Picture: ABBA Gold steelbook

abba_gold_tin

As mentioned back in the summer, Universal Music will show their mettle and put out another version of the seemingly bullet-proof ABBA Gold compilation – this time in fancy ‘steelbook’ casing, often used for limited edition blu-ray releases.

This is the three-CD version (Gold, More Gold and B-sides) that was issued in standard packaging earlier this year. The metal casing comes complete with with a ‘magnetic lenticular cover’ which we think means the ABBA logo is a magnet that you can ‘move around’ on the tin. Or possibly not.

Anyway, if you held back on buying the three-CD set in anticipation of this special edition metal version it’s out on 10 November 2014.

Track listing:

• 8. The Winner Takes It All
  • 9. Money, Money, Money
  • 10. SOS
  • 11. Chiquitita
  • 12. Fernando
  • 13. Voulez-Vous
  • 14. Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! (A Man After Midnight)
  • 15. Does Your Mother Know

• 6. So Long
  • 7. Honey, Honey
  • 8. The Visitors
  • 9. Our Last Summer
  • 10. On And On And On
  • 11. Ring Ring
  • 12. I Wonder (Departure)
  • 13. Lovelight
  • 14. Head Over Heels
  • 15. When I Kissed The Teacher
  • 16. I Am The City
  • 17. Cassandra
  • 18. Under Attack
  • 19. When All Is Said And Done
  • 20. The Way Old Friends Do

Disc 3 ABBA GOLDEN B-SIDES

• 1. She’s My Kind Of Girl (B-side to Ring Ring)
  • 2. I Am Just A Girl (B-side to Love Isn’t Easy (But It Sure Is Hard Enough))
  • 3. Gonna Sing You My Lovesong (B-side to Waterloo French Version)
  • 4. King Kong Song (B-side to Honey, Honey)
  • 5. I’ve Been Waiting For You (B-side to So Long)
  • 6. Rock Me (B-side To I Do, I Do, I Do)
  • 7. Man In The Middle (B-side to S.O.S.)
  • 8. Intermezzo No.1 (B-side to Mamma Mia)
  • 9. That’s Me (B-side to Dancing Queen)
  • 10. Crazy World (B-side to Money, Money, Money)
  • 11. Happy Hawaii (B-side to Knowing Me, Knowing You)
  • 12. I’m A Marionette (B-side to Take A Chance On Me)
  • 13. Medley: Pick A Bale of cotton.. etc. (B-side to Summer Night City)
  • 14. Kisses of Fire (B-side to Does Your Mother Know)
  • 15. The King Has Lost His Crown (B-side to Gimme Gimme Gimme (A Man After Midnight))
  • 16. Elaine (B-side to The Winner Takes It All)
  • 17. The Piper (B-side to Super Trouper)
  • 18. Andante, Andante (B-side to Happy New Year)
  • 19. Should I Laugh Or Cry (B-side to One Of Us)
  • 20. Soldiers (B-side to When All Is Said And Done)

12 responses to Picture: ABBA Gold steelbook

1. baward says:

I presume its actually gold-plated the amount of money Polar etc. must have made from Abba and this particular compilation!

2. AnonyMousE says:

26,99 at Amazon.co.uk… not that cheap, if you ask me. Milking has a whole new meaning when you talk about Abba… :( :( :(

3. Daniel says:

boring!
    the same money-making-machine ABBA.
    absolutely boring!

4. Le Baron says:

Money money money… :(

5. Mirko Roenicke says:

In German we say ” alter Wein in neuen Schläuchen ”
    How often will they release the old music in new covers?

6. Brian says:

I’m no Abba fan but it looks like Abba fans have been taken for a ride. Every week there’s another rehashed Abba product. Do their fans have that much disposable cash?

7. Alex says:

“Lenticular” in terms of what is on the cover of the Michael Jackson music home video “Vision” consists of very impressive 3D imagery. I guess in this case it would likely be the whole cover that is lenticular and removable perhaps? That would be cool.

8. Adey says:

£26.99 for 3 cds in a steelbook cover of an album that has already been re released dozens of times????

9. Keith Lambert says:

As much as I enjoy their back catalogue, I really wish ABBA would look to release some Hi-Res audio instead of continually re-hashing the greatest hits packages. That said, it was nice to see ‘Live At Wembley’ released; something different.

10. Christopher Lim says:

it is the same one issued before which i never got being not much of a fan of the ‘vocal’ group — me think its a rip-off being that it is only made far more expensive as repackaged with the tin canister

• Christopher Lim says:

come to think of it the previous one’s with the DVD this one’s just have another extra disc of b-sides

11. Colin says:

Around The Internet a lot of ABBA Fans have been saying how boring
    it is that the 3 CD ‘Gold’ is being re-issued already – in a Metal Box.
    Unfortunately, ABBA have no intentions of letting Fans have anything
    unreleased for the foreseeable future. Perhaps forever. Benny & Bjorn
    have the only real say in whether Fans can have unreleased ABBA
    Tracks & neither want to give us anything else.

In September, Benny gave an interview to a Dutch Journalist & here is
    what was said:,

According to the Dutch journalist that spoke to Benny today, “Just Like
    That” by ABBA will NOT be officially released. Benny is quite clear
    that he does not want the song to be out. The ultimate version has
    been released by Gemini. Fans can listen to that.

Benny looks forward to the release of ‘his’ film and sees himself create
    a new musical in the future. He works in the studio every day.
    Obviously ABBA is a thing of the past, but Benny realizes Universal
    will do anything to keep ABBA alive. “We will see what happens, but
    I do not think we will ever release unreleased material again as there
    is very little left to release that we are willing to share.”