Phil Collins / The Singles

October this year sees the release of Phil Collins The Singles, a new extensive, three-CD compilation…

The Singles charts Collins’ entire solo career from his 1981 debut In The Air Tonight to the title track from his most recent studio album, 2010’s Going Back. It takes in an impressive seven American number ones, plus numerous other Top 10 hits.

It also includes songs from films, such as the Oscar winning, You’ll Be In My Heart (from Disney’s Tarzan) and A Groovy Kind of Love from 1988’s Buster (Collins’ only transatlantic number one single).

In addition to the three-CD set, there will be a 33-track 4LP edition, which is also available as a two-CD set. Nick Davis is again the man at the helm when it comes to remastering. It has to be noted that like the Pure McCartney compilation, there’s little sign of any rarities or those 12-inch remixes that were missing from the deluxe ‘Take A Look At Me Now’ reissues.

Will there be a further ‘mopping up’ rarities set? Seems unlikely, but if you want to cling to hope then in May last year when the ‘Take A Look At Me Now’ campaign was announced, we were told that as well as the album reissues, we would be getting “uniquely curated titles from the vaults”. Note the ‘S’ on titles…

Singles is released on 14 October 2016.

Phil Collins

The Singles 3CD deluxe

Shop Price GBP Stock
HMV uk 6LP coloured vinyl box 15.99

Phil Collins

The Singles 4LP vinyl

Shop Price GBP Stock
HMV uk 6LP coloured vinyl box 69.99

Phil Collins

The Singles 2CD edition

Shop Price GBP Stock
HMV uk 6LP coloured vinyl box 9.99

track_listing

singles3CD

THE SINGLES (3CD Deluxe Edition)

Disc: 1
1. In The Air Tonight (2015 Remastered)
2. I Missed Again (2015 Remastered)
3. If Leaving Me Is Easy (2015 Remastered)
4. Thru These Walls (2016 Remastered)
5. You Can’t Hurry Love (2016 Remastered)
6. I Don’t Care Anymore (2016 Remastered)
7. Don’t Let Him Steal Your Heart Away (2016 Remastered)
8. Why Can’t It Wait ‘Til Morning (2016 Remastered)
9. I Cannot Believe It’s True (2016 Remastered)
10. Against All Odds (Take A Look At Me Now) [2016 Remastered]
11. Easy Lover
12. Sussudio (2016 Remastered)
13. One More Night (2016 Remastered)
14. Don’t Lose My Number (2016 Remastered)
15. Take Me Home (2016 Remastered)

Disc: 2
1. Separate Lives (Love Theme From White Nights) [2016 Remastered] – Phil Collins And Marilyn Martin
2. A Groovy Kind Of Love (2016 Remastered)
3. Two Hearts (2016 Remastered)
4. Another Day In Paradise (2016 Remastered)
5. I Wish It Would Rain Down (2016 Remastered)
6. Something Happened On The Way To Heaven (2016 Remastered)
7. That’s Just the Way It Is (2016 Remastered)
8. Hang In Long Enough (2016 Remastered)
9. Do You Remember? (2016 Remastered)
10. Who Said I Would (2016 Remastered)
11. Both Sides Of The Story (2015 Remastered)
12. Everyday (2015 Remastered)
13. We Wait And We Wonder (2015 Remastered)
14. Dance Into The Light (2016 Remastered)
15. It’s In Your Eyes (2016 Remastered)

Disc: 3
1. No Matter Who (2016 Remastered)
2. Wear My Hat (2016 Remastered)
3. The Same Moon (2016 Remastered)
4. True Colors (2016 Remastered)
5. You’ll Be In My Heart
6. Strangers Like Me
7. Son Of Man
8. Two Worlds
9. Can’t Stop Loving You (2016 Remastered)
10. The Least You Can Do (2016 Remastered)
11. Wake Up Call (2016 Remastered)
12. Look Through My Eyes – Brother Bear
13. No Way Out (Theme from Brother Bear) – Brother Bear
14. (Love Is Like A) Heatwave (2016 Remastered)
15. Going Back (2016 Remastered)

unnamed (5)

THE SINGLES (4LP Boxed Set)

Track List

Side 1
1. Easy Lover
2. Two Hearts (2016 Remastered)
3. Sussudio (2016 Remastered)
4. I Missed Again (2015 Remastered)
5. Wear My Hat (2016 Remastered)

Side 2
1. Don’t Lose My Number (2016 Remastered)
2. You Can’t Hurry Love (2016 Remastered)
3. Something Happened On The Way To Heaven (2016 Remastered)
4. We Wait And We Wonder (2015 Remastered)

Side 3
1. Can’t Stop Loving You (2016 Remastered)
2. Dance Into The Light (2016 Remastered)
3. It’s In Your Eyes (2016 Remastered)
4. Hang In Long Enough (2016 Remastered)

Side 4
1. Thru These Walls (2016 Remastered)
2. I Wish It Would Rain Down (2016 Remastered)
3. Both Sides Of The Story (2015 Remastered)
4. (Love Is Like A) Heatwave (2016 Remastered)

Side 5
1. Going Back (2016 Remastered)
2. In The Air Tonight (2015 Remastered)
3. Against All Odds (Take A Look At Me Now) [2016 Remastered]
4. If Leaving Me Is Easy (2015 Remastered)

Side 6
1. One More Night (2016 Remastered)
2. Separate Lives (Love Theme From White Nights) [2016 Remastered] – Phil Collins And Marilyn Martin
3. A Groovy Kind Of Love (2016 Remastered)
4. That’s Just the Way It Is (2016 Remastered)

Side 7
1. Do You Remember? (2016 Remastered)
2. Everyday (2015 Remastered)
3. True Colors (2016 Remastered)
4. You’ll Be In My Heart

Side 8
1. The Least You Can Do (2016 Remastered)
2. Look Through My Eyes – Brother Bear
3. Another Day In Paradise (2016 Remastered)
4. Take Me Home (2016 Remastered)

unnamed (5)

The SINGLES (2CD Edition)

Disc: 1
1. Easy Lover
2. Two Hearts (2016 Remastered)
3. Sussudio (2016 Remastered)
4. I Missed Again (2015 Remastered)
5. Wear My Hat (2016 Remastered)
6. Don’t Lose My Number (2016 Remastered)
7. You Can’t Hurry Love (2016 Remastered)
8. Something Happened On The Way To Heaven (2016 Remastered)
9. We Wait And We Wonder (2015 Remastered)
10. Can’t Stop Loving You (2016 Remastered)
11. Dance Into The Light (2016 Remastered)
12. It’s In Your Eyes (2016 Remastered)
13. Hang In Long Enough (2016 Remastered)
14. Thru These Walls (2016 Remastered)
15. I Wish It Would Rain Down (2016 Remastered)
16. Both Sides Of The Story (2015 Remastered)
17. (Love Is Like A) Heatwave (2016 Remastered)

Disc: 2
1. Going Back (2016 Remastered)
2. In The Air Tonight (2015 Remastered)
3. Against All Odds (Take A Look At Me Now) [2016 Remastered]
4. If Leaving Me Is Easy (2015 Remastered)
5. One More Night (2016 Remastered)
6. Separate Lives (Love Theme From White Nights) [2016 Remastered] – Phil Collins And Marilyn Martin
7. A Groovy Kind Of Love (2016 Remastered)
8. That’s Just the Way It Is (2016 Remastered)
9. Do You Remember? (2016 Remastered)
10. Everyday (2015 Remastered)
11. True Colors (2016 Remastered)
12. You’ll Be In My Heart
13. The Least You Can Do (2016 Remastered)
14. Look Through My Eyes – Brother Bear
15. Another Day In Paradise (2016 Remastered)
16. Take Me Home (2016 Remastered)

75 responses to Phil Collins / The Singles

1. Martin says:

I like this, I might get the 3 CD and LP. I see the 2 CD version ends with Take Me Home, that is a classic album closer. On the B-sides and Remix front (I get very serious about these and call them Archives), I have oodles of stuff like demos and soundtrack exclusives but I find that I listen to it less and less as I am drawn back to the albums. But I am at that funny age. Thanks for this Paul.

2. Neil says:

This is extremely poor not one single rarity in sight or any of the b sides or remixes he never put on his recent remasters. One question though why is Who Said I Would listed as track 10 on cd 2 when it was never a single ?

3. Paul W says:

Thanks great cd , just put my order in

4. Pim says:

“Who Said I Would” from Serious Hits…Live was a (promo) single in Japan, US and France. Seeing that it appears between tracks from But Seriously and Both Sides in a chronological tracklist, I assume the version used on this compilation is the live version – as the studio version would’ve appeared with the other No Jacket Required tracks like Sussudio.

• christian says:

@Neil – Who Said I Would is probably included, in my opinion, because it did receive a remix treatment (see the 12″ers comp). I know it was the b-side for Separate Lives, but a part of me thinks that maybe there had been consideration to release it as a single at some point. Of course, that’s all speculation on my part.

5. Rob Deighton says:

A good collection and a bit more comprehensive than the original ‘Hits’ compilation. Slightly miffed however as others have said that there are no rarities on this disc, especially after quite a few B-sides were missed off the 2CD reissues. Maybe a 4th disc on deluxe would of solved this and tied up a few loose ends.

Also good that the 2CD is in non-chronological but i think CD2 could may plod along a bit as majority of the tracks are ballads (apart from ITAT), unless that was theme he was after with the fast numbers on CD1.

Be interesting to see what the LP set looks like. Shame they couldn’t of made it 5-6 songs a side and then i bet it could of been a 3LP set. It’s nice that we are getting that all these new releases on vinyl but having to get up every 10 minutes to change sides is becoming a bit much especially when back in the golden days of Vinyl sides ran to 23 mins with to degradation of sound quality. If the could do it then why can’t they do it now?

Will probably go for the 3CD and 4LP set when this comes out.

6. pinkfloyd says:

so, what happens now to all the b-sides & remixes left off the recent PC reissues?

7. Ben Williams says:

Not surpised at this release; it does coincide with his new book. Clapton did the exact same thing a few years back.

I am a bit miffed at not having those ‘missing’ B-sides that weren’t on the deluxe reissues, or atleast making the deluxe edition 4 discs and slapping on a load of unreleased or very rare tracks. With a set like this, why bother with a 3cd version with just 12 extra tracks that are available easily on the reissues they just brought out? Surely the 2cd version is enough for new comers to buy a couple or all the deluxe editions? The deluxe edition of this singles collection could, should have been a bit more deluxe.. Atleast Pure McCartney did add 2 discs to its deluxe, even if the rarity value was pretty much zilch.

I hope that Phil brings out an Archives set at some point this year or next, and hopefully a proper live set like the Genesis Live CD box they did.

We wait and wonder…

8. Chris Squires says:

Fantastic.

I passed on all of the re-issues as I was only interested in the Vinyl, but rather like “Pure” I am glad there is a nice pristine Vinyl box set. Wonderful news.

9. CJ Feeney says:

No complaints from me – it is a straightforward singles package, buy the one that suits you (prob. the 3CD for me). “I’m on my way” from Brother Bear was a big hit with my kids so it would’ve been nice to have it here, as it would give me more of an excuse to put this disc on in the car, rather than the Disney disc we already have it on.

I’m guessing that we still don’t get the single mix of “In The Air Tonight” that Collins didn’t like. That’s probably the only omission in terms of providing the actual singles.

10. Daniel ( from Berlin ) says:

DISGUSTING !
    Only a few weeks after the final “Deluxe” Edition release now a “Singles” set is planned.
    Ooh what a surprise!
    Milking fans on highest level. But not with me.
    Bring a 12” Remixes / Unreleased 12” Remixes / Rarities Box Set on the market or go home.
    Meanwhile: Last month I discovered that the Japan 12” Single of “Take Me Home” includes are completely different extended mix of the great song. This mix is a real 12” treasure!!
    Everybody should hear it.

• Gisabun says:

Well, a bit longer than “a few weeks”.
      And yes, plenty missing from those “deluxe” editions.
      Even 3 tracks on the Going Back DVD that weren’t on either CD edition.

11. MiG says:

That is one ugly cover. Let’s see…Phil’s image is smooth and cool, so let’s put those smooth, cool single covers on a tatty piece of paper that makes them look old and shopworn. What’s that? He lacks street cred. Hmm, wonder what we can do about that?

• Well, it could be a reference to the graffiti cover of “Hang In Long Enough”…? Or, more likely, a nostalgic nod to the clubs he played when he was starting out / attended as a young fan…?

• Ben Williams says:

Not the best artwork I agree.

It bothers me that they’ve not used the 7″ artwork like all the other singles for Against All Odds, instead using the picture disc..

12. Dani77 says:

Soundtracks – why not remastered?

• Liam says:

They probably have been, along with the rest of the album, it’s just that they have been licensed in from other rights holders (Disney?) along with Easy Lover (from Sony) and they have probably supplied the same label copy information and ISRC codes.

When Warner remaster recordings of their own, they allocate new ISRC codes to differentiate them in their label copy systems, which is what has happened here, but they can’t allocate new codes for non-Warner recordings. Terms like “2015 Remastered” are usually treated (or SHOULD usually be) for internal use only but somebody obviously doesn’t understand that, so that’s why we see them crop up here and there in iTunes and Spotify.

13. -SG- says:

Well, it is missing the duet with Eric Clapton, “you don’t know like I know” released as a single in Australia in 1984 and nowhere to be seen since. It would have been nice to get some rare nugget thrown in there. I wonder if these are the actual single versions or just remasters? I guess we wait and we wonder.

14. Liam Bastick says:

Many moons back, I remember one of the ultimate music journalist gaffes (I can’t remember where), with an article talking about his “Separate Lives” duet with Marilyn MANSON. Now THAT would be a duet I’d love to hear ha ha.

15. Mic Smith says:

I wonder if this will feature 7″ edits/mixes. I would particularly like the edit of Take Me Home which I think hasn’t appeared on previous singles collections. Also wasn’t In the Air Tonight mixed slightly differently to the album version? I’m sure there are others that PC collectors would know about.

It should do, but probably won’t!

• Kiki says:

This is to my opinion the main question about this release !
      If the 7″ are in, I’m in too, if not, then I’ll pass on this as I did for the useless reissues of the albums…

16. I’m absolutely in for this! Phil’s contributions to films are a vital contribution to his legacy and popularity, so it’s very good to see that all collected alongside the album singles. Sure, there are no rarities, but for the average punter, this will absolutely hit the spot. Indeed, this album is going to be the best opportunity yet to see the entire scope of his solo legacy and just what a vast impact he made on the charts worldwide. I imagine this will be a massive Christmas seller…

17. DJ Boji says:

Poor Release with Lack of Fantasy. Sorry but this is a no buy for me.
    Wake up People at The record Company and Release the rare Remixes and b-Sides.
    That can’t be too difficult to release.

18. memoryboy says:

I am excited about this. But, I do Wish there were 7″ versions and 12″ remixes added somewhere. That is disappointing.

19. Gianluca De Caro says:

Will Rhino/Warner use this time the original 7″/single edit versions? And not like previous “best of” where there were all album versions…?

20. DaveM says:

I think there was an inevitablity about this and the contents because of, as others have said, the book tie in and the Christmas market and to no doubt recoup the cost of the remastering project. I bought the TALAMN campaign releases and by-an-large have enjoyed them ( I only had heard the first two, having bought them when they originally came out). It will be a difficult call as the whether to buy this though, as I am just getting used to the sequencing on the CDs I have not heard before. That said, I bought Pure Macca and am surprised how well it works, as the Wings albums and Macca albums were already in my DNA… Maybe a silly season buy then:)

21. David says:

This is pointless. Remember this, almost all of Phil’s single releases are in fact the album tracks. So we got this in some way on the remasters of all his albums earlier this year.Maybe 3 or 4 single releases are different from the album versions but the rest is the same. In The Air Tonight is a single remix with a drumbeat underneath. Another Day In Paradise has a different intro and Take Me Home is different as well. But my guess is that all the singles on this box will be the album versions and if that’s the case, we will get the same again that was already issued between january and june. No b-sides which is a shame. Luckely i have all his 7 inch, 12 inch and cd maxi singles releases.

22. elliott buckingham says:

ordered but would love an update 12″ers comp with rare and unreleased stuff

23. steve says:

Do You Remember looks to be the live version (As well as ‘Who Said I Would’), judging by the cover art on the poster.

24. Peter says:

Uninspired and pointless collection.
    He should have included the unavailable b-sides.
    That way, i could have considered buying it.

25. Darlo says:

The different formats have either 33 or 45 tracks.
    Is it just a coincidence, or an rpm-related in joke?

26. alan hansen says:

provided these are just remastered and NOT remixed, as were the last Genesis incarnations; and provided i get the full-length of “In The Air Tonight;” then i’ll happily opt for the 3cd set of philler material.

27. Gustavo says:

Very poor, always the same thing, the remixes and b-sides?

28. Alessandro says:

At last a complete ‘A sides’ collection! I’ll buy the 3-CD set.

29. AlexKx says:

Exactly! I was just going to say this would be an “A-sides” compilation, right?

30. Steven says:

Given that Collins recently announced that he was ‘no longer retired’, I’m a little surprised that there isn’t at least one new song on there.

And, like many others, I’m disappointed that there is no rarity component to this release – seems it would have been the perfect opportunity to do a ‘mega-set’ including all the b-sides, remixes, etc.

You know, for the fans.

31. memoryboy says:

I like the cover, I think it’s kinda creative and unusual looking. Pretty straight forward like most of his album covers. I like the collage of singles art. And the cartoonish-drawing of Phil with drum-sticks is a nice tough. I like it.

32. memoryboy says:

Touch* I meant to write “And the cartoonish-drawing of Phil with drum-sticks is a nice touch. I like it.” If there isn’t an edit feature on here I hope my correction gets posted so I don’t look like I can’t speel. lol

33. memoryboy says:

SPELL* I meant Spell. Dammit! I can Spell! I promise! hahaha

34. Adam says:

I wish a Singles collection box like for Belinda Carlisle, Bananarama or Duran Duran would get released for Phil. That could feature all B Sides and remixes that appeared on the singles. Just looking at all the Singles on the cover made me excited first that maybe we get CD replicas of all singles.

35. greg says:

Im hoping for the live video releases on bluray for the new year

36. Adam says:

If he does book signings in October, hope fans will ask about more releases from the vaults, a singles box, rarities, etc.

37. Jon says:

Sadly I think those B-sides that didn’t make it will never be on CD I fear. Phil hates them (I Like The Way, Man With the Horn, etc,). I wish the edits are used but I fear they are straight LP versions taken from the remastered CD’s.

38. Don says:

I didn’t buy the deluxe editions, but if I had, wouldn’t I be able to recreate this entire set using the remasters along with a few other dollar-bin soundtrack CDs?

39. Jay Kranz says:

need the b-sides set to compliment this please. grabbed the vinyl for 20 bucks on amazon right when it was announced bet they don’t honor it but we shall see.

40. paul kelly says:

i will be buying this album i,m in for the 3cd version i was gonna buy madonna new greatest hits radio waves 1984 to 1995 but not now

41. Aaron says:

According to genesis-news.com there is hints of a further side projects compilation on the way called “The Anthology”

42. 2badmofo says:

Could they not have taken the HMV sticker off Another Day In Paradise first?

I hope it’s like all single versions, not just album versions, oh & lyrics too

43. Why not the ’88 remix from In the air tonight? Was also a single and contains a beautiful extended version of In the air tonight, remixed by Ben Liebrand.

44. JudeMac says:

It appears Phil was never pleased with any of his 12 Inch releases. None were on his remasters as bonus tracks. They even missed his great demo of “In The air Tonight” on his first album remaster as it never appeared as a bonus track. Nevertheless, I have all his 12 inch / CDS / promos in my collection so I personally am not worried if he ever does ;-) but can see why others would want them if they do not have any of them.

• RJSWinchester says:

I think a lot of artists when looking back are probably not too happy with 12″ remixes. It was just a fashion at the time when singles were released in multiple formats. The chart eligibility rules changed in the early ninties and 12″ extended megamixes eventually fell out of fashion.

45. Mark Franklin says:

Someone mentioned David Crosby’s “Hero” to be missing… also true of “The Quiet’s Too Loud” Lamont, Dozier and Holland. Why is “Easy Lover” not remastered?

46. Marc says:

Be interesting to see if the Japan release of this contains any bonus tracks.

47. JudeMac says:

Gentlemen
    I seriously doubt the Japanese versions will be different, the only Japanese version of anything worthwhile was 12″ers 12″ vinyl that had a different version of “Take Me Home” only found on that 12″ which I now have in FLAC format in my collect. Even the single mix of tracks would be nice on the collection (when different) I’ll know right off if they used album versions when I hear “Another Day In Paradise”. which was only found on the US Promo CDS. The timing will give it away without even playing the CD which is simple for me & don’t even have to listen to it. ;-)

48. Michael Fortin says:

I’ll probably pick this up since the 2-CD version can replace my older ‘Hits…’ compilation. Everything on ‘Hits…’ is on the 2-CD plus more. Looking forward to his book in late October. Also, a Brian Wilson memoir is supposed to be coming around the same time.

49. Gisabun says:

I am guessing most [all?] the tracks listed were release as singles in the UK or the US and a few maybe from other territories. But If he released We Said Hello Goodbye as a single in Iran or Syria only, it wouldn’t be included. :-) [You get my drift…?]
    Not really surprised there are no extras as it is a singles collection – maybe unless there is a singles mix somewhere.
    I guess you can sell off the previous compilations…

50. Gisabun says:

Oh judging by the fact that the remasters weren’t cheap [for a 2CD set] I don’t expect this to be cheap either.

51. Steven says:

3CD version only £9.99 on Amazon now. 2CD still £15.99.

52. ZACH says:

OKAYYY… Someone doesn’t know what their doing here. Hits didn’t have all the hits, now the singles doesn’t have all the singles. This 2 CD set is a mess. I Don’t Care Anymore (US #39) is not on here for no apparent reason, but is on the 3 CD. At least 10 random tracks are here that shouldn’t be. Not in Chronological order, should be. Was waiting years for an updated compilation, but I’ll pass on this. This is what it should be..

The Very Best of Phil Collins

21. Dance Into The Light
    22. True Colors
    23. You’ll Be In My Heart
    24. Can’t Stop Loving You
    25. Going Back

53. Justin Isbell says:

I’m not sure boring is a fair comment Paul. If it’s boring it’s because the quality declines but in all other respects this hits the spot for me because I love ‘singles’ collections if they are both complete and in the correct (original release) sequence (which this is). So this 3xCD collection makes me very interested and the price is first rate. I just need to decide if I really need 45 Phil Collins tracks as I don’t often listen to my homemade mp3 ‘singles’ album :-) I probably do because the physical release will prompt me to re-listen to his catalogue… there I’ve talked myself into it :-)

You might have a point. But certainly none of the reissues had much ‘wow’ factor, and of course if you bought the reissues then you have most (all?) of this anyway.

• Justin Isbell says:

A few years ago I made an effort to get hold of the first 5 Phil Collins studio albums on CD. Then I ran out of shelving space and had to get rid of a couple hundred CDs (eBay, Music Magpie etc.). I gave Phil’s albums a fair chance but they didn’t make the cut so they went and I just kept Face Value and Hits. So the contents of the reissues passed me by. I did like the new covers though…very clever.

54. Gisabun says:

Go figure that the numbskulls at Amazon Canada have the 3CD priced cheaper than the 2CD edition.
    Well, at least with the 3CD edition you can sell off probably a half dozen previous compilations. :-)

55. Brian Stanbrook says:

All you really need is Face Value!

What would be nice is an anthology of all Phil’s sessions for other artists. Starting with Phil’s amazing conga playing on All Things Must Pass and including his work with Peter Banks, Steve Hackett, Brian Eno, Anthony Phillips…

And maybe some Brand X?

56. Matthew Legg says:

Dissapointing CD. Just got it today, not only are the songs NOT the single edit versions but both Do You Remember & Who Said I Would are the standard album versions and NOT the Live single versions. Really poor

57. RichardB says:

As titles go, “A compilation of the album versions of the songs that I have released as singles” isn’t as succinct as “Singles” but it’s unfortunately a lot more accurate. I know that many PC single releases were the same as their album counterparts, but to not include the single versions as issued is lazy, poor and disappointing.