Pet Shop Boys / SUPER white vinyl LP

On the eve of its release, German online retailer JPC appear to have an exclusive white vinyl edition of the Pet Shop Boys new album SUPER.

Not only is this pressed on white vinyl, but the 12-track album comes packaged in a gatefold sleeve and includes a download code.

SUPER is released on Friday 1 April 2016.

pre-order

9 Sad robot world
10 Say it to me
11 Burn
12 Into thin air

46 responses to Pet Shop Boys / SUPER white vinyl LP

1. Jezk says:

Also showing as white vinyl on Picadilly records website in the UK.

Some suggestion therre are other various coloured vinyl versions out there…

2. Sten says:

So is Resident-Music

3. Alan Wilson says:

I’ve seen several Twitter feeds today from independent retailers showing vinyl as white also.

4. Danny says:

They’re also showing a Japanese import CD “+ bonus”. Anyone have any idea what the bonus is?

5. Rob Wilcock says:

Into Thin Air – bonus track?

6. Rob Wilcock says:

Don’t blame me I got the information from Discogs

7. C-Eling says:

Yikes, that better be spread across two lp’s…

8. Rob Wilcock says:

Maybe it’s an April Fool’s joke the wags…

9. HS says:

My copy of the vinyl shipped from Amazon UK today. Has anyone received a UK copy? I would really prefer a 2 LP set, especially in a gatefold sleeve, but I have no idea what I am getting (and I probably won’t get the package until late next week).

10. probablyrustin says:

The colored vinyl is a single disc (see pictures of it on discogs here: https://www.discogs.com/Pet-Shop-Boys-Super/release/8322382). Not sure about the black version though.

11. Rob Wilcock says:

Yes, bud, I said that at 12 minutes to 7 pal

12. Daniel says:

I heard “SUPER ” this week twice and it is a bad album. The “pop kids” single is good,
    but the only other good track on the album is “The Dictator Decides”
    ( reminds me a little bit of the song-structure of “The Day Before You Came” of ABBA,
    without any chorus and an operatic voice at the end. Very strong song!
    The rest songs sound cheap and like produced in 4 weeks. More than 4 songs have the very bugging “siren-sounds” – disharmonic. I don’t like this on most of the new club mixes.
    “SUPER” has also too much “la-la-la” songs.
    Yesterday I heard “Please” again to bring me in the mood for the new album and this album
    had NO filler. And “SUPER” is SUPER-bad for me.
    I hope the re-re-release of “Please” later this year will makes me happier. I hope.
    Tennant and Lowe should change the producer and should do a good album finally.
    And taking more time to write good songs.
    The last 4 were not so strong as the first albums ( “Please” to “Very / Relentless” ).
    “The Pop Kids” promising a good 80’s album – but finally it isn’t.
    I dedicated my first 2 books as a photographer to Tennant & Lowe and their
    inspiration to me.
    But with this quality of “SUPER” I wouldn’t do that again.

• Michael says:

Can’t agree. I was no fan of ELECTRIC but SUPER? Infinitely better. Its not perfect (I lose Pazzo, Twenty Something, Groovy (Sooooo childish) and Burn in my edit) but overall its classic Pet Shop Boys. And yes, The Dictator Decides is the standout.

And I have to say, I was no fan of The Pop Kids but in the context of the album it works beautifully.

• Shane says:

I strongly disagree. Perhaps you haven’t spent enough time with the album. Only two listens? Wow. I bought the album and it’s excellent. Not one bad track on there. My favorite track is “Groovy” followed by “The Pop Kids” and third favorite is “Undertow”…. so many good songs on there.

• Pete says:

Bought the white vinyl version and the recording quality is way below the original vinyl LP’s of the 80’s.
      I am taking this back as there’s surface noise even after pro cleaning the press lubricant off.
      The production is closed in compared to earlier productions.
      Tried it on three high end systems and all the same.

13. Christian Fex says:

Vinyl? That’s so 2015!

14. Matt says:

Here’s hoping someone (Paul?) makes it to the PSB Super pop-up shop in London and shares the experience. Some photos perhaps – a pic of the signed print, signed LPs/CDs. A white vinyl LP available from Germany. A pop-up shop in London. What exists for us USA fans? Nothing it seems. My go to online retailer didn’t even include the album in its weekly email of new releases! For Electric, there was a lithograph available with purchase that now hangs framed in the dining room. Are there any bonuses for Super that anyone knows about in the US? Thanks for the review Daniel – Amazon is getting the CD to me tomorrow on release day and I look forward to checking it out – from a true fan since the start – anyone remember hearing West End Girls on WLIR back in the day? Tomorrow will be a SUPER day!

• Pete C T says:

Seems that there are various retailers (Stinkweeds – Phoenix, AZ and Reckless Records – Chicago, IL) to name two (I’m sure there are plenty more) that are giving away a “Super” branded slipmat with purchases of the vinyl version. This looks to be a USA exclusive.

15. Jon Hank says:

I agree vastly disappointing album…almost as bad as Elysium. But I’m a completest I will buy a copy of the white vinyl.

16. Craig Hedges says:

Went to HMV first thing this morning looking to get a copy of Super on white vinyl, I assumed that the copies on display would be on black vinyl as there was no label to state they were limited editions. I asked the staff and they weren’t aware of any white vinyl copies but they were curious so they opened one of the standard copies and it was white vinyl. I guessing all the initial copies are white, which will probably make the black ones more exclusive!
    I’ll have to go back when they release ChangesBowie and see if they will open them until they find a clear vinyl!

17. Can anyone confirm the quality of the file downloads, if they’re 24/96 I might be interested, but CD quality I’m not so.

Looking through the comments, it throws up something I was thinking about the other day regarding how different people see PSB. Myself, I’m a huge fan and have been since hearing Please in a small independent record shop in Leicester (now long gone). I have every recording they have made (pretty much, though The Prize still eludes me), but on of the things about PSB that makes them (for me at least) so enjoyable is the sheer breadth of material they have produced over the years.
    No two albums are the same style really, so those hoping for another “Please” will be disappointed, those hoping for another “Behaviour” will be disappointed, those hoping for a “Relentless or Introspective” will be disappointed. They always use different producers, which is great for them, and keeps them up to date (or more usually ahead) with latest trends in Pop music.
    I don’t think it fair to slate an album just because it doesn’t sound like your favourite PSB material, some of the stuff needs several listens to “grow on you”. For example I didn’t really like much of Behaviour when it first came out apart from a couple of tracks (My Oct Symphony and End of the World), but over time the whole album grew on me, and is now tied as my favourite PSB album. Electric/Elysium I can take or leave, but the Pandemoneum Tour album is again a superb listen… for me.

18. Antonio says:

Which format of download files is included in the vinyl copy? Mp3, Wav, Flac, etc…
    Thanks

19. probablyrustin says:

Will be interested to see if there are any black vinyl editions at all in the first run – could be a cheeky surprise treat for fans considering the release date.

20. Pete C T says:

Anybody know for definite if they have released a black vinyl version? If so, where can you get it? Sorry, but I prefer boring old black vinyl.

21. D B says:

Bought it on vinyl today but didn’t have a chance to open it and now I’m away for work… I want to know what colour I got!

As for the album, I actually really like it, I loved Electric, and this is a good follow up, the structure of the tracks is more pop apart from a few like Inner Sanctum, my highlights are:
    The Pop Kids (obviously), Groovy, Undertow, Say It to Me, the rest are to grow on me, although I don’t think I’ll be taking to Sad Robot World, didn’t enjoy that at all.

22. Jack says:

????? link to jpc goes to homepage with no listing of vinyl Super……………

23. stephen says:

I bought a copy from the jpc link yesterday. I looked later yesterday and it was gone, so assume sold out. You can get copies still from discogs https://www.discogs.com/Pet-Shop-Boys-Super/release/8322382

24. Jason Ball says:

They are ALL white, bought one from germany as thought it was limited edition, and very next day I get the one from the PSB store and guess what it was white, and so are all the other ones. What a waste of money buying and importing from germany. Some sort of notice would have been nice.

I don’t think it’s been confirmed that they are all white. PSB / Kobalt services haven’t communicated about this very well – the whole thing is a bit of a mess to be honest. JPC had two listings a white limited edition and a standard LP, so they can’t have both been white?!

25. Eric G says:

My copy bought on a french online retailler is also on white vinyl !

26. Auntie Sabrina says:

The CD is currently £8 on Amazon too

27. Gregory. says:

How can this be an exclusive white edition when all available copies so far are actually white ?
    I ordered a copy from JPC, believing this was going to be the only place where I would find the white LP but soon realised it was not exclusive at all.
    Furthermore, comments about this white vinyl emerge and rumour has it that this is quite a bad pressing.

Didn’t mean this to be misleading. At the time it seems rare/limited, although it does appear more wide spread than first thought. The blame lies with PSB/management for not being clear about the situation in the first place!

28. colin says:

Are they going to sell any stock left from the pop up shops anywhere else – online maybe?

29. Auntie Sabrina says:

Colin,

badges, T-Shirts, iphone cases and screen print are available here love

30. Maurizio MONGIOVI says:

Ordered, the first time since ages I will buy a Vinyl but not the CD…

31. Peter Yarrow says:

My vinyl copy arrived yesterday from Recordstore … white vinyl

32. Neil Credland says:

I love the new album bought the cd and vinyl. But having trouble getting on the website to download the free code . Frustrating

33. Jeff says:

Just in case anyone’s still keeping track of this at home, the “regular” version I picked up at my local (independent but part of an area chain) store was white vinyl, gatefold sleeve, and they did have a free SUPER slipmat as well. About $21 USD.

34. David says:

The PSB have a strong history of releasing limited edition 2CD-versions of their albums (albeit the Elysium one was a bit disappointing with just an instrumental version of the album).
    Are there any reports of a 2cd-version of Super?

35. probablyrustin says:

David, sadly no. It seems they’ve stopped doing them since going independent (post-EMI). The 2CDs have usually come out at the time of release (with the exception of Bilingual).