Catalogue: 1985-2012 / Pet Shop Boys reissues with ‘Further Listening’ discs

‘Catalogue’ reissue series starts with Nightlife, Release and Fundamental

Three of the long anticipated Pet Shop Boys reissues will finally emerge next month as Parlophone reissue multi-disc ‘Further Listening’ editions of the albums Nightlife, Release and Fundamental. These effectively kick off a year of reissues under the ‘Catalogue: 1985-2012’ banner.

All audio is newly re/mastered and both 1999’s Nightlife and 2002’s Release are three-CD sets, with two ‘Further Listening’ discs apiece. Fundamental (from 2006) is a two-disc package, consistent with the original reissues which were put out sixteen long years ago, in 2001.

The approach is broadly consistent with what’s come before. For example, there were over 20 third-party remixes (in total) on the three Nightlife singles that were issued on CD and 12-inch vinyl back in the day, but none of them are included here. Rather the bonus discs seek to mop up unreleased tracks, B-sides, demos, curiosities and remixes created by Neil and Chris themselves (e.g. ‘The PSB Extension’). The occasional live track also gets a look in.

You need to keep an eye on the timelines too, since sometimes it appears that bonus material is in the ‘wrong’ place. For example the demo of Fundamental’s Numb, is on the second of Release’s Further Listening discs. That’s because it dates from the period 2001 – 2004, at least two years before the album came out.

The bonus discs included with Release are quite interesting. They feature four previously unreleased tracks (Motoring; The Night is a Time to Explore Who You Are; Run, Girl, Run and Reunion). Also, not only do they contain all A and B-sides from the non-album singles included with 2003’s PopArt compilation (Miracles and Flamboyant) but they also features the demos of Flamboyant and Jack And Jill Party – the latter being a song that Neil and Chris gave to Pete Burns, who issued it as a single in 2004.

The same disc also features two collaborations with Elton John: In Private and the previously unreleased Alone Again, Naturally. The ‘Barfly’ version of It’s A Sin completes the third disc in the set. That was recorded for a 2004 appearance on Parkinson and previously appeared on the Popjustice: 100% Solid Pop Music compilation (issued in 2006).

Pet Shop Boys perform the ‘Barfly’ version of ‘It’s A Sin’ on Parkinson in 2004.

Back in 2006, early versions of Fundamental came with a bonus disc, Fundamentalism. Only one track from this is repeated on the new Further Listening disc and that’s a remastered version of  the Richard X Extended Mix of Fugitive. However, the ‘PSB maxi-mix’ of I’m With Stupid appeared on the Japanese Fundamentalism and that is also included on the new reissue. As is the demo of  The Sodom and Gomorrah Show, which was (and still is) an iTunes-only bonus track. A second iTunes exclusive, the demo of I’m With Stupid, hasn’t been included on the Further Listening 2005-2007 bonus disc. As far as I’m aware, that remains unreleased on CD.

Three unreleased tracks – Ring Road, One-way Street and Dancing in the Dusk – appear on the Fundamental bonus disc in demo form.

As before, the reissues will be packaged with an “extensive booklet” in which Neil Tennant
and Chris Lowe discuss each song. The entire project is designed by Farrow.

All three multi-disc CD reissues are due on 28 July 2017 (although Amazon currently has 7 July as the release date). Expect the prices below to drop significantly between now and when these are issued. The remastered original single albums of Nightlife, Release and Fundamental will also be reissued on 180gm heavyweight vinyl.

The ‘Catalogue’ reissues will continue over the next year until all PSB Parlophone albums have been released with ‘Further listening’ albums. The good news is that the reissues of Please, Actually, Introspective, Behaviour, Very and Bilingual will all be newly remastered (fans didn’t rate the original remastering). Original track listings remain.

Pet Shop Boys

Nightlife - 3CD deluxe

FNAC fr 6LP coloured vinyl box 19.99

Pet Shop Boys

Release - 3CD deluxe

FNAC fr 6LP coloured vinyl box 14.99

Pet Shop Boys

Fundamental 2CD deluxe

FNAC fr 6LP coloured vinyl box 17.99

Nightlife / Further Listening 1996 – 2000 (3CD deluxe)

CD1

1. Vampires (demo)*
2. For all of us (demo)*
3. Call me old-fashioned (demo)*
4. Friendly fire
5. Believe/Song For Guy (featuring Elton John)*
6. Sail Away
7. It doesn’t often snow at Christmas (Fan club mix)
8. Nightlife
9. Playing in the streets*
10. Tall thin men*
11. Radiophonic (demo)*

CD3
1. Somebody else’s business
2. Silver age
3. Screaming
4. For all of us**
5. The ghost of myself
6. Casting a shadow
7. I don’t know what you want but I can’t give it any more (The PSB Extension): 8.39
8. Was it worth it? (live)**
9. Lies
10. Paris city boy (Full French)*
11. Positive role model
12. Somebody else’s business (extended mix)**

* Previously unreleased
**Previously unreleased on CD

Release / Further Listening 2001 – 2004 (3CD edition)

CD1

3. Time on my hands
4. Motoring (demo)*
5. Love life**
6. Transparent
7. Sexy Northerner
8. The night is a time to explore who you are (demo)*
9. Closer to Heaven (slow version)
10. Run, girl, run (demo)*
11. I didn’t get where I am today
12. Always
13. Home and dry (ambient mix)
14. Bright young things (demo)*
15. Kazak*
16. A powerful friend (John Peel version)*
17. If looks could kill (John Peel version)*

CD3
1. Try it (I’m in love with a married man)
2. Here (PSB new extended mix)
3. If looks could kill
4. A powerful friend**
5. Party song
6. No excuse (demo)*
7. Blue on blue
8. Jack and Jill party (demo)*
9. Baby (demo)
10. Flamboyant (original demo)
11. Miracles
12. Flamboyant (7” mix)
13. Numb (demo)
14. In private (featuring Elton John)
15. Alone again, naturally (featuring Elton John)*
16. Reunion (Electro mix)*
17. Bright young things
18. We’re the Pet Shop Boys
19. It’s a sin (Barfly version)

* Previously unreleased

8. I’m with Stupid
9. Casanova in Hell
10. Twentieth century
11. Indefinite leave to remain
12. Integral

CD2
1. Fugitive (Richard X extended mix)
2. Ring road (demo)*
3. The performance of my life (demo)*
4. One-way street (demo)*
5. Girls don’t cry
6. The Resurrectionist
7. The Sodom and Gomorrah Show (original demo)**
8. Dancing in the dusk (demo)*
9. After the event
10. The former enfant terrible
11. No time for tears (orchestral mix)*
12. God willing (original full-length mix)*
13. I’m with Stupid (PSB maxi-mix)
14. Answer the phone! (ringtone)**
15. Where are you? (ringtone)**
16. Water (ringtone)**
17. Numb (single edit)
18. One night
19. A certain “Je ne sais quoi”
20. Transfer (Visionaire mix)*
21. Integral (PSB Perfect Immaculate 7” mix)**
22. Integral (PSB Perfect Immaculate mix)

* Previously unreleased
** Previously unreleased on CD

192 responses to Catalogue: 1985-2012 / Pet Shop Boys reissues with ‘Further Listening’ discs

1. Joe says:

According to their website, it is the 28th July, for the release date.

• Greg says:

Sorry but this sucks. I have been waiting for a Super Deluxe Edition of “Please”/”Disco”, with all the tracks from that album, all the mixes, remixes and b-sides. They said here it was happening a year or two ago… still nada! What happened to that release?

It was more rumoured/hoped for than announced. Neil did say at the beginning of last year that they’d be looking forward to celebrating 30 years of their debut, or something like that. I think that led to the speculation.

• Daniel ( from Berlin ) says:

that’s right greg!
          i prefer more 3 or 4 disc deluxe editions of the first albums and not that
          later years – i don’t really like PSB after 1996 sorry.
          “please” / “disco” / actually” / “introspective” / very+relentless”
          on 3 / 4 discs box that would be fantastic.
          i thought last year PSB bring out 2017 a great “please” box set
          ( like TFF “songs from the big chair” 30 anniversary release ).
          this set should be a role model for all forthcoming “super deluxe editions”…

• Don Balfour says:

Yes I was looking forward to that as well..

• Chopdog says:

Exactly what I’ve been saying. I hope they have an aggressive plan to follow up this – what I’m calling ‘Catalogue Sampler’ – set of albums with a true Super Deluxe set of releases. As I will only take these on Apple Music at this point, I’m fine with that – I’ll pay when it’s the big, proper, all content release. Please!

• Brian Newton says:

Where did they say this was happening?

2. Pingback:Pet Shop Boys / vinyl reissues | superdeluxeedition

3. Dom says:

Excited for these. Strange that the demo of I’m with Stupid and the one of Indefinite Leave to Remain, previously streamed on their OS and very good imho, have been omitted. Booklets should be good if of the same standard as before and not as basic as the one for Format

• daveid76 says:

Very disappointed ILTR demo is missing. I never doubted it would be on here it’s that good. Also great shame about Little black dress. I believe there was a clearance issue.

4. This is excellent, if expensive news! ;-) And I am delighted that Neil & Chris have decided to ignore the myriad remixes in favour of far more interesting demos, b-sides and full-lengthers.

One assumes that the Amazon pre-order prices will drop to match those offered in the PSB store.

5. Stuart Russell says:

Hi, do you know if the packaging will be consistent with the first 6 Further Listening sets?

Don’t know. They may well repackage and when they reissue the old ones make *them* consistent with these new reissues.

6. chris says:

Actually (no pun intended), the song “Alone Again, Naturally” was released in an official capacity on this Gilbert O’Sullivan promotional CD back in 2005:

Good info, thanks. Although a promotional CD isn’t really being “released”, because it’s accepted that ‘released’ means commercially available.

7. Jeremy B says:

Hmm, approaching these with restraint. I will be buying them, as I’m lifelong fan, and “blind” buyer, but whether they’ll get much listening to is a different matter.

You mention that the re-releases of the original 2001 remasters “Original track listings remain” – this is also slightly disappointing/lazy(?) as I was hoping for some fresh stuff to come from the vaults from the early/halcyon days.

• Jakob says:

I wouldn’t count-out them adding a new 3rd disc to those sets, which wouldn’t make ” their original track-listings for this project” a lie. PSB have recently posted photos of the Bobby-O demo cassettes, which suggest they had them out for a reason.

Or it’ll just be the original Further Listening editions with new remastering.

Yes, if they did that it would make that statement a lie, but since the band and label specifically say they aren’t doing that, then it’s a bit much to suggest they probably are and are lying about it.

8. Auntie Sabrina says:

Nice news, you’re obviously a fan given the amount of information in the article.

Hope they don’t use those horrible cardboard digi-packs to keep the costs down…

• chrrr says:

Contrary to popular belief cardboard digipaks are usually more expensive to manufacture (mostly because they are non-standard) than plastic jewel cases. I happen to prefer cardboard.

Anyway, I am so looking forward to these. Hope the updates 1985-1996 remasters are less brickwalled and sound closer to the original releases. Behaviour, in particular.

9. Arndur says:

7 of the 8 remixes from the Fundamentalism bonus disc are missing from the re-issue. I guess I’ll be holding on to my copy.

• Boaz Halachmi says:

As PSB said a few times, these reissues contains mixes done by PSB only and not by other remixers.

• Saar Freedman says:

Would Have been a good argument ” these reissues contains mixes done by PSB only ” except they did include a Richard X remix…. [Fundamental Cd2]

• probablyrustin says:

Have to correct you there, the Richard X extended version is not a REMIX as Richard X is the producer of the song. There is no non-Richard X version. The 7″ is an abridged version of the Richard X extended version. So they don’t really go against their rule of “only PSB remixes.” It’s a question of whether to include the short or long version, and this is the ideal choice for a release like this.

10. Renato says:

I was hoping that Fundamentalism would be disc 3 of the Fundamental reissue… and maybe that Relentless would be included as part of the Very reissue. Guess I can give up hope on this one as well. Disappointing :(

• Albais says:

As Extra could have been to Nightlife or the second CD in a special edition of Release from 2002 and on this one we get some of the tracks in it like Ambient Mix of Home And Dry as well.

Just hope that one day they decide to do a complete all stuff editions. Ah, the hard life of the completists…

• Brian Newton says:

You need to look at the rationale PSB have given for these releases! i.e. Their own tracks and mixes only.

• colinthebruce says:

Thank god for that! Have you HEARD the recent remix of Burn on the Undertow CD?! I cant even listen to it all the way through!

I do think this is a great approach. I really love the Pet Shop Boys, because they are so on the ball. For their singles they offer mixes for people that like them and B-sides for those who don’t – and they still support physical product. Despite this, they are sensible enough to understand that clogging up reissues with 9 mixes of the same track isn’t that appeal for most.

• Michael says:

Well said Paul.

That “clogging” you speak of is the main reason I’ll be ignoring the upcoming reissue of Liza Minnelli’s Results. That Don’t Drop Bombs EP they’ve included is one big ol’ turnoff.

11. Paul Kent says:

Why “Catalogue: 1985-2012” when these reissues only go as far as 2006?

12. Craig Hedges says:

I’m hoping the packing is changed because the matt white outer slip got dirty really easily, probably better if they were completly laminated.
    Glad that ‘Motoring’ is getting released, I got a copy off the internet in the early 2000s and loved it, but Neil didn’t hence it didn’t get released. Also happy to see the John Peel tracks.
    Very disappointed that the original 6 aren’t getting any futher tracks added and they are continuing with this format instead of producing ‘deluxe editions’ They could have easily produced 6 disc versions of ‘please, actually, Very and Behaviour with external mixes and DVDs
    I’d like them to release a 12″ singles vinyl box set covering the first ‘Opportunities’ to ‘It’s alright’

13. MusicFan says:

It’s a shame quite a few tracks marked as unreleased are actually already available on CD albeit on promos rather than commercially available CDs.

As I’ve said, “previously unreleased” means commercially unreleased. Just because a track is knocking around on a promo CD, doesn’t mean it has been released.

14. Jason Ball says:

Any news of the vinyl releases?

15. Daniel says:

Pleased to see these releases announced at long last, I was hoping the demo of “The Only One” may appear which I preferred to the original album version but never mind , great to see the PSB have managed to get them sorted out.

16. Philip Cohen says:

Remastering alone wouldn’t (for me) be enough reason for me to buy all of the other(proposed) expanded editions again if the song contents will be identical to what was released previously.

17. Mattips says:

The release of Pop Art in France included Paris City Boy – The reissue notes “Full French”. Does anyone know if this is the same version as what was included on the French release? Looking forward to these!

Sounds like it…

• michael59 says:

personally, with the boys’ love to detail, i think it’s NOT the french ‘pop art’ version but a version where ALL the lyrics are in french. hence the ‘previously unreleased”.

No familiar with the French PopArt version, so you are probably right.

• EW99 says:

There is a longer version of Paris City Boy (5:22) than the version on PopArt on a French promo CD .

• michael59 says:

could be that version. but i wonder why they would call it “full french” and not “full length” if it wouldn’t be totally in the french language. well, we will see :-)

• Gary Russell says:

The French Pop Art version of Paris City Boy is the 3.20 radio edit. I would guess that the “full version” is the 5.20 mix previously consigned to the US promo CD

18. Straker says:

Did I hallucinate some recent mention of an “Everything” PSB Mega-Box a la the DOA Boom Box?

Neil mentioned it… I read it as a box with ALL the ‘Further Listening reissues’ collected. Speculation at present.

19. Neil Kelly says:

OK a little confused, Paul. I obviously want the whole damn lot including new remasters of original lot (never noticed bad mastering but there again i never do and had no understanding of such things anyhow in 2001). Do i need to hold on? Will price be ok for the whole lot? Price on the PSB site i see (as many mentioned it bettering Amazon at present) is very good at £13.99. Like many i’m sure by original remasters have naturally taken a little battering over the 16 years especially as bloody cardboard

It’s six weeks before these are released. By that time Amazon *should* have matched or bettered the PSB price. As usual, no real risk in terms of placing a pre-order, you’ll get the cheaper price when it drops. But obviously, people free to shop wherever they like!

• Neil Kelly says:

Sorry Paul i mean regarding the WHOLE lot as in original (newly remastered) sets literally the whole damn lot in one package. Will it happen? Any idea whatsoever on price? When? Not happy about buying the original sets again but if improved sound i will have to as i know these superior masters will be out there. They really should add a 3rd disc to the original 2CD sets, i feel, to make it really worthwhile. It’s not our faults someone messed up!!

• Craig Hedges says:

Hi Neil, if you have the original 80s CDs have a listen to them then listen to the 2001 version, you’ll instantly here how flat sounding the remastering is. The original 1988 cd of introspective sounds fantastic.

• Dave H says:

I think a lot of remastering loses the bass tones and make CD’s sound clean, flat and less warm. Too much bass and people will say it sounds compressed.
        As Craig Hedges mentions, when you compare versions you get a clearer idea of the difference.
        Some people may prefer the 2001 versions compared to the original. Personally, I prefer the original version with added bass and warmth.

• Neil says:

I was never happy with those 2001 versions and thought they sounded horrible so i picked up a box set called Originals from 1997 which included Please, Actually and Behaviour and the difference in the sound quality was crystal clear compared to those horrendous Further Listening editions. I wonder with the new remaster of Behaviour if they will fix that track index error that was on the 2001 version.

20. Craig says:

I’m happy for the fans that have stuck with PSB all these years, but honestly for me these don’t do much.

I’m looking for the first three albums and will patiently wait for them.

Hopefully the remastering is done well and everyone buys them so the program will continue until the early stuff is released.

21. Kauwgompie says:

So for those who bought the 2cd deluxe versions at the time of the original releases (like I did):

1. “Nightlife” came with an 11 track bonus disc. 6 of those tracks were 3rd party remixes so they are not on this further listening edition. Also missing is “Je T’aime…Moi Non Plus”. So from the 11 bonus tracks, 7 are not on the Further Listening Edition.

2. “Release” came with an 8 track bonus cd. 6 of those are on the new Further Listening edition. Missing are “Break 4 Love (US Radio Edit) and “Home and Dry (Blank Jones Mix)”. So 2 tracks from the original deluxe edition are not on this Further Listening Edition plus the video from “Home And Dry”.

3. “Fundamental” as mentioned already came with an 8 track bonus disc called “Fundamentalism”. 7 of the 8 tracks are third party remixes and therefore not on this Further Listening Edition.

So it looks like the original cd deluxe versions still hold some value, especially “Nightlife” and “Fundamental”.

• Aevion says:

Yeah I bought all of these as well fully knowing there were upcoming reissues. Have to say it was worth it, not only for the bonus discs but also for the fantastic packaging of these editions. Now just need Relentless and Yes Etc.

It’s a shame no additional material is being added to the first six albums. I bought the original six Further Listening sets, and despite the personal appeal of new remastering, it’s hard to justify the cost. I’ll probably cave and buy them eventually though….

22. Auntie Sabrina says:

Neil Kelly, the PSB website charges £1.95 for postage.

I wonder if they’ll do a ‘pop-up store’ – not up ‘ere though. It’ll be in that London I bet…

23. daveid76 says:

Incidentally, there are a couple of mistakes here. For all of us has never been released in any way (unless I’m very much mistaken) and it’s the seven inch mix of Integral Perfect Immaculate that hasn’t been released on CD before, not the 12 inch mix.

24. Andrew says:

Are these made in the UK only, or will copies be made in the US for sale in the US?

• Philip Cohen says:

No matter where the discs are pressed, there will be official (record company) U.S.A. distribution.

25. Mark Markinson says:

well that’s quite disappointing, ACTUALLY

26. alan hansen says:

@Kauwgompie – THANK YOU for the track comparisons – especially for that of “Nightlife” – my 2nd favorite PSB album. with that many tracks missing from this new SDE, it appears to be a very odd (perhaps intentional?) booboo.

These new ones are clearly not designed to supersede previous sets… which I don’t really have an issue with, to be honest.

• Mark says:

Very good point Paul. They are also not designed as “Super Deluxe Editions ” as some here seem to think. The PSB never conceived of them as compleat final editions of each album as say the super deluxe edition of ” Songs From the Big Chair” by Tears for Fears is. They are intended to be a remaster of each studio album accompanied by what PSB view as the “very best” of the non-album tracks recorded “during the same time period”

I’m absolutely thrilled to see these released. As I’ve noted in another post the first three of these contain 36 tracks! in total that i don’t have on CD. That is truly fantastic to me. In my estimation Pet Shop Boys could easily be rated among the 100 best artists of the 20th Century.

It would, of course, be awesome to have truly super deluxe editions of the entire back catalog with everything and the kitchen sink thrown in. I sure this will happen somewhere down the road. Until then I will be playing the hell out of all of these.

27. Daniel S says:

Paul –

Does the ‘Catalogue’ campaign include 180g vinyl releases for ‘Nightlife’, ‘Release’ and ‘Fundamental’ only?

Or are there plans to release the full Parlophone catalogue (‘Please’ – ‘Bilingual’) along with the ‘Further Listening’ re-releases throughout the year?

PS – Here is one fan delighted with this slew of releases. Bravo!

Fingers crossed! Thank you.

Don’t know about the early ones, but presumably Yes and Elysium will get vinyl reissues.

28. Auntie Sabrina says:

Neil Krlly, last year near to the launch their (not very) Super album, somewhere in London the PSBs opened a pop-up store.

Or did I imagine that….

29. Stephen E Cohen says:

“Release” was an unexpected gem of an album for me in 2002 (at the time, I had not bought a new Pet Shop Boys album since “Very”). So this is quite a pleasant surprise! It’s already preordered.

30. Ern says:

As a lifelong fan, I’m looking forward to the 5 reissue sets plus the remastered version of the original six.
    It’s great that this set of reissues has some demos that I wasn’t even aware of.

31. Omar says:

Not too keen on the Nightlife etc. stuff. Wish they would’ve planned of re-releasing the first four albums as 3cd versions, whenever that happens. The same track list as the old ones? What about all the remixes and Bobby Orlando ones that never got put out the last time??

• Michael says:

Will most likely never be released.

• Philip Cohen says:

The Bobby Orlando material is not owned by either Parlophone or The Pet Shop Boys.
        Parlophone owns the first 2 Pet Shop Boys albums, then after thst, the Pet Shop Boys started owning their recordings. The Bobby Orlando productions were recorded before the group got a major label contract, then they were reissued to exploit the group’s subsequent fame.

• Michael says:

Parlophone owns the rights for Please, Actually and Introspective.

• Daniel ( from Berlin ) says:

as i read in 2016 neil tennant wrotes about digging in the early stuff of PSB:
          ” we were so surprised what interesting things we found in the archives”
          and release a photo of DAT cassettes from 1984/85.
          i can’t believe that the DAT quality is not good enough for a CD release.
          peter gabriel and phil collins released their audio cassette demos on CD already.
          and if parlophone ( probably ) owns the rights of bobby o productions,
          why parlophone doesn’t release the material ?

32. Alan says:

The photos of the artwork look square, including the left side border. This suggests they’re not going to be a CD case with a separate booklet inside a slipcase like the 2001 issues were.

Glad the 2001 tracklistings for the first six albums are being kept intact. Nothing worse than being milked for one or two extras.

33. Shelf says:

Any intel as to why “Je T’aime…Moi Non Plus” is not included on “Nightlife” Further Listening? Licensing issues? Boys disowned it? The track is technically credited to Sam Taylor-Wood & PSB, so perhaps it didn’t qualify as a proper part of the catalogue canon.

Also, Paul – do you know if there will be separate UK and US pressing of these new reissues?

34. mike says:

As disappointed now as i was six weeks ago when the tracklisting was leaked on the PSB community site, crackers they havent released the full set of Closer to Heaven demos which would be lovely to have in full master quality, should have gone to a fourth disc or removed some of the filler on the two extra Nightlife discs.

35. Pim says:

Who wants to bet they’re putting these out in similar packaging to the Elysium/Format 2-CD sets? That’s the only way I can imagine them doing 3 cd’s. I’m sure they won’t like the look of a fat-box.

36. Larry Davis says:

Cool news, now I can get their stuff all back…I wonder with “Very” if “Relentless” will be included??

37. Peter Yarrow says:

I ordered the whole lot, can’t wait for the next issues

38. auteur55 says:

There are quite a few other fans on different internet groups discussing this box set as though it was something that Neil mentioned would happen. I would absolutely rather have the box set then all these in separate 3 cd packaging. I don’t want to buy all of these only to find out they are indeed putting them in a box set which I would much prefer.

39. probablyrustin says:

Great news, sooooo much material to sink our teeth into. Looking forward to seeing what pops up on the other reissues too, and to finally get my hands on the first two albums in their deluxe format without overpaying. Release looks especially interesting!

40. Michael says:

Day 1 for me. Here’s hoping the packaging matches the previously released Further Listening releases. Nightlife is a magnificent album.

41. Fady says:

In tune with the PSB’s trend of single word album titles, “Excited!”.

42. Fady says:

The press statement also included the info (as already alluded to by Paul) below. I’m looking forward to the reissues of the first batch of Further Listening albums as I missed out on all of them bar Behaviour (still their best album IMHO).

albums have been released with ‘Further listening’ albums:
    Yes/Further listening: 2008-2010
    Elysium/Further listening: 2011-2012
    Please/Further listening: 1984-1986
    Actually/Further listening: 1987-1988
    Introspective/Further listening: 1988-1989
    Behaviour/Further listening:1990-1991
    Very/Further listening:1992-1994
    Bilingual/Further listening: 1995-1997

The reissues of ‘Please’, ‘Actually’, ‘Introspective’, ‘Behaviour’, ‘Very’ and ‘Bilingual’
    were originally released with bonus ‘Further listening’ albums in 2001 and are being
    newly remastered with their original track-listings for this project.

43. Fady says:

I’d also like to add that the PSB (unlike most artists) give you more bang for buck with their releases. Their B-sides are very often as good (or better) than the A-side release. They clearly respect their listeners and fans and won’t release anything that doesn’t meet their exacting standards. So whatever they’ve decided to include on these reissues is perfectly fine by me as I know they’re only giving us what they believe is their best output. Respect for that.

44. David McCallum says:

You know you’re a designer when a most pressing question is how they’ll package the three CD sets to match the two CD sets. LOL

• Pim says:

All I know is that if they’re putting out these 3-CD sets in top-lift boxes I’m sure that they will reissue the first 6 albums in similar packaging. Will make it a lot easier for me to decide to buy them if the actual packaging is different from the 2001 versions :D :’)

• Don says:

It’s possible to fit 3 discs in a single slim jewel case. Several artists have done this. Check out Icehouse’s “White Heat” compilation, for example, which has 2 CDs and a DVD in a single jewel case. I hope they take this approach!

• Magnus says:

They don’t, unfortunately. I have bought the ones that’s been released, and Nightlife and Release are the fat jewel cases.

45. Neil says:

There is absolutely no excuse why the couldn’t add an extra disc to the reissues of Please through to Behaviour as the amount of 12 inch mixes and dubs unreleased on CD is huge and even 2 or 3 mixes from Disco have never been remastered as well.

• bob says:

You really need to understand this Reissue programme. The numerous remixes were never a part of it, then and now.

• Fady says:

100% correct Bob. It’s getting a little tiresome reading all the whinging and whining about what these packages don’t contain. Maybe it’s time people started focusing on what they do include for a change?

• Neil says:

Well i would say people have right to moan or whinge or however you put it when all they are doing is reissuing the original Further Listening sets without any extras and expecting people to buy them again. The numerous remixes should be part of it we have had two b side compilations which covers the vast majority of their output so there is no reason why they couldn’t include all those mixes on these even if they are remixed by somebody else.

I don’t think they do expect people that already have them to buy them again. They are reissuing them so they are back in print and people that didn’t manage to get them before or new fans can get them now. I actually only got the first three (for some reason) so I’m looking forward to getting the ones I missed out on.

• Michael says:

The Disco series withstanding, perhaps a PSB remix collection (what the boys consider the best reimagined version of each song) will come one day? I’d be up for that.

A ‘Disco’ box set with a couple of bonus discs would be cool…

• daveid76 says:

I’m sure there are plenty of reasons. Any.atuff not released can be released in a future archive project ie all their demos.

• probablyrustin says:

Same, I’m looking forward to filling the gaps for a reasonable price, as are MANY people. They have been out of print for *ages* and are neither easy nor cheap to get a hold of anymore. What *would* be outrageous would be reissuing the original series again with a few new tracks here and there, or bonus discs of mixes – then you actually, with reason, accuse them of trying to get fans to buy all over again. That’s very explicitly not the case here.

• David McCallum says:

Agreed about Disco box set. Disco 3 varied quite a bit from CD and vinyl. And the vinyl included “Here (PSB new extended dub)” which would fit within PSB’s (admittedly rough) rules for FL.

46. Mark says:

Wow! I’m not a completest, so much here I don’t have in CD quality. If it’s not in CD quality or better its garbage to me. For someone who doesn’t have the time or money to track down and buy every overpriced promo CD on eBay this is a god send.

36 tracks that I don’t have! And all remastered.

I loved the remastering of the original six sets but will have to get the new mastered versions as well.

47. Soren says:

Can anyone explain why The Shep Pettibone version of Heart was included on Actually (Further listening)
    If It was not supposed to be third part remix in the entire collections?

Two things to say about this…

1) It’s not a hard and fast stated ‘rule’, more a general approach (the Julian Mendelsohn remixes of “What Have I Done To Deserve This” and “Always On My Mind” are also included)
      2) In the early days Shep was synonymous with the PSBs, so his stuff is as close to a ‘house’ remix as you’ll get. It’s very different from latter remixes (Trouser enthusiast etc.) which completely change the song.

• Mark says:

I could be wrong about this, but I believe that pet shop boys were actually present ( and contributed ) when the Shep master mixes were made.

• Michael says:

That version was produced by Shep Pettibone and PSB, it was not a remix. It was then scrapped and they then produced the Actually version with Andy Richards.

• daveid76 says:

Yes, it was an in-house production, and a completely original recording. I think it was recorded for the Inner Space film soundtrack, but not used.

Incidentally, the album version of I want a dog IS an outsider remix (Frankie Knuckles), but is obviously not omitted from the FLs!

• EB says:

The Knuckles mix of IWSD was an original inclusion in the original tracklisting on the original album.

Your point is moot, Daveid76.

• daveid76 says:

I know it was EB. I’m not making any point, other than that track being an obvious exception to the rule.

• EB says:

You WERE making a point: “the album version of I want a dog IS an outsider remix (Frankie Knuckles), but is obviously not omitted from the FLs!”

Is your point still moot? Of course it is.

• daveid76 says:

It WOULD HAVE BEEN a moot point if I’d said something like “maybe they should put some outsider remixes on, given that IWAD was mixed by FK” but I was merely pointing out that that is the only case of that in tje FLs, which we all know, and why… It wasn’t meant to be the Gettysburg Address.

48. Soren says:

Hi Paul and Michael thanks for the update (-:

49. JT X says:

I’d be curious if “The Sodom and Gomorrah Show (original demo)” contains the Eminem sample as it appeared on the iTunes Store.

50. Mark Reed says:

Curious as to why “It Couldn’t Happen Here”, “1989 Highlights Tour”, and “Discovery” live sets may not be released on DVD.

Or a vinyl release for the ‘missing’ albums : “Battleship Potemkin”, “Concrete”, “Pandemonium (Live)”, and “The Most Incredible Thing”.

I also hope they would do a “Further Listening” style release for their extra remixes, in a chronological set, as a proper official remix box set.

51. Mike shaw says:

Having got all the originals back in the days, these releases seem abit flat to me especially the vinyl.
    PSB have been known to release some very interesting and fascinating way of releasing stuff and maybe a bit more thought could of been done for these.
    Possibly the vinyl could of come in a gatefold sleeve album on one disc and the other disc ( possibly coloured vinyl ) with tracks on vinyl for the first time or something like that and could have added a 12″x 12″ photo book, all would make a interesting buy.

52. Erik Vang Olsen says:

Yes. Super Fundamental Electric Release!

53. Neil Kelly says:

All 3 on CD Delivered (which is quite important)…

Pledge: £41.07

PSB official store: £43.92

Amazon: Forget (Currently)

54. daveid76 says:

The Release dates should be 2000-2004 given that the first 7 or 8 tracks were demoed that year. Motoring and Transparent are both in their original demo forms so this is definitely a mistake

55. John says:

£14,99 delivered at HMV.com Nightlife and Release, £12.99 delivered Fundamental.

56. Neil says:

I’m stopping using HMV as their delivery times now are terrible taking 4 or 5 days for stuff to arrive.

57. Jayson Green says:

To this day I cannot understand why they never included the extended version of Rent and the disco mix of Left To My Own Devices on the original Further Listening Sets, presumably disc space, but why 2 different version of Domino Dancing on the disc 2???
    I would have thought after 16 years these two particular tracks could have been included as apart from their original CD single release, they have never been re-issued as far as I’m aware.
    Paul??

• Neil says:

Probably because those two remixes were done by François Kevorkian (Rent) and Trevor Horn (Left To My Own Devices) Seems to be an unwritten law with these Further Listening sets that they won’t include songs remixed by others.

• This has increasingly been getting on my nerves, where people claim that PSB only put their own remixes onto the FL sets… Can I point to the “Actually” set, and the following tracks:

2. Heart (Shep Pettibone Version) – Remix by Shep Pettibone
        6. What Have I Done (Extended Version) – Remix by Julian Mendlelsohn
        10. Rent (7″ Version) – Remixed by Stephen Hague
        12 – Always on my Mind (Extended Dance Mix) – Remix by Julian Mendelsohn

That’s just Actually …

• Andrew Edwards says:

Yes but many of these men were the original producers of the track or were involved in the studio during the original recording , so technically they weren’t outside remixers…..this was addressed in some of the above posts……Actually

58. Neil says:

Looks like Tim Young is doing the remastering on these reissues just like he did on those horrid 2001 remasters which were flat as pancakes.

• Scott says:

Tim Young did a terrible job with the 2001 sets. Especially Behaviour which sounded so muffled. I was really hoping someone else would be remastering these.

59. Nigel Q says:

The set of all 3 releases is currently £34.25 on PledgeMusic when ordered as a bundle.

60. bertielego says:

Best deal to date.

61. Shelf says:

Amazon UK finally lowered prices to £14.99 and £12.99, respectively. If you’re in the US, after VAT is deducted and shipping is added, the bundle cost is £40.87 (approx $51.60). That beats the PledgeMusic bundle and the PSB official store (and the prices may drop further).

62. Koen Kroeze says:

I like the ‘Futher Listening’ discs… I am also a completist and like some of the remixes as well. So I hope one day there will be a complete cd-maxi box-set/re-issue including all the official (and promotional) versions, like Depeche Mode and others bands have done years ago…

63. Andrew Edwards says:

Amazon U.K. prices are now commensurate to the Pledge Music bundle price. Now Amazon U.S. has to follow suit. Prices there still ridiculous

64. Paul W says:

I’m a proper PSB CD completist, so I have multiple copies of all their previous albums and singles, including all the promos, interview discs, etc. I’ve stuck mainly to UK CDs (otherwise it gets quite ridiculous), but I have the more interesting foreign CDs, namely the ones with tracks not available over here. As I had to stop working due to ill health a couple of years ago, there are some gaps appearing, as some of the promos can be quite expensive, but I’ll be buying the next three further listening packages.

It’s a little annoying, however, that the first 6 are getting reissued with (probably) very minor packaging changes and a new remastering, but with no new content. They’ll no doubt look and sound a bit better, but as it’ll probably cost £80-£100 it would have been nice to add a 3rd disc to the sets to match the new ones, as there is so much more good quality material missing from the sets. I was expecting, or hoping at least, to be spending that amount on an all singing all dancing boxed set of Please, but instead I’ll be rebuying what I have already bought several times over (yes, I know nobody’s forcing me!), annoyingly being told in the process that the ones I bought back in 2001 weren’t up to scratch, hence the need for new remastering. It’s such a shame that the later albums are going to be better served than their far superior predecessors though, because if any 80s album was made for a 6 disc CD/Blu Ray set Please is the one.

• Damon Suttle says:

I agree, a big missed opportunity with the reissues of the 2001 further listening albums by not adding a third disc of bonus tracks to make up for mixes missed before. Will be putting together my own versions.

65. Neil says:

They could at least remaster Disco and add it as 3rd disc with Please to make it even remotely worthwhile buying again.

66. probablyrustin says:

It would be fabulous to include Relentless with Very and Disco with Please, even as some sort of pre-order or limited edition add-on, but I don’t see it happening.

67. Fabian says:

I would love instrumental discs of Please, Actually, Introspective, Behaviour, Very and Bilingual.

68. Auntie Sabrina says:

From http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-40592576 Neil Tennant on the re-released versions of their first 6 albums.

“Your first six albums are also being remastered again – how much difference will there be?
    Well, it’s a controversial thing in some ways because I think records should just get louder. If you bought the collection in 2001, I would suggest you don’t buy them again because I think it’s a bit ridiculous really. It’s exactly the same tracks and the same packaging and the same booklet, it’s just that they’ve been mastered again.
    I asked our mastering engineer, ‘Do you think you can make them sound better than they did in 2001?’ And he said, “Yes we can, definitely.” And part of me is even slightly sceptical about that. You’re not getting any extra tracks or anything. Stick to your old ones, that’s my advice.”

• Damon Suttle says:

So even Neil Tennant himself thinks its a bit ridiculous and to stick to your old ones so why aren’t they being released any differently?

69. David McCallum says:

Yes. His “because I think records should just get louder” comes close to Spinal Tap’s “but this goes to eleven.” LOL

PSB’s first six (though they started off the rails with #6 Bilingual) should be released with simple transfers like Roxy Music’s Studio Recordings or Scott Walker’s The Collection 1967-70.

70. LR says:

A minor point but unlike in 2001, Chris and Neil are no longer signed to Parlophone and may not have the same access to their archives that they once had.

71. shaboo says:

“It’s a little annoying, however, that the first 6 are getting reissued with (probably) very minor packaging changes and a new remastering, but with no new content. They’ll no doubt look and sound a bit better, but …”

Not sure about this. Wouldn’t surprise me to find these even more compressed than the 2001 remasters. I already have the original 80’s CD releases (for good sound) and all the 2001 Further Listening sets (for bonus tracks) and I’m definitely not planning to buy them again.

72. Brendan H. says:

I am going to wait on these, mostly because I bought all six FL sets back in 2001 and unless people rave about the remaster, I may just stick with the ones I have. Especially if the mastering engineer is the same(!)

73. Mike says:

Agree with Paul reading his comment at another PSB forum. Nowadays, the golden PSB albums (at least, the first five) look very sad in a 2017 of fashionable new reissues of nightlife, release and fundamental. What a waste of 30 anniversary opportunity for Please and Actually :-(

74. Jason Schafer says:

PSB could really use lavish box sets of Please, Actually, Introspective, Behaviour, and Very/Relentless. The other following albums are all varying levels of great, but have slightly less significant cultural impact. I would have shelled out for any of these in a beautiful and appropriate box including remastered vinyl and additional content over what’s already out there. It’s still a gift we are even getting these other albums as deluxe editions, but not at the expense of the classics. Saving up for the 40th anniversaries then? Hopefully not THAT long.

75. Mike says:

This campaign seems like this: The first six reissues will be the main guest to the big party of new five (as PSB said, ‘new batch’) 2017 releases. It’s a shame that apparently Parlophone already forgot that era of great sales of PSB. Listening to Neil saying “I would suggest you don’t buy them again because I think it’s a bit ridiculous really”, I get the impression that even the PSBs are not more interested in the old fans, but the new ones, giving them another (and very attractive, even with new remasters) opportunity to buy (from new) big part of their catalogue.

76. Auntie Sabrina says:

Roll on 2021 for those 40th anniversary releases

77. Promotionally says:

Neil’s comment, while reasonable and honest, does make one wonder if there’s a bit of bad blood between PSB and Parlophone. Clearly the Parlophone of 2017 is a far different place than it was during the first decade of their relationship, but things do feel a bit fraught. Given that PSB quickly jumped on board the expansion of physical format music marketing in the 90’s (remember the 3 CD single?), this retrenchment from a solid marketing plan feels odd. But perhaps I’m reading too much in to it, and Neil just doesn’t want to feel like the band is once again asking fans to buy music most have owned on multiple formats.

78. andrew r says:

After the first 5 cd’s/ lp’s whatever, they slowly went off the boil
    archness turned to camp they became a litle silly and Neil’s vocal range(such as it was)
    went. Nul points from me on these sorry.

• Violet Creme says:

Taste is subjective but I’d find it hard to describe the deeply melancholic and world-weary Fundamental as “silly”. Ditto Release’s heartbroken “You Choose” and “Love Is A Catastrophe”. Both albums are definitely worth a second listen.

79. Mike says:

+1 The new albums are not to blame that the old ones have not had (at this moment) a third disc. I hope Parlophone will reconsider this wrong decision in the coming months.

80. Mark N says:

If they are not adding another disc to the old albums then I’ll pass. All I want is a remastered 7″ mix of “Was It Worth It?” as it is so quiet on Discography. I’d like to listen to all their material but I know it would always bug me that that 7″ mix is missing. Instead I’ll just save myself over £100… their loss.

81. fred says:

I receive min from France … for the triple cd, there is a slim case for the 3rd cd !

82. Jopla2 says:

Got this yesterday, a bit of a bummer:

Thank you for your Pet Shop Boys pre-orders.
    While we received all of the vinyl from the warehouse and they have been shipped, there was a small delay with some of the CDs which are expected at the fulfilment house by tomorrow, release day.
    These will be sent out as soon as it’s possible to pack and ship and we hope you will receive them in the next 5 working days. For overseas orders it will take a little longer.
    We hope you can bear with us while fulfilment do everything they can to get these out to you as soon as they possibly can.
    Thank you for your patience.
    PledgeMusic

83. Conner-Bennett says:

I received my discs from Amazon US. The first disc of Release is missing and instead there are two of the third discs included. Does anyone else have this issue? It would be good to know before I return it.

84. Derek T. says:

I got free prints with mine! One of each of the new sleeves. Bought in a Fopp. I hadn’t heard anything about free prints.

85. Damion says:

Man, whomRe you people, bitching about these magnificent rereleases? As everything from “Please” has already been released and rereleased, we don’t need yet another version of that album as the Future Listening version is already exquisite…and I am so proud of Neil telling fans “If you already bought the first six, don’t buy them again as nothing is changing!”

I have been waiting YEARS for them to release more Future Listening albums, and receiving these today was one of the greatest moments of the year so far.

86. shaboo says:

“… and I am so proud of Neil telling fans “If you already bought the first six, don’t buy them again as nothing is changing!” …”

That’s not what he said. They are newly remastered, so there is a change. As the 2001 remasters were less then stellar, there’s at least the potential for a quite substantial difference.

87. Shawn says:

Loving these discs, but have to say “expect the prices below to drop significantly between now and when these are issued” certainly didn’t come to pass. Preordered on June 13, lowest price before shipping for Nightlife and Release was $21.99 and Fundamental $16.99 (Amazon US)

88. Guy says:

In terms of the packaging, the 2001 I got when I was in the UK and the 2017 in Canada. In terms of design they are very similar. The differences is in the cardboard sleeve, not as thick this time round (same can be said for the booklets). For the tracks ‘Previously unreleased /on CD’ was listed per track, now its listed at the bottom with *, ** and the Parlophone info shifted to the spine side. This is also reflected on the CD case as well. No ‘insert for media content’ this time round. I guess the design difference on the Notes is the white space before the date, whereas it was after the date in 2001. Nothing crazy to get worried about at any rate. Now I just have to listen to the music….

89. Beretta says:

Check for yourselves, but all i can say is Nightlife sounds 10 times better on my old 2cd copy, this remasters feel ultra compressed and not really worth it, should have changed for good! Bonus material is cool but it would have been awesome if they have remastered from original sources using other kind of technology. Sigh.

90. memoryboy says:

The remastering on these 3 new ‘further listening ‘ is excellent. One of the best remasters I’ve heard ever. It’s worth buying these all over again just for the sound quality alone.

91. Maurizio Mongiovi says:

I am the only one disappointed by the Nightlife reissue?

It would have been better it they included all the “Closer to Heaven” Musical demos in one CD (I got them all saved somewhere) and all the rest in the other. And it is not because of a lack of space they didn’t do it, the Further Listening Cds are the least “filled” of all the 2001 and 2017 reissues combined (45 minutes the first, 57 the second). it’s unsual, considering how the Boys have been generous in the past.

And where is the cover of “Je t’aime moi non plus”? Ok, maybe it is not the best thing they ever recorded, but it was an official B-Side!

And Little Black Dress? even if the master wasn’t in great shape I would have preferred it to be included anyway.

For the other two releases, they seem very good to me. As for the 2001 ones, one could argue they miss this or that track, but in general they are quite satisfaying, and very pleasant to listen to.

Of course, a box with all the reissues along with all they officially released (with parlophone) but it is yet to be remastered (Relentless, Etc.) would be great, but as separate releases they are very good, save the Nightlife one, unfortunately.

Of course, this is just my opinion. :)

• Michael says:

Its just a guess but Je t’aime… may have been left off due to a licensing issue. This Nightlife edition covers so much ground and god knows there’s room for it. Perhaps Paul knows?

92. memoryboy says:

I am thrilled with these reissues. The sound is excellent, a big improvement. I am especially excited to buy the first six albums just on the remastered sound alone.

93. tom m hans says:

Just received mine in the mail from the UK – REALLY? FAT BOXES for the 3-disc editions? Who wants fat boxes anymore – waste of space. Sorry – rant over. Great Sound so far.

• Michael says:

Have to agree I’m afraid. A 3 disc set can fit neatly into a classic CD case. A bit too plump for my liking. Still, at least we have them.

94. Neil says:

I’m sorry but people saying these remasters are excellent must be listening to something different to me as they are horrendous and brickwalled to hell yet again. If this is an indication to what the early albums will sound like remastered then i won’t be touching them with a barge pole. Any album released after 1994 doesn’t need remastered unless it was badly mixed or mastered in the first place and the originals of those PSB were loud enough in the first place without adding more compression.

95. Mike says:

I’ve always thought ‘Nightlife’ already needed to be remastered. And I think that after some compilation errors that we have already noticed -I know, it’s not just about complaining about minor details- the Official Site might have already given a message of explanation, apology or something. There was enough time to compile these reissues… I wonder if Chris Heath was also overseeing this project, just as in 2001 they did.

96. David McCallum says:

Agreed that the 3CD bricks are pretty disappointing… especially since the covers are stretched to the spine. Oh well.

New unreleased tracks are fun to hear. They flirted with drum-n-bass in Bilingual-era b-sides and you can hear a bit of M83 in ‘Playing in the Streets.’

97. Paul Chapman says:

any update on the early albums getting a reissue?

98. Mike says:

I think the first 6 albums reissues will not see the light of day until the last two unreleased ‘Yes’ and ‘Elysium’ are released first. This could be happening later this year, otherwise they will be released during the first quarter of 2018. Subsequently, the first 6 albums would be released by the middle of the year. I have doubts about whether they will be sold separately like the current reissues (most probably) or these would be exclusive of the hypothetical and so mentioned Box Set. I would not like that after buying all 11 reissues the company decides to release them all again in a box without essentially nothing new and probably only marked as ‘limited’ or featuring something unpublished content but so minimal that makes us really question whether we should buy everything again only for the new content: This will surely be the great dilemma in the event that this box is an Album Box Set – could be a box with unreleased recordings (discarded demos?) or previously not considered for a new remaster . Btw, the reissues of ‘Nightlife’, ‘Release’ and ‘Fundamental’ have been released in Japan this week, do not include anything new, just a small booklet with adicional reviews ‘inside’ the obi, other than that this, it’s the same known release; so far it seems the reissues are only being manufactured in Europe. Listening to these new reissues I notice an excellent remastering job. Honestly, I really enjoyed the sound of the ‘Nightlife’ repertoire. I think even the most recent albums have not had the sound quality that these reissues currently have, so I feel that many fans will surely buy again the first 6 albums. Personally, I see a re-love rediscovering much of PSB catalog through a renewed sound. Despite the musical pieces that may have been discarded in each project, I see that the these new editions will be considered the definitive versions due its variety and renewal. Several of their old versions currently look somewhat ‘outdated’ compared to their 2017 counterpart.

99. Pingback:More Pet Shop Boys ‘Further Listening’ deluxe reissues and vinyl LPs | superdeluxeedition

100. Sonna dummer says:

This would be perfect if it was ‘please’ or ‘actually’ or ‘very’ but it is gr8 there is not instrumentals.all i want is non album tracks and unreleased songs.