together? (Original New York Mix) [2018 Remastered Version]
6. West End Girls (Dance Mix) [2018 Remastered Version]
7. A Man Could Get Arrested (7” B-Side) [2018 Remastered Version]
8. Love Comes Quickly (Dance Mix) [2018 Remastered Version]
9. That’s My Impression (Disco Mix) [2018 Remastered Version]
10. Was That What It Was? (2018 Remastered Version)
11. Suburbia (The Full Horror) [2018 Remastered Version]
12. Jack the Lad (2018 Remastered Version)
13. Paninaro (Italian Remix) [2018 Remastered Version]

Please vinyl LP 2018 remaster

Side 1
1. Two Divided By Zero (2018 Remastered Version)
2. West End Girls (2018 Remastered Version)
3. Opportunities (Let’s Make Lots Of Money) [2018 Remastered Version]
4. Love Comes Quickly (2018 Remastered Version)
5. Suburbia (2018 Remastered Version)

Side 2
1. Opportunities (Let’s Make Lots Of Money) [Reprise] [2018 Remastered Version]
2. Tonight Is Forever (2018 Remastered Version)
3. Violence (2018 Remastered Version)
4. I Want a Lover (2018 Remastered Version)
5. Later Tonight (2018 Remastered Version)
6. Why Don’t We Live Together? (2018 Remastered Version)

Actually 2CD: Further Listening 1987-1988

CD 1
1. One More Chance (2018 Remastered Version)
2. What Have I Done to Deserve This? (with Dusty Springfield) [2018 Remastered Version]
3. Shopping (2018 Remastered Version)
4. Rent (2018 Remastered Version)
5. Hit Music (2018 Remastered Version)
6. It Couldn’t Happen Here (2018 Remastered Version)
7. It’s A Sin (2018 Remastered Version)
8. I Want To Wake Up (2018 Remastered Version)
9. Heart (2018 Remastered Version)
10. King’s Cross (2018 Remastered Version)

CD 2
1. I Want to Wake Up (Breakdown Mix) [2018 Remastered Version]
2. Heart (Shep Pettibone Version) [2018 Remastered Version]
3. You Know Where You Went Wrong (2018 Remastered Version)
4. One More Chance (7” Mix) [2018 Remastered Version]
5. It’s a Sin (Disco Mix) [2018 Remastered Version]
6. What Have I Done to Deserve This? (with Dusty Springfield) [Extended Mix] [2018 Remastered Version]
7. Heart (Disco Mix) [2018 Remastered Version]
8. A New Life (2018 Remastered Version)
9. Always On My Mind (Demo Version) [2018 Remastered Version]
10. Rent (7” Mix) [2018 Remastered Version]
11. I Want a Dog (Edit) [2018 Remastered Version]
12. Always On My Mind (Extended Dance Version) [2018 Remastered Version]
13. Do I Have To? (2018 Remastered Version)
14. Always On My Mind (Dub Mix) [2018 Remastered Version]

Actually vinyl LP 2018 remaster

Side 1
1. One More Chance (2018 Remastered Version)
3. Shopping (2018 Remastered Version)
4. Rent (2018 Remastered Version)
5. Hit Music (2018 Remastered Version)

Side 2
1. It Couldn’t Happen Here (2018 Remastered Version)
2. It’s A Sin (2018 Remastered Version)
3. I Want To Wake Up (2018 Remastered Version)
4. Heart (2018 Remastered Version)
5. King’s Cross (2018 Remastered Version)

Introspective 2CD: Further Listening 1988-1989

CD 1
1. Left to My Own Devices (2018 Remastered Version)
2. I Want a Dog (2018 Remastered Version)
3. Domino Dancing (2018 Remastered Version)
4. I’m Not Scared (2018 Remastered Version)
5. Always On My Mind / In My House (2018 Remastered Version)
6. It’s Alright (2018 Remastered Version)

CD 2
1. I Get Excited (You Get Excited Too) [2018 Remastered Version]
2. Don Juan (Demo Version) [2018 Remastered Version]
3. Domino Dancing (Demo Version) [2018 Remastered Version]
4. Domino Dancing (Alternative Version) [2018 Remastered Version]
5. The Sound of the Atom Splitting (2018 Remastered Version)
6. What Keeps Mankind Alive? (2018 Remastered Version)
7. Don Juan (Disco Mix) [2018 Remastered Version]
8. Losing My Mind (Disco Mix) [2018 Remastered Version]
9. Nothing Has Been Proved (Demo for Dusty) [2018 Remastered Version]
10. So Sorry, I Said (Demo for Liza) [2018 Remastered Version]
11. Left to My Own Devices (7” Mix) [2018 Remastered Version]
12. It’s Alright (10” Version) [2018 Remastered Version]
13. One of the Crowd (2018 Remastered Version)
14. It’s Alright (7” Version) [2018 Remastered Version]
15. Your Funny Uncle (2018 Remastered Version)

Introspective vinyl LP 2018 remaster

Side 1
1. Left to My Own Devices (2018 Remastered Version)
2. I Want a Dog (2018 Remastered Version)
3. Domino Dancing (2018 Remastered Version)

Side 2
1. I’m Not Scared (2018 Remastered Version)
2. Always On My Mind / In My House (2018 Remastered Version)
3. It’s Alright (2018 Remastered Version)

136 responses to Pet Shop Boys announce more reissues: Please, Actually & Introspective

1. Glenn says:

Would welcome analysis comparing the new reissues to the prior ones (sound quality).

• Michael says:

All I can say is that the vinyl remasters sound awesome, compared to the old ones, fantastic sound. And I have listened to them on an expensive system.

• Stefano says:

2018 version It’s much better. Just give a listening to the streaming available on iTunes or Spotify

2. Carl Myerscough says:

No sign of any exclusive art prints at HMV this time.
    How stupid is that? They issue them for Nightlife, Release and Fundamental in July 2017, and then Yes and Elysium in October, but then don’t issue any prints for Please, Actually and Introspective. What’s the point in offering fans something nice and then not continuing the set?
    I’m not happy. :-(

3. Claudio says:

I think PSB had forgotten “Relentless” CD…

• Neil says:

They have forgotten a hell of a lot more than that. Adding a 3rd disc to these with remixes would have made more sense but they are clearly not interested in reissuing mixes done by others.

• Michael says:

The whole concept of these reissues, is to show music by the Pet Shop Boys, and NOT by any third parties. Like it or not ! But they have been very clear from the start about this.

• SimonP says:

If that is the case then why is the Extended Dance Mix of Always On My Mind on disc 2 of Actually, rather than the 5:55 Remix from the other 12″? The latter remix was done by Phil Harding and the PSBs, the former by Julian Mendelsohn.

• Michael says:

The Phil Harding mix was done sorely by him, they had no input into that, do they did with the dub mix. The collaborated with Julian Mendelssohn on the ” The extended dance version. He confirms that in an interview, on the pet shop boys community forum.

• Michael says:

The Phil Harding mix was done sorely by him, they had no input into that, do they did with the dub mix. They collaborated with Julian Mendelssohn on the ” The extended dance version. He confirms that in an interview, on the pet shop boys community forum.

4. Simon says:

Why is the 10′ version of WEG not on the Please FL disc?(its not a 3rd party remix)

5. Richard Rodriguez says:

What is the difference with the previous edition? none … it’s just Remaster There are no more remixes … I think they should have included a 3rd CD or it’s like the Fleetwood Box Mac – Tango In The Night that was worth buying because it included All Remixes of each Hit and Pet Shop Boys in each Album has many Hits and Many Remixes

6. 2wicky says:

re. the prices for the bundle of all 3 reissues on pledgemusic:
    I can see that the price for US customers is $30, for European customers it’s GBP 32.97 (around 37 Euros) – these are in fact the new ‘Further Listening’ reissues, however I can’t see if postage would be included for European orders or not.

7. Gregory says:

From what I understand in that statement from the official PSB site (“Each release will feature brand new remasters of the original albums and the 2001 ‘Further listening’ albums which feature demos, remixes, bonus tracks”), only the main album on Disc 1 will be remastered in this set. Extra stuff on disc 2 might remain unchanged…

8. Glenn says:

Saw these ~10 minute clips on YouTube (PSB discuss the recent Nightlife/Release/Fundamental reissues):

Nightlife clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xowsEpaY4UA
    Release clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-go94nhxqYw
    Fundamental clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpHmGXZTz-w

9. LOIS says:

Thank PET SHOP BOYS.
    I am very happy with these new reissues Deluxe 2cd PET SHOP BOYS.
    New master 2018 (better sound than 2001).
    The prices of the 2001 editions are too high. Please, Actually & Introspective overpriced, new master 2018 ???. Very very happy.
    I BUY REISSUES : PLEASE, ACTUALLY , INTROSPECTIVE .
    Those who are selling 2001 expensive edition (sous blisters) is sad that the new edition is 2018.

I dream of a bonus of 1 cd with instrumental rarities brand.

10. Charlie D says:

My only guesses and opinions on re-remastering is this. vinyl wasn’t or hadn’t ‘come back’ back in 2001, so doing this project was an excuse to remaster these for vinyl.
    also, didn’t legalities and ownership change from EMI since 2001?
    Perhaps they were forced to ‘brickwall’ more than they’d liked but execs insisted, and that’s not as in-vogue anymore so they had more flexibility to choose a remaster-er this time, or, master as they saw more fit if some kind of mechanical rights resorted back to them.

11. Pete says:

Not sure if this is a discovery on my part or me just catching up but………

Having pre-ordered from Amazon, all three are available to download in full via Amazon Music. Nice to get them more than 2 months early.

12. Tracey Spivey says:

I grabbed these 3 re-re-issues for approx $54 (including shipping to the USA) from Amazon.ca. Not a horrible price.

13. Simon says:

It’s a shame the DJ International remixes of It’s Alright remain unreleased (to my knowledge) on cd

14. Don Balfour says:

*******Introspective / Further Listening 1988-1989 [Disc 2]*****
    If you have bought the original 2001 version there was a mastering flaw of “”Don Juan (Disco Mix)”” at 4:51 where a single beat is repeated twice, and “”Your Funny Uncle”” the beginning of the vocal goes from left side to stereo…
    I hope they will fix this ….

• Mark Dynamix says:

Dan, this was not a mastering error. It was an edit choice made on the 12″ mix of Don Juan, and also appears on the b-side of the 12″ of Domino Dancing. Part of the original extended version, not a mistake on the Further Listening cd.

15. Gregory says:

If the new remasters sound good, I may buy the digital version of the albums I already own in Further Listening form. But I don’t see any benefit in purchasing the physical format I already have as only the musical content is (not that much) different.
    The down side of the collector’s life is that every new purchase of a given musical work makes the old one fall into disuse. And I hate that. With those Further Listening reissues, it’s the worse case scenario: the 2001 edition and the 2017 one look exactly the same in every way! Except for a catalog number and a mastering credit maybe.
    If you purchase the new reissues, you can virtually toss the original ones here. That’s not an option for me. I hate collecting for the sole sake of collecting. There has to be extra stuff on the new edition. A slightly better sound is ok for a download. Not a good argument for a physical purchase…

16. Gareth Pugh says:

My own strategy (!) at the moment is I’ll buy the 2018 vinyl remasters of these next two waves as I’ve never owned their albums on vinyl before and this year’s five sounded great to my non-expert ears. I’ll hang fire on replacing my 2001 original FL CDs until the box set, if it materialises; then if there is no further new material/rarities in that, I can tell myself I’m still getting something technically different when I buy it! Am guessing the last wave (Behaviour/Very/Bilingual) will be circa June?

17. Mark says:

I’m in for all of them. New remastering seems very good on the more resent albums. If they are anything to go by the rest should be excellent as well. My 2001 versions are very worn after 16 years of heavy play, so even if they are only marginally better it will be worth having a new set.

Paul ,
    Will you be reviewing all of these? I’m sure we’d all love to see a review of the packaging and content.

18. Wes says:

I have a couple of the originals– US vinyl pressings– that are pretty good… BUT the last release I bought from PSB (Super) was issued in the USA by The Concord Music Group and they are well known for the horrid quality of their vinyl releases– true craptastic quality and amazing consistent about it. Wonder who pressed the EU versions– hopefully not GZ vinyl.

19. Steveasian says:

Bought PSB Bundle ( Further Listening: Please, Actually & Introspective) from PledgeMusic for $30.00 Plus $10.52 shipping, amounting to $40.52 , shipped to United States. So far, that’s the best deal.

20. Mark Jensen says:

I’ll buy these cd’s because I don’t already own the further listening versions. I am pretty sure the new cd’s of the actual albums will not sound better than the original cd’s, which was sometimes the case with the most recent further listening releases of later material. To my ears the 2017 remastered cd of Elysium is much better than the 2011 cd, but the 2009 cd of Yes sounds a little better than the 2017 Yes cd. Overall, I also slightly prefer the 2017 remasters of Nightlife, Release, and Fundamental over the original cd’s. But these were all more modern, fairly compressed cd’s in the original form. The original 80’s album cd’s are much better, and I very much doubt that the new remasters will beat them.

I’m also excited about the Introspective vinyl, as I don’t have that one on vinyl. I’m undecided on getting new vinyl versions of Please and Actually, just because I own original versions in pretty good condition. So far I have purchased all the new vinyl versions from 2017 except for Elysium (for the same reason – I’m happy with the 2011 double vinyl version I already had) and they all sound very good to me – better than the new or original cd versions, I think.

21. CJ says:

I’m going to wait until someone does a comparison on the sound before I buy. I love PSB, and I loved the original re-issues, but I can’t just buy up front atthis point if it’s going to turn out the sound is only a minor improvement. But if there really is increased clarity and range, then I’m on them.

I would like a proper, mastered release of all the Closer to Heaven demos that have leaked (and any that haven’t leaked if there are any). I love many of those songs, and to get them in good, clear quality, even in demo form, would be excellent.

I remember there was also a rumor at one point back in the 90’s that they had recorded a “secret” album called “Obituary” to be released after they had both died. Does anyone know if there is actually any truth to that, or if it was just another silly internet rumor?

22. Matt Wells says:

only a technical point but when we come to look back on these remasters in say 5 years and they say 2018 remastered version, they were in fact actually ‘remastered’ in 2017, the release date shouldn’t be the guide for the remaster date should it?

• daveid76 says:

Why not? It’s the year it comes out that’s important. Many albums are recorded the year before they come out anyway. It would only matter if, say, a track was remastered in say 2015 but wasn’t released for another 5-10 years.

23. Ian says:

Anyone know if the Pledge Music versions are same, packaging-wise, as the in-store/Amazon ones? They have the CD versions for under £33 for all 3, and all 3 vinyls for just £37.50!

24. I’m still holding off from buying all these new vinyls (though I did buy Nightlife). This is because I am hoping they will box them all together and put them in some, er, super, well designed box set. Come on guys, you know thats what you want to do. Then you could stick in some extra vinyls of the b sides etc. So I still need to hold off meantime.

25. Steen Hansen says:

Check out this link:

It’s very clear that if you want great dynamic sounding cds you have to stick with the original releases from 1986, 1987 and 1988. As for the further listening portions they were actually already heavily compressed in 2001, so I’m with Neil on this one: they will probably just get even louder.

26. Craig Hedges says:

Paul

Would you be able to do a feature on the process of remastering? Explaining exactly what happens when an album is remastered. It seems to have become this magical word that the record companies latched onto in the ’90s and they now if they release an old album and put that word on the cover they know it will sell. When CDs took off in the 80s record companies rushed to put out album titles so they did a straight dump of the old albums using the master for vinyl onto cd. These cd’s sounded thin and tinny, get a first release of Jarre’s 70s albums on cd and compare to the vinyl. Music buyers started to notice that that cd wasn’t the great wonder we’d been conned into but the record companies had another trick up their sleeves “Lets make the CDs sound like vinyl!” And hey presto remastering was born. I have up to 3 copies of albums on cd because thy have been remastered over and over. So Paul could you provide a report perhaps going to a remastering session, getting some photos and a full break down and explain the pro and cons, especially the cons.

27. memoryboy says:

Reading these comments, I feel the need to say something here regarding whether to buy the 2001 Reissues again… I personally feel very strongly that it is worth it to re-buy the first six remastered/reissued “Further Listening” albums again. Despite what Neil has said.

The recent ‘Further Listening’ albums that were released (Nightlife, Release, Fundamental, Yes, Elysium), if you have heard them, you would agree the remastered sound is excellent. No compression, sounds separated, the dynamics are excellent.

Somehow they were able to manage to improve the sound on some fairly recent albums (Yes, Elysium) even. It’s just a complete improvement overall. Including the extra’s on the bonus discs sound excellent. I am really enjoying the recent reissues. I expect the next batch this upcoming year to sound just as amazing. This might be the first time those early albums and extras will be properly remastered. I am beyond excited. I think there is a reson they are re-issuing these first six albums again with new Remastering besides just to re-release them. The sound is quite an improvement.

My suggestion is that you have already bought the first ix albums back in 2001, like myself, I would suggest you buys these new remasters, they are such an improvement.

And of course for those of you who never did purchase those ‘Further Listening’ reissues back in 2001, be sure to buys all of these. The improved sound quality alone is worth the purchase. Not to mention the extra’s, the booklets and photos with notes on each album and track by Chris and Neil. This is how all my favorite artists should be reissuing their albums.

28. Warren Mason says:

No US pre order…? Come on!

29. Dave V says:

I have the 2001 CDs and won’t be buying these ones … but as pointed out, if you don’t have the 2001 discs, these are a no brainer. The early ones have a much better selection of remixes than the recent releases of Yes, Elysium and what-not. Frankly, those Further Listening discs were a great disappointment because of the lack of remixes.

• Aevion says:

This was most likely due to the fact that there weren’t many remixes created by the Boys at that point (which is the strict criteria for the Further Listening series), rather they were predominantly third-party mixes.

It would be great to have some of the better remixes on all of these sets, but alas their rules are absolute. Meanwhile I’m dreaming of a Further Listening compilation for these remixes….

30. Michael says:

Paul, didn’t you mention there might be a box set of the entire Further Listening series?

Neil mentions this, in passing, in the Annually book. My gut feeling is that it won’t include anything extra, if it even happens.

31. Griffin says:

A bit disappointed! If they are “re-visiting” these then why not giving us the fans what we deserve a 3 or 4 CD set each album. If the 2001 ones were brick walled or remasters didn’t sound that good please re-do them. And include Disco as well with expanded disc. They can have my money, just give me/us what I/we want. I hope it’s not too late. They waited 16/17 years to give us the “same” again. The next time when they are re-re-visiting again to give me all the mixes. I’m afraid I might be passed away. So they can’t get my money & I couldn’t get hold of all the mixes.

32. Benjamin Adams says:

Of course Disco, the one I want most in a clean vinyl copy, isn’t included. C’est la vie.

33. Alex Jennings says:

They need to release albums on vinyl that are super hard to find or super pricey! Alternative would be fabulous!!

34. Ern says:

Just take my money now.

Thank you again Paul. This post perked up my day.

35. Magnetic Ham Sandwich says:

I suppose these 3 will come with 12″ art prints in HMV just like the five albums we’ve had this year. Does anyone know for sure yet? That’s annoying because I don’t want to have to buy these 3 Further Listening albums a second time just to get the art prints. I want the art prints, but I still have all my original 2001 Further Listening albums. If only they’d make the art prints available separately…..

36. Thanks Paul for all these updates,and great information about cd’s box sets,ect really appreciate all the info and your e-mails

37. Paul Spurgeon says:

Introspective was the first album I was given as a gift and was hooked from then onwards.

38. Dom says:

Unreleased songs rather than tracks that should be

39. Dom says:

Not being the worlds best archivist, and having moved several times since 2001, I’ll be picking these up to save tracking down my earlier purchases which seem to have vanished. Shame they didn’t add the brilliant Bounce to Introspective as they’ve evidently got over their reluctance to release previously unreleased tracks on the FL discs. I’d love to see a disc compiling some of their unreleased third party remixes

40. Stevie B says:

… and I My Lord, May I Say Nothing?

41. Jan says:

John Lewis did a version of Introspective a few years ago with the CD in a card sleeve. I’ll need to check what remaster that was.

42. Auntie Sabrina says:

The CDs are £11.99 plus a minimum £1.95 UK postage from petshopboysshop.co.uk

43. elliott buckingham says:

wish the non psb remixes were included the 12″ rent was superb and the longer version of devices blows away the introspective version

44. Michael Cuthbert says:

I will be buying or re-buying these for sure.
    My only gripe…..I just wish all the 2nd discs had all the single 45″ mixes from said albums.
    I was hoping that when these were announced a few months back they would been rectified this “glitch”.
    Sigh!

45. Rob says:

Wasn’t So Hard on Introspective? or am I wrong?

46. Greg says:

Why not a re-issue of “Disco”. I have been waiting for that for years and years. That is my favorite release from PSB.

• daz says:

the reason Disco (s) are not being re-released ( yet) is because they contain 3rds party remixes the further listenings have AFAIK only contain PSB material/remixes and Behaviour/Very etc will follow

• O(+> Peter B says:

Disco is my favourite PSB album. It’s unfortunate that the reissue of Please does not include the Shep Pettibone Mastermix of Opportunites – this is where a reissue of Disco would come in handy, to round up 12″ versions missing from Please. That being said, I’m glad that Please is being reissued again, just couldn’t afford it first time around.

47. Dave W says:

Anyone else disappointed that Disco is being ignored?

48. Rick says:

Good grief, how many times can something be reissued. I have the 2001 releases and have no problems with how they sound. I am actually more annoyed that vinyl reissues of Behaviour, Very and Bilingual have been skipped. It is a PAIN to find vinyl of those albums (esp in the states). Also, no vinyl reissues of the Disco collections or b-sides collections.

49. Michael says:

Will there be a large set with all the CD’s at the End of the reissue campaign?

50. Francis says:

I have the original 2001 editions but am wondering if these re-releases will have the large plastic jewel case and slipcase sleeve like the other three recent editions. If they do, I may buy these so they all match and sell the others which are in pristine condition and like new (if anyone will be interested? – wink wink).

51. Neil says:

I wonder when they get round to reissuing Behaviour if they will fix the glitch with the track index between Nervously and The End Of The World.

• EW99 says:

I don’t understand why people keep saying that (or is it just you every time, Neil?) It isn’t really a glitch so much as a choice to locate the index mark on a segue between the two tracks in a different place. The new index mark is where the second track begins whereas on the original it was where the first track ends (or is it vice versa ? I can’t remember).

52. Giovanni says:

A quote from Neil Tennant interview:

“Q:Your first six albums are also being remastered again – how much difference will there be?

A:Well, it’s a controversial thing in some ways because I think records should just get louder. If you bought the collection in 2001, I would suggest you don’t buy them again because I think it’s a bit ridiculous really. It’s exactly the same tracks and the same packaging and the same booklet, it’s just that they’ve been mastered again.
    I asked our mastering engineer, ‘Do you think you can make them sound better than they did in 2001?’ And he said, “Yes we can, definitely.” And part of me is even slightly sceptical about that. You’re not getting any extra tracks or anything. Stick to your old ones, that’s my advice.”

Source : http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-40592576

53. David Smith says:

Forgot to say that the CDs are only £11.99 on official website

54. DJ Salinger says:

I’ve been perfectly happy with the 2001 editions but if the 2018 remasters are a noticeable improvement sound-wise, then I’m in again. This is their imperial phase after all, and worth the indulgence.

55. David Smith says:

I am delighted that these are being reissued as I missed the boat first time round, and this years have been outstanding in audio quality, content and value for money. I’m fairly sure I read a while back that they are being remastered as Neil was dubious but the engineer promised sound improvements (also states 2018 remaster on PSB website)

56. Giovanni says:

The original 2001 releases have a great sounding and loud mastering, i doubt that anything can be improved (maybe they’ll just throw additional 2 or 3 db through compressor,and some EQ adjusting, which will eventually lead to losing dynamic range).
    Lately i’ve seen a lot of this “remastered of remaster version”, and i can’t shake a feeling that is a pure cash grab.But i don’t blame anybody for that, it just the way market works. Its just stupid, to me, at least.

57. DiscoDave2000 says:

For the OCD crowd, these re-releases may quell some anxiety. What would be great for the NEXT reissue campaign would be BluRays with 5.1 mix and all music videos. Imagining what Actually, Behavior, Very, Release, or Fundamental (or any of the other titles) would sound like in 5.1 is very exciting indeed. They should really consider doing this before their primary market’s collective hearing is lost to years of headphone listening, concerts, and clubs.

58. Steven says:

Sweet – some more titles to pick up the next time Amazon Germany does a 3 for 2 :)

59. DJ Dust says:

Will these be remastered again, or just the same discs, plus errors, repressed?

60. fady says:

Superb albums and can’t wait to pick these deluxe editions up as I missed out the first time around (I just couldn’t afford to buy them as CDs were stupidly expensive at the time). The vinyl remasters also look like a worthwhile purchase as the originals I own are starting to wear a little; not surprising given how much they’ve been played.

Looking forward to the other re-releases but especially Behaviour which is their crowning glory in my opinion.

61. Paul Waddington says:

Annoying! I collect PSB CDs and I have just about everything that’s been issued in the UK, including fan club CDs, promos and interview discs. I also get every edition of every album, which, apart from the four different sleeves for Release, all differ from each other, music wise, in some respect. These ones, however, will only differ, I suspect, in that they will sound louder. I don’t see what was wrong with the previous releases. Nevertheless, I’ll end up getting these ones to keep the collection going, so the only question is whether I think they’ll ever drop in price. Probably not.

• memoryboy says:

The remastering is much much better (Just have a listen to the recent five albums reissued earlier this year)

62. toni says:

Have the 3 original lps and sounds great, No bonus tracks in the vinyl reissues!! Would the only option for buy.

63. Will says:

Great news.
    The mastering on the original Further cds – specifically the three in this article was horribly compressed with clipping all over the shop. Hopefully this will be fixed by this release.
    I thought they might’ve been cheaper than 20 quid – maybe around 15 but I’ll be buying anyway.

These UK prices will almost certainly come down between now and March. You’ll get the cheapest price courtesy of Amazon’s price guarantee, of course.

64. Pete says:

I never thought the original reissues of the first six albums sounded great at all. In fact, the original masters of Behaviour, Very and Bilingual are superior to these ears. The sound seemed muffled and the Disco mix of Heart plays too slow – noticeably too slow. Hope that’s fixed. Anyway, definitely on for these, especially as Nightlife to Elysian sounded so excellent.

• Lemmin says:

Totally agree and it’s a big reason I didn’t buy these the first time around.

• Carl Davidson says:

I’ve noticed that West End Girls (dance mix) is also slow and really hope the speed issues are addressed.

• SimonP says:

You’re right about West End Girls. It’s only a slight difference, one that I’d not noticed before, but it does run a few seconds longer than my 12″ rip I listened to it back to back with. I hope, too, that they fix that.

• Ziv Barber says:

The PSB themself talk about it back then. I don’t remember why they decided to make it different speed but it was their decision

65. Peter Nicholas says:

Great news, been waiting for these to come out on vinyl, have the original Introspective vinyl but will get it again I expect and the CD’s are a must for me. Thanks for the news Paul.

66. Neil says:

It’s a strange order the way they are reissuing these. Wheres Behaviour,Very and Bilingual ? I see Amazon is at it’s silly preorder prices again when i bought these originally they were £10.99.

67. Patrick Cook says:

Let’s hope the extras disks on these are not brick walled all to hell like the original reissues.

68. MusicFan says:

Oddly, I wonder if this is the first time a re-issue has been re-issued as a remaster?

I suppose the natural thing would have been to update the re-issues rather than re-issuing a re-issue.

I am sure this has been said a million times but updated re-issues with 3CDs would have been very much welcomed by fans.

:-)

69. Alessandro Liccardo says:

I still hope there will be a box including all the reissues, at the end of the series.

70. John says:

What was the problem with the previous releases ?

71. Daniel ( from Berlin ) says:

hey boys come out with “please” super deluxe edition !
    take a look at “songs from the big chair” and you know what it should be.
    happy 6th december to all of you! ( maybe someone have found something in the boots today )

72. furtheron says:

Would someone please speak to the fact that these are remastered and not simply reissued? I have the original set of these releases. Sounded great. Someone saw the need to remaster. Will it be noticeable – would be very interested in reading what others might be doing – will you buy these in addition to the original set? I am guessing label info on cover, discs, booklet will be the only difference other than the remastered sound. Perhaps the outer sleeve will use thinner paper than the originals. All of these further listening sets look great lined up on the shelf. Still hoping for a super deluxe edition of Please that has been hinted at over time.

• fady says:

I believe all versions (CD and vinyl) have been remastered. I’m definitely looking to buy these new releases as I think the pricing is reasonable and the quality is typically high from the PSB.

• Jeremy R. Bromley says:

If you remember the original announcement of these editions, even Neil Tennant was heard to say if you’ve already got the originals of these I wouldn’t bother getting the “re-remastered” versions as all the track listings are exactly the same.

• Jakob says:

I found the original Further Listening remasters pretty flinty sounding and I’m a person who rarely has a beef with remastering. They weren’t unlistenable by any stretch, but I think these will sound better than that. I’ll probably pick up Please first and do an A/B test before plunging for the rest though.

• memoryboy says:

It says they are remastered in the Post (above). if you have heard them, you would agree the remastered sound is excellent. No compression, sounds separated, the dynamics are excellent.

73. Jeremy R. Bromley says:

Interesting that they’ve decided to release introspective Vinyl on a single disc, rather than the original 3x 12″ set.

• Mike the Fish says:

Introspective was originally 1xLP. There was a 3 X coloured 12″ promo and the large labeled 3 X 12″ was a later special edition, as I recall.

• DJ Dust says:

Introspective was always a single LP. The triple 12” was a limited edition version that came later.

• Garry says:

Hi Jeremy – the 3 x 12″ edition was actually a limited edition version when originally released – it was supposed to appeal to DJs (except the 10 extremely limited edition clear vinyl 3 x 12″ editions which went to record company execs). The standard edition was a single disc.

• fady says:

They actually released a single disc version as well back in the day. Truth be told, I’d rather they stuck to a single disc for a 6 track album even taking into account the fact the tracks are extended versions.

• The Introspective triple 12” was a limited edition release. The original was always a single disc.

74. Chris says:

Happy Days are here again :)

Even though I have the original versions, the urge to buy them again is real…plenty of time to think about it.