Pete Townshend&#39s Classic Quadrophenia

peteclassicquad

Pete Townshend’s symphonic reimagining of The Who’s Quadrophenia will be released by classical label Deutsche Grammophon this June.

The album has been orchestrated by his partner, Rachel Fuller and includes Pete on electric guitar on the record. English tenor Alfie Boe provides most of the vocals – there is no participation from Roger Daltrey.

Pete Townshend’s Classic Quadrophenia is released on 22 June 2015.

Deluxe CD+DVD

2LP Vinyl

CD Edition

19 responses to Pete Townshend&#39s Classic Quadrophenia

1. Ben Mills says:

I saw Daltry, Townshend, Entwistle (I think he was there) and Starkey perform this years ago on tour her in Colorado, and that put a nail in my interest. The music in that incarnation had lost its punch, power and relevancy…and for the first time I saw Townshend as a fallible human, capable of making bad choices when it came to getting cash through music…..And here we go again!

It was THE ALBUM in High School (along with Stewart Copeland’s “Klark Kent”), and got a lot of us through those tough years, but Ugh…another recycling of Who material. Couldn’t care less about this.

2. Charles Hodgson says:

What he said.

3. Hedley says:

Takes me back to “Orchestral Tubular Bells” – that sucked too.

4. Rhinojack says:

Just the cover is a turn off for me. To have the iconic, disaffected, alienated Jimmy with a conductor’s baton certainly changes what we’ve imagined him to be.

5. Paul Edwards says:

Saw the Who do Quadrophenia with Phil Daniels in Hyde park in 96. Daltrey had an eye patch after an accident with a mic stand and the special guest was Gary Glitter!

• Hedley says:

Paul – I saw the same tour in November 96 at the Palace of Auburn Hills, outside Detroit – we had Mr Glitter and Billy Idol.

6. Dave says:

I say stick to the original – superdeluxe version preferably.

7. JF says:

Wonder if he’ll do an acoustic version with the London Philharmonic?

8. Mig says:

Why does this exist? And where’s “The Orchestral Never Mind The Bollocks”?

9. Paul Kent says:

Everything about this screams awful!

10. Richard says:

When is (or was) the movie released on DVD/Blu-Ray?

• Mark Bumgardner says:

Criterion released the movie on DVD some years back. Should be able to get it on Amazon for a decent price. I found one in a thrift store a few months ago.

11. Brad Chase says:

In November there’ll be a dee-luxe box set with a 5.1 blu-ray.

12. Oreb says:

Seems I’m the only person here looking forward to hearing this.

I saw a clip somewhere of Alfie Boe singing ‘Love Reign O’er Me’ and thought he did a bloody good job.

More than that, much of the music on the original is Townshend at his most OTT. It cries out for big arrangements.

Yeah, it might be dreadful, but I’m not writing it off.

13. Ross says:

No. Just no.

14. Lennie says:

Pete Townshend can milk his past glories all he wants, for money, ego, or whatever.
    But we, the fans, aren’t forced to listen to it, or to purchase it.
    And I won’t.
    Long live rock!

15. Christian says:

In one of the documentaries about the film, the director explained that Pete turned up with a cassette containing the music orchestrated for the film.
    The director (quite rightly) said he was going for a harder more direct feel and said to stay wit the original. He rerecorded it anyway for the movie as we all know, but it shows that he had an orchestrated version in his mind nearly 40 years ago.
    As a devotee of the record (original not soundtrack) i’m looking forward to hearing this but not really pinning my hopes on it.

16. andre says:

just sucked, I saw it on PBS tonight
    for once their wish to die before they get old, is fitting
    I had to go online and see the real quadrophenia, to get this nasty taste out of my mouth