Pink Floyd to reissue 1981 compilation and double live album on vinyl

Pink Floyd will reissue their pithily titled 1981 compilation A Collection Of Great Dance Songs on vinyl next month alongside a vinyl reissue of the 1988 live album Delicate Sound Of Thunder.

Chronologically, A Collection Of Great Dance Songs appeared between The Wall (1979) and The Final Cut (1983) and it’s of particular interest for featuring different mixes of some songs such as Shine On You Crazy Diamond, which is edited for length and Another Brick in the Wall (Part 2) which is an hybrid of single and album mix.

However, it’s Money that really stands out here since it’a a completely new recording due to some legal shenanigans between Columbia/CBS (Pink Floyd’s US label at that time) and Capitol Records. Capitol refused to license Money for the compilation, apparently worrying that it would eat into sales of The Dark Side Of The Moon (like that hadn’t sold enough already!).

To get around this problem, David Gilmour re-recorded the track entirely, playing all the instruments himself, with the exception of the saxophone, where Dick Parry reprised his performance on the original. Impressive stuff.

Delicate Sound Of Thunder is a double live album which was recorded over five nights at the Nassau Coliseum in New York in August 1988, during the A Momentary Lapse Of Reason Tour. That tour had kicked off in September 1987 and continued until June 1990, albeit with an almost nine-month break between late August ’88 and May ’89. Like A Collection Of Great Dance Songs this 2LP vinyl reissue features audio that has been remastered from the original analogue tapes.

Both A Collection of Great Dance Songs and Delicate Sound Of Thunder will be reissued on vinyl on 17 November 2017.

Pink Floyd

A Collection of Great Dance Songs - remastered vinyl

Pink Floyd

Delicate Sound Of Thunder - remastered 2LP vinyl

A Collection of Great Dance Songs – remastered vinyl

Side 1
1. One Of These Days
2. Money
3. Sheep

Side 2
1. Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Part One) (1-5)
2. Wish You Were Here
3. Another Brick In The Wall (Part 2)

Delicate Sound of Thunder – remastered 2LP vinyl

Side 1
1. Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Live)
2. Learning To Fly (Live)
3. Yet Another Movie (Live)
4. Round And Around (Live)
5. Sorrow (Live)
6. The Dogs Of War (Live)
7. On The Turning Away (Live)

Side 2
1. One Of These Days (Live)
2. Time (Live)
3. Wish You Were Here (Live)
4. Us And Them (Live)
5. Money (Live)
6. Another Brick In The Wall (Part 2) (Live)
7. Comfortably Numb (Live)
8. Run Like Hell (Live)

95 responses to Pink Floyd to reissue 1981 compilation and double live album on vinyl

1. Mark turrell says:

Is delicate like the original vinyl having one less track than the CD version?

2. JueRie says:

great news! preordered! and so, there is hope for a Pulse reissue , too.

3. Mike the Fish says:

Is The Delicate Sound of Thunder following the CD track list?

4. Ben Williams says:

I found a copy of A Collection Of Dance Songs for £2 in a local record shop a few years back.
    Always kind of dug that Money re-version, just for it’s uniqueness – I hope they still use it here!

5. Avitom. says:

I have both on vinyl. Why buy them again? I’m not into al this mambo jumbo of “remastered”.

6. Steven says:

I assume a reissue of pulse will be soon? Would be that in a heartbeat.

7. Avitom. says:

Paul, I follow your suggestion and so I’m signing of and leaving this blog.
    Thanks for all the time you invested which was so important for us collectors.
    Ta ra

8. Frank says:

PFRLP1-PFRLP14: The studio albums from Piper to Division Bell
    PFRLP15 : saved for The Endless River
    PFRLP16: Delicate Sound of Thunder
    PFRLP19: A Collection of Great Dance Songs

So there are at least two more LPs to come (PFRLP17 and 18)

9. Touch1980 says:

Both interesting reissues & hopefully they’ll be up to the usual Floyd high quality.

Sadly they are missing a trick with Delicate Sound Of Thunder by not producing a box set combining the different tracks over the Audio & Video versions along with other recordings taken at the time. Also they could finally put out on DVD / Blu-Ray.

The track I wish they’d add would be ‘The Great Gig In The Sky’ from the VHS/LaserDisc versions, as this is superb.
    The three backing singers Margaret Taylor Durga McBroom & Rachel Fury sing together & do solo spots performing a wonderful version if TGGITS. I have played this many times over many years on all kinds of HiFi systems, usually at ‘Call the Police” volume levels & it never ceases to amaze me how incredible it sounds.

• Mikkel Frank says:

Exactly – a great blu-ray/dvd/cd/sacd deluxe box set with remastered/restored film/audio elements would be great.

10. Stuart says:

Slightly off topic, however is the recent-ish CD digipack version of Delicate Sound of Thunder remastered?

I’ve been trying to find a definitive answer to this for a while, with no luck

• DaveM says:

@Stuart, I picked up DSOT and Pulse on CD on PF records last year from HMV. I am sure they are both remastered – to my ears anyway. TBH I bought them on im-Pulse as the packaging is irresistible. Maybe the forthcoming DSOT vinyl uses the same master?

• Paul says:

Yes, according to the PF music store soI just ordered it yesterday

11. Andrew says:

I don’t understand some of these comments. It was the same with the David Bowie Box set. “Oh I own the sonically superior Ryko release that was a super limited edition release of 50”. “Should you buy this inferior remaster, you are no fan of music and have no relevant opinion or one that matters”.

I also don’t understand the comments regarding the inclusion of product. “Oh why include the CD or why include the vinyl”. Don’t buy it. Don’t comment. No one is holding anything to your head and forcing you.

There is a lot of effort involved in some of these campaigns. Of course the label makes a profit. Surely that’s business??!! You could argue Gilmour and Waters don’t need any more money either. Or the Bowie estate, or McCartney etc etc…

Now, please show me where I can find that aforementioned £2 bargain and I’ll head into town now??? Another constructive comment.

Thanks for all the hard work Paul btw!

• Andrew says:

Apologies, that last comment isn’t really fair as I have re-read it. I know you are not telling people to pick this up for £2!!

• Ben Williams says:

The £2 copy I found was in Vinyl Vault, Cheltenham – in their used vinyl box near the front door. I’d say it was ‘very good’ condition with a little bit of surface noise. I got very lucky at that price! A great shop and a great compilation album.

• StevieDal says:

You make some fair points . It just seems to be a good place for us anoraks to let off some steam !

12. Danny says:

“Delicate sound of thunder” is the album that got me into Pink Floyd, lent to me by a university chum. “A collection of great dance songs” was the first album I bought. Happy days… :)

13. eric says:

My copy of Great Dance songs needs an upgrade!

14. gogandmagog says:

It was filmed, not videoed, so it surely could benefit of Blu-ray, incluiding the complet set of songs

• Mikkel Frank says:

Oh yes, please let an expanded/remastered/restored blu-ray version of ‘Delicate Sound of Thunder’ shine over us! That would be just great. Exactly – sinced it was filmed, it must be possible to remaster/restore the film elemnts digitally and release the (full) concert on blu-ray. Let it shine!

15. Paul Wren says:

I could have sworn that I had a copy of “Delicate” but I’ve just checked and I haven’t! So I’ve ordered it!! This is what this SDE is good at, ie giving me a wake up call from time to time on familiar bands and titles – keep it up, Paul.

16. Ron Martin says:

This sounds great. I’m not into vinyl anymore, but it sounds great for those who are. “Delicate” is still one of my favorite live albums. And thanks for the information regarding the re-recording of “Money” by David.

I am still waiting on a blu-ray version of both “Delicate…” and “Pulse”. I wish they would remaster the CD’s and include the performances from the videos of each that were NOT on the CD’s. It seems silly that we would need to be BOTH the video “and” albums to get all of the performances they released from the tours.

And then I would love a box set for “Animals” with just audio and video content (without the cards, marbles, etc.), PLUS a 5.1 mix! They have issued box sets on almost everything they have released now expect for “Animals” and “The Final Cut” (I think), so maybe next year or the one after?

• Mikkel Frank says:

… also still waiting for a blu-ray version of ‘Delicate Sound of Thunder’ and ‘PULSE’ (+ box sets maybe).

• johnny feathers says:

Unfortunately, Pulse was filmed on video. It’s pretty tough to make it look high-def quality. I’m not sure about DSoT.

17. Simon says:

You would think by now that all the PF albums would have 5.1 mixes but there are only 4 or 5 done,shame really.

18. Peter Muscutt says:

I wouldn’t be surprised if they steered away from ‘The Final Cut’ seeing as it was a Waters solo album in all but name – it sounded like quite a miserable time making the LP if any of the Floyd books are to go by. Not sure there would be that much ‘leftover’ material or unused/alternate tracks from it?

Personally I’d love to see a deluxe version of Waters’ solo album ‘Radio KAOS’ – there were a few non-album tracks to go with it, and including either an audio or DVD/Bluray recording of any of the live shows (including when Roger took questions from the audience in the ‘phone-in’ section!) would be great. I still think that’s quite an underrated album – even if the concept is a bit bonkers!

• Christopher Bloom says:

Hey, I’d buy it that KAOS reissue.

I’d also love to see the same done for The Pros and Cons of Hitch Hiking: There are several extras from that period, plus there’s a well known show from Radio City Music Hall that’s made the rounds among ROIO collectors for a very long time. (I remember having a cassette copy of it circa 1987.) To have an official, mastered version of that show would be a nice thing for the fans as well.

19. Alan says:

I have always like A collection of great dance songs. It was one of the first PF albums on cassette I got back in the late 80s and was a nice sampler of their 70s output. Quite often if I wanted to listen to Shine On You Crazy Diamond I would go to this version as a nice compromise for a more succinct version. I actually rebought it on CD this year, but would probably get a vinyl edition at some point, am currently and slowly picking up the vinyl PF reissues which have been pretty good quality so far.

20. Sean says:

Still waiting for Is There Anybody Out There (The Wall live) on vinyl… it was never released on vinyl (just have a bootleg)

21. Daniel says:

Are these vinyl reissues strictly limited? I’m still about to collect the studio albums.

22. Alan says:

They seem to be freely available in stores and online, so I don’t think there’s any limitedness about them, thankfully.
    I was annoyed when the individual Mono Beatles records started to dry up locally.

23. Kristian says:

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, I don’t get why people get worked up about reissues like this. If you have it already that’s great! I was 7 when Delicate came out, now at 36 I have the opportunity to walk into a store and buy a new copy for myself, something that Grade 2 me wasn’t all that interested in doing. So silly.

24. Michael says:

Aside from the remastered sound, I think these two re-issued Pink Floyd LPs are also worth having for the beautiful album cover images created by Storm Thorgerson and Nick Marchant. I always regretted not purchasing the Delicate Sound of Thunder record when it was first released, since I didn’t own a turntable then and opted for the CD version instead. Having a second chance to add these two vinyl LP titles to my Pink Floyd collection is very welcome news!

25. Andy says:

I bought the Animals reissue recently, despite already having it on vinyl from many years back. My old copy was quite battered, so I wanted a nice fresh version.

I must say I was most disappointed with the reproduction of the cover art. I put them both side-by-side and found the new edition to be massively inferior – it just appears to be totally washed out and the richness of the original lacking. Which is such a shame because it’s one of my favourite album covers.

I don’t know if the other new PF LPs suffer from the same problem, but I have noticed a similar problem with some of the Gabriel-era Genesis covers. It bothers me enough that I won’t even consider buying them.

• David Jakubowski says:

In my opinion, Animals is the only reissue where they seemed to really botch the reproduction of the art. The Dark Side of the Moon is arguably an upgrade as it has a premium, soft touch feel to it that makes it feel luxurious. The Division Bell looks excellent, but is different than the original release—it uses art based on the 25th Anniversary reissue. Everything else is pretty darn close, if not spot-on. YMMV; hope this helps.

• Michael says:

David, I agree. I have all the other PF reissued vinyl LPs, and they sound and look fantastic. “Animals” is the only exception, but only for the reproduction of graphics, wherein someone decided to remove the original amber tint (hence green sky above the factory) from the cover photograph. That decision to colour correct the photo-image, in my opinion, diminished the wonderful surreal quality of one of the greatest record covers in rock history. Like you, that was the only reason I decided not to re-purchase “Animals”. If the album is ever re-issued again with the restored original colour scheme, I will definitely go for it!

26. Jon says:

I have Great Dance songs on Japan half-speed master from back in the day. Must dig it out and give it a spin.

27. Bjarne says:

Will there be remastered CDs as well?

28. Andy says:

@David, thanks for that info – good to know. I do want to get hold of The Division Bell, just waiting for a good deal.

29. Jhon says:

Is there any plan or idea to release these vinyl reissues all together in one box, after all of them are released?

30. CJ Feeney says:

Incidentally JPC.de and Amazon.de are showing a listing for Pink Floyd 1966/1967 orange vinyl+CD+DVD.

• Michael says:

Whoever owns the rights to that PF 66/67 2 song set has really been saturating the market with redundant reissues constantly for the past few years. I don’t have a problem with them putting it out again, but it seems like they’ve issued it numerous times in a short span, again and again.

31. Brian says:

If they are going to start re-issuing Pink Floyd comps, then why not Relics and Works?

• DaveM says:

@Brian, PF records have reissued Relics on CD (96 remaster) and it reverts to the original sleeve. Really nice.

32. Leo Lotti says:

On the day that Gilmour finally decides to re-release footage from the AMLOR Tour (1987-89) in remastered/restored glory, I will buy a bottle of Dom Perignon just to celebrate, cos’ it will be one of the greatest of my life. We could have the Omni Atlanta from 87, Nassau Colisseum from 88 and Venice from 89. Oh, and it wouldn’t Hurt to purchase that remixado from AMLOR anytime soon as well. Is that too much to Dream for?

33. Adrian Grove says:

Disappointed to see no reissue of the CD version of this album

• Michael says:

I’m betting that they’ll slip out a cd of Collection, too, without fanfare like they did with Relics and the hits comps last year on cd… they just appeared in shops with no announcement.

• Mikkel Frank says:

Hopefully there will be a remastered cd of ‘Delicate Sound of Thunder’ – or a 96/24 hi-res download. Or even better – a deluxe box with the/a full concert from that tour (+ a blu-ray with a remastered/restored (full) concert film). Hopefully …

34. Touch1980 says:

Link below for The Delicate Sound Of Thunder version of ‘The Great Gig In The Sky’ Featuring the supreme talents of Margaret Taylor, Durga McBroom & Rachel Fury. I’m not particularly fond of vocal gymnastics e.g Christina Aguilera or Celine Dion but some of the notes the three PF backing singers hit are incredible.

Sit back & turn it up!

35. Charlie Waffles says:

Paul, was Money recorded by Gilmour in 1981 or just recently?

36. Brian Bernardini says:

There’s a fan-made version of DSOT that combines tracks from the album, the laserdisc, and soundboard tapes (tweaked to match the sound of the official releases) to create a complete show from that tour, including “Echoes”. It’s the only way I’ll listen to that album now.

37. Wayne Klein says:

Hope a”Dance” has the remake of “Money” my only reason for buying it.

38. elliott buckingham says:

I had dance songs on the emi fame label it sounded awful very quiet music not very quiet pressing.

39. bertielego says:

Hoping there will be Japanese editions of these vinyl reissues.

The recent studio album reissues with obi replicas are very cool, and I am looking for the same treatmemt for live albums and compilations!

40. Daran says:

Talking of Floyd, did anybody else who went to V&A exhibition feel that there was not enough time allocated to look around / read everything? I was booked on a last slot of the day @ 4pm, and by the ‘The Wall’ section we were being literally pushed through at speed by several V&A staff who were behind us ‘sweeping up’ people (of which there were a lot) to get them through to the performance room before the museum shut. I felt very disappointed by this.

• Andy says:

I thought it was a really good exhibition but they allowed too many people in at any given time.

• Daran says:

It was great, but they should have timed a fair average speed of a comprehensive walk-through of the entre exhibition. They must have assumed most people would not look at some things, or certainly not read all the text on the displays. One and a half hours was not enough for a visit, but enough to cram in the slots they wanted each day.

• Touch1980 says:

4pm was far too late to start IMHO unless you read next to nothing & didn’t watch all the video material but what would be the point of going if that was the case. I was with two other people & we really poured over every detail, ticket time was 10:45 & we came out of the exhibition after 15:00.

• Daran says:

So you must have been in there across multiple tour start times? And they were ok with that? Good for you Touch, but tbh that makes me feel even more cheated…. I assumed everybody got the same time allocation and were cleared out before the next tour started. I had to get the 4pm slot because of other trips planned and assumed the V&A had timed it as a 1.5 hr exhibition. But even then by the time they had gotten the last people in queue (I was one of last) with headphones sorted etc it was more like a 4.15 start time anyway.

• Touch1980 says:

I did not see any V&A staff ushering visitors along but that was probably due to the time of the day we were there. I’m guessing later in the day that was more likely. There were times when I had to queue to look at certain displays & I fortunately had the time to do so. I think 1.5 hrs as far as the museums timing is concerned is taking the p**s. They should have allowed more time for the last ticket holders each day.

41. Dean T says:

I think you were cleared out off the v&a because it was closing time .

• Daran says:

Yes, that is why Dean and not in dispute. My question and annoyance is why create a 4pm tour slot for same price as all the other time slots, knowing full well that this group of people won’t get anywhere near enough time to see everything and will have to be cleared out / hurried through for closing tine in a way no other time slots are. Hardly seems fair does it…

That’s a reasonable point, I think.

• johnny feathers says:

I’m looking forward to seeing this, assuming it hits the states/Chicago area. Judging by my experience with the David Bowie Is exhibit, I can easily take 3+ hours to go through something like this, so it’s good to know I should go on the early side.

42. Mikkel Frank says:

A bit confused: The Pink Floyd store/home posted is listing a ‘remastered’ cd version of ‘Delicate SOund of Thunder’ (http://pinkfloyd.bandstores.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=PS_PNKF_0086) but is it REALLY a remaster or is it ‘just’ the plain old 1988 version of the cd?
    Earlier on ordering this version of the cd from the Pink Floyd store/home page appeared to be ‘just’ the plain old 1988 version.

Hopefully the (re)release of the remastered vinyl LP version of ‘Delicate Sound of Thunder’ (“remastered from the original analogue tapes by James Guthrie, Joel Plante and Bernie Grundman”) will be followed by a (REALLY) remastered cd version of ‘Delicate SOund of Thunder’.

43. Graham says:

I have Delicate Sound on Cassette… cassette!!!! Played it to death in the car at the time but honestly not the best way to enjoy the artwork. I’m with the posters who would stump for a Blu Ray and CD rerelease of this. I haven’t heard it for years but as I said..it’s on bloody cassette… what was I thinking?

• Mikkel Frank says:

HEAR! HEAR! Let’s have a proper remastered/restored blu-ray/cd/sacd/hi-res rerelease of ‘Delicate Sound of Thunder’ – full concert, other concerts recordings/videos from that tour, deluxe box-edition. It would be so nice … PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE!

44. johnny feathers says:

As big an album as DSoT was for me and my appreciation for Pink Floyd back when I was in college, I feel like it’s become one of the most justifiably overlooked albums in their catalog. Everything it did, Pulse arguably did better. I still enjoy it from a nostalgic standpoint, but otherwise it doesn’t get listened to much at all anymore.

Not that I’d buy vinyl anyway–I just don’t see any particular need for a remaster.

45. Dean T says:

Always a treat to get new Floyd vinyl .
    Would still like to see the two cd early years set on vinyl ,would make a fabulous four lp set.